ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Notices

Old May 24th, 2015, 05:31 PM   #41
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Interesting build thread. A guy near me did a RZ350 build using all the running gear from a Triumph 675R. Rear swingarm, front forks and triple clamps, wheels brakes and all.

I used to own an RZ350, one of the greatest small bikes I've owned. When I rip down to the street on a 2 cylinder 2 stroke, everyone would hurt their neck trying to see WTF is rolling down the road.
^ i imagine he would have had to cut the rear part of the frame down the center and weld it wider to get that swing arm in there. That's a lot of work.

Yeah the bike will be a blast once it is done. Just need to keep reminding myself it will be well worth the wait and work

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #42
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Interesting build thread. A guy near me did a RZ350 build using all the running gear from a Triumph 675R. Rear swingarm, front forks and triple clamps, wheels brakes and all.

I used to own an RZ350, one of the greatest small bikes I've owned. When I rip down to the street on a 2 cylinder 2 stroke, everyone would hurt their neck trying to see WTF is rolling down the road.
Oh My Goodness .............
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2015, 03:32 PM   #43
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
So i think i decided to just sleeve down the rgv250 inner races of the swing arm pivot to accept the stock rz spindle. It is going to be easier and cheap and i don't have to mess with the stock frame which is nice as it can not be undone.

That being said yesterday i was going to shave down the rgv inner races as the entire swingarm pivot needs to be a little shorter to fit into the rz frame and the races are one of the things that needs shaved just a hair. I was planning on taking about 1 mm off each one on each side when i got to thinking. There is a spacer in the center of the swing arm pivot and that is what sets the depth of the inner races. So instead to trimming 2 races i would just take the spacer out and trim that once. (great idea, i know)

So to get the spacer out one of the bearings needs to come out, the spacer has a slightly larger OD than the ID of the bearings. So i put a socket and an extension into the pivot hole agains the spacer and tapped away, the bearing never moved much and the spacer deformed a bit (made out of something soft ) oh well to far to stop now, hammered it out the rest of the way, destroyed one of the bearings in the process and it's outter casing is still in the pivot hole.

Oh well, i need to now take both the bearings out, get a new spacer, cut it to length and then put everything back together with new bearings. Should be fun/interesting getting the bearings out. but at least everything will be new and tight like a tiger.

Best laid plans

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old May 31st, 2015, 06:44 AM   #44
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
I finally pressed the new tapered roller bearings onto the R1 stem over the spacer i had made and lightly bolted it up to make sure all was well and it was great!

Only thing left to do on this is get the steering stop tab extended by welding on a piece of steel.

I was able to get out the busted bearing race and the other needle bearing from the swing arm with out much fuss which was a big relief. I knew the complete bearing would come out easy after i got the busted one out but the busted one i was not so sure about.

Took some pictures of the N650 wheel and the aprilia rs250 wheel i got. Surprisingly the rs250 wheel is not much if at all any narrower in the hub but the sprocket carrier is a lot narrower. I could have made the 650 wheel work, maybe even easier than the aprilia wheel but i like the aprilia wheel better and it is a very close match to the R1 front wheel i have which is important for looks.

Just need to source some rgv250 swing arm bearings or a close equivalent and some bushings and a spacer and i am good to go for putting the swing arm on. After that i can finally starting doing some measurements on lining up the chain and see how all that is going to go which will be the last difficult thing i need to do other than working out some wiring, everything else is just nuts and bolts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2297.jpg (89.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2299.jpg (64.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2300.jpg (59.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2303.jpg (246.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2304.jpg (220.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2298.jpg (121.0 KB, 1 views)

Old June 15th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #45
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
got my new bearings in, and the bushings. looks like it is all going to work well and easy. just need to secure the bushings in the race a bit, maybe a little red loctite just to encourage them to stay put so it moves on the bearings.

onward we go
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2386.jpg (49.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2387.jpg (84.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2388.jpg (86.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2389.jpg (65.9 KB, 2 views)

Old June 23rd, 2015, 05:30 PM   #46
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Since i got the swing arm all wrapped up i was able to futz with the shock and linkage. Just started working with a few of the pieces and trimming some things and making some junk mock bits out of polypropylene to check everything before i start making the real pieces. Need to fab up these brackets to secure the knuckle to the frame and dog bones. Shouldn't be too difficult but want to make sure i get it just right for geometry of the bike.

n250 rear shock and linkage knuckle FTW!!!

Had to alter the linkage knuckle a bit and cut off some of the width where the linkage will connect to the bike frame. I still need to clean it up a bit and even out the sides.

And a picture of some new to me parts i got in. Aprilia rs250 rear brake system and mounting bracket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2419.jpg (99.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2422.jpg (65.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2423.jpg (67.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2418.jpg (165.1 KB, 3 views)

Last futzed with by subxero; June 29th, 2015 at 06:22 AM.

Old June 24th, 2015, 06:51 PM   #47
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Looks like it's starting to come together. Get this beast on the road for 2015!

