ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1
EngrNewf
Geeket

Name: Terri-Lynn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Ninja 250 Highway Driving/Top Speed?

Does anyone ride their bike on the highway? I haven't had mine very long and haven't taken it out in any heavy traffic but the idea was to drive to school with it, and that involves a short highway drive. I was just looking at some videos on youtube that said the top speed runs from about 100 mph. That would be hard on the engine though yes? What speed do you find comfortable on the ninja 250?

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Postiez
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Red '08 250

The acceleration gets pretty slow in the higher speeds, get your chest on the tank and you can do 85-90 pretty easily though. I wouldn't be worried about it at all if you are, i got right on the freeway (to go get my plates). Its my first bike and i had no problems.

Although, something that can be a problem is wind... My ride to school involves riding about 3 miles of highway at the mouth of a canyon, in the morning the winds are REALLY strong. I have only done it 2 times, both times in a constant lean to not go into the center ><
Postiez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

your weight has a lot to do with it. I only go about 70MPH topps and I am at aroung 9500 RPM. That said I really dont think that they engineered the bike to not be beat on in between 8-10k rpms, prob around where most of us ride on the highway. Think of it this way the smaller the motor the harder it has to work to do things larger motors can do, but they were engineered that way.
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #4
JaeL
Bike Thrasher

Name: JaeL

Motorcycle(s): 2008 EX250r

everyday i ride on the interstate, at redline i get to almost 100mph exactly, downhill 110mph

Old August 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #5
ninjablk08
ninjette.org guru

Name: oscar

Motorcycle(s): blk ninja 250 2008

I change my sprocket to a 15 front 43 rear doing 75 was no problem , just tuck in to makes it easier to ride and i'm sure the stock bike will have no problem just rev's a little higher , be sure you are rdy to do higher speeds and riding in the wind

Old August 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
If you stick with the posted speed limits you should be fine and still have power left for passing and manuvering. I have had mine up to an indicated 110 but it was probably closer to 105 with the speedo error.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #7
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I weigh a sporting 205 and the 250 rides comfortably at the speed of the flow of traffic on Canadian highways.

It will rev. high but the engine likes to rev. so it's all good, kinda sounds and feels cool that way IMO.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I ride on the highways here in Orlando nearly everyday doing anywhere from 35(yay for traffic ) all the way up to 95 with no problems so far. I just started a new job that's a 17 mile trip one way on the highways doing about 75 the whole way at between 8500-9000rpm on my bike and I find it rather refreshing really.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #9
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

the engine is very dependable and will run hours at 9k+ where the power band starts to peak so dont worry about hurting the motor
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Kawikaze

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE (Sold)

I commute over sixty freeway miles each day, and I frequently hit 95 just to keep other cagers from creeping up behind me. I can't assume they see me, so I don't take chances. Once I zip away from those potential hazards, i'm mostly comfortable traveling around 75, keeping some power in reserve.
Kawikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #11
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I've rode mine many times on the freeways here in socal and the worst thing is the roads. Staying with traffic requires you to go around 80, but the roads beat you to death. The little engine that could can do a lot and I get no complaints from her when riding 80 or 85 sustained. Just go with what you feel comfortable, just try to stay with traffic and don't ride beyond your skills. The first time or 2 may be a little scary, but after that you get used to it.

nb

Old August 9th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #12
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
, but the roads beat you to death.
have you tried backing off the rear shock preload a notch?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #13
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Roads? brewer, come ride on Michigans roads! hehe

Now ive never been to california, but our freezeing winters and NO weight limits (for semi's) make our roads turn into Gravel shortly after they 'repave' areas! lol

Ok, so my bike Came set at #1 rear shock pre-load. Ive set it too #2 and ive noticed a descent difference in Highway riding handling (wind doesnt blow me around as bad as b4), also Bumps dont 'BUCK' me off as easily or as bad as b4. (yo at night sometimes you cant SEE them till its too late, not letting you do the MSF (stand upright alil coming upon a Bump/2x4 sized object in the road)

Just ask Rage42 about the 'greatness' of our beloved michigan highway M-59 (aka Hall rd.)

Soon ill try out rear shock #3 setting and give a report!

Im 5'9", 167 lbs.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #14
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

On my '03, I cruise at about 80 mph on the speedometer (which works out to ~70 mph actual given the speedo error - but don't quote me on that) and I feel like there's still a little more pull beyond that, but I haven't tested it beyond that and I don't particularly feel a need to. I weight 180 lbs. I also have a laminar lip (http://www.laminarlip.com/) installed which helps with the highway speed winds, it moves the flow higher up so I don't really have to tuck in when I start getting up to speed. Very comfortable.

BTW, this is a semi-related topic. I figured my speedometer error by using mile markers on the side of the road, lol. I figured, it takes 6 seconds to go 1/10 of a mile at 60 mph, and ~5 seconds to go the same distance at 70 mph. So you can get a feel for your speedo error. It's exactly a 10% error on mine, in other words for every 10 mph you're going it's going to add an extra 1 mph to your reading. i.e. 80 mph on the speedo - 8 mph error = 72 mph actual. Your error may vary.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:53 PM   #15
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
have you tried backing off the rear shock preload a notch?
Preload is set at 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
Roads? brewer, come ride on Michigans roads! hehe

Now ive never been to california, but our freezeing winters and NO weight limits (for semi's) make our roads turn into Gravel shortly after they 'repave' areas! lol

Ok, so my bike Came set at #1 rear shock pre-load. Ive set it too #2 and ive noticed a descent difference in Highway riding handling (wind doesnt blow me around as bad as b4), also Bumps dont 'BUCK' me off as easily or as bad as b4. (yo at night sometimes you cant SEE them till its too late, not letting you do the MSF (stand upright alil coming upon a Bump/2x4 sized object in the road)

Just ask Rage42 about the 'greatness' of our beloved michigan highway M-59 (aka Hall rd.)

Soon ill try out rear shock #3 setting and give a report!

Im 5'9", 167 lbs.
I'm 5'7" and around 135, increasing the preload will help?
As for the roads, side roads are ok, but the freeways are grooved concrete. They seem rougher than any I have been on, one road was so rough I couldn't read the speedometer. But from your description, they don't compare to Michigan.

nb

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #16
kkim

NB-

What are your tire pressures?

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #17
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
NB-

What are your tire pressures?
Well, I am ashamed to say that have not checked it until this morning when I changed headlamps, again. 24 front, 28 rear. I know that I need to put air in them, tomorrow, I usually run 28 front , 32 rear.

nb

Old August 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #18
kkim

Quote:
Well, I am ashamed to say that have not checked it until this morning when I changed headlamps, again. 24 front, 28 rear. I know that I need to put air in them, tomorrow, I usually run 28 front , 32 rear.

nb
mmm... okay. filling to 29/32 would only make the ride harder, but I agree you are low at the front. try 28f/28r.

you could try bumping the rear shock up one notch... perhaps that might help, though I doubt it. if not, take it back down to the lowest setting.

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #19
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

i cruise at indicated 90 which seems to be around 80ish and people still pass me sometimes. I just don't like how there is not too much more room to go rpm/speed wise on the freeway.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #20
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I've hit 110 downhill, so 99mph actual. 90 actual on flat roads. The freeway doesn't bother me, I seem to have plenty of power to continue flying past traffic. Even at the faster moving times of the day I find that I can easily pass almost everyone. I don't do it often and usually move at the speed of everyone in the fast lane (~75). (California)
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:20 AM   #21
250rinblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): White 2011 Aprilia RSV4R

On the freeway between Brisbane and the Gold Coast here in QLD I sit on about 120kph (about 70mph) with occasionally 130kph to get past people, the speed limit is posted at 110kph (65mph). The bike is stable and quite comfortable to ride at those speeds on a freeway, the engine loves the revs and will pull past other road users without the need to change down, although going down to 5th helps if you need to. The only issue I find is cross-winds and buffeting from trucks, especially as you come up level with the cabs. Just be ready for it when overtaking trucks and power through it

Old August 10th, 2009, 02:04 AM   #22
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Riding on the highway with the 250R is no problem even with my 190 lbs acceleration up to 75 mph is good it slows down a bit but still acceptable up to 85 and will run all day at 85. You just have to pay attention when passing big trucks which you have to do on any bike so don’t worry about it.

Steve

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #23
ScorpionNinja

yea theres been times when a gust of air blows on me from the side, wether im on the highway or city @55-60 mph, then the bikes wheels feel like they wanna blow out from underneath me!!! As if some big object just Rammed the side of both F/R wheels almost knocking the bike over!!! Anyone else have this feeling happen?
i fight to keep the bike upright alil bit for a sec, but all is ok.. its just scary and annoying at times when this does happen from a good wind gust from your side!!!

