ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old March 12th, 2023, 11:48 AM   #1
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

NEW Bike !!! 2001 Honda XR650L I need a ladder!

Howdy folks ! I am elated ! super happy and all that stuff.
the guy just left and he's $1600.00 richer and I am the proud owner of his 2001 Honda XR650L !
Not only was it an extreamily good buy in my mind but the bike is in Real REAL good shape...
it has a larger than stock gas tank on it ( I think it's a 4 gallon tank)
it also has a Super trapp muffler on it .... 2 things I won't have to buy that I was planning on buying for it ! and he handed me some front shock springs and a rear coil spring that he has got for it, but never put them on it.
the battery is dead or disconnected I don't know which probably dead and needs to be replaced....and both rear turn signals have been broken and taped back on (Typical!) and the right rearview mirror is missing....
and last but not least the front tire is flat....
and it's probably been several years that it has been setting in his shop
Obviously I have some work to do to get it running I will probably have to pull the carb and clean it good..... it Does have the emission control stuff still on it.... which I will probably remove immediately No doubt I will need a new battery for it and I am thinking of one of those super light Lithium batteries for it to help keep the weight down.
he said the last time he had it running it was back firing when he let off the throttle... other than that it ran great.
when I stand next to the seat , the sitting area of the seat comes up to my belt on my waist ! 37" seat height is WAY WAY too tall !!!!
he said that the springs were supposed to lower the bike.... I can't say that I've ever heard of replacing the springs to lower the seat height before but I suppose that is possible....(grin)
it feels much lighter than the RX4 I had (it should be about 150lbs lighter)
but I know they have a high center of gravity the way they come from the factory all jacked up in the air like that !
but I am stoked ! if it stops raining long enough I'll run out and pull out the battery and slap it on the charger !
Yes it's Red..... it's the classic Red bush pig !
Bob.......

Old March 12th, 2023, 09:10 PM   #2
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Well, first order of business is to get the Title changed over, so I may do that tomorrow.... Not sure on that.
2nd order of business is definately a battery.... it doesn't look that old but there isn't even a spark of life in it at all.... I might try adding distilled water to it and then hit it with 40 amps to try and de sulfate the battery but the outcome of that is iffy at best... sense there is no kick starter on this bike I Need a good battery.... so I just as well grit my teeth and get a good battery for it and be done with it.
it definitely needs Bark busters !
I think I will drain all the gas out of it and throw it away... and replace it with fresh gasoline to start with.
I want to see what kind of front sprocket is on it sense these bikes have a tendency to eat up the output shaft. I may go with a 13 or 14 tooth as I want the front end light just because that is so much fun !
this bike can be geared for street or dirt fairly easily.... and sense
most of my riding is fairly slow gearing it down seems the most prudent
.... it will do 100mph if geared for it but I'm not going to do that on this bike
I think I am going for the lower speeds where I can get the front wheel up easily just by throttle. a 13 tooth on the front will do that with the stock 45 tooth in the rear... or so they say.
it's got 6700 miles on it or something like that and is strictly a stock bike
I am cautious about Adding alot of weight to the bike as that is what I usually do.... this big pig needs to be as light as possible, not heavier !
.... tall and heavy is a bad combination, I can make it shorter but it is real hard to lighten an already heavy machine ! so I don't want to add more !(we all know how well that will work HA!)

Right now the Big Red Bush Pig is sitting in the rain ! and that sux !
I've gott'a wait till the weather is better before I can play more with it
I'm not a duck and I can't stand the rain.... so it'll wait !
Bob........

Old March 13th, 2023, 02:16 PM   #3
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Old March 13th, 2023, 04:14 PM   #4
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL Working on it !

Bob.....

