ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Turn Signal indicator problem!

Its been going on for a while, just kept forgetting to ask. When I installed the LED's in my dash, the left turn signals wont activate the indicator. The actual blinkers flash but the indicator doesnt. However the right side works fine! Indicator works just fine.

Its not a huge issue but I keep forgetting the left turn signals are on

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I'd put my money on you having a polarity-sensitive LED dash indicator bulb (very common and [relatively] easily fixed). If you do the diode mod, I think it'll fix it.

An easy test for ya: Pull the bulb out of the socket and flip it, so it's plugged opposite how it was. Then try your blinkers. I'll bet it starts blinking for the left side, but not the right.

Why:
Incandescent bulbs (at least the kind we've got in the dash) will light regardless which way the electrons are flowing, or more to the point, which way you put 'em into the socket. Most LEDs though, only work one way, so polarity is important.

The way the blinker indicator is wired, the bulb connects to one pole of each side of the blinkers (e.g. 'hot' for the right side and 'hot' for the left) making the entire flasher signal system a single circuit, in effect. Once the voltage that powers either the left or right blinker pairs reaches the indicator, it's only got enough "juice" left for one more bulb (the dash indicator). The bulbs on the other side (the side you didn't mean to light) still get some power, but it's not enough to light them, unless you've installed LED turn signals. To get the LED dash to work right, you need to designate one pole as "hot" and the other as "ground" which is accomplished (along with other things) when you do the diode mod.

After the diode mod, the light will only work in one orientation in the socket, but it should light for both sides of the blinkers.

Instructions and diagrams for the diode mod are available here:
How to build the diode bridge
Where to install it, whether you built it yourself or bought one
Diagram of above & how it fits into the circuit

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
I'd put my money on you having a directional LED dash indicator. If you do the diode mod, I think it'll fix it.

Explanation to come
That makes sense, However If I remember correctly, I tested the stock bulb (non polarity dependent) it still didnt flash I have to double check, next time the bike is apart. But I could be wrong (probably am )

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Momaru

Hehe, sounds like you already knew what I just spent 10mins typing. All the better

Definitely let me know if the test I suggested doesn't work and/or if the stock bulb doesn't work for the left signal. If that's the case, I'd suspect a ground (possibly damaged wire or connector) between the front left bulb and the indicator.

Old June 16th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #5
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2109 View Post
That makes sense, However If I remember correctly, I tested the stock bulb (non polarity dependent) it still didnt flash I have to double check, next time the bike is apart. But I could be wrong (probably am )
Its the LEDs we installed, i am having the exact same issue, we just crapped out and when we tested them happened to turn them to the one side that flashes lol.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #6
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
Hehe, sounds like you already knew what I just spent 10mins typing. All the better

Definitely let me know if the test I suggested doesn't work and/or if the stock bulb doesn't work for the left signal. If that's the case, I'd suspect a ground (possibly damaged wire or connector) between the front left bulb and the indicator.
Ok, I'll take a look, thanks And sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
Its the LEDs we installed, i am having the exact same issue, we just crapped out and when we tested them happened to turn them to the one side that flashes lol.
So yours is doing it too?

Old June 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #7
martinizing
ninjette.org member

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r Special Edition 25th Anniversary

Mmm , that's why my dash don't blink but I also realize when I put 1st into 2nd the neutral blink a little bit also 2nd into 1st.

so , the only way can fix is to do the diode mod?
martinizing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 02:52 PM   #8
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinizing View Post
Mmm , that's why my dash don't blink but I also realize when I put 1st into 2nd the neutral blink a little bit also 2nd into 1st.

so , the only way can fix is to do the diode mod?
There are other possible causes, but this seemed most likely to me given what the OP said. Was your dash turn indicator not blinking, or not coming on at all, or not working for just one side like the OP? If it's like he OP, I would say that the diode mod is the easiest way to fix it (assuming the tests I suggested yield the results I'm expecting). I've heard they do make polarity insensitive LED bulbs, but I'm not sure how much they cost or where to get them.

I suspect the LED for your neutral indicator is likely to blink a little when going between 1st & 2nd (shifting up or down) because the LED needs so little power to light that even the momentary, slight power provided by the neutral indicator switch (when it passed by N when changing between 1 & 2 [and from 2 to 1]) is enough to get it to come on briefly. I honestly don't know how to fix that one, other than putting a capacitor or timer in the system. That said, I haven't looked at that wiring before.

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Quote:
I suspect the LED for your neutral indicator is likely to blink a little when going between 1st & 2nd (shifting up or down) because the LED needs so little power to light that even the momentary, slight power provided by the neutral indicator switch (when it passed by N when changing between 1 & 2 [and from 2 to 1]) is enough to get it to come on briefly. I honestly don't know how to fix that one, other than putting a capacitor or timer in the system. That said, I haven't looked at that wiring before.
Yup, I see it all the time, Kinda annoying, but not too bad

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Momaru

And now that I think about it, I'm fairly sure even my stock incandescent neutral light does that.

Old June 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM   #11
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

It's the LEDs, Sharon just took the 250 apart and we put the stock bulb back in an it flashes left and right now, change back to stock and you should be good
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Momaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok View Post
It's the LEDs, Sharon just took the 250 apart and we put the stock bulb back in an it flashes left and right now, change back to stock and you should be good
Back to stock's no fun. Gotta have your cake and eat it too
But if that's what ya'll are going with, I'm almost curious enough to bypass my diode mod, restore my stock incandescent signals and if I can duplicate your symptom. Almost.
Maybe this weekend if I don't wind up working.

Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:17 PM   #13
kennetht
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

i just put in all leds on my dash, and i am having the problem where my led blinkers are working fine, but my dash blinker indicator does not illuminate at all.

i have a diode kit installed.

prior to putting leds in my dash, the blinker indicator stopped working a few weeks ago. i figured the bulb burnt out, but now since the led bulb is not working too, i think there is a more underlying issue at hand.

any ideas what it could be?
kennetht is offline   Reply With Quote