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #24
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Preload is set at 1

I'm 5'7" and around 135, increasing the preload will help?
As for the roads, side roads are ok, but the freeways are grooved concrete. They seem rougher than any I have been on, one road was so rough I couldn't read the speedometer. But from your description, they don't compare to Michigan.

nb

Grooved concrete? does your bike kinda wave or wonder from side to side, almost like your losing control? I think that happens to me, theres a stretch of highway on I-696 here in Mi. that the roads are grooved like that. I think its done to help channel water for LESS hydroplaning for traffic, but it sure is scary at 80+MPH passing while on a slow curving turn! lol
increaseing the preload might help, have you tried it and tested it to comfirm?
I know your weight is only 135, but i would think that during highway riding that doing 70+ MPH with #1 rear shock..... if you tried #3 shock setting, you would feel maybe more Stable from the winds and such, ya know?

Old August 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #25
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

Quote:
I've rode mine many times on the freeways here in socal and the worst thing is the roads. Staying with traffic requires you to go around 80, but the roads beat you to death. The little engine that could can do a lot and I get no complaints from her when riding 80 or 85 sustained. Just go with what you feel comfortable, just try to stay with traffic and don't ride beyond your skills. The first time or 2 may be a little scary, but after that you get used to it.

nb
seriously socal highways suck ! I was actually shocked to see 50 lane highways when I first moved here, I used to live in philly and I remember 4 lane highways haha. and if you go to slow, people get so close to you before they pass. and im scared to lane split because these people will not give up their lane.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #26
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Everytime I ride my bike to work I have to hit a stretch of Autobahn and I always get it to 100 +/- 5 miles. And it never makes me feel like it is hurting anything. I feel this bike could do more with maybe another gear or two.
a10forwar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #27
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by a10forwar View Post
Everytime I ride my bike to work I have to hit a stretch of Autobahn and I always get it to 100 +/- 5 miles. And it never makes me feel like it is hurting anything. I feel this bike could do more with maybe another gear or two.
regear it for more top end.

Old August 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #28
EngrNewf
Geeket

What rpm do you guys usually hit on the highway?

Old August 14th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

8k - 10k.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #30
EngrNewf
Geeket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
8k - 10k.
Driving normal? :P

Old August 14th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #31
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

As normal as can be.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 14th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #32
EngrNewf
Geeket

Wowsers I thought you were suppose to keep it away from the red zone :P

Old August 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

In red zone = bad. Near red zone = fun.

Redline on our bikes is 13k, and there's a limiter on them anyway that keeps you from pushing it past redline under power even if we try. Only way to get one of these past redline is to downshift too many gears too quickly while still moving at top speed.

Old August 14th, 2009, 08:06 PM   #34
kkim

don't go past the redline, riding up near it is bliss on the 250.

EDIT- bah.. alex beat me this time.

Old August 15th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #35
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

What they said /\. On the freeway cruising down the road, my bike is around 9k and as long as the road is good, the ride is pretty smooth.

nb

Old August 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #36
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

Everyone has said it already - I don't hit 100 but 90 is comfortable for me and I'm usually around 9 or 10k rmps at that speed.

The only thing I've encountered so far that has freaked the heck out of me was riding behind a truck. I was a good distance so that he could see me in the mirrors while I had a chance to pass him... but the airflow coming from it... on each side was pretty strong. Head bobbin from side to side ain't a good thing
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #37
sombo

You also have to remember that our bikes main power isn't until you get to 9-12k. The older gens red-line is 14k (as noted on our tachs) and if you keep it in 9-12k when trying to accelerate then you'll be using the ninjette at it's peak.

When on the highway at about 75mph mine is sitting at around 9k.

Old August 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #38
EngrNewf
Geeket

what about riding normally on the street? Is it normaal for rpms to be past 4? What's my safe zone here?

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #39
sombo

Safe zone is anything under 14k.

The ninjette's engine (as are pretty much all sport bike engines) was designed for high rev's. It being at 4k is practically idle for our engine. In town I'm usually between 4-6k depending on the speed and what gear I'm in. When slowing down I usually downshift at around 5k and it's nice and smooth on deceleration at that point.

Old August 15th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #40
a10forwar
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

Normal street driving should be 4-8 depending. I am getting a 15 tooth, its in the mail. Will see how tat does? I went beyond redline only one time, I was in 5th passing a car on the autobaun. I ride normal at redline or below no prob so far.
a10forwar is offline   Reply With Quote