Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 23rd, 2014, 09:57 PM   #1
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Watching a rider drop

Its an unpleasant feeling. Obligatory Backstory:

Yesterday, while the GF was at her babyshower, I spent some much needed time beating the hell out of the ninja on the twisties. I throttled over the 2000 mile mark on my experience counter and stopped for a coffee to celebrate. As I sat at the gas station, sipping merrily, I recalled the last 2000 miles. Fondly, I looked back to my first day, dropping the bike at a gas station and learning that slow speed means rear brake. I remember studying, practicing and stopping for breaks. I remember racing up 10.5 miles of Route 29 practicing corners and body positioning. Conversations with new riders and funny little mistakes. I remember all of the close calls, from the first to the last. And of course, my one big crash. I remember knowing nothing 2000 miles ago, and while I still have so much to learn, I find it amazing how quickly this becomes an addiction.

Today, around noon, I was sitting outside enjoying a morning cigarette. I watched a woman, mid 20s, come down my street on a brand new Harley, grinning ear to ear. Immediately, I got the impression that she was a new rider. Most bikes come down my street rumbling pipe. She was coasting with the clutch pulled in. As she got to the stop sign, she became very wobbly and duck walked the last 20 feet or so. Once she reached the stop sign, my view of her was blocked by the cars parked along the road. I heard the rumble of the engine as she tried to find the friction zone and then the sound of metal scraping on concrete.

As I stepped off my porch, she was picking herself up off the ground. A man in a truck behind her got out and helped her pick the bike up as I walked over. I put the kickstand down for her and the 3 of us assessed the damage. Broken light on the right side and scrapes along the footboard and exhaust. She was unscathed despite an obnoxious lack of gear (sneakers, jeans, t-shirt, and a 3/4 helmet with no face protection). I confirmed that she was a new rider. It was her second day. I made a comment about her needing more gear. She shifted a cautious glance at the man from the truck, who was focused on the skin peeling off his leg from the exhaust burning him. I quickly determined that this man was her father, and they have had this conversation before. I mentioned the MSF course. Thats when he stepped in and said "She'll be fine" in a way too aggressive fashion. I'm sure you all can understand that this bothered me. I replied, with her, and my neighbors, who were brought out by the commotion, to hear "You're right. Or she'll be ****ing dead" and I started walking away. I watched as she got in the truck and he got on the bike, no helmet, in shorts with a burnt leg. As he rode away, I heard the scraping of the kickstand catching the ground

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:05 PM   #2
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

I commend your attempt at trying to help another rider stay alive.

Hopefully some of your interaction seeps through and she seeks out some professional assistance in learning to ride
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:13 PM   #3
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

In the meantime, if your in my area, keep an eye out on Craigslist for a brand new harley, "female owned", low miles, light cosmetic damage. Selling to pay for upgrade.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 23rd, 2014, 10:56 PM   #4
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

My wife just hollered down the stairs... "What are you laughing at!?"
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2014, 11:31 PM   #5
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Just as you can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink, You can lead a person to knowledge but you can't make them think.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #6
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

You should be a writer. The scene played out perfectly in my mind.

Unfortunately you will probably be recognized as a misogynist, a man against women riding motorcycles, and as someone who spends too much time sitting on their porch watching people drop 'their' bikes. You will be shunned among your peers.

Why don't ppl learn on little bikes? Geez, I only dropped my ninja once and that was because I couldn't tear my gaze away from a girl walking by and forgot to put the kickstand down before stepping off.

That hurt on multiple levels.

Old June 24th, 2014, 08:29 AM   #7
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
You should be a writer. The scene played out perfectly in my mind.

Unfortunately you will probably be recognized as a misogynist, a man against women riding motorcycles, and as someone who spends too much time sitting on their porch watching people drop 'their' bikes. You will be shunned among your peers.

Why don't ppl learn on little bikes? Geez, I only dropped my ninja once and that was because I couldn't tear my gaze away from a girl walking by and forgot to put the kickstand down before stepping off.

That hurt on multiple levels.
From the way things went down in this story (literally), I'm going to guess she didn't have a lot of choice on what she is 'allowed' to learn on. Harley does not even make a decent beginning level bike. The smallest/lightest bike they make is still not nearly as good as at least a dozen Japanese light bikes. I suspect her dad (or hopefully not husband) would not 'allow' her to own anything other than a Hardly Ableson.....
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #8
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Yeah ^ .. I'm surprised he didn't act aggressively we you said that.

Old June 24th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #9
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

sometimes you see a senario and you can tell what has a good chance of happening in the near future. and there is nothing you can do about it. people are blindly unaware of the risks they take. this is already a dangerous sport. i've always say, if your going to do something stupid, at least be smarty about it. wear gear and be knowledgable about what you are doing. i wish her the best
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #10
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
In the meantime, if your in my area, keep an eye out on Craigslist for a brand new harley, "female owned", low miles, light cosmetic damage. Selling to pay for upgrade.

lol, nice story and great follow-up comment.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #11
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Yeah ^ .. I'm surprised he didn't act aggressively we you said that.
Probably too busy choking back the tears from being burned on his daughters exhaust.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 09:47 AM   #12
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Some people think ahead, and some people have to learn the hard way.

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:27 AM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
Its an unpleasant feeling. Obligatory Backstory:

Yesterday, while the GF was at her babyshower, I spent some much needed time beating the hell out of the ninja on the twisties. I throttled over the 2000 mile mark on my experience counter and stopped for a coffee to celebrate. As I sat at the gas station, sipping merrily, I recalled the last 2000 miles. Fondly, I looked back to my first day, dropping the bike at a gas station and learning that slow speed means rear brake. I remember studying, practicing and stopping for breaks. I remember racing up 10.5 miles of Route 29 practicing corners and body positioning. Conversations with new riders and funny little mistakes. I remember all of the close calls, from the first to the last. And of course, my one big crash. I remember knowing nothing 2000 miles ago, and while I still have so much to learn, I find it amazing how quickly this becomes an addiction.

Today, around noon, I was sitting outside enjoying a morning cigarette. I watched a woman, mid 20s, come down my street on a brand new Harley, grinning ear to ear. Immediately, I got the impression that she was a new rider. Most bikes come down my street rumbling pipe. She was coasting with the clutch pulled in. As she got to the stop sign, she became very wobbly and duck walked the last 20 feet or so. Once she reached the stop sign, my view of her was blocked by the cars parked along the road. I heard the rumble of the engine as she tried to find the friction zone and then the sound of metal scraping on concrete.

As I stepped off my porch, she was picking herself up off the ground. A man in a truck behind her got out and helped her pick the bike up as I walked over. I put the kickstand down for her and the 3 of us assessed the damage. Broken light on the right side and scrapes along the footboard and exhaust. She was unscathed despite an obnoxious lack of gear (sneakers, jeans, t-shirt, and a 3/4 helmet with no face protection). I confirmed that she was a new rider. It was her second day. I made a comment about her needing more gear. She shifted a cautious glance at the man from the truck, who was focused on the skin peeling off his leg from the exhaust burning him. I quickly determined that this man was her father, and they have had this conversation before. I mentioned the MSF course. Thats when he stepped in and said "She'll be fine" in a way too aggressive fashion. I'm sure you all can understand that this bothered me. I replied, with her, and my neighbors, who were brought out by the commotion, to hear "You're right. Or she'll be ****ing dead" and I started walking away. I watched as she got in the truck and he got on the bike, no helmet, in shorts with a burnt leg. As he rode away, I heard the scraping of the kickstand catching the ground

There is a lot to learn from this post.

First, you are to attend your GF's baby shower.

Kids should have married parents.

Everyone, but me, crashes.

Most Harley shops, around me anyway, offer MSF courses.

She was being followed by someone who cared (since she was in fact followed).

It might have been her dad's bike.

She will be fine. Girls rarely ride over their head so I figure her only problem will be starting and stopping, which comes with time.

Old June 24th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #14
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post

She will be fine. Girls rarely ride over their head so I figure her only problem will be starting and stopping, which comes with time.
Haha - that's the most rediculous statement I've ever read.
But I will agree - girls typically are a bit less squid-impulsive then men.

Maybe you don't know the girls I know!
Or you just don't know them the way I know them lol
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #15
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy
lol just wtf
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #16
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
First, you are to attend your GF's baby shower.

Kids should have married parents.
Lol baby showers are not supposed to be Co-ed. For the record though, I spent all morning setting the place up, and all afternoon taking it all down. I just didn't get to stay for the games.

As for married parents thing, it's a little old fashioned. While I agree with you, this wasn't planned and we aren't rushing through a marriage for the sake of status.

Ya feel?

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #17
corksil

I have arrived in this thread for the sole reason of contesting CC cobbway's statement about him being the only person to never crash.

I respectively deny that he is the only person to never crash. My cat has ridden my motorcycle many times, and he has not yet once dropped the bike. Given, I do not allow him to 'ride' the motorcycle while the engine is running or in motion, because I don't believe his skill level is high enough yet. But in the face of scientific evidence, CC is obviously misinformed. I predict my cat will continue his stellar riding career without a single mishap for the rest of eternity.

Wait dude, you had a kid with the woman and you're not even married? We all know divorce rates are in the high 60th-percentile, but the kids don't know that and they also don't know that santa is fictional (sorry guys, that's rough to hear, I know it was for me too) -- but you should keep up appearances for the little ones.

Old June 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM   #18
corksil

EDIT -- atleast until the ungrateful little bastards turn 14, and they become horrid creatures retaining nothing of the 'cuteness' or 'adorability' present in their younger years of life.

I can picture the scenario perfectly.

"Daaaaad, I want another cookie for dessert. One is not enough, even though they are 18" in diameter."

"No son, it's getting close to bed time and you don't need that much sugar."

"Daaaaad, pleeeease?"

"No! You little asswipe I will beat the isht out of you if you ask me again!"

"C'mon, I said please.. just tell me why I can't have another cookie."

"I already told you, you dumb little ufckwit, and if you bother me about cookies ever again, I will divorce your mother and destroy your entire life from this point forward!"

*silence from the child*

*more silence*

"I think I'm going to go recheck the answers on my math homework and go to sleep early tonight because I have an english test tomorrow."

"Good boy. Sweet dreams."

And just like that, social progress was made.

Old June 25th, 2014, 01:11 AM   #19
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

^^^^^about 90% accurate. You're only mistake, I'm having a girl

Old June 25th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #20
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

It's good you were there to help, hopefully you made a positive impression. Unfortunately some people are doomed to proceed through their lives without ever thinking.