ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old June 12th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Won cheap SV650 clip-ons from eBay...

I just won some SV650-style clip-ons from eBay for pretty cheap: $46.07 for a set, which is less than many sellers wanted for a single side's bar. Now, the old Kawiforums thread on this mod, while descriptive, lacks installation pics. Some members still have some comparison shots and images showing the end-results, but I still have no idea what the shim things look like or what they are talking about with using washers under the triple clamp.

I want to start a thread here to have all that info, especially now that the old 2008 Kawiforums thread has fallen into disrepair. Heck, I can't even post with my iPhone for some reason (text fields are grayed out). They probably want me to buy their "Motorcycle.com" app ($3).

I will be sending payment tonight and documenting everything I can, but I am not a very mechanical person and, to be honest, I hope I don't mess things up! In other words I need as much advice as I can get.

That said, I want to do things a little bit differently. I'd like to make them black to match the bike's frame and hide the wear and tear my triple has taken over the years with a little paint (mine took longer to wear than most people's because I capped my other keys with the lids from ink pens). At the same time, I want to take the rust off the forks and find some way to keep it from forming (I commute rain or shine). Also, I wanna know how to tell if my forks are still sealed and contain oil because I saw a couple drops on top of my front fender years ago and had an inexplicable blast of dark droplets from under my windscreen earlier this year. Any advice on these fronts is appreciated.

Next, I know that it will require me to grind a pin off each clip-on so that they will fit flush under the triple clamp (the SV650 triple clamp has a couple holes for the pins to fit into). I have the $6 rotary tool from Harbor Freight with the accessory kit. Will this do the trick? What accessory/bit do I use for grinding metal? I will be working in a parking space with no electrical access so I hope it's something I can do in-doors.

I also hear that I will lose the ability to use the handlebar lock due to some way which they are mounted, but this is another example where the lack of images hurts my understanding. Is the lock no longer able to engage with the triple clamp because it's raised up or something? Is there any way around this? Why don't the Woodcraft clip-ons have this problem or do they? They also mount below the triple clamp and have risers, which is the style I wanted to pursue on the cheap.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2011, 04:27 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OK, they're here.

photo.jpg

Not sure why it's upside-down. It isn't on my phone. *shrug*

My eBay bar-ends fit fine, though it's tough to get them to set since they aren't the rubber type of expanders. The right-side bar was still plugged with rubber and an aluminum tube, so I found some place else to mount the bar-end (has a threaded hole on top).

I screwed into the rubber and pulled it out (washer came out too). I'm not ready to install them yet but I threw my old stock grip on one side to see what it looks like.

I realize now that each clip-on is one-piece, so I can't just buy a new bar if one gets bent. Even so, I want to paint the clamp parts black like the Woodcraft ones (maybe the whole thing to appear OEM).

Old June 21st, 2011, 05:15 PM   #3
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Don't forget you'll probably also need to drill a new hole for the pins that are on each the throttle housing assembly and left side control assembly.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2011, 05:13 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
Don't forget you'll probably also need to drill a new hole for the pins that are on each the throttle housing assembly and left side control assembly.
Thanks. The only mention I see in Cajuntlr's original thread is that I need to snip it off so that I don't have to drill a hole and can adjust the placement until I have clearance.

Old July 7th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #5
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Thanks. The only mention I see in Cajuntlr's original thread is that I need to snip it off so that I don't have to drill a hole and can adjust the placement until I have clearance.
You could do that. The only problem you might have then is that the controls may turn back and forth a little bit.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2011, 11:11 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Still haven't had the time to work on mine but I spotted this on the splash page:
439473112_uejry-M.jpg