Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 24th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #1
Brad92
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Ninja 650 or Z650 Help me decide!

Hey everyone,

I want to upgrade from my 2012 ninja 250 to either the 2017 ninja 650r or the 2017 Z650.

I also am leaning towards ABS for safety but was completely content with no abs on my 250 so if anyone has a solid reason to not get the ABS ill stay no ABS.

Which model would you choose? I know they are really similar and essentially the same bike but theres enough differences for me to ask other riders.

Personal info about my riding:
Bike is used daily for work commute, about 100 miles or so a day if need be.
New York highways mostly so lots of congestion
I was comfortable on the 250 but definitely felt cramped on any tucking. vibration wise and comfort otherwise was fine.
Brad92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I know a couple of riders who have avoided crashing due to having ABS, so it's a handy feature to have if you can get it.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #3
frud
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I had a Ninja 650 after my 250 and it was a wonderful bike. It's really a matter of preference between the Z and the Ninja, they are both basically the same bike with the same engine and riding position. For me it came down to the adjustable windscreen and aesthetics... being that you're going to be commuting on it I'd say you should go for the ninja. Oh and definitely go with the ABS, your life is worth the extra few dollars.
frud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #4
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

I'd also add the FZ07 to your list. In general, everyone considers it a better bike.

Old July 25th, 2017, 06:18 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I think you need to go to the dealer and sit on each and compare. See what feels best to you. Read some reviews.

The new 650 Ninja looks sharp, but may have a more aggressive position than you like.

The Z is going to be roomier (I'm pretty sure), but will lack any amount of wind protection. That may or may not be an issue.

Best is if they will let you test ride one.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 25th, 2017, 11:34 AM   #6
Brad92
ninjette.org member

How bad would the difference with wind be from the 650r and z650 for highway riding. It can't be dangerous can it?

Old July 25th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #7
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad92 View Post
How bad would the difference with wind be from the 650r and z650 for highway riding. It can't be dangerous can it?
Noticeable, but not dangerous.

I've had sport bikes with fairings and without. Your helmet is still in the wind on the majority of sport bikes, but the fairings take some of the wind from your chest and legs. A big tank bag on a naked-bike (like the Z) helps reduce the wind on your chest quite a bit.

It's most noticeable on the hwy of course, and hardy much difference in town.

Old July 25th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #8
Brad92
ninjette.org member

So as a commuter bike the z650 seems like the go To. Sat on it today and damn it's light.

Would you lean towards a z650 or 650r given all my information

Old July 25th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad92 View Post
So as a commuter bike the z650 seems like the go To. Sat on it today and damn it's light.

Would you lean towards a z650 or 650r given all my information
Add this to all your information:
Kawasaki Z650 vs. Suzuki SV650 vs. Yamaha FZ-07 - COMPARISON TEST

Statements regarding the Z650:
  • generates vibration in the seat, handlebar, and footpegs
  • produces the least power
  • awkward ergos
  • commuting seems laborious

Almost seems like I'm trying too hard to talk you out of a bike you have your heart set on. As for the Ninja 650, I had one and hated it. But to each his own. Every bike is perfect for somebody out there.

Old July 25th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #10
Brad92
ninjette.org member

No need for most power or I'd choose the Yamaha. Leaning on kawasaki for the abs option, and the fact it feels closest to my 250r. My sole reason for upgrade is to have just that little kick more for the highway. Really sucks you can't test ride anywhere near me. The fz07 or mt07 would be my choice if abs was available. The Suzuki for me I ruledon't out from the start, just not a fan really.

My goal is to ride the closest feeling to the 250r with more go and comfort

Old July 26th, 2017, 06:16 AM   #11
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
As Zaph noted - the Z isn't exactly the class leader.

It may be fine for you, but do consider other options - especially if you want to buy new.

I have a couple SV650s ('00 and '06), both nakeds, and like them a lot. The new 2017 SV doesn't thrill me, and I'd probably go with the FZ-07 if I were to replace the newer SV (which I'm not planning to do).

If you ever plan to sell it (nobody buying a new bike ever plans to sell it...) the Z is going to be more difficult to sell and you will lose more.

Check insurance to see if there is a significant cost difference in any of the models you are considering as well. The "nakeds" may be considerably less due to the lack of bodywork.

One more thing - don't ever buy an Extended Warranty from a dealer as "peace of mind".

Last futzed with by jkv45; July 26th, 2017 at 08:47 AM.

Old July 26th, 2017, 08:07 AM   #12
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
solid reason for not getting ABS: a lot easier to work on and overhaul your braking systems.
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2017, 12:21 PM   #13
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Did you ever have a 300? There's $650 Kawasaki offer to "upgrade" to a 650.

I didn't get a chance to try the Z650. I got bumped (for some free swag). I did ride the Ninja 650 and wasn't impressed. The suspension felt soft even at regular speeds. I liked the SV650 and FZ-07.

If it's just a tool for commuting, maybe insurance will be the determining factor. I wouldn't be surprised if the FZ-07 costs way more to insure. High fun / $$ vehicles always seem to attract the less responsible...