Old March 13th, 2023, 04:29 PM   #5
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

OK here is a few pics.... note the carb boot off the back of the carb...I just discovered that a bit ago.... and the battery is officially toast...it won't even light up the dash lights ! Phitttt !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XR650L 01.jpg (180.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg xr650l.02.jpg (129.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg xr650l.03.jpg (181.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg xr650l.04.jpg (150.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg XR650L 05.jpg (180.1 KB, 4 views)

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; March 14th, 2023 at 01:01 AM.
Bob KellyIII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 13th, 2023, 04:42 PM   #6
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

....Humm.... I went through each picture, loaded it turned it around 2 times saved it and edited my posting deleted the pictures and re-uploaded them..and theyre still on their side.... that worked last time....oh well
Bob........
Edit: I did nothing different this time and it worked..... go figure !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb boot XR650L02.jpg (86.8 KB, 1 views)

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; March 14th, 2023 at 01:08 AM.

Old March 13th, 2023, 05:11 PM   #7
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I took a picture of my hip next to the seat and the seat top where you set comes up to my POCKET KNIFE ! (it clips to my pocket!...on the top edge!)
so the seat height is just under my belt..... LOL that is insane !
I have got on it once and the only way I can touch the ground is with the seat on my right thy.... if my butt is on the seat I can only touch with my one leg on my tippy toes ! unbelievable ! I have to lower this thing 7" .....but I have a plan ! a store bought lowering kit ain't going to cut it.... I'll have to make one
.... I did that on my last XR650L that melted in the ranch fire....so I guess I can do that again ! but I am going to wait for better weather !!!
it's funny every one else rides these things without lowering them ! but Not me!
things I need for this Big red bush pig.....
hand guards...
bigger, wider foot pegs....
mirrors.... probably the break away type their ugly as hell but I will be dropping this thing alot I am sure !
Maybe a bright LED head light.
handle bar risers (the kind that pivot so I can make them clear the front fork tubes that will stick up a long way...(3~4"))
probably need a new front sprocket as it is more than likely stock and a thin one... and that is hard on the splines on the output shaft
and it is 15 T.... I want a 13T or 14T .... that will Kill my top end speed really bad but I want to make the front end come up by blipping the throttle !
this will be a long project I can tell already LOL
....I need to fix that front tire too....it's flat ! (the valve core leaked I think)
he said "it had air in it when I parked it !" LOL
some "gorilla snot" should fix it !
This will be my Play bike.... the Triumph and Ninja are too pirty to scratch up but this thing will take a beating !(probably alot more than I will ! HAHAHAHA
Bob......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stockseatheight01.jpg (114.3 KB, 1 views)

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; March 14th, 2023 at 01:06 AM.

Old March 14th, 2023, 01:19 AM   #8
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a bunch of stuff for the Bike...
I did buy a 2" lowering kit thinking I can extend it a bit
I did not get a front sprocket....
I got a extra CDI unit, just to have on hand
I did get bendable mirrors
hand guards.
a foam air filter
Handle bar risers
wide foot pegs in red.
an oil filter
and a NGK sparkplug
I spent a whopping $300 bucks ! not counting the battery already coming
I also had a front fork brace but I took it off.... I'll get it later so I can lower the fender. and stiffen up the front end.
I didn't get a aluminum crash pan because I didn't want to add weight to it
but considering how much I just spent I've already Added weight to it !

Bob......

Last futzed with by Bob KellyIII; March 14th, 2023 at 03:53 AM.

Old March 14th, 2023, 06:27 AM   #9
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Aluminum is lighter than steel; you're just "adding lightness"