Old June 27th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #48
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
looking like a bike again ... well at least for a short period while i figure this linkage crap out.

Old August 7th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #49
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
progress is slow but steady as always.

I will hopefully finish my first set of dog bones up this weekend, just need to drill 1 more set of holes and then grind them down a bit here and there for some clearance.

I have enough material to make one more set if I am not 100% crazy about the height these ones give me but I have check many times and think the length I am going with will give both good looks and ride stability/performance.

I moved the tire from the n650 wheel onto my rs250 wheel, it was a real bugger getting it off the n650 wheel Never bothered to check it the whole time I had it for holes and when I went to fill it up on the rs wheel I noticed there is a big cut in it, looks like a knife puncture. Must have been that way since I bought it months ago off ebay, the tire was supposed to be good though.... damn flea bay. Either way, even a flat tire is useful at this point for me to have the bike as a roller and I don't want to spend the cash on a new tire just yet.

So I bought the front calipers/lines and MC finally and a bunch of misc. bolts, spacers/washers I needed to button some things up. Still need to pick up a side stand sooner or later, I'm watching one on ebay now. Not too much stuff left to waste money on which is good because I'm running out of things to sell to fund this project Still need front rotors, (almost bought them the other day but was a good boy and put some money from selling stuff into the bank , (pats self on back) and I am thinking I will sell the mikuni carbs and pick up some PWK's . Other than that, just odds and ends and the dreaded engine work, and of course new shiny pipes in the distant future

I could get the engine back together for under $300 but kinda want to send it out for porting and getting the squish/compression adjusted among other things while it is apart.

Might be a next year thing when I get tax return.

Ill try and get some pictures up this weekend or early next week. Figure it is about time to play dress up with the bike. After I get linkage all together I will put the clip-ons on, tank, rear fairing and maybe the rear sets to get an idea of how it might look Should be interesting, I am not crazy about the rear fairing I have, I was planning on trimming the under side of it from the start but will have a better idea once I get a better overall picture.

TTFN

Last futzed with by subxero; August 7th, 2015 at 08:39 AM.

Old August 7th, 2015, 07:52 AM   #50
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Good Luck!!! Love what you're doing!!!

Old August 15th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #51
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
holy **** it looks like a bike.

just for fun i put on some bits, + tank and sat the rear cowl on to get an idea what i might look like in the end. I thought i was set on a Yamaha yellow with black and white color scheme but the white and red does look sharp.

Picture overload time
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2566.jpg (212.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2567.jpg (205.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2568.jpg (200.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2569.jpg (164.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2570.jpg (167.5 KB, 2 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 15th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #52
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
more pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2571.jpg (189.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2572.jpg (120.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2573.jpg (94.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2574.jpg (91.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2575.jpg (206.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2576.jpg (187.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2577.jpg (170.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2578.jpg (209.6 KB, 2 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 16th, 2015, 08:50 AM   #53
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

R1 forks instantly make a bike look cooler. I want.

Old November 4th, 2016, 02:54 PM   #54
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

So did this ever get finished ?
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2016, 01:57 AM   #55
weel
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 1975 rd 350

Yea, I'm interested in seeing the finished product also.
weel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2017, 06:08 AM   #56
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
sorry for the late response, didn't realize there was any activity in here.

I'm in the collecting parts phase again. Money for projects is tight. In all honesty I could have had this finished in 2016 but I ended up picking up a cr500 in January of 2016 and I put a good chunk of change into getting that ready to ride for the off road season. Oh I also picked up a 92 ktm300 that I ended up dumping several $$$ into as well

Still need a good many parts to finish it, stuff that isn't all that expensive by itself but when you need 10 or so things that each cost $150 it adds up quick.

If I am lucky I buy a part every 2 months or so. Looking for a different rear shock currently and then I need to rebuild the top end of the engine starting with sending the cylinders out for a fresh bore.

Old January 23rd, 2017, 08:24 AM   #57
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Swiss Company Offers 2-Stroke GP Racer to 'Mere Mortals'

Wanna ride a 190-hp two-stroke GP bike that weighs less than 300 pounds? Well, if you can pony up $127,000 for one of the 99 to be built by Suter Racing of Switzerland, you’re in luck.

So far the only lucky test rider in the States has been*Chris Ulrich of Roadracing World, who was suitably impressed. (The image above is IOM TT racer Ian Lougher testing the bike in April, 2016. -Ed.)

“I grew up watching 500cc two-strokes racing in the GPs,” said Ulrich. “I memorized the 1990 and 1991 seasons and could tell you everything that happened, race by race. The Suter MMX 500 is a true, die-hard enthusiast’s bike, something you buy to experience a modern version of 500 Grand Prix racebikes. The guys at Suter used modern engine technology, modern chassis design and modern tire performance so us mere mortals can ride a bike that only the racing gods could ride before. And it did not disappoint.”

