Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 12th, 2023, 03:21 PM   #1
JnrX
jnrx

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

Post Ninja EX250 Start & Idle Issue

Hey guys,

So I'm having problems with a 2010 Ninja 250 that I recently purchased. The bike is still brand new and only has 40km on the clock however Im having trouble starting the bike and then when it starts, it won't idle very well and then just stalls.

I have taken the carby out, cleaned it thoroughly, put new fuel in the tank and I have also changed the spark plugs.

The bike will start only with the choke on and no acceleration and the idle adjustment cog completely turned anti-clockwise. If the idle cog is turned clockwise and adjusts the throttle position, the bike will not start at all.

Once the bike starts, it will very much shortly after stall unless the throttle is slowly increased. once the throttle is released, the bikes revs come down and again it stalls. This happens on a cold or warm engine.

I have attached 2 videos to show what I refer to.

Any help would be amazing!

Thanks
JnrX

Untitled.mov

Untitled2.mov

Untitled3.mov

Old March 12th, 2023, 04:15 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Welcome to the board, Shawn! My guess is that the pilot circuits are still clogged. It's very common in these bikes if they have been sitting more than a couple weeks. Here's a page that will give you an idea of what needs to be cleaned.

https://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/s...-passages.html
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2023, 06:33 PM   #3
JnrX
jnrx

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

Hey Jim,

Thank you for reply

Im almost 100% certain that I have cleaned the pilot circuits as I have taken the carby out 4 times now and admittedly the first 2 times, yes I had missed sections. I have cleaned the carby with throttle bottle cleaner and also used compressed air to blow through the inlets and the air passages.

Could it be anything else you think ?

I will take the carby out and clean it again just for safe measures, but whilst that is out, is there something else I could possibly check at the same time?

Should I adjust the needle and pin?

Thanks Shawn

Old March 27th, 2023, 07:08 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Um.... just guessing here but have you checked the float height ? maybe you have a bad float or something it sounds as if it starts and runs for a bit but finally just runs out of gas... that is float level !
.... Jim is Right ! those idle passageways are extreamily hard to clean
I am a retired motorcycle mechanic, I had my own shop in the 1970's and even I had to take these silly carbs out 3 times to get them clean enough to run... and then it wasn't quite right..... so I finally sent them to Ducattiman here on this site and had him clean them professionally ! it takes an ultrasonic cleaner and soda blasting and taking everything on the carb that can come off, OFF
to get them clean again.... so instead of wasting 3 weeks on the carbs I just sent them to Gordon (Ducattiman) and had him do them it was money well spent ! in the pilot circuit there is a 4 way junction that is super hard to get clean.... I believe that is the main culprit to the problems with these carbs
you can't run a wire or cable through them in all directions I tried and got them half way clean.... but it didn't last, as I obviously missed some stuff.
so I sent them off to have them cleaned by a guy that does this as his living
and is set up for it....
in my experience these carburetors are the hardest to clean of ANY motorcycle carb I have come across .
My bike had set for 4 years with gas in the carbs so they were a mess
and it did almost the same thing it wouldn't run without the choke.
I pulled them and cleaned them real good making sure I got carb cleaner through every orface.... and they still didn't work... I pulled them and did the same thing again but even more thorough... they worked better but still not right... it was very cold blooded .... finally I took off the carbs and dissasembled everything on the carbs and cleaned everything and then it ran
ok..... not perfect just good enough.... I let it set over the winter starting it every once in a while but found in the spring it was back to it's old habbit of not running without the choke so I took the carbs off and sent them to Ducattiman. he is a master of his craft !
I hope this helps you get your Monster running as I know how frustrating it can be !
hang in there !
Bob......