ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Anybody not own a car?

Just wondering if anybody here owns only a motorcycle and what they think of it. I'm a 19yo college student considering just owning a bike. Parents think I should own a car and motorcycle but this is expensive and I'm not sure if it's necessary if I'll be living on campus in the fall?
JBizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I think that if you have a way to get around when you suddenly can't use the bike for any reason, then just the bike is fine. Since you're living on campus, just the bike shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't need to haul crap around.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #3
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

19 College student no car, Wish i had a car SOMETIMES but the cost is not worth it imo. I also do not have a job because I was able to secure scholarships enough to be payed to go to school. I would have to get a job to pay for a car.... No thanks. Only downside is you can't take anyone anywhere like a girl or something unless you got a helmet since you live in FL your licensed plat probably says under 21. So either have and extra helmet or you probably get pulled over. But if you have a girlfriend or a girl really likes you I don't think not having a car would be a problem. Personally i wouldn't put someone i care about on the back of my bike just because I wouldn't want anything to happen to them.

My advice is to see how much it cost for your car(gas + insurance+ maintenance) and ask yourself is it worth it. For me the answer is no, for you it may be diffeent

Edit: didn't notice you said living on campus. Sell the car

Edit2: Not sure what part of FL you live in? Guessing north since there's a lot more Universities up there. But sell the car and buy some nice gear, for winter and summer so you can be comfortable and safe all year round. buy waterproof everything.

When i was working i would have to ride rain or shine and I kinda liked riding in the rain. It's fun and a change of pace. Better on the way home though and not on the way to school or work.

BTW what car do you have?
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Bikes can hold a surprising amount of stuff. You can have bookbags and tank bags, tail bags and saddlebags, a little trunk space and whatever you fit on your person. That being said, It'll never amount to the trunk space of a car but you have to weigh the pros and cons. Consider weather conditions, how often you travel, do you have any other travel options if need be? It's all important stuff to consider and only you know all the specifics of your situation. Try to take an objective outlook on it. Out of curiosity do you already own both a car and a bike?

Old May 14th, 2013, 09:22 PM   #5
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

You live in Florida...... It rains almost every afternoon in the summer. If you plan on wearing a jacket you will bake in the sun, not to mention your helmet will smell like doo doo in 4 days.

Buy a junker car and learn to tinker, ride at night for entertainment.

For the record I'm in south florida and currently have no car.... not by choice mind you. Luckily I work at home and don't need to commute.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I live in Indiana with 4 seasons. I do not own a car. Winters lately have been mid Dec - early March. Between those months, I'll still ride as long as the roads aren't icy. If they are, I either walk to work or take public trans (which is really good in my city).

When I lived alone, I'd go shopping every two weeks (could fit a bout $75 of well planned groceries in my backpack/tank bag). The only time I wish I had a car was when I wanted to get a cat. Apparently the animal shelter had a problem with me taking a cat home on the back of a motorcycle (kidding...). Asking to borrow a car or bum a ride isn't fun, but it's rare.

I recommend that you give it a shot. You're in Florida so weather shouldn't be too bad ever. Get some good rain gear and make sure you learn some techniques to riding in the rain (you might even grow to like it).

Personally, I feel like the minor disadvantages out weight paying for a car, it's insurance, and it's upkeep.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #7
krolinked
Nerd

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ducati Hyperstrada

I am haz only two motorcycle and 0 cars. No problem yet. And if i ever need a car I am only have to ask mother and papa and they say yes take car no problem child.

Old May 15th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #8
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I went from cars to not owning one for ten years. I rode bicycles a scooter and motorcycles. Best money and convenience was the scooter. Hands down the best. Scooter was 800 used. I could haul four bags of groceries and a case of coke. No problem. no insurance and 80 mpg.

Old May 15th, 2013, 01:06 AM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
You can't get blowies on the backseat of a ninja.

Just sayin'
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 02:53 AM   #10
Solunatic
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1990 Ninja 250 "Jolene"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post

Just sayin'

I call bullshit. ya just gotta get more creative

I'm not moto only at the moment but the car is going up for sale soon. was moto only for two years, and yes it takes adjusting but get creative with your luggage and you can still shop at costco. I mean, those crazy bastards on the big continent haul their whole families and the chickens too. The girl issue is kind of annoying, but if you're on campus i doubt that'll be much of an issue. One other perk, is no one ever asks you to DD. Sure, you've got to DD yourself sometimes but I find usually if you show up somewhere they'll make room for motorcycle dude on the floor somewhere. I always carry a sample size deodorant, toothbrush and paste just in case.

The biggest bitch about moto only? "Now how in the hell do i get this pizza home??"
Solunatic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 03:19 AM   #11
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solunatic View Post

The biggest bitch about moto only? "Now how in the hell do i get this pizza home??"
Bungees of course! I just did that yesterday! Two of em!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #12
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I went from cars to not owning one for ten years. I rode bicycles a scooter and motorcycles. Best money and convenience was the scooter. Hands down the best. Scooter was 800 used. I could haul four bags of groceries and a case of coke. No problem. no insurance and 80 mpg.
+1

I'm in the same boat, havn't owned a car since... 2007

I've saved so much money in insurance, parking tickets (since bikes have unlimited parking, cars park in timed slots) and petrol.

If I were to get a bike bigger than the Ninja, a top box would be my very next purchase, i've had top boxes on all my scooters and they are great.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:31 AM   #13
contact148
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250 2013 GSXR 600

no screw that I have 3 cars + the ninja of course i live where we have winter so I cant ride the ninja for several months
contact148 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #14
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

I do have a car, but it just sits a lot. Yesterday I went to get something out of it and I noticed that the dome light didn't come on. Oops. The car sat for so long the battery went dead. Oh well.

But having a car does come in handy when the weather is really bad or you have to haul something too big for the bike. Of course you probably have friends with pickups that can fill the void.

If you have a girlfriend, letting her ride on the back with her arms around you is kinda fun. If you don't have a girlfriend, rest assured, that will change because Ninjas are well known babe magnets. Toyota cellicas are not.

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #15
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Just finished my sophomore year at a small university (really small, YMMV)

I did not have a car for either of those two years (just got one.) and the ninja stayed at home. I had 2 bicycles on campus, which were my transportation and part of my exercise.

As long as you're on the meal plan, there's no reason to buy a car when a bicycle and motorcycle will both do the trick. Typically colleges are not far from anything and you can either walk or ride for everything. You're in FL, so you can ride year round, unlike me. I ended up walking everywhere in December.

Borrowing a car is do-able, but inconvenient.

Stick with the ninja for now. See if you feel a car is necessary. If your parents are really pushing a car, have them push some money for it as well
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 06:35 AM   #16
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

two trucks and a bike.

Old May 15th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #17
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I lived about 5 years with only my motorcycle. First in SC, so easy. Second, in DC, which almost has winter, but also has public transit. My wife just bought a car, so we do things like grocery shop in it now, but I still never use it myself. As long as it's *possible* to get around on those occasions when you can't ride (ice, bike's in the shop), then I think having only a bike is great. You collect gear quickly (different gear for cold, warm, hot, FREEZING BALLS, and F**KING ROASTING, as well as rain), but you just feel like a road warrior. I totally recommend it.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Bungees of course! I just did that yesterday! Two of em!
Could you post a pic of your setup? sorry for thread jacking BUT I NEED THIS
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 09:21 AM   #19
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

i own a car and a ninja 250r. Needless to say i prefer to use my bike for everyday use if possible such as commuting, school, work, pleasure cruises, solo rides to hang out with buddies. But i use the car for grocery shopping, taking friends or family, and just overall shopping where i cant put things on my ninja 250r as i dont have any tank bags or nothing
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Just wondering if anybody here owns only a motorcycle and what they think of it. I'm a 19yo college student considering just owning a bike. Parents think I should own a car and motorcycle but this is expensive and I'm not sure if it's necessary if I'll be living on campus in the fall?
Alex,

You already have a Ninjette (hope you have done something about the noise, or they may kick you out of campus); hence, a car would be an additional expense.

I own a car, but I use only my bike for commuting weekdays on I-95 (South Florida).

There are only few heavy and bulky things that I have not been able to carry in my backpack or saddle.

The worst situation for bike-only Florida rider are the electric storms of the summer.
They can mess your schedule up (if you choose to wait as you should).

Regular storms have the inconvenience of making you arrive to class half or fully soaked, unless you have a place to change or to leave your soaked gear at.

The real danger of both types of storms are the Floridian drivers around you, who tend to go absolutely stupid or crazy when routine conditions change.