Old March 14th, 2023, 08:32 AM   #10
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL that is a great way to justify the expense to my wife ! I'll try that ! HAHAHAHAHAHAH
it's STILL raining ! it's been raining for 4 days now lightly but it is still rain !
I guess I should'a bought that bike months ago so we would have had more rain back then ! HAHAHAHA
I want to go out there and do stuff like pull off the front sprocket cover and the front sprocket to check on the splines on the output shaft....
I want to drain the gas out of the tank but I think I will have to take the tank completely off to do it right as there is a bunch of junk beside the carb and I can't get any tools in there to get the line off the carb.... taking the line off at the gas petcock would get gas all over the place so I don't want to do that !
and I want to start making that thing lower as well.... see how much I can get with the pre load adjustment it is down quite a bit .
I want to do the brake fluid replacement on it as well.... the rear reservoir is low and I am wondering if I can just pump 95% out of the caliper and add some fresh stuff before it runs out completely ....maybe that would save me from having to blead the brake from completely dry ?
(I've never tried that before!) that might be the best way to replace brake fluid !?!?!???? I know you don't want to keep any old fluid in it but for the convenience it might be worth it. the front brakes are usually a fairly straight shot but not the rear. any air in the line is a bitch to get out and usually involves taking the caliper off and straightening out the bends in the line..... just to get the air out....
and I want to pull off the smog garbage on that bike number one reason is it's gott'a come off to get the carb out and also the added weight that you don't need..... I can make up block off plates for the cylinder that's not a big deal
and we don't have smog inspections here ....( but I will hang on to the stuff!)
I'm also thinking about adding an oil cooler to that thing more expense and added weight too and I probably don't need it at all especially if it's jetted to a light brown.... but it is air cooled and keeping the oil alive longer would be a good thing..... in my youth I've seen good quality oil cooked in one days riding those puppies get hot !!!! 4 stroke on dirt roads in the hot summer time is going to produce alot of heat !
( just go faster Right LOL!)
it's going to take a week for all my parts to get here... by then I want to have that thing running and low enough to at least touch with both tippy toes
! HAHAHA it may take till summer for me to flat foot that tall beast but I will flat foot it !!!!

there is no tach on that bike ! it's like what's the deal Honda !?!?!
so I am thinking about a Vapor dash..... hooking one of those up though is a nightmare, or so I've read !
no comments on my pictures ? Come on Drew say you at least seen them !
HAHAHAHAH yah I know it is nothing special but it's MINE !!!!!
later !
Bob.....

Old March 14th, 2023, 01:16 PM   #11
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

If I'm just flushing brake fluid, I use a syringe to remove the old from the reservoir. Then, when I fill it up with fresh, I bleed like normal and know right away when I have all the old fluid out of the system.
The pictures look good, I no longer have to turn my phone
Oh, and that previous owner sure liked stickers

Old March 14th, 2023, 09:42 PM   #12
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

oh yah I bought a turkey baster just for that a few years back...all i have to do is find it ! ....
...the Previous Owner was a school teacher and taught right here in Weed till he retired and moved about an hour away up the road... he looked to be about my age and height and a bit lighter but not by much.
Here is a Picture of flustration ! I go to bed and wake up to this ! AURGH !!!!

Bob.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snow on my new Bike 01.jpg (62.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Snow on my New Bike02.jpg (62.5 KB, 0 views)

Old March 15th, 2023, 05:45 AM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I don't think I've ever seen a clothes tree filled with snow like that before.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2023, 05:56 AM   #14
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Can't say I ever noticed it so full before... it usually sheds the snow fairly well.
Evidently it was light and fluffy when it came down..... almost 4,000ft ASL
makes a big difference !
I thought all that snow was just RUDE !
no parts yet but geez ! I can't even walk out and admire it !
grumble , grumble ! stupid weather anyway !
Bob.......

Old March 15th, 2023, 07:37 PM   #15
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Congrats on your "new" bike!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2023, 11:31 PM   #16
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Thanks Kerry !
My new battery I got from walmart came today.... it's kind'a weird ! it's an igel
battery (supposed to be "better"!) but between the terminals there is a small LCD screen with a button.... you poke the button and it tells you the voltage of the battery ! I thought wow that's cool .... however it may or may not be so cool after reading the instructions. there are 3 modes to it, Normal,power saving,and power off modes.... and it's automatic
I am fairly certain that all this is just concerned with the little LCD screen
and NOT the main battery that it is connected to but they imply the Modes to the battery as a Whole.... which would be a bitch if that is the case.
....I've never seen a battery like this before and I like the idea of "just poke the button to see the voltage" that is super cool ! but if it automatically turns off the battery completely after a certain time laps.... that will render the battery useless to me ! so I am concerned ! but I THINK it just means the voltage monitor will automatically turn off is all... so that is no big deal at all.
Strange.... battery with a voltage monitor built right in it NOW !
it's name is ChromeSpro... i got it through walmart at a very reasonable price for the XR650L.... (a 9-BS battery case/size)
I mainly got it because it was cheap but it is a gel battery so there is no adding water to it.... you use it till it dies I guess ! LOL
there's still 4" of snow on the ground so I haven't put the battery in the bike yet to see if it will start.
I may take the wife down to see her Mother tomorrow. so if I do I'll be gone all day and won't get to it then either....
I am really excited about this bike ! it should be a bunch of fun.... as long as I can get it low enough to actually ride the thing ! HAHAHA !

Bob......

Old March 16th, 2023, 09:24 AM   #17
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

I like the new smart batteries. They've proven to be very reliable for me so far. Mine even have a built-in jump pack so you can jump the battery off itself... sounds weird, but it actually works. Technology is something: these things take up way less space and mass than the old lead ones.

Old March 16th, 2023, 10:17 AM   #18
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

A Jump feature ? that's really weird !
I planned on getting a lithium battery and doing a battery eliminator/move to the air box mod to lighten up the bike more but I'm thinking that making it all that much lighter isn't going to be necessary.... any bike can always benefit from weight reduction...don't get me wrong, but this bike is under the stock weight already by a few pounds I think and I'm adding about enough to bring it back to stock weight of about 325 lbs (DRY) just moving it around it is so much easier than the RX4 was it's not even funny but it's so High it's ungainly !
I'll take it down 2" first ... but I don't think that will be anywhere near enough for my short butt ! it needs to be at the Ninja's seat height ! LOL
in riding condition it's going to push 400lbs of that I am sure but the RX4 in riding condition was pushing 525 to 559lbs !
so this bike is 150lbs lighter from the get go and that should make a world of difference to me out riding !

that new battery also has a time in use number on that LCD screen which is also cool so when 3 or 4 years down the road I can poke the button and read just how many hours are actually on it ! personally I will be surprised if it lasts 2 years...(it's a walmart battery and they are not known in my book for good motorcycle batteries!)
it should at least do that but after that I want to get a super light battery ...this thing weighs 6 lbs. by itself !!!!
by then I'll probably need new sprockets and chain....
I did order 2 new primary sprockets last night...wider ones... a 13T and a 14T ..... that will gear down the Bush hog really far but should mean I can wheelie at the twist of the throttle and that is what I want....
I haven't done a wheel stand turn in years but I used to do it quite often to turn around on single track trails ! doing that with a 300lb bike will no doubt be a challenge ! HAHAHAH
it got super cold last night in the teens here ! but it is slowly warming up
I think we will be lucky to see 50 degrees today seeing how cold it was last night a 50 degree span in tempiture is rare but it seems to happen here alot
maybe I can get the battery in today and see if it will start.... I need to change out the gas first though I can't forget that the gas is 2 years old !
.... it's got about 2 gallons in it and I was wondering if I just filled the 4 gallon tank would that be enough good gas to make it run or not....
I don't know about that... I've always just dumped old gas as being useless
but I could very easily just put in More gas and dilute the old stuff and be good to go.... but if not I would waste more gas....
has anyone ever done that and got away with it ?
I did on a tractor one time... it ran real poorly for a month or so till I filled the tank again ( I thought something else was wrong with it !) I put in new gas and it started running alot better.....
...... I think that tells me just dump the old stuff ! LOL

I need to get the Ninja running and back together and out of the shop so I don't have to work in the COLD ! it's still cold in the shop but not near as cold as outside !!!!

Bob.....

!

Old March 16th, 2023, 04:54 PM   #19
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok..... it RUNS ! won't take throttle or run without the choke on but it did idle for a few seconds then wouldn't start again it would puff miss a few puff's and puff again type thing over and over without catching.... so.... no doubt about it now the carb has to come off !
it ran fairly good so I think the gas is OK strangely enough...maybe he put stablizer in the tank I dunno...
so I'll see what I can do about taking the carb off and clean the sucker !
this is one for the ultrasonic cleaner I am sure....
I read where a guy tried all kinds of cleaner solutions but wound up using straight gasoline because it cleans the best so I might try that.
you KNOW that won't hurt the parts ! HAHAHAH
but at least it ran..... for a few minutes anyway so I am sure I am going to find all kinds of stuff in that bowl !
( the petcock was left on for 2 years that I know of....)
I did run into a really ODD problem.... I tried to air up my front tire but it would not take any air....no matter what I did.... I pulled the valve core and it looked great put the nozzle on the valve core and pushed real hard and that should have filled it in an instant.... it didn't put any air in the tire at all
.... I'll see if I can poke a wire in the valve core and get through to the tube area and then try giving it air !
...that's really bazaar !
Bob.....

