ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 29th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #1
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Name: Breh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Sputtering/Bogging eventually dying

For the past few weeks I've been working on my 08 250. It all started with this problem where the bike would run fine for a little while, but the longer it'd stay on, the worse it'd run. It would start bogging and sputtering and until it just would die and not stay on anymore.

So I spent a couple of weeks on it, me and a friend (the friend knows his way around better than me) took apart the bike, checked and adjusted the valves, rebuilt the carb and cleaned it out. We also suspected bad fuel, so we emptied the tank out and added fresh fuel.

Eventually, the bike was running. And it was running good too, warmed up and ran nice.

Now, today. Well, before today, a couple of days ago, I added a little more of the same fuel we emptied (the fuel we suspected to be bad). I didn't add all of it, just some. I turned it on and it rode around fine.

Now, today I turn on the bike, it started and idled fine, start to ride it out of my apartments and it started bogging and sputtering like before. And again, the longer it stays on, the worse it gets until eventually it won't stay on now.

I'm running out of ideas and this is starting to annoy me quite a bit, what am I missing? Would anyone here happen to have any ideas?

EDIT - Oh and I forgot too add, today, after the bike started the same problems. I emptied the tank again and added .4 gallons of new fuel, since I thought the problem was I added bad fuel again, but it still had the same problem.
z0sum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Well... sounds like you already figgered it out. That gas is bad. Now have you purchased gas anywhere else since?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2015, 04:36 PM   #3
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Well... sounds like you already figgered it out. That gas is bad. Now have you purchased gas anywhere else since?
I don't know if you saw the edit, but I switched the gas out of the tank again and the problem is still there. I emptied out the tank, took it to a gas station and got some fresh fuel. Same thing is still happening.

Old April 29th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #4
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Have you left the bike out in the rain at all? Doing so can get water in the tank, contaminating the gas. You cleared it all out when cleaning the carbs. When you added it back in, the water contaminated the float bowls. Water is heavier than fuel, so it went to bottom of floats. Even with new fresh gas in tank, you still have contaminated gas in carb and floats bowls. Try emptying the float bowls, pulling fresh gas through the system. See what that does and let us know.

Also, what is condition of spark plugs?

Old April 29th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0sum View Post

I'm running out of ideas and this is starting to annoy me quite a bit, what am I missing? Would anyone here happen to have any ideas?...........
This is how-to:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Draining_the_carbs

Also, check that the air intake is free of any obstructions and that the air filter is clean.
Verify that the choke is fully released; that the cable fully liberates the plunge at the carburetors.

Inspect the two wire connectors at each coil (the cylindrical black things that feed the spark plugs).

Apply vacuum to the petcock and measure the amount of fuel that drains into a container: it should be around half a cup per minute.
If not, blow in reverse through the petcock to clean the fuel filter inside the tank.

There is a tiny mesh filter inside the end of the fuel hose, right where it connects to the carburetors: inspect it and blow through it.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2015, 04:12 PM   #6
z0sum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmbShn41 View Post
Have you left the bike out in the rain at all? Doing so can get water in the tank, contaminating the gas. You cleared it all out when cleaning the carbs. When you added it back in, the water contaminated the float bowls. Water is heavier than fuel, so it went to bottom of floats. Even with new fresh gas in tank, you still have contaminated gas in carb and floats bowls. Try emptying the float bowls, pulling fresh gas through the system. See what that does and let us know.

Also, what is condition of spark plugs?
I drained the carbs and the bike started up and started running good. Thanks.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.