ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 16th, 2015, 11:10 AM   #1
tjthreat
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Confusing electrical problem

Hi everyone, this is my first post and I actually joined the site a few days before this happened, good timing in my mind.

First of all, I do not know electrical systems. Mechanical side I am so-so, but I have no idea about the electrical. To the problem:

Bike was running fine day before. Went out in the morning, turned the key and oil and neutral light came on as usual. Pushed the starter and there was a pop (electrical sounding) and the engine did a half turn. Now the lights were off. I turned the key off and then on again and there were no lights. I thought fuse, but checked all of them, all good (at least all the ones on the right side fuse box, including the 30 next to the box). Disconnected and checked battery, holding 12.38V, reconnected battery. So I bump started it.

Here is where it goes weird. Once it started the tachometer was reading 8-9K and bouncing around that area. The engine was only doing 3-5K judging by sound. All lights, including headlight were really dim. I was sitting there confused when I grabbed the front brake. As soon as the brake lights went on the engine and tachometer went to the normal ~2k (it was cold so choke was on) and the lights brightened. It did the same thing with back brake and found that the solution had nothing to do with pressure on the brakes, just the lights activating were making the difference. While the brake was activated I still couldn't get it past 4K rpm without the tachometer bouncing around.

Any thoughts?

Like I said I don't know electrical systems (but I am a quick learner), so if all your wisdom can't help I will have to take it in.

Thank you,
TJ
tjthreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2015, 11:14 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
check your engine ground near the oil fill. wouldn't hurt to check the battery connections also

Old February 16th, 2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Agreed, bad battery connections, check both grounds, and the connections at the starter solenoid.

Don't forget to report back, dismissed

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #4
tjthreat
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
check your engine ground near the oil fill. wouldn't hurt to check the battery connections also
Looked at ground and battery connections. Didn't have long to look because the bike is still at my work, where it gave up, and I don't get it back till tomorrow. They look fine, but when you say "check" is there something more that visually checking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Agreed, bad battery connections, check both grounds, and the connections at the starter solenoid.

Don't forget to report back, dismissed
When I put the key in the lights came on again and I tried to start it. The pop happened again and I believe it came from the starter soleniod. I will take a look when I get it back tomorrow, but beside the bike not starting, is there some way to test the solenoid?

Thanks again,
TJ

Old February 16th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjthreat View Post

Like I said I don't know electrical systems (but I am a quick learner), so if all your wisdom can't help I will have to take it in.
Welcome, Tim !!!

Please, take a look at these:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...attery_is_dead

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...y_terminals%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_relays_work%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_...ike_from_a_car
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2015, 06:44 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:
Looked at ground and battery connections. Didn't have long to look because the bike is still at my work, where it gave up, and I don't get it back till tomorrow. They look fine, but when you say "check" is there something more that visually checking?

When I put the key in the lights came on again and I tried to start it. The pop happened again and I believe it came from the starter soleniod. I will take a look when I get it back tomorrow, but beside the bike not starting, is there some way to test the solenoid?

Thanks again,
TJ
When I say to check connections, I mean to remove, and clean them ALL!

Once you've done that, if the problem still persists, you can take a screwdriver and touch it across the two big terminals on the top of the starter solenoid, this is how to bypass it for testing purposes.

You might need a new solenoid, no worries they not expensive

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Soleno...+250+1986-2010 I have this exact one, 4,300 miles and no issues whatsoever.

ZX-2R BLOG

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 20th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #7
tjthreat
ninjette.org newbie

Well it is fixed. Turns out that while the battery was holding a charge, it was actually dead. I did not know that could happen, but reading through the links that Motofool provided I decided to jump the bike with my car. I was able to so I ordered a new battery. Just got back from a trip and was able to install it. Started right up. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I now have nice and clean connections

TJ

Old February 20th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #8
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Well it is fixed. Turns out that while the battery was holding a charge, it was actually dead. I did not know that could happen, but reading through the links that Motofool provided I decided to jump the bike with my car. I was able to so I ordered a new battery. Just got back from a trip and was able to install it. Started right up. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I now have nice and clean connections

TJ
Bad cell in the battery, classic

ZX-2R BLOG

Old February 23rd, 2015, 08:48 PM   #9
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

I learned the same lesson once. If you monitor the voltage while cranking it will tell you what you need to know.