A supplier of racing components, Suter built the 500 in-house, using a 576cc V4 with twin counter-rotating crankshafts. Bore and stroke is 56.00mm by 58.5mm, fed by Mectronic electronic port fuel injection, producing 190 horsepower at 13,000 rpm. The twin-spar aluminum frame is adjustable for steering angle, ride height, wheelbase and swingarm pivot. Akrapovic provided the exhaust system, Öhlins suspension is fitted, Brembo brakes, and OZ 17-inch magnesium wheels. With carbon fiber bodywork and fuel tank, the. claimed dry weight is 279 pounds (127 kg).

Ulrich’s full report on test riding the Suter MMX 500 is scheduled for the March 2017 issue of Roadracing World Motorcycle Technology*but you can check out his first look at the bike online right now. They have a few*video clips of the bike at speed so you can hear that V4 howling. The MMX500 pictured below is the Yamaha Replica livery. It is also available in a Cagiva livery or simply black carbon fiber. All of which are tasty looking.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 20th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #58
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
still chipping away at things slowly

picked up a new shock for it and a chin fairing which were two of my biggies.

The fairing will get painted in the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170320_195452.jpg (75.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (57.0 KB, 0 views)

Old July 17th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #59
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
It's about time i start trying to wrap this project up, or at least get it to a ridable state.

Original plans were to hold out till i had some $$$$ to hop up the engine a bit and buy some sexy ass pipes.

Was hoping to get it done this year but got hit with some life changes so not in the cards right now. But that is fine, just gonna rebuild the engine on the cheap and focus on making it look as good as i can for now. I can always hop the engine up later

Got around to looking at the engine a little closer and found some good news. The clutch looks great, everything is in perfect condition so don't have to put any $ into it and since i am not rebuilding for more HP the stock clutch will hold just fine.

Other good news, the cylinders are in good condition, no need for a new bore, will just give them a light hone and be done with them, and they are still on the stock bore So just need to buy a top end kit, Ill buy a Vertex top end kit for around $265 and that should allow me to put the engine back together. Then i just need to buy some odds and ends to finish up the intake and small things here and there . Some trick engine bling might be on the way in the mail as well

Brushed some dust off and got to cleaning this thing up. Side note, the bottom of this engine is annoying to clean by hand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170716_104353.jpg (99.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 20170716_151901.jpg (94.4 KB, 3 views)

Old July 17th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #60
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Finished up fitting all the linkage together with the new shock, just have some minor tweaks here and there. Snagged some side panels the other day. The one is in great shape, the other has a bad crack (guy told me "no cracks") . what a crock of ****. I got back to him and he gave me a good refund on it so i'm cool with it. I should be able to repair it fine and the crack is not in a noticeable spot. With the fiber glass rear cowl i have in the pictures several posts above i don't need these panels but the game plan for the finished bike had always been the OEM side panels and an nice OEM style solo seat rear cowl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170717_214209.jpg (73.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20170717_215107.jpg (48.6 KB, 2 views)

Old July 21st, 2017, 05:33 PM   #61
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Got some bling parts in the mail.

Billet anodized Stator cover and H2O pump cover. Have a clutch cover insert that goes with these 2 pieces on back order, should be here in a week or 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170720_185657.jpg (106.9 KB, 2 views)

Old July 22nd, 2017, 01:53 AM   #62
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
Thumbs up

awesome project. 2 strokes rule!

Old August 6th, 2017, 06:22 AM   #63
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Finally got a side stand!

No longer needs to be on the dirtbike stand

Sold my rm125 resto so i have a little cash to play around with.
Next week I will buy everything i need to finish the engine along with some intake odds and ends like vforce reeds, maybe a billet one piece manifold who knows

Found a rusty spot on the bottom of the frame near the side stand bracket, will probably see if my old man can weld something on their to keep it strong IDK? Will see what he has to say about it when i take him the bike, i know next to jack about welding unfortunately.

After i get the engine back together and in the frame i can finally start putting more solid effort into finishing up the hybrid rear end. Getting chain aligned, figuring out how i'm going to make the rear brake work/mount?? After that it should be smooth sailing

Old July 17th, 2018, 09:50 AM   #64
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Coming 2019?? maybe...

Can't believe this has been dragging on for as long as it has but that is kind of a good thing as i'm not spending $$$ that i don't have to finish it. Almost a year since my last post in this thread, i think i bought 4 other dirt bikes since then and still have 3 of them Need to finish up 2 of them and get them out the door, the other is a keeper. Have also been trying to save pennies to buy a house so not much unnecessary spending going on here and unfortunately buying a house is tricky, you can't just go to a store and pick out the exact house you want and put it exactly where you want it, well at least i can't

Enough of my life story.

Not much progress since last post, I need to get a spot on the frame welded, been dragging my feet on getting it done. I did however buy this sweet billet intake with built in crossover

Just need the reeds now for the intake which is a $200 item and i have everything to fire the engine after i put it back together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180717_123706.jpg (68.2 KB, 1 views)