Old March 18th, 2023, 05:36 AM   #20
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok I asked the previous owner if he had put any stablizer in the gas
and he said "NO" so that was my clue.... I took off the gas tank and went and dumped it on the brush pile ! then I put the carb boot on the back of the carb
and I was so curious to see if it would run just because of the gas I put the gas tank back on and tried starting it although it would not run without the choke being on it did run and take throttle and I ran it for about 5 minutes !
so it got a good run. Obviously the carb has to come off and be cleaned
as it was very hard to start but once going that is a monster and a half !
it seems like twice the XR650L I had before alot more powerful and quicker
it shakes the ground and is fairly loud when running ! LOL that is going to be a fun bike to ride I have no doubt about that !
...sense I had the seat off I de-snorkeled it while I was there.
about 80% of all my ordered parts came in and My computer desk is covered in parts ! LOL However another storm is due in late today and tomorrow
so I don't want to tear into the bike too far with bad weather on the way.
I put on the 2024 license's sticker on it and taped up the turn signal a bit better. so I can take it out for a test ride but I can't do that till the tube gets here next week. and get that front tire to hold air.
both tires are fairly worn they both need replaced
I also think I will take a long bread knife to the seat foam and remove about 3" of the 4" of that thick seat that should help lower it a bit more...
Sense the tarp I had for the wood pellets didn't last more than a year and got alot of my wood pellets wet I am running out of good wood pellets I probably have 30 bags of half wet wood pellets most of the bags in the house now are about 25% sawdust and that is not good at all... each bag will have to be sifted through to get the good ones out to burn ! but I am hoping we can make it to spring.... the trees in the valley are already in bloom so I know spring is on it's way..... it's just slow !
... to my amazement I saw that Shasta Lake was almost full ! as we went down to visit grandma yesterday....it's about 75~100 foot from the top.!!!!
Man I am ready for SUMMER !!!!
Bob.....

Old March 18th, 2023, 05:56 AM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
,,,Shasta Lake was almost full ! as we went down to visit grandma yesterday....it's about 75~100 foot from the top.
According to http://www.shastalake.com/shastalake/ as of yesterday:
Distance from capacity:
46.68 feet

Old March 20th, 2023, 08:22 PM   #22
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok today I made some progress !
I pulled the carb and found the pilot jet completely clogged....
everything else in the carb looked very good so I spreyed it good with carb cleaner followed by WD-40 and put it back together....
I then started putting the carb back in the bike and started having problems
figuring out which vacuum line goes where...so I came inside and looked it up
but still wasn't sure my manual seams to be a bit different than the bike.
so I want to take the smog crap off the bike anyway so I said F#@& IT and just ripped it all off of there ! LOL.... so I am doing the DE-Smog modification
that I've watched about a dozen times on youtube....
I left the exhaust port tubes connected for the moment as I was going to make some plates to cover them but I found them for $6.00 so I thought I can't make them for that....so I bought them and their on the way already.
I put on the foot pegs the other day in the drizzling rain, and today I put on the hand guards. although I am not real happy with them as they don't tighten up in side the handle bars ! I guess I'll fix them later !
My front tire innertube got here today so tomorrow will likely be replacing the innertube in the front wheel..... and the lowering kit.....( I'll give it a try although I don't hold out much hope for it as it's only a 2" drop and I need a 4" drop but we'll see how that goes .
after I did all that I fired it up and it ran and idled great it's a bit slow on acceleration so I expect I have a vacuum line that's not plugged in or something like that....
the Idle air screw is shirred off flush with the top of the carb face .... it's going to be a bitch to get out.... so I went ahead and bought a longer one with a thumb screw thing on the end so I can turn it with my fingers to replace it with... I'll have to pull the carb off again to get it off but I wanted to hear it run ....and I wasn't disappointed it ran great !
the very slight sogg upon throttle up is likely due to the air screw being set too lean.... there is supposed to be a big tab on the end of the screw but it is broken off....so now it can't be adjusted at all.....
here's 2 pics that I took today of it !Sigh.... I remembered to hold the camara sideways this time but now their upside down.... I can't win !
in the first picture you can still see the exhaust pipes coming up by the cylinder that went to the smog pump....
when it is running each tube makes a puff of exhaust each time on exhaust stroke ... kind'a funny it's not loud enough to hear like this but if I blip the throttle I get smoke coming up from the left side front of the bike !
to me the bike looks alot cleaner without all that smog crap on it..... plus now I have an area for a oil cooler !
and I thought of it afterword ...I should'a put on a in line gas filter while I had it all apart !

Bob.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XR650L almost ready01.jpg (179.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg XR650L almost ready02.jpg (168.9 KB, 2 views)

Old March 21st, 2023, 02:53 PM   #23
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL ! I put on a 2" lowering link.... and I can touch the ground with the balls of my feet..... that's it ! it sux to be SHORT !..... but I may leave it like that I dunno yet.
I also put the new tube in the front tire so I can actually ride it now....but sense the exhaust block-off plates haven't arrived here yet I will probably wait a while
as I dislike the idea of sucking cold air onto a hot valve...that is asking for trouble ! soon as I get them on there I'll take it for a spin.... that front tire is really thin....bald more like and i need to replace both tires really soon
I haven't lowered the front forks yet to match the lowering of the rear yet ...simply because when I do I have to cut down the side stand as it is almost perfectly vertical right now on the side stand...that will definitely push it over when I do that.
and I discovered my turn signals don't work.... dunno what's up with that yet. probably the relay as usual !
And I discovered that the rear brake caliper is not in it's slot like it should be
and I forgot about it and buttoned it all down again....
the Triumphs brake was like that.... and this one too it's like is every bike owner incompetent or what ? something as important as the rear brake
should be inspected every once in a while at least !!!! you know it's been like that for Decades..... and that's a bad thing... if you hit the rear brake hard enough it can rotate the caliper bracket and rip out the brake line...
I don't think it would go that far before hitting the caliper against the swing arm but it will make a nasty Clank when it does it !
.... I know because when I first got the Triumph I took it for a quick ride and when I hit the rear brake there was this loud clunk and the bike started tracking a bit sideways.... I went back home real quickly !
.... I had alot to do on that bike to make it road worthy again !
....I am liking the working on the XR650L because of the simplicity and ROOM to work on it.... but I am finding some really silly things Honda has done .... like the bolts that hold on the lower link have to be put in in opposite directions because you can't get to them if you don't !
Bob.......

Old March 21st, 2023, 03:09 PM   #24
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

I bet once you drop the front 2" you'll be able to do better than just get the balls of your feet down, and that's not too drastic of a drop so as to mess up the bike. It sounds like you'll get it to fit. I've heard of people shaving the seat foam down, and I would wager there is a LOT of foam under that red vinyl...

Old March 21st, 2023, 06:32 PM   #25
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yes ! indeed, the seat is in the plan !
although in the past dropping the front after lowering the back usually only amounts to a small amount but anything on this tall monster is worth doing ! HAHAHAHAH
I went out there and put the bike on the Harbor freight hydraulic bike stand
and raised it up again and decided to try and get that rear disk caliper base in the slot where it should be.... and I discovered why it wasn't in the slot like it should have been.... there was a dowel pin in the aluminum bracket that stuck out almost 1/4" and it was on the upper portion of the bracket where if the slot was inguaged like it was designed to be the dowel pin hit the swing-arm and would not alow a flush fit like it should be..... so I got it back far enough so I could work on it and I tried to get it out but no luck...so I got the recipoicating saw and cut that pin off flush then filed the little ruff spots off and then it went back on fine.... I have to wonder how,when why and where that dowel pin got there..... as it's not stock ! maybe he didn't like the hassle of trying to line it up when putting the tire back on who knows! because they are a P.I.T.A. at times
....I took off the chain off the rear sprocket so I could easily change the front sprocket.... I bought a 13T and a 14T for it ...that I want to try !
when I went out there I noticed the wind had picked up and it was at least 10 degrees colder than it had been earlier...... in the 30 minutes I was out there the temp had to have dropped by another 20 degrees ! it got real cold real fast.... so I called it good enough and ran for the house !

It's not spring here yet I don't care what the calendrer says ! LOL
when I moved the bike I decided to start it and use the motor to move it...
which it did very easily so I know 1st works ! HAHAHAH
I bet we get snow tonight ! I am hoping we won't because I want to put the 13T sprocket on the bike and re adjust the chain and then lube it....
I don't think that thing has ever been near a can of oil.... everything is as dry as can be !
and by the way ....I turned on the gas, pulled the choke lever and hit the starter button and it was running before the first revolution ! that's how it SHOULD start..... so far it hasn't inspired confidence, usually I gott'a beg it to start and time the let off of the starter button to get it to run.... but not this last time.... I'm hoping she'll start starting like that !
..... maybe I need to charge that battery.... I never have LOL
Bob......

Old March 22nd, 2023, 11:43 AM   #26
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, it didn't snow last night ! and I am very happy about that !
I just came back inside to warm up a bit after I pulled off the primary sprocket to check it out and check the splines...their in great shape by the way... so that is a worry that is gone now....
I put on the 13Tooth sprocket and have the chain tensioners all the way to the max to get it tight enough to work that way and it's just right !
about the only thing left is the block off plates that won't be here for another week
and the cutting down of the side stand.....so I'm down to 2 things ! that's progress !
when the fuel air screw comes in I'll pull the carb and do a real good cleaning and replace the broke off airscrew and probably do the dave's mod on the carb slide for quicker throttle responce.....
I noticed when I was into it the first time that the jets (main and pilot) were the stock jets.... that is a good thing... but according to everyone on youtube they are jetted very lean....which is not good for an air cooled engine.... I will more than likely ream out the main jet slightly to get my next cleaner size through the jet and leave it at that and then do a plug color check.... as it sits, I expect the plug to be white or grey (too lean)
we have a heavy cloud layer about 1000' above us right now but it's just passing slowly over head looking threatening !
Mom is making corned beef and cabbage for dinner tonight ! I can't wait !
I think today is a good day to relax and take it easy !
Bob.....

Old March 23rd, 2023, 02:46 PM   #27
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I took a long kitchen knife to the seat and started cutting away at it....
no real plan just halfing the foam thickness that was on it....and rounding the corners more....
as I'm trying to staple the cover back on (which is a bitch !) it started snowing
and I have the bike all apart ! so I did a quick staple job and went back outside and buttoned it all back up.... I took the battery out and put it on the charger
..... it stopped snowing in about 15 minutes so I didn't need to quit LOL.
I haven't got on it to see how much that helps yet but I am sure it will help some !.
Bob......

Old March 26th, 2023, 04:20 PM   #28
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I just took the XR650L for a quick run to see how she's running....
man acceleration is really hard ! and even with the 13 tooth sprocket on the front I will have no problem cruising at 60 mph....
it does feel a little lean, the odd back fire when decelerating a long time.
oddly enough with just the 2" drop from the lower link change and cutting the seat down
I can actually flat foot it ....barely but I can.
I cut the side stand down the other day and re welded a larger foot on the end of it and
I really wish I had cut it down more now it sets about what it did stock right now so when I lower the front I will probably have to cut down the side stand more.
I find this bike really surprising as my last XR650L was not this powerful this thing has all kinds of power.... I hit the throttle just right and got the front wheel off the ground
on my first ride.... but I had to hit it just right....
it was quite cold on the ride so I cut it short to just up the block around the corner and up the road a bit and then back home....
.... the clutch seems to be fairly tight I may adjust that a bit more, both brakes work good... when I stop at a stop sign I am using the ball of my right foot to touch the ground.... so it's fairly tall for me still....
seems to handle real good being so light I really like that ! and the thump thump thump of that big cylinder is a joy to feel ! I think I found the bike I want to ride most of the time ! it won't get me any where fast but it will get there , I have the Triumph and Ninja if I want to go fast !
this is one Cool machine !
Bob.......