Millions of functional people in the world only have a motorcycle.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #21
beninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

I'm 19 about to turn 20, Junior in College and never had my own car. I did have tuition and room and board paid for so I saved up and bought my ninjette! Only ever had my bicycle and ninjette and haven't had any downsides besides wanting to go buy large items. I ask my friends to borrow their cars and I pay for gas. Do it, You'll love it and you won't really ever have to be DD
beninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #22
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I do have a car, but it just sits a lot. Yesterday I went to get something out of it and I noticed that the dome light didn't come on. Oops. The car sat for so long the battery went dead. Oh well.

But having a car does come in handy when the weather is really bad or you have to haul something too big for the bike. Of course you probably have friends with pickups that can fill the void.

If you have a girlfriend, letting her ride on the back with her arms around you is kinda fun. If you don't have a girlfriend, rest assured, that will change because Ninjas are well known babe magnets. Toyota cellicas are not.
where in palm beach you stay at? I used to live in boynton beach, near the mall..
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #23
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

All depends if you can ride in Sh***y weather or not, Im in Houston area and have to take the car some days to work due to the torrential down pours
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #24
RJprod
ninjette.org member

Name: Robenson

Motorcycle(s): 05 F4i....

[QUOTE The real danger of both types of storms are the Floridian drivers around you, who tend to go absolutely stupid or crazy when routine conditions change.[/QUOTE]

This is one thing I'm not looking forward to this summer.. It's all nice and cool right now, but I know something big is coming..
RJprod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #25
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

I've never owned a car, didn't even do the car test (in Ireland you could get away with driving on a provisional licence for years, some people in their 50's have never done the test & had no problem with a provisional for decades)

So far I've lived bike only in 3 cities & a small town, the only times I felt the need for a car was when I was moving house.

Shopping in bulk isn't exactly easy, but a weeks groceries are quite doable (you'll become a master at backpack tetris) stick on a tankbag/tailpack if you need to.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #26
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

21 here, college, two years of having a bike only. I'm fine. It would be nice to have a car though sometimes (or cargo space) for groceries and when I move from apt to apt... All in all I'm good.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #27
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

Spent 5 years living in the DC suburbs with nothing but two bikes. A sport bike for most riding and a dual-sport for the snow/icy conditions. Froze my ass off on a pretty regular basis and crashed too many times to count.

Little tip about snow/ice riding on a dual-sport bike. Run really low air pressure and when you put sheet metal screws in the semi-knobbies make sure you leave them OFF the middle of the tire. They are VERY slippery if you happen to hit actual pavement. Dont ask................... It wasnt pretty... lol.... live and learn.

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #28
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

I owned a crappy unreliable car with poor MPG and high insurance while owning my ninjette but sold the car thinking it was about to break down for good at any moment. Dad is telling me I need to own a car because of rain? I've been bike only for about a month and a half now, own a magnetic tank bag which comes in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Just finished my sophomore year at a small university (really small, YMMV)

Stick with the ninja for now. See if you feel a car is necessary. If your parents are really pushing a car, have them push some money for it as well
Haha I've told my dad over and over again that I will gladly own a car if he'd like to pay for it but that's out of the question right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
I lived about 5 years with only my motorcycle. First in SC, so easy. Second, in DC, which almost has winter, but also has public transit. My wife just bought a car, so we do things like grocery shop in it now, but I still never use it myself. As long as it's *possible* to get around on those occasions when you can't ride (ice, bike's in the shop), then I think having only a bike is great. You collect gear quickly (different gear for cold, warm, hot, FREEZING BALLS, and F**KING ROASTING, as well as rain), but you just feel like a road warrior. I totally recommend it.
Thanks I'm used to the heat so far and have been in some nice downpours, have a decent collection of gear so far, not too much rain gear yet but I'll be ordering some soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Alex,

You already have a Ninjette (hope you have done something about the noise, or they may kick you out of campus); hence, a car would be an additional expense.

Regular storms have the inconvenience of making you arrive to class half or fully soaked, unless you have a place to change or to leave your soaked gear at.

The real danger of both types of storms are the Floridian drivers around you, who tend to go absolutely stupid or crazy when routine conditions change.
I recently sold the annoyingly loud ninjette and thought I was upgrading by getting a supersport after selling my almost-broken-pos car, but am considering selling it to get a new 300 (topic for another thread I'll be posting shortly). I'll be living on campus though so if it's raining I'll probably just walk to class and be soaked like everybody else or use an umbrella/poncho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninja View Post
I'm 19 about to turn 20, Junior in College and never had my own car. I did have tuition and room and board paid for so I saved up and bought my ninjette! Only ever had my bicycle and ninjette and haven't had any downsides besides wanting to go buy large items. I ask my friends to borrow their cars and I pay for gas. Do it, You'll love it and you won't really ever have to be DD
I am in a similar boat as you except for selling my nearly dead gas hog of a car, thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJprod View Post
I know If it's pouring I'll probably just walk to class though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles

Just sayin'
I can't say I expected anything less from you, true I'll just need to get creative....

Old May 15th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #29
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
Could you post a pic of your setup? sorry for thread jacking BUT I NEED THIS
LOL! I don't have a pic. Sorry, just carried a couple of the right size bungies with me to pick it up and figured out my system at the pizza place. I just had my tail bag strapped on the rear seat, had the pizza boxes underneath. I just used a couple of extra bungies to strap the boxes down before putting the tailbag on top. Granted I only had to go a couple of miles, but we made it home and the pizza was delicious!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #30
drac
ninjette.org member

Name: drac

Motorcycle(s): '88 Hurricane 600, '09 Ninja 250

Pizza is easy..... It will sit right on top of the tank. Just ride elbows down and in. You can pretty much hold it right in place. Once up to speed just ride one handed. Just brought a Little Ceasers hot-n-ready $8 deep dish 24 miles home after work on tuesday.... Mmmmm

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #31
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
The worst situation for bike-only Florida rider are the electric storms of the summer.
They can mess your schedule up (if you choose to wait as you should).

The real danger of both types of storms are the Floridian drivers around you, who tend to go absolutely stupid or crazy when routine conditions change
What does the electrical storms cause? Just incase lightning strikes?

I am in MI and if a single drop of rain hits the floor - the cagers go Bananas!!! I AVOID all Freeways when it rains.

--So I am 1989 and I got my license somewhere around 18 or so had drivers permit for ever. I did not get a car up until April of 2011 or so. Before i use to get dropped off -basically only drove when parents or bro/sis were tired and did not want to drive. I hated getting dropped off and no one ever picked me up on time when i got out of class. We had my bros first car a 95 Camaro that sat in our garage for 4 years - was in a hit and run and had some body damage. He drove before it was unreliable for him (driver door did not open due to accident, frame was bent, and did driver window did not shut so i was always just as wet in camaro - i had piles of spare towels to sit on so my butt /back dont get wet). I got it started, put a battery in it and drove it for literally April through July of 2011 before i realized that the GAS was a bitch.

I bought a ninja and rode that up until october - think put it away on Halloween 2011. Drove Camaro for winter and the Ninja would probably be better. I would fish tail and spin out all the time. I drove that when it rained but then last spring the wiper motor broke and i had no know how to fix it - i tried replacing it but it was in awkward position, it was to expensive in labor to take somewhere and some friends tried changing it for me with no success. Before that i had to buy a new tire and an alternator. So after that i rode my ninjette in the rain basically. I drove in really heavy rains which was probably not the smartest but i had to get to my destination. Luckily each time i drove in the heavy rain in which a change of clothes was necessary i was headed home.

I got a new job and luckily one of my managers picked me up all winter pretty much and took me home. My family had a very hectic work/school schedule and i was not able to entirely rely on them. If i did not land this job and have this amazing friend to take me to work i would have been trapped. MI blows - its not the ice or the snow i am worried about but mainly the salt and drivers, it has to be difficult for a bike, let alone a ninjette during full MI winters. Cold did not bother me, you get used it pretty quick. Oct-Nov was like 20-30 deg riding not including windchill. I just doubled up on hoodies and extra jeans.

I recently sold my Camaro a few months ago and I miss it already - almost. I use to drive my car when it rained in the morning then in the PM getting out of work/school i take the T-Tops down and cruise in the sun. I was not able to do that this year but IMO i think I need a car even at the extra expense of the extra cost + extra insurance. For work one of my Bosses told me the bike is great but without a car - i may be in trouble. I was almost never late except when it rained which i was always late because of traffic. I only got away with this at work bc MI drivers are probably stupider than Floridians and everyone else in office was late and i would be there before everyone.

I am currently Car shopping now and having a HELL OF A TIME finding something that i like. And i am only doing this for reliability. If cost is a factor get a beater - that is what everyone keeps telling me. But i do not like paying for junk. I would like something that i do not have to pour $$$ in. My problem is i compare everything to my ninjette which i love. I am in an endless loop of which do i want Fast -> Cheap -> Quality, you cant have all 3 with a car - with a Ninjette i think it meats all of the three criteria.

