ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 General Discussion

Notices

Old February 23rd, 2016, 10:56 PM   #41
Suprafreak13
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, (Ninja 300 replacing it soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
dem eyes

sweet build all around, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get your hands on a set of alpha 13s

personally I'm thinking of going to the bridgestone slicks, the ccs contingency would be nice to have and they seem to have crazy grip/longevity. Just need rain tires on an extra set of rims for it to be worth it
What slicks do you speak of? There aren't any bridgestone slicks in the 140-150 range that I know of.. I think 160 is the smallest rear slick available.

I'll be running the new Bridgestone RS10 DOT tires, the 150 is being manufactured now and will be available in the US in April I am told. I'm going to run the pirelli's from last year until then.
Suprafreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:05 PM   #42
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprafreak13 View Post
What slicks do you speak of? There aren't any bridgestone slicks in the 140-150 range that I know of.. I think 160 is the smallest rear slick available.

I'll be running the new Bridgestone RS10 DOT tires, the 150 is being manufactured now and will be available in the US in April I am told. I'm going to run the pirelli's from last year until then.
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/RoadRacing.aspx
the 250gp slick has a 155 rear. I've seen it in action on a 300 before
found this link to them off the ccs website under bridgestone's contingency button

Seeing as I can't seem to find an actual for sale link for them and the racer complained the front had too much grip I'm interested in these RS10s (I'm likely to stick with the dunlops but if I can get cash for running bridgestones in ccs then I'm tempted)

Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:20 PM   #43
Suprafreak13
ninjette.org member

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, (Ninja 300 replacing it soon)

Quote:
http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/RoadRacing.aspx
the 250gp slick has a 155 rear. I've seen it in action on a 300 before
found this link to them off the ccs website under bridgestone's contingency button

Seeing as I can't seem to find an actual for sale link for them and the racer complained the front had too much grip I'm interested in these RS10s (I'm likely to stick with the dunlops but if I can get cash for running bridgestones in ccs then I'm tempted)

According to that link the 155 tire is for an 18" rim...would make for an interesting ride on a 300 wheel...

I always ran Bridgestones on my last race bike (FZR400/600), but the research I did everyone says the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa was the best for the 250.. It is a real race compound, where the Bridgeston RS10 and previous S20 are closer to street compound rubber. I'm going to try the RS10's and if they aren't a big drop in performance from the Pirellis I'll continue running them, for the contingency possibility.
Suprafreak13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2016, 11:31 PM   #44
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
damn, missed that detail. Good eyes man

I swear I've seen smaller sv650 slicks on a ninja 300 before though. Could have been 160 or 165
The pirellis are fantastic tires but they're so expensive compared to the other options, pretty confident that the bridgestones will be cheaper the dunlops are a lot cheaper too

Old February 24th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #45
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I believe some people run a 90/110 slick combo on the stock wheels.

Old February 28th, 2016, 11:42 AM   #46
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 (race), Ninja 1000 (road)

Quote:
dem eyes
The perfect eyes for your bike from Prostickers.com on Ebay.
Available in a bunch of different color combos. I would expect green to be pretty good looking on standard lime green Kawis.

Quote:
sweet build all around, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you get your hands on a set of alpha 13s
I'm a Pirelli man but decided to take a step away from those on this 300. Just too damn expensive. SC DOT race tires stick like nothing else in the world, but at least on my 675R they are pretty much done in 2 days. If the alpha 13's come anywhere close to that sticky, I will be happy. Burning away thousands on tires every year is one of the main driving reasons behind building a ultralight race bike. And despite it's dated tech, the bike still manages to be a load of fun on the track.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 28th, 2016, 10:33 PM   #47
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Yeah I think I only went through 2 sets of alpha 13s and one set of pirellis across last season.

I'm expecting to run through 4-5 sets of tires this year but that's with 70-80 days at the track planned.

Old February 29th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #48
ninja-turtle
ninjette.org member

Name: El Jefe

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki 636

Quote:
Yeah I think I only went through 2 sets of alpha 13s and one set of pirellis across last season.

I'm expecting to run through 4-5 sets of tires this year but that's with 70-80 days at the track planned.
whoa whoa whoa, shoot me a pm and let me know how you plan on getting in these 70-80 days worth of track time. I'm also interested seriously tho
ninja-turtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2016, 08:37 AM   #49
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja-turtle View Post
whoa whoa whoa, shoot me a pm and let me know how you plan on getting in these 70-80 days worth of track time. I'm also interested seriously tho
no need for PM

Team ProMotion Titanium membership is good for 70 days or so
+ CCS Atlantic
+ 1-2 days at Mid-O
+ Jennings endurance races in Nov: 3 days

Old February 29th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #50
coolkhas
ninjette.org member

Name: K

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Awesome build! Im kind of jealous because this is damn near the same paint scheme I had in mind for my race build....
coolkhas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 29th, 2016, 08:48 AM   #51
coolkhas
ninjette.org member

Quote:

So what exactly do you do for a living, and are you hiring?

Old February 29th, 2016, 09:03 AM   #52
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkhas View Post
So what exactly do you do for a living, and are you hiring?
I work 60-80hrs/week during the school year while being a student
once the season is going it'll be 40hrs/week

waiting tables/bartending/I run a parcel delivery system (mostly for attorneys who forget their paperwork in the morning and need it at the courthouse as fast as possible but I ferry paperwork between offices as well) and I'm in school to be an accountant right now so I know how distribute money well. Savings go a long way. It helps that my rent is cheap and I don't mind living like a miser

Total track budget it $7,500~ this year for all of those days and races, it's literally the only thing I do that costs money. If I wasn't on a ninja 300 I wouldn't be able to afford it

Old February 29th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #53
coolkhas
ninjette.org member

Thats awesome man!!! Good luck and ill see you on the grid this season!

Old February 29th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #54
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
no need for PM

Team ProMotion Titanium membership is good for 70 days or so
+ CCS Atlantic
+ 1-2 days at Mid-O
+ Jennings endurance races in Nov: 3 days
Nice. I don't think I'll get 70 days, but most of my non- CCS racing time on track is going to be practice time at the kart track. I happen to have the best kart track in the USA about 1/2 hr from my house. (USAIR) Depending on the configuration, it's up to 21 turns and 1.1 miles of premium world class asphalt. It's a fun, demanding and technical track with banked corners and dramatic elevation changes. Pretty much a world class facility, and not patched and repaired all to hell like some tracks. I rode my supermoto there often but I'll be getting a lot of seat time on the 300 there this year.

My one track day splurge this year will be at NCM in Kentucky with MidwestTrackDay end of April. Any Ninjettes showing up for that? Come find me and say hi.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 29th, 2016, 09:00 PM   #55
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I think @csmith12 could be convinced to do a day at NCM in Kentucky

Old February 29th, 2016, 09:11 PM   #56
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I think @csmith12 could be convinced to do a day at NCM in Kentucky
Cool, we can start a thread if you want to kick it around before hand. That track trip is mostly Kevin's to plan for us, but I am excited to haul is there and ride.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 07:24 AM   #57
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
time on track is going to be practice time at the kart track. I happen to have the best kart track in the USA about 1/2 hr from my house. (USAIR) ...Pretty much a world class facility, and not patched and repaired all to hell like some tracks.

LOL, most of my track time will be on a kart track as well ...... but it will be patched and repaired all to hell

That is a ridiculously nice kart track.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 04:49 PM   #58
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Nice. I don't think I'll get 70 days, but most of my non- CCS racing time on track is going to be practice time at the kart track. I happen to have the best kart track in the USA about 1/2 hr from my house. (USAIR) Depending on the configuration, it's up to 21 turns and 1.1 miles of premium world class asphalt. It's a fun, demanding and technical track with banked corners and dramatic elevation changes. Pretty much a world class facility, and not patched and repaired all to hell like some tracks. I rode my supermoto there often but I'll be getting a lot of seat time on the 300 there this year.

My one track day splurge this year will be at NCM in Kentucky with MidwestTrackDay end of April. Any Ninjettes showing up for that? Come find me and say hi.
I love this track! Although you won't find it in this condition anymore it's still nice. I got my son started here on his Ninja250 when he was 12. He and I have many laps on this track. I tried uploading a video but its not cooperating. I think Anne and Pat still run the operation for the bank that owns it. For a minimal fee you can practice weeknights there.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 05:07 PM   #59
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce71198 View Post
I love this track! Although you won't find it in this condition anymore it's still nice. I got my son started here on his Ninja250 when he was 12. He and I have many laps on this track. I tried uploading a video but its not cooperating. I think Anne and Pat still run the operation for the bank that owns it. For a minimal fee you can practice weeknights there.
Is there a class for a Ninja 250 to run? Looked like mostly Supermotos.

It's a bit of a trek for me, but it would be fun to check it out. We have a track-able (beater) Ninja 250.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 1st, 2016, 08:29 PM   #60
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

USAIR has a private owner now. Been going there every year since 2011. Still in great condition, at least if you compare it to the RA motorplex. That damn place makes my sphincter hurt from clenching too much. Different levels of traction everywhere.

Northwoods GP used to run a 250 road class at USAIR, along with normal supermoto and mini classes, but I think they died off. Holy crap would it be awesome to have some real Ultralight racing there. I wish someone could pull that together.

I have not run a baby ninja yet at USAIR, it's just been 2 or 3 supermotos I've owned. I'm excited to try it out.