Do they do demos at the IMS in NYC? Maybe you can test ride them then.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #14
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Well which do you do more commute to work or drop the bike?

Commuting to and from work you will appreciate the fairing on the Ninja. Even though it isn't very big it does give you quite a bit of protection from the elements and wind blast.

But if you drop the bike often that plastic breaks and is expensive to replace, so then you would want the Z650.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #15
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
My $0.02:

When I test-rode an FZ-07 last year I really liked it a lot. Not ridden the z650 or the current-generation Ninja 650. When I did test-ride a Ninja 650 in 2011 or thereabouts I found it to be a competent transportation appliance that didn't particularly excite me (but note that my daily ride is a supersport). The new one is probably rather different.

Naked vs. faired... upright, naked bikes are all the rage right now. My first bike was a naked pseudo-cruiser (1982 Suzuki GS650GL). After a year or two I was looking at windshields....

The fact is that if you ride for extended periods on the highway on an upright naked bike, the wind blast gets pretty old. Yeah you can lean into it, but there's no fairing to hide behind. But this is a very personal thing. Given that you're doing the NYC commute, it's unlikely you're maintaining speed for very long anyway.

The flip side is that no plastics means less weight, less to get trashed, easier access for maintenance.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #16
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
If you ever plan to sell it (nobody buying a new bike ever plans to sell it...) the Z is going to be more difficult to sell and you will lose more.
Yup, and sometimes people sell newly purchased bikes in 2 weeks with 100 miles on it. And they take a total no lube ass raping on it because they bought new. It makes me laugh when I see someone selling a used bike for $2000 over MSRP and it has a lien on it too. everyone thinks they know what they want, but they don't.

To the OP: Look on craigslist at the value of used Ninja 650's. They are rock bottom because nobody wants them. That's got to tell you something. If you really want a Kawasaki 650, get a Versys. Much better suspension, seat and riding position. And get it used, they are cheap too.

Old July 29th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #17
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Yup, and sometimes people sell newly purchased bikes in 2 weeks with 100 miles on it. And they take a total no lube ass raping on it because they bought new. It makes me laugh when I see someone selling a used bike for $2000 over MSRP and it has a lien on it too. everyone thinks they know what they want, but they don't.
Ya - they buy it at over list price, then add another $1000 for a 3 year "bumper to bumper" extended warranty so they "don't have to worry about anything" for 3 years - then sell it in less than 1.

Then they think they can get that money back when they want to sell it...

Old July 29th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #18
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Ya - they buy it at over list price, then add another $1000 for a 3 year "bumper to bumper" extended warranty so they "don't have to worry about anything" for 3 years - then sell it in less than 1.

Then they think they can get that money back when they want to sell it...
Oh it's worse than that, hahah. In addition to the extended warranty, sales people try to hook you with a service plan too. Then they add a ridiculous setup fee, a freight fee and a documentation fee. (none of which is real, factories set MSRP with those costs in mind. It's just ADP, additional dealer profit) Then tack on the usual tax title and license. Woah, does that seem like a lot of money, well you can finance it. Still a big monthly payment? well we can lower that with a 7 year plan. Never mind the cost off financing at that interest rate. At the end of it all the poor fool paid double the MSRP. Then 2 weeks later... Well I'm not really into this bike. Lol.

Buying a new bike is almost never the right choice for anyone. Maybe a better deal for new old stock a dealer is tired of seeing around. Last year I bought my new old stock Ninja 1000 for half MSRP. Poor fools were trying to get $2 or $3K more for used models of the same year on craigslist.

Old August 6th, 2017, 11:18 AM   #19
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

I tell you what the Z is a super nice looking bike but it would definitely be a "second bike" for me. Meaning I would have two. Not sure it's something I would want to ride 100mi a day. I drove my friends Grom for about 50mi today coincidentally and it is super fun. I cannot stress the word fun enough with this style of bike. Totally loved it but not sure I could make it a daily driver. The 650R might be my next bike as well. Have you test rode a newer R6? Yamaha has become a force to be reckoned with. I don't know that I would buy a brand new bike. Could you do something a couple years old? But nothing wrong with brand new obviously if that's what you want. Just wouldn't buy a 2017 Z. The Grom is a b***h for all these guys to sell as well. Seen tons of people buy them early May and already selling them but selling them way too expensive. A buyer doesn't care what YOU put into the bike. They'll pay what it's worth. If you've only got room for one bike I would go with the 650r all day. And hell yeah I would get ABS if I could. I've never owned a bike with ABS but obviously that's the way to go if you can. Good luck let us know what you decide!

Old August 9th, 2017, 09:38 PM   #20
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
I owned a Kawasaki ER-6n before. In terms of engine, i believe the new Ninja or Z 650 is reliable as the older models. As for daily rides, I supposed naked is a better option as you may encounter heavy traffics along the road to work. ABS is a good thing to have. As what Kerry (CaliGrrl) said; I also have known others which have not been in an accident due to having the ABS feature.

Keep us posted with what model you finally decide. Ride safe.