I wish i would have my bike my first 3 years of school and first year of work. Florida vs MI example, That is just my quick experience, i know it is probably long but i hope it helps you with your decision.

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #32
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

I could probably do without the car and bike at this point since I started walking to work every day. I take the truck in maybe once every couple weeks for a work emergency or if I'm working some kind of off shift. Between that and riding buses / trains free since I work for muni, and being super busy on the weekends, I haven't been on the bike in months.

Old May 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #33
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

I have a car but very rarely use it unless I'm picking someone up
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #34
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJprod View Post
where in palm beach you stay at? I used to live in boynton beach, near the mall..
In a place called "The Acreage" AKA Royal Palm Beach AKA Loxahatchee.

For getting groceries with the bike, I have this:

Built from my plans here...

I have a big duffel bag I got at cycle gear and I use that when I go camping. I carry a 4 man tent, inflatable mattress, sleeping bag, mattress pump, cooking gear plus other stuff in that bag and strapped to the passenger seat of the bike. That with my trunk usually gives me plenty of space.

And while I always have regular bungees lying around, I wouldn't make it without this little guy:

You would use this cargo net for carrying pizza. If you don't care about the color, you can get one at Harbor Freight for about $4. But Cycle Gear and others have them in different colors for about twice the price.

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #35
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPaws View Post
What does the electrical storms cause? Just incase lightning strikes?

I am in MI and if a single drop of rain hits the floor - the cagers go Bananas!!! I AVOID all Freeways when it rains.
Florida is the world's capital of lightning, we do have abundant cloud-to-ground discharges in the summer's evenings, sometimes even without a full storm.

I have no way to avoid the freeway in my commute, and I have been caught in night heavy storms with lots of lightnings close to me and the noise is intense and unnerving and the sudden illumination of the sky has blinded me (and the cagers around me) for few seconds.

Because the lightning protection that is in place in industrial, commercial and residential areas that are next to the freeway, the chance of a strike on me is slim, but still possible.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #36
n4mwd

Quote:
Florida is the world's capital of lightning, we do have abundant cloud-to-ground discharges in the summer's evenings, sometimes even without a full storm.

I have no way to avoid the freeway in my commute, and I have been caught in night heavy storms with lots of lightnings close to me and the noise is intense and unnerving and the sudden illumination of the sky has blinded me (and the cagers around me) for few seconds.

Because the lightning protection that is in place in industrial, commercial and residential areas that are next to the freeway, the chance of a strike on me is slim, but still possible.

And an important thing to remember is that motorcycles have zero protection from lightning. If you get hit, you'll at the very least have go to the ER. Lightning is unpredictable. Sometimes people are only slightly fried and leave the ER the same day, while others are literally blown apart from the inside.

The great lightning myth is that the rubber tires in a car protect you somehow. They don't. If lightning just jumped from a cloud 15,000 feet in the air to your car, a 4 inch piece of rubber is not going to make a difference. What does make a difference is the fact that people in cars are protected by what is known as a faraday cage. The metal in the car diverts the electricity around the driver. So if you are in a car, and it gets hit by lightning, you probably won't even feel it. But on a bike, there is no metal cage so if you get hit, its ER time or worse.

Old May 16th, 2013, 06:18 AM   #37
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ Great point on the Faraday Cage D!

That's a big part of why air planes can be struck by lightning and never even notice it. The lightening continues over the skin of the aircraft, then continues about it's business heading to the ground. The body acts like a cage and the occupants are unaffected by the strike.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #38
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I only have motorcycles. No cars or trucks, and I don't miss either of them.
I ride my ninja 250 everywhere I go. Rain or Shine...

Here are some tips if you intend to go the bike only route from someone who has honestly done it, and been doing it for many years.

1. Maintain your bike! When the weather gets lousy, you need your bike to be in 100% shape. Good tires, lubed chains, good brakes.

2. Get good rain gear. I use froggtoggs, but there are other suitable brands out there. Whatever you choose, you should get something that keeps you 100% dry. I can put on regular clothes, and go riding in a torrential downpour and arrive completely dry.

3. Get a tankbag and saddlebags for your bike that are removable. You will need these for trips, or when you need to transport lots of stuff from the store.

4. Get a good backpack. I have a backpack on my back nearly everytime I ride. Its a convienient place to stuff things during your travels. Spend the money on a good one that is comfortable, and not too big or small, something in the 8-15 Liter range. If you can find one that is waterproof...even better. And when I say waterproof, I mean waterproof....you should be able to toss it in a river and not have anything get wet.

5. In the tail of your bike, always carry a toolkit, and one of those sports backpacks with the drawstrings.

6. During the summer months when it gets hot, if you intend to go ATGATT, then you will need a way to stay cooled off. There are a couple of tricks I'd recommend. FroggToggs Chilly pad - basically a towel that you wet with water and gets cold as it evaporates. Wrap it around your neck or down your shirt, and its like airconditioning. You can recharge it with water in a sink nearly anywhere. Camelbak in your backpack - rehydrate constantly.
and Mesh or ventilated jackets.

As far as weather issues....unless you live in the north where there is snow and ice on the ground half the year, there is no reason not to go motorcycle only. Rain is not a ride stopper. You have to learn how to ride in the rain. Slow down a bit, learn how to brake properly(two brakes), and learn what to avoid like big puddles, greasy intersections, storm drains, etc. Spend on good gear, its critical. Leather gloves are great most of the time, but suck when its raining. Get waterproof gloves and boots.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #39
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I only have motorcycles. No cars or trucks, and I don't miss either of them.
I ride my ninja 250 everywhere I go. Rain or Shine...

Here are some tips if you intend to go the bike only route from someone who has honestly done it, and been doing it for many years.

1. Maintain your bike! When the weather gets lousy, you need your bike to be in 100% shape. Good tires, lubed chains, good brakes.

2. Get good rain gear. I use froggtoggs, but there are other suitable brands out there. Whatever you choose, you should get something that keeps you 100% dry. I can put on regular clothes, and go riding in a torrential downpour and arrive completely dry.

3. Get a tankbag and saddlebags for your bike that are removable. You will need these for trips, or when you need to transport lots of stuff from the store.

4. Get a good backpack. I have a backpack on my back nearly everytime I ride. Its a convienient place to stuff things during your travels. Spend the money on a good one that is comfortable, and not too big or small, something in the 8-15 Liter range. If you can find one that is waterproof...even better. And when I say waterproof, I mean waterproof....you should be able to toss it in a river and not have anything get wet.

5. In the tail of your bike, always carry a toolkit, and one of those sports backpacks with the drawstrings.

6. During the summer months when it gets hot, if you intend to go ATGATT, then you will need a way to stay cooled off. There are a couple of tricks I'd recommend. FroggToggs Chilly pad - basically a towel that you wet with water and gets cold as it evaporates. Wrap it around your neck or down your shirt, and its like airconditioning. You can recharge it with water in a sink nearly anywhere. Camelbak in your backpack - rehydrate constantly.
and Mesh or ventilated jackets.

As far as weather issues....unless you live in the north where there is snow and ice on the ground half the year, there is no reason not to go motorcycle only. Rain is not a ride stopper. You have to learn how to ride in the rain. Slow down a bit, learn how to brake properly(two brakes), and learn what to avoid like big puddles, greasy intersections, storm drains, etc. Spend on good gear, its critical. Leather gloves are great most of the time, but suck when its raining. Get waterproof gloves and boots.
Thanks for the tips. I need to invest in some good rain gear and waterproof gloves/boots and a better backpack. My tank bag is waterproof but my perforated sidi st air boots got filled with water in the rain and so did my backpack. I use some joe rocket GPX leather gauntlet gloves I bought recently and when they got wet my hands were soaked in some kind of ink/dye from them.

I'm gonna try out the bike only thing I think I can pull it off (:

n4mwd
I love your trunk/bungee setup I'm going t try to replicate it on my bike in the next week or two and will let you know how it goes

Old May 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #40
az3200
ninjette.org member

Name: AZ

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250

I live in central florida and only have my ninja 250. It's annoying sometimes but you learn to make it work. The times I wish I had a car is when it's raining, and just times when i want to leave the house but don't feel like riding. as much as i love riding, after riding around orlando all day in 100 degrees wearing a helmet and pants (sorry, too hot for a jacket) i don't feel like going out at night.
You also can't take passengers or anything you cant carry.

Pros: cheap, insurance is cheap (in florida you don't need insurance on your bike in certain circumstances) gas is cheap, it's zippy through traffic and it's sexy
az3200 is offline   Reply With Quote