ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 4th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #1
splitfire
ninjette.org member

Name: rodney

Motorcycle(s): ninja 2011 250r

How long before Radiator fan kicks in

I bought a used ninja 09. I checked everything seems to be fine but only 1 thing i am concerned about is my cooling system. I already put through 500kms on my bike since i bought it a month ago. I ride at least 30mins going to work my weather temp is at 5 to 15 deg celcius. I never heard or seen my radiator fan turning on. I have enough coolant and when i ride my bike i touched the radiator hose and it gets warm that means its circulating thermostat is working. But the fan never turns on. Is there anyway to test the fan or maybe theres a relay or switch . That i need to check?
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #2
Schweedo
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2007 YZF600R

Mine has only come on once and it was in bad traffic on a very warm day before I flushed my system and put new coolant in. When I refilled it I went for a 5-10 min ride and when I got home let it idle for a few minutes revving the engine a little bit here and there until it came on. Topped off the coolant after that and haven't had it come on since. Most likely it's nothing to worry about but somebody might know an easier way to check.
Schweedo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Mine comes on only when riding very slowly or stop-and-go for quite a while, like when my Daughter took her "skills test" for her license. If you're moving steadily, plenty of air flows through the radiator, and the fan isn't needed.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2017, 04:29 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
As long as the temperature stays within normal limits the fan may not come on. As we get closer to summer and the outside temp goes up you will see it come on and come on more often.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It's because you don't have enough miles under your belt yet. After some more experience riding you will get a FAN, at least one...

Under normal riding conditions, even in warmer climate... if you keep moving, the fan rarely kicks on. It's a known thing with 250's, they bleed off the heat pretty good. Even riding track they don't come on all that often!

Hmmm... another thought, you might want to flush your coolant next time you have a nice Sat. for bike maintenance. Part of that procedure will be to burp the system and during that process, your fan should come on.

Good luck and happy riding!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #6
Z1R rider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
One of my bikes that is track only, doesn't even have a fan and I never see it get any warmer (even on hot days) than the others that do have fans. Of course it never sees the street and doesn't idle for any length of time, but I've only seen the fan run on the other bikes once, 95+ that day and in town riding.

Old April 5th, 2017, 06:02 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Your fan is commanded to start by a thermal switch in the left top corner of your radiator.
The switch or connectors could be bad if fan stays off when the temperature indicator shows close to the red zone.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2017, 06:25 AM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You can test the fan by unplugging the connector from that switch and using a piece of wire to jumper the two female connectors on the plug together. Use caution of course, since the fan will probably start spinning.

To test the switch without running the motorcycle, you'd have to take it off and monitor its resistance while heating it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.