Old March 2nd, 2016, 07:25 AM   #61
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Is there a class for a Ninja 250 to run? Looked like mostly Supermotos.

It's a bit of a trek for me, but it would be fun to check it out. We have a track-able (beater) Ninja 250.
Wisconsin Mini Racing League kind of took over when North Woods GP left the scene. They had a Ninja250 class and the track was well suited for it. Check WMRL on Facebook
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2016, 08:26 AM   #62
NinjaRick
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): Cbr1000 repsol and ninja 300

Ebc brakes

Hey what are your thoughts on the ebc HH sintered brakes ? I'm going to my first track day on the 300 in two months and I ordered those
NinjaRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2016, 07:38 PM   #63
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaRick View Post
Hey what are your thoughts on the ebc HH sintered brakes ? I'm going to my first track day on the 300 in two months and I ordered those
Feel free to wait for the OP's opinion, but the most common response I've seen on this forum is that the Vesrahs are preferable, and both are probably overkill for most riders. Your personal tastes will be a bigger factor than the pads themselves in this case.

Old March 3rd, 2016, 09:34 PM   #64
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
EBC HH are good enough for me so far, I haven't tried the Vesrahs yet (I think, I've raced other peoples bikes that may have had them) but I also don't rely on braking to make my time. I can lift the rear with the EBCs so they're good on stopping power

I'll be trying the Vesrahs at some point this season

Old March 4th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #65
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Feel free to wait for the OP's opinion, but the most common response I've seen on this forum is that the Vesrahs are preferable, and both are probably overkill for most riders. Your personal tastes will be a bigger factor than the pads themselves in this case.
You'll hear a lot of people say EBC HH pads suck. But actually there are 4 different kinds of HH pads and some are pretty good. Plain or (sintered) are the worst. The good ones are extreme Pro (also called EPFA) which is considered a track day pad, the Grand Prix (GPFA) which are considered full race pads. Both are fade free brakes but they have different levels of friction. GPFA pads have super high friction. But on bikes with good brakes, a lot of people prefer the EPFA because they more easily modulated with lever pressure. On supersports, GPFA will lift the rear wheel with a single finger pull. Riders who trail brake a lot would end up sliding down the asphalt on their face if they grab slightly too much lever with GP pads. I use EPFA's on my 675R triumphs.

But the 300 ninja doesn't qualify as good brakes. They are super weak, and the more friction a pad has the better. (at least for people who can't upgrade the caliper to stay supersport legal) EPFA are available for the 300's crusty old caliper design but not the GP. (as far as I could find) EP pads aren't going fade on the 300, but they are going to require high lever pressure. If GP pads were available, I would have tried them. But the Vesrah pads have a nice high initial bike that works well with the ninja brakes. From what I hear SV650 riders like them for that reason too.

Ham fisted newbie street riders would probably do ok with base model HH or EPFA. Go fast guys aren't going to like those options on the 300.

Now the other day I saw a European seller who claimed to have GPFA for the 300. Might be worth a try if really available.

All IMHO and opinions may very per rider.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old March 4th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #66
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

I liked the EBC pads, but I like my Vesrah SRJL pads better.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 08:57 AM   #67
NinjaRick
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): Cbr1000 repsol and ninja 300

Ok cool thanks for the tips, and ya I got the HH sintered ones haha. I only have 2 days at the track so I won't be pushing any limits soon , still learning
NinjaRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 03:16 PM   #68
Zaph42
ninjette.org sage

Blackhawk Farms a couple days ago.

Old March 11th, 2018, 08:15 AM   #69
skypig
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Simon

Motorcycle(s): Several, inc Ninja in SS300 spec

Thanks for the link

Some great info on this thread.
In OZ, I believe we run similar rules to the World Supersport 300 class.
Engine mods limited to airfilter, exhaust system, PCV/tune,
Fork internals and shock are open.
Brakes can only change the pads, lines, and discs (same material).

I’ve got the single tube Ohlins shock. (Saw a modified TTX on the winners bike)
Forks are revalved. Seem ok. Especially at this stage. Strongly considering K-Tech cartridges.

I believe K-Tech at both ends is becoming the favored set up. Due to their results in the World Championship SS300 class.

I’m getting some, aggressive, Ferado race pads from Braktech. They have custom ordered them from Italy.

Everyone uses Pirelli Supercorsa SCs in the series that allows them. Limited to 2 sets per meeting. They are insane tires. (Insane grip, insanely short life, insanely expensive.) The Bridgestone guy claims Brigstone are releasing a competitive tire very soon R11? Which should be considerably cheaper. Some series only allow lower spec tires for cost reasons.

I need a lot more practice. (Some more skill and bravery wouldn’t go astray either)
skypig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2018, 08:06 PM   #70
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Very Nice Indeed!
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2019, 05:05 PM   #71
BretSV
ninjette.org member

Name: Bret