ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Bostonninjabastard
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): Yellow n black 2002 ninja ex250

changed battery n plugs started right up 5 min latter won't do anything?

Ok I've been a lurked here for awhile n thanks to everyone who posts n who replys this place is a wealth of info on these bikes.
So thanks to everyone,.
Ok here's my problem 250 2002 new battery new plugs fired right up sounded great,
shut off the bike grabbed my gear went outside n when I tried to start it up it wouldn't do anything.
When you press the starter it doesn't click or make any noise. The directional lights work as well as the LCD stuff in dash. The horn doesn't work.
The only thing I can think of is when I changed the plugs I wasn't sure how the (black wire that attaches to the top
of the plug) connected wasn't sure if it screwed in or you pressed it down on top
of the plugs. Can some one tell me which is how it's done I'm hoping the connection is just loose based on this. However why wouldn't my
horn work isn't that battery related. And the battery is bran new plus I had them test it in front of me this is my first starter bike n I havnt rode it further then down the driveway. I also work 70 hours a week n have little time each week to work on it. Ok enough sob story
any help is apreciated n thanks agan to everyone out here if only you could knew how much someone like me who is new gains from your posts
Tom m
bostonninjabastard
Posted via Mobile Device
Bostonninjabastard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:11 AM   #2
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

it almost sounds like some sorta safety feature is keeping the bike from starting.
make sure the RUN, switch (rt. handlebar cluster i think)..is in the proper position. make sure the bike is in neutral if you're starting without holding in the clutch lever.

sent you a PM also

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:16 AM   #3
Bostonninjabastard
ninjette.org member

Hey thanks yeah went over all the basics in neutral clutch in key turned to on fuel selector on all that stuff. But yes it does seem like something is happening that keeps me from a normal start like I said when you hit starter it
does nothing
thanks tho
Tom m
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:48 AM   #4
komohana

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

i'd look at fuses next.
do you have a maint. manual? i can help direct you to a wiring diagram if you need.

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:57 AM   #5
Bostonninjabastard
ninjette.org member

Hey man great advice I've been looking at that online tonight I think maybe the ignition fuse Ima try that next I'll keep the board informed n thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 1st, 2010, 01:05 AM   #6
komohana

good luck!

something about your horn not working is bugg'n the pineapple juice outta me...so much so i went outside to see iffn the horn works with ignition energized and it does. i'm assuming it workd prior to your problem yes?

...got me wondering bout that left side handlebar cluster...

but thats just me

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You may want to check your battery to make sure it has enough charge. Starting the bike the first time took a lot of juice out of the battery and you may not have let it run long enough to re-charge it.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

If that was a new AGM battery, regardless of what the dealer says when he fills it with acid and says it's good to go, that is wrong! All AGMs have to be put on a charger first and must be FULLY CHARGED prior to first use or they will fail. They will have no capacity, they may not start the bike more than one or two times. Put your battery on a 2 amp charger (not a battery tender), charge it up for 4 hours at least, take it back to the dealer and have him do a load test on it. I bet your battery is no good. Before you use the new one you get as a replacement, make sure it is charged up first, do it yourself, not the dealer, or you'll be back there again.
If you just charge your battery and start up your bike, it may do that a few times and then may crap out. Getting it load tested is the only way to see if it is any good, it can read 12.6 or 12.8V and not be able to start your bike more than one or two times.

To be sure your problem is the bad battery, hook up your bike with jumper cables to a NON-RUNNING car and see if it starts. (If you have the car running, the alternator output will fry all the electronics on most bikes - be warned). It's perfectly safe if the car engine is not running, you are just using the 12V from the battery.
And like most bikes, the clutch lever has to be pulled in to start the bike, that's a safety feature, otherwise the starter will not engage.
Don't start to rip your bike apart - see if it starts from jumping it, then charge up and have your battery checked, charge the new one up before you use it, and I bet you'll have no more problems.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14

You explained it much better than I did.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:29 AM   #10
Bostonninjabastard
ninjette.org member

Haha thanks guys, yeah I did the car hook up ( without starting car with the last battery, the one the previous owner said was bran new) so I will hook it up again n see if bike starts that way if not I'll check the fuses. Quick question since you guys r so helpful if I hook it up to my car n my bike starts what should I do next let it run for awhile or unhook it still running n let it idle for awhile or should I imedatly get that charger you tolde about. When my dealer sold me the battery he tested it right in front of me n told me it was at 75%.
Also when I was parking the bike ( my first ride on it literally bought it week ago n my first bike) i let the clutch out to far n it stalled could this be what caused the problem? Would stalling it hurt the battery such to mess up fuses or kill batttery. Let me know what you vets think n my most sincere thanks to all that responded
I'll throw some pics up once I het to take it for that first ride
Tom m
Boston ninja bastard
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:49 AM   #11
komohana

i think rick and marc got you pointed in the right direction...i wouldn't bother trying to charge the battery if you get the bike started. take it back to where you purchased it per marc's comments

(boldface emphasis mine)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
... Put your battery on a 2 amp charger (not a battery tender), charge it up for 4 hours at least, take it back to the dealer and have him do a load test on it. I bet your battery is no good. Before you use the new one you get as a replacement, make sure it is charged up first, do it yourself, not the dealer, or you'll be back there again.
If you just charge your battery and start up your bike, it may do that a few times and then may crap out. Getting it load tested is the only way to see if it is any good, it can read 12.6 or 12.8V and not be able to start your bike more than one or two times.

To be sure your problem is the bad battery, hook up your bike with jumper cables to a NON-RUNNING car and see if it starts. (If you have the car running, the alternator output will fry all the electronics on most bikes - be warned). It's perfectly safe if the car engine is not running, you are just using the 12V from the battery.
And like most bikes, the clutch lever has to be pulled in to start the bike, that's a safety feature, otherwise the starter will not engage.
dont think your clutch stall out whacked yer battery...no worries there.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #12
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

If the battery tested at 75% that means it was DEAD. That's why you got one start out of it. Your dealer doesn't know squat about batteries.
If you get the bike started by jumping it, that tells you the problem is your battery. Once you start the bike, unhook it from the car so you don't share the bike's alternator output between the car and the bike. If you went for a long ride, like an hour, you might charge up the battery, idle probably won't. But that battery is toast now, so don't screw with it or waste any time on it. Bring it back for a full replacement and you will see it load tests bad.
There is nothing wrong with any of your fuses if the bike started from a jump, don't start looking around for other problems, Get the battery replaced and fully charge up the new one before you use it and you'll be fine.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote