ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:13 PM   #1
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Random Photos from Gallery

One of my favorite features of this forum is the "Random Photos" from the "Photo Gallery". There are some great shots!
What's disappointing is when I see one I really like; I want to click on it to freeze it, expand it and maybe read any information about it but instead of getting the photo I am looking at; it just takes me to the whole catalogue! That's next to useless as I have yet to find the picture I was looking at (and not enough time to sift through them all!)!
Am I doing it wrong?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Nope, you're not doing it wrong - there is no link from the pictures to anywhere else. It's just a collection of a whole bunch of cool ninjette pics; no more or no less. The random API is grabbing one from that gallery and popping it up on the page. It is not choosing from pics that are stored somewhere else on this site.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #3
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Nope, you're not doing it wrong - there is no link from the pictures to anywhere else. It's just a collection of a whole bunch of cool ninjette pics; no more or no less. The random API is grabbing one from that gallery and popping it up on the page. It is not choosing from pics that are stored somewhere else on this site.
So if I ever get the coveted "Member of the Month" award; I'll be able to request that capability?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:32 PM   #4
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
@Alex, how hard would that be to do? Allow a direct link from that home page display to the actual photo?

In addition, how hard would it be to also include relevant threads, etc if say we wanted to know what the story behind the picture is?

I've fallen into the same trap as @SLOWn60

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2015, 01:48 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Sorry, it's not possible. When I see an interesting ninjette pic anywhere on the net (including here), I save it in a folder. When I get enough of them, I load them in bulk to that gallery.

It's a different feature than showing random pics from anywhere just on this website. Implementing this instead of the separate gallery isn't impossible (some forums do it), but it means that the random picture may not be a nice looking picture of a ninjette or its rider. Look at any of the pics on any thread here, and see how many would be proper front-page pics. Some, but less than you may have thought going in. There are technical challenges to this method as well, given the flexibility that the forum has here for posting pictures (including adding as attachments, adding links to in-house picture galleries, and live-linking to external images).

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 10th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #6
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Alex has a point; it's an oxymoron to claim there's a good picture of me!
Seriously; the more I think about it: there's a privacy issue too; there's a few young people in those photos and it's probably not a good idea for a creep to anonymously be able to collect information about someone from a random photo. I've got my father/grandfather hat on while typing this!
(Not my creepy old guy hat!!!)

Old November 10th, 2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
@Alex, how hard would that be to do? Allow a direct link from that home page display to the actual photo?
I realized I didn't directly answer this question. I would have hoped (when I first implemented it 6 or 7 years back), that the smugmug random pic API could be used to provide a link to the pic within the gallery as well as the pic itself (even if there isn't any additional context or info tied to the pic in the gallery). But sadly, it doesn't; and to my knowledge it has never been updated to do so. Here's what I mean, just go to the portal page and copy the image URL by right-clicking, here's what the code is:

Code:
https://secure.smugmug.com/photos/random.mg?AlbumID=5159458&AlbumKey=6dhW3&Size=M
It returns an image url, so if you put that code within IMG tags, voila: a picture shows up. But if you put that same code just a few lines later, it will pull a new random image. So within the webpage itself, there isn't a straightforward way to show on a single page both the image and the link to that image within the gallery, using that simple API. There isn't a way to substitute the response from the API into a variable and then call that same variable twice right within the basic HTML. I had thought it would have been possible within php, but never had much luck with it way back when. There were similar requests on the smugmug forums, and I was never able to track down a working prototype.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 10th, 2015, 04:29 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

It's fun going back and running into the same problems 6 years later! I went back to see what I missed, and have run into the same wall. Yes - you can use the api twice, and yes - it actually does return the same url on that same page. I got really excited when I tested it, but then I realized (and re-remembered) the core problem.

The URL for the pic is just that, it is the URL for the bare pic on its own. That URL is actually not related to the web page that shows the smugmug gallery with the pic selected. So I chose back then to point it to the gallery for all links, rather than the relatively pointless bare URL - which just takes you to a page that shows the same picture you are already looking at, except with nothing else on the page.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.