ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:14 AM   #1
NavyNinjaDoc
Navy Ninja Doc

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 kawasaki ninja 250R

Oil, Chain, and Clipon questions?

I am going to sound like a total newb here, but I dont care because it is for the greater good. I have a bike with 2000 miles on it roughly, runs great bought it from someone who gave me all of the maintance logs...it is all up to date and everything seems to be in order. I have put 250 miles on the bike, and I was wondering when I should lube the chain? and when should I do the first oil change? Also what is the glass window on the right side of the bike? Is this an oil level indicator? If so, When the bike is sitting level and running where sould the line be?

I feel like an ass for not knowing about it, but hey that is why I joined this forum in the first place...to learn! Any help would be appreciated!

On a side note, anyone have any thoughts on the Woodcraft clipons?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 04:57 AM   #2
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Lube chain every 400-600miles I think it states in the owners manual. Change the oil whenever you want. I forget what the manual has it at. I change mine roughly every 3-4K miles. The glass is for oil and the bike should be upright and not running to check the level. As far as clipons just do a search and you'll find eveything you need to know.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 05:20 AM   #3
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Welcome!

Regular service such as chain clean/lube are at your discretion as far as frequency goes. There is always posted guidance, as mentioned above, but you can do it more frequently if you like.

Being out here in the desert I tend to clean, lube, brush, and blow most parts on my bike way more often than usual. Since it has been raining the last few weeks (wtf) I now have what looks to be an enduro and I will be doing a full on lube. So it really is subjective within reason.

As far as clip ons, I have the woodcrafts and they are great. 0 problems whatsoever, clearance is fine. I would like to lower my front end a bit more and that is the only limited factor however you can always raise the back a bit to get the same effect. A member on the board has them at a great price, racebikerentals.com.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:42 AM   #4
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Get and read the owner's manual. you will learn a lot about your bike.
I would recommend Dupont Teflon spray lube for the chain, clean, easy, no mess, no sand or road dirt sticks to it, and it works well. Comes in a blue spray can, avail at Loews, Walmart, Ace Hardware, auto stores, etc, about $8 a can.
The oil level is measured with the bike upright, cold, (ie, before a ride), the level should be halfway between the two marks, and should theoretically be checked before the first ride every day or after a really long ride before the next one. The choices for oils are many, read all the arguments for and suggestions on the forum.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote