ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Notices

Old December 25th, 2021, 10:42 AM   #1
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Cell phone mount

Any suggestions or ideas (Photo) being at it impossible to mount them to the handlebars themselves.
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 25th, 2021, 10:43 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to Farkles...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2021, 09:23 PM   #3
Idealhobbies
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2003 Yamaha Vstar 650

I use a ram mount with the ball on the LOWER bolt hole on the handle bars. USE THE LOWER BOLT!!! I made a mistake and used the upper bolt and squished the wire underneath that I didn't see and shorted out my bike. Use the lower hole!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J43I56...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Holder...ve%2C60&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composi...ve%2C55&sr=1-2

They are ridiculously overpriced in my opinion, but they work very well. I tried several others and ended up with the ram. So...save the money that I threw away on cheap others and go ram from the start.
Idealhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2021, 12:33 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Ram mount's way to go! I use them to hold video camera on my race-bike. Even after high-side crash, camera's still secure and rolling!!!'
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2021, 06:11 AM   #5
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealhobbies View Post
I use a ram mount with the ball on the LOWER bolt hole on the handle bars. USE THE LOWER BOLT!!! I made a mistake and used the upper bolt and squished the wire underneath that I didn't see and shorted out my bike. Use the lower hole!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J43I56...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/Cradle-Holder...ve%2C60&sr=1-5

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Composi...ve%2C55&sr=1-2

They are ridiculously overpriced in my opinion, but they work very well. I tried several others and ended up with the ram. So...save the money that I threw away on cheap others and go ram from the start.
Thanks that what I was looking for

Old December 28th, 2021, 07:01 AM   #6
Idealhobbies
ninjette.org member

As a follow-up to my suggestion...

Because they are quite popular, and ridiculously overpriced, they are also a popular item to steal. With the quick adjustment knob installed, it only takes seconds to remove a mount and arm. They sell an adjustment setup "lock" that takes a "Key" to turn it.

I replaced the quick adjustment knob with a regular nut on the items that I leave permanently on the bike. Not only is my phone mount using the ram ball setup, but my TomTom Rider 550 GPS (happily recommend despite it's few quirks) has a ram mount system mount. These items stay on my bike, so I use a regular nut instead of the quick adjuster. I have them just loose enough that I can move them with a bit of resistance to adjust for sun washout if needed, but tight enough so that they don't move while riding. They will sometimes move if I hit a large bump, but not under normal circumstances.

Here are the ram mount "securing" items...

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-MOUNTS-RA...0699862&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Locking...0699988&sr=8-2

Like I said...a simple nut works for me. If they want to steal it, I make them work a little harder for it, without spending $70

Old December 28th, 2021, 07:35 AM   #7
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
As a follow-up to my suggestion...

Because they are quite popular, and ridiculously overpriced, they are also a popular item to steal. With the quick adjustment knob installed, it only takes seconds to remove a mount and arm. They sell an adjustment setup "lock" that takes a "Key" to turn it.

I replaced the quick adjustment knob with a regular nut on the items that I leave permanently on the bike. Not only is my phone mount using the ram ball setup, but my TomTom Rider 550 GPS (happily recommend despite it's few quirks) has a ram mount system mount. These items stay on my bike, so I use a regular nut instead of the quick adjuster. I have them just loose enough that I can move them with a bit of resistance to adjust for sun washout if needed, but tight enough so that they don't move while riding. They will sometimes move if I hit a large bump, but not under normal circumstances.

Here are the ram mount "securing" items...

https://www.amazon.com/RAM-MOUNTS-RA...0699862&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Mount-Locking...0699988&sr=8-2

Like I said...a simple nut works for me. If they want to steal it, I make them work a little harder for it, without spending $70
I definitely be getting rid of that quick adjustment knob and go is with security bolt

Old December 28th, 2021, 02:57 PM   #8
Idealhobbies
ninjette.org member

Also, check other stores or ram mount directly. Seems that some amazon sellers have sustained head injuries where the current prices are set. The locking knob is $72 on amazon currently....$29.49 direct from Ram.

Old December 28th, 2021, 04:29 PM   #9
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Also, check other stores or ram mount directly. Seems that some amazon sellers have sustained head injuries where the current prices are set. The locking knob is $72 on amazon currently....$29.49 direct from Ram.
I don't buy anything from Amazon being that don't accept paypal.

Old January 11th, 2022, 07:11 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I got the Quad Lock setup and I am real glad I did it sticks to the back of my phone's case and is super secure even on dirt roads and pot holes
the handle bar attachment thing is robust and i have no fear of it braking because of a bump .... they also have a unit that will charge your phone
without plugging it in or one that you can plug into like normal
I saw the Ram mounts and thought they would not handle bad bumps or dirt roads and trails and I wanted something that wasn't going to brake...
and so far I can say that I got what I wanted ! fast and easy to put on or take off... for me it's the way to go.... I'll take it off the ninja and put it on the RX4
as that is what it was intended for in the first place.
their expensive.... but very secure ! my 200 dollar phone isn't going to be destroyed when it's on the bike I'm fairly certain ! if I had a $600 dollar phone I would leave it home instead of taking it with me LOL
but with the Quad lock phone holder there is no need it's as secure as it gets !

Bob.......

