ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old March 4th, 2015, 02:12 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Byrne undergoes successful surgery after crash

Byrne in the gravel after his high-side.

FOUR-TIME British Superbike Champion Shane 'Shakey' Byrne has undergone successful surgery in Spain after a heavy high-side left Byrne with a broken left hand during yesterday's test at Almeria.

Byrne suffered a high-side in the final session of the day at the circuit's fast turn six and was left battered and bruised including a hand injury.

As no x-ray facilities are available at the Almeria race circuit, the PBM Kawasaki rider was transferred to hospital where further treatment was deemed necessary.

Shakey wrote on his blog 'Shakey.com': "I think it's pretty fair to say that most of you will have already read about what happened in Almeria yesterday. The final session of the day, doing a bit of a longer consistent lap time run, I had a big off-throttle high-side, very similar to the one I had back at Silverstone in 2013.

"Unfortunately it was a big one and even more unfortunately I've broken my left hand which resulted in an operation last night to fix it. One of my knuckles disappeared down into my hand and broke it. The good news is though, as there's no point in dwelling on it, I was operated on and with some screws and plates it's all been put back together so I'm already on the mend.

"So then to the bad news, today I had quite a lot of stuff to get through in order to box off our 2014 ideas. I got literally 95% through all of that hence the steady-ish lap times, and then I went and flicked myself, so now all my 2015 work is on the back burner.

"The doctor has said I need a month to heal up and be right which takes me exactly to the first round, but I'm planning on heading back to the UK now to jump in a hyperbaric chamber and get the bones lasered, so I'm hoping that'll increase the healing time considerably.

"I've supposedly got to keep this cast on for two to three weeks, but I'll see what my guy in the UK says and do absolutely everything I possibly can to be ready for the Donington Park test in three weeks. Fingers (well not on my left hand) crossed guys and girls."

Byrne will now be heading back to the UK to begin his race back to fitness before the first round of the British Superbike Championship in April with the aid of a hyperbaric chamber.

Related Content

Byrne and Easton re-sign with PBM
Byrne: People question why I've stayed
Byrne becomes 2014 British Superbike champion
BSB 2013: Brands Hatch race results
Kiyonari: I won't make the same mistakes

Click here for full story...