Old March 27th, 2023, 03:22 PM   #29
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

You don't need a ladder. I recall in France in the early 80's when Dakar ravers were a thing, seeing French midgets (shorter than me anyways) pop key in ignition, walk round to right side, jump on a kick start, get bike running. Walk to left side, climb on the foot-peg like a stirrup mount the horse, select 1st gear & gas it away whilst folding the side stand. Was hilarious & entertaining all at the same time. No idea what they did at traffic lights �� I did see a short arse on a Laverda Jota once get caught by lights between cars & he just put his boot on the nearest car ! Not so funny for the car driver as the dude had hobnailed boots on!
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 27th, 2023, 04:31 PM   #30
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah ! I saw a Clip of "SHORT RIDERS" on youtube where this Midget simply hopped off his Crotch rocket and held the handle bars over his head till the light changed then he started moving the bike and hopped back on and took off
Needless to say that is not normal and not very safe, but necessity is the mother of invention, if you want it bad enough you will figure out a way !.
However none of this would be a problem if the darn manufacturers would just make the bikes a reasonable height off the ground... but instead over the past decade they have increased the height slowly to where the common seat height is 34" or more.... I can remember in my Youth sitting on brand new bikes in the show room that in stock form I could flat foot with my knees bent...
but there isn't one I can do that on now... the closest would be a big harley low rider..... but I'm not going to pay $50k for a motorcycle I don't care how fancy it is... it's just a bike not a house !...
if they put as much technology into making a personal flying machine they would have achieved it years ago.... but that's how it goes I guess !
we work with what we have !
LOL
Bob.........

Old March 27th, 2023, 07:21 PM   #31
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

So I went ahead and tore into it to get the turn signals working....
I pulled the head light fairing off and got to the winker-relay and pulled it off and wiped the blades with my fingers and it looked fine so I put it back on and tried the turn signals and they started working ! so that was a easy fix... just a bad connection ! so I just hit the switch with WD40 and that made a big difference on how the switch moved.... i didn't realize it was so gummed up!
but now after squirting the switches good everything seems to be working better! ...
I don't think that guy lubricated ANYTHING on that bike ! EVER !

later !
Bob.......

Old March 28th, 2023, 10:07 AM   #32
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

AURGH! More snow ! and strong wind so I have a blizzard here ! and I looked out the window to see that the Triumphs cover has ripped open and the ass of the bike is sticking out and covered in snow..... that's just wrong !
and of course the XR650L is sitting out there with no cover on it ! ....Sigh !
I'm ready for summer !
Bob.....

Old March 29th, 2023, 07:31 PM   #33
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

it stopped snowing long enough for me to run and buy a few bags of pellets today....
so I took the opportunity to go out and start the XR650L
.....this thing has a very peculiar way of starting.... it's weird.... it goes pop turns through and pop , turns through and will do that forever but if you let up just after the pop it will immediately pick it up and be running.... it's weird, like perhaps the starter is sucking so much juice that it won't run with the starter pressed ! if you let off the starter it comes to life like it should have been doing.
.... it's very strange ! I've never had a bike start like that every time before
but that is the only way this thing starts ! the previous owner said the last few times he ran it he had to bump start it down his driveway down hill...
because the battery was dead.... maybe I should double check and make sure it is charging the battery real good eh?
the battery that was in it was completely stone dead.... I suppose that could have hurt the charging system in it..... I better check it !
but I fired it up and ran it for about 3 minutes and then turned off the gas and ran it till it was starving for fuel and I turned it off....

....my Balakla lava face mask finally got here ...i thought I had one but I guess I didn't order one as I could not find it.... it now resides in the riding jacket pocket of my cold riding gear.... I needed it on my last ride! i thought I was going to get frost bite on my Adom's apple ! LOL
I might go for a ride up Stewart's Springs road in the next day or so to see how far I can get before the snow covers the road (they don't plow it at all)
depends on if it stops snowing long enough to do that