Old January 11th, 2022, 07:25 AM   #11
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

I'm plan on ordering
RAM Mounts RAM-B-367U Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base
Quad Lock Motorcycle Vibration Dampener
Quad Lock 1" Ball Adaptor Mount and Case Kit for my iPhone
Then need to do is fig out RAM Mounts Double Socket Arm Overall Length I need for it.

Old January 19th, 2022, 11:05 AM   #12
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I use the upper bolt hole and yup the short 55mm was to long was very close to wires I cut down my bolt my guest is a 50mm will work better in this case with that ball mount

Old February 14th, 2022, 09:55 AM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by shspvr View Post
I don't buy anything from Amazon being that don't accept paypal.
They do if you use a PayPal card… right?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2022, 09:58 AM   #14
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
They do if you use a PayPal card… right?
I add a photo of the Quad Lock 360 Arm "Small 51mm Dual Pivot" which come with security bolt
I don't know don't have one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cell holder.jpg (99.4 KB, 21 views)

Last futzed with by shspvr; February 14th, 2022 at 12:38 PM.

Old April 3rd, 2022, 03:32 PM   #15
TikiCaser
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Thank you for this advice. I installed my today and I'm sure I would have used the lower bolt. I would have also probably tried to put it on the left side. The right lower bolt was perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram 01.jpg (121.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Ram 02.jpg (127.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Ram 03.jpg (131.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Ram 04.jpg (159.3 KB, 14 views)

Old January 4th, 2023, 03:14 PM   #16
MikeCL
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 EX250

Question about the bike mounts have any of you have issues (iphone users) with the camera on the phone being messed up with vibration or anything like that?
MikeCL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2023, 03:37 PM   #17
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCL View Post
Question about the bike mounts have any of you have issues (iphone users) with the camera on the phone being messed up with vibration or anything like that?
That why you want a Quad Lock Vibration Dampener

Old January 5th, 2023, 04:53 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

There are many, many stories online about phone cameras being borked after being mounted on a hard point of a bike. This wasn't much of an issue until the more recent phones started to put mechanical focusing and related moving parts inside the cameras, rather than more simple fixed-focus designs. Dampening mounts can certainly help - but I still wouldn't mount a modern $1000+ phone I cared about hard mounted to any motorcycle. Either wear it on the body and bluetooth to any headset or earphones, or get a cheap sub $100 phone that you don't care about to put on the bike itself.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 1st, 2023, 11:18 AM   #19
Guaire
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2005 EX250, 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT

I just used the M8 x 1.25 thread on the clutch perch. Ram mount to iPhone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cockpit SZ 74.jpg (89.4 KB, 40 views)
Guaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2023, 02:26 PM   #20
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guaire View Post
I just used the M8 x 1.25 thread on the clutch perch. Ram mount to iPhone.
Hi, can you post photo of back where it attaches to clutch perch? Thx

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2023, 03:27 AM   #21
Shafer
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja ex250 blue and 07 Ninja black

Arm - RAM Mounts RAP-B-200-12U
Triple tree screw mount - RAM-B-367U
Quadlock ball - Motorcycle - 1" Ball Adaptor

I started with the ram mount for my phone and it was annoying with the rubber holder then it ended up ripping.

I went with quadlock with the vibration mount and it's amazing. Way faster getting on and off. Quadlock phone case is extremely high quality and rugged.
Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2023, 05:20 AM   #22
Guaire
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2005 EX250, 2014 Royal Enfield Continental GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hi, can you post photo of back where it attaches to clutch perch? Thx

Hi DannoXYZ - Here's the link to the post that shows the M8. When I bought the bike, there was a plastic cover over the female threads in the clutch perch. I took it off, and there was my M8, ready for a threaded RAM ball.
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=396250
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ram SZ 85.jpg (257.4 KB, 4 views)
Guaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2023, 09:15 AM   #23
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
It seems like all of these little Ninjas have the clutch perch with the mirror mount hole. Maybe even on the bigger bikes too. You can see the plug in the hole on my 400 below.

It doesn't specifically help you guys, but here are pics of my bikes' setups. It at least might give you some ideas of things to try.

The Ram steering stem mount just happened to use the same size screw as the gauge cluster trim on the 500. I took out the rubber part and screwed it in above my gauges. Gave a nice mounting point up under the windscreen.

On the 400, I used the stem mount as intended.

The end of the arm nestled into the curve of the handlebar bracket well, and the Finger-Grip did a great job of holding a bunch of different iPhone models over the years. The screen was easy to see, but it was still basically right over the top of the fork tube, so fairly protected by the fairing in front and various hard parts around it. With a magnetic Qi charger on it and hardwired to the accessory power, my phone started charging as soon as I dropped it in when starting the bike.

However, I like my new setup best of all. https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=397002

Bigger screen, better interface, and my phone stays in my pocket. The downside is that the phone isn't charging, but it also uses a lot less battery when the screen isn't on.

On my buddy's VFR, he was able to use the top part of a handlebar U-bolt Ram mount with some longer bolts on the front two gas tank mounting holes, right behind the steering stem. It basically ends up being the same location as a steering stem mount, but bolted to the frame. I don't think any of the little Ninjas use tank mounting setups like that, but one more idea you might be able to turn into something useful.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote