ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Forum Info > Forum Information

Old January 10th, 2019, 01:51 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Updated SSL ciphers, related settings

I saw that our domain was now down to a C on Qualys's SSL test, so I did some updating today. After some tweaking, and advice from sites like this one, I've gotten it back up to an A+. The downside is that it could potentially hinder very old browsers and/or non-standard browsers that can't deal with modern ciphers, but we'll see.

I'm getting more and more concerned about this site's security in general. One of my other forums was hacked not so long ago, and there is no easy method to protect this site without significantly upgrading and/or migrating it. I can get all of the content somewhere else, but the years of mods, tweaking, and fun additions that we've all grown accustomed to here will at least initially be quite a loss. It's one of those things that I know I have to do at some point, but I've been dragging my feet for so long because it will be painful on me and potentially on members. I did create the www.crf250l.org site using XenForo a few years ago as a bit of a preview of what I might do here, and it's worked reasonably well. That site I just updated a few years of backlog this past weekend, so it's reasonably up to date on the forum side, as well as the underlying OS side. But there are way fewer mods on that site, it's close to stock, and way fewer members to notice or complain as well.

Nothing brewing here in the very near future, absent something surprising catching me off guard security wise, but I know it has to come due at some point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2019, 04:37 PM   #2
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

Alex, whatever needs doing, needs doing & u fortunately one of the core things missing from web systems these days is compatibility for migration. Just like the old days everyone wants to sell you into their fleece you for life software option.

I’ve lost a few sites ove4 the years & eventually gave up, due to lack of time & future compatability, as in if I rebuild it, in a couple or 3 years I’ll have to do it all again So I just gave up. I like this site, as I hate the way so many forums have leapt on the FB garbage. I don’t & won’t do FB, so hope you manage to find a cunning solution to our upgrade requirements.

And thanks for all the hardwork you put in, it is appreciated.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2019, 11:00 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Appreciate it, thx! I did some digging this morning in Google Analytics, which tracks user info. Some surprising info in there - the #1 platform viewing this site right now (over last week) is Android. #2 is Windows, #3 iOS, #4 Mac OS. So mobile is #1, which I wouldn't have guessed. On the Windows side, 55% are on Win10, 30% are on 7, 7% on Vista, and it goes down from there. Only 1% are using XP at this point. I'm hoping that if someone is on a modern browser on those older OS's, they aren't blocked entirely by this cipher suite, but I don't have the machines here to test it. I don't believe older versions of IE would work, but hopefully later FF or Chrome installs could get them here if they needed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2019, 11:24 AM   #4
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Thanks for keeping an eye on the site security! I really appreciate the community here.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2019, 05:47 PM   #5
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
yes, i agree. this makes me feel safe. great job!