ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 6th, 2023, 06:06 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Mental Health

What do you all do on those bad days? Lately, with the hand life has given me, it feels like no matter what I do, I'm overwhelmed. Depression, anxiety....just everything hitting me. Don't worry, not that depressed.

Still, being alone, feeling lonely, not sure about my relationship...all that, what do you all do when life seems like it is hitting you from both sides?

I used to ride a lot. Still try to, but it doesn't work like it used to. I find myself dwelling on issues even more. Like setting your favorite song to repeat one. The stuff sits in my head and I can end up either a little better or worse, like a flip of a coin.

After church, I rode around on my Z. The last major rain storm got water in my tank, and I was trying to burn it out (which I did). Towards the tail end of my 3 hour journey, I found myself at Guitar Center. I knew they had cheap keyboards, and I was debating on getting one, but I wasn't set on one. Stopped by to more window shop than anything.

I am working on making tracks of songs we use a church. Mainly for vocalists. The music director changes the key for some songs, and many of the backup vocalists have a hard time adapting because they cannot practice it. So I am arranging the drums, bass, etc., to make tracks for them to practice singing to (also making full tracks as backups for when the music director takes a vacation or something, that way we only need a vocalist).

Anyway, I was walking around the store and looking around. I had been debating on keys or a guitar. Mainly because trying to input it all manually in my DAW (digital audio workstation) is so annoying. Could I do it? Sure, but easier to get an idea of the flow while playing.

Then I saw it. A $90 guitar. I wasn't even aware the thing was made. Fender Squire Mini. I don't have a lot of room, so this tiny thing would be perfect. I got it thinking about the music for church. I loaded the body in my motorcycle backpack, with the neck poking out and straight up. I took the 35 minute journey back to my place and tuned it up. I don't have an amp, but I have a 2 channel mixer I plug into, and just wear headphones.

It was about 3 hours later I put it down because my fingers were raw. I learned a song, new chords, and finally being able to wash the worries away for a moment. Music is truly my escape. I woke up this morning, and immediately wanted to play, but I have to log onto my computer to do work (also, I think my fingers need a rest).

Sucks having life make you feel worthless, and alone. I sure feel that way right now. At least I have the option to make music again....which helped me get through high school. Don't know why I ever stopped and got rid of my old gear years ago.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old February 6th, 2023, 07:42 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I'd great that you're enjoying the Squier mini. You might enjoy browsing the Squier board: https://www.squier-talk.com/
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2023, 10:55 AM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

The very first guitar I got was a Memphis 4-string bass. It was so weird, because the body was so light that if I let go, the neck would fly towards the floor. lol

First guitar I ever purchased for myself was a red Fender Squire. Played that for ages. Then upgraded to a Kirk Hammett ESP. That was like heaven. I currently have a 4 and 5-string bass.

This one will work great though. I don't need high end stuff to do chords and simple riffs. So this will work nicely. And it is easy to transport. I'll admit it does look weird when I am holding it, as it is a kids 3/4 guitar. Good thing I have long and skinny fingers, because it would be a nightmare otherwise lol

This will hold me over for a while and its compact size is great for what I need it for. I'll mainly use it for just recording and practice, though I wouldn't be surprised if I am asked to play on stage. If it becomes more common, I'll upgrade to a full-sized rig which will give me some breathing room on the chords.

Old February 6th, 2023, 11:06 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

It might be worth looking at some of the headless guitars. I have a couple. They're light, small, and very comfortable to play, but still have 25.5" scales. Here's my '80s Hondo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hondo_xk-5_xmas_tree.jpg (190.1 KB, 5 views)

Old February 6th, 2023, 12:26 PM   #5
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Very nice. I got this because....$90! lol

Old February 6th, 2023, 12:57 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I understand. The old Hondo was only a couple hundred from eBay. It even came with a little hard case. I thought it was something to consider if you like small, light guitars and end up wanting to get a full sized one to play live performances as you said.

Old February 6th, 2023, 01:44 PM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Appreciate it. This one is working great so far. A little fret noise, but you don't pick it up when thrown through an amp. Good sustain on clean, which is better than my old Squier Strat that I had ages ago

Old February 6th, 2023, 04:39 PM   #8
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
I'm glad you found your way back to something that helps you.

I'm not quite sure what to do about it myself. Riding helps (about the time I hit 3rd gear and 10,000 rpm, YEAHH!!!!!) but it's cold. I don't like to ride in the cold. Friend will go to a museum with me, but she's occupied until the end of the month. Did a bit of work in the front yard today, which helped. The front yard has turned into a jungle with the recent rain....

I hear you on feeling alone.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 7th, 2023, 01:57 AM   #9
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Sucks what you're going through and only hope things turn around soon. In the mean time, I'd say do just what you did! Talk, or type, away!!! Connect with your inner child or past self ie making music again. Keep us updated!

imo when things get this why I feel like there's a change needing to happen or something, so best to explore it and ride through the emotions instead of avoiding em. That's my broken two cents lol. I hope others chime in!

Appreciate you for sharing!

Old February 8th, 2023, 08:22 PM   #10
Brigand
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2020 Ninja 1000sx, 2008 Ninja 250R

Happy place

The bike is my happy place, I live in an area that has fantastic windy roads close by, I just love getting into the corners just a little bit too fast so that there can be nothing else in my head. I always come back feeling much better about my world.
The pick is the ninja 1000 for this and for smaller rides and around town the 250 is great, I let the RPM go nuts and feel like I am going fast...
It is a good thing to find that happy place to recharge for life.
Brigand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 14th, 2023, 01:44 AM   #11
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Things have turned better for me. Thank goodness. Relationship is doing great, we worked out the issue. Also, hung out with a friend and noticed an electric guitar on the wall. Picked it up, tuned it and played it a bit. He said it was his brother's and he just had it there. Also stated he never played it anymore. Long story short, I asked about if he would be willing to part with it, and if so for how much. I said it would be used to make music for the church.

A day later I got a call saying I could have it. I asked how much, he said free. So I got a 2016 Epiphone SG for free. A $500 guitar. I polished the chrome a bit (need a small buffer), reconditioned the fretboard, new pot knobs, and just gave it a good clean as it was insanely dusty. Had to tweak the bridge to fix intonation problems. But it sounds great and it is fun to play.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230314-034707_Chrome.jpg (49.5 KB, 2 views)

Old March 19th, 2023, 06:21 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Congratulations for getting the funk out of your head. Music is a great way to do that. Something that I do is go for a long run.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2023, 08:45 PM   #13
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I have since also acquired an Ibanez TCY10E acoustic. Jamming on that a lot. Told myself that when I complete my software developer training, I'm going to get an off-brand telecaster to keep at work a strum on my break. ��

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 9th, 2023, 11:08 AM   #14
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Nice!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 17th, 2023, 03:07 PM   #15
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I have since also acquired an Ibanez TCY10E acoustic. Jamming on that a lot. Told myself that when I complete my software developer training, I'm going to get an off-brand telecaster to keep at work a strum on my break. ��
Yes!! Love it. Thank you for keeping us updated!

Old January 31st, 2024, 11:34 AM   #16
Rickybob
ninjette.org member

Name: jasper

Motorcycle(s): none yet

On those tough days, I totally get it – life can feel like a heavy load to carry. When I'm feeling overwhelmed, I find that going on a trip or seeking out new experiences really helps lift my spirits, have already booked tickets on vettix. There's something about exploring new places and immersing myself in different cultures that brings a sense of renewal and excitement. Just remember to pay attention to details, book everything carefully (check reviews), and then just go for it! Sometimes a change of scenery is all we need to shake off those bad vibes and rediscover our zest for life.

Last futzed with by Rickybob; February 14th, 2024 at 02:03 AM.
Rickybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2024, 12:32 PM   #17
oldnewninjarider
ninjette.org member

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): EX250F

I found what helps me is getting off the computer/phone/tv/screens, getting out of the house and outside in the fresh air/sun/nature, socializing with people in real life, intense exercise, eating clean whole animal based food, going for a swim, walking.
oldnewninjarider is offline   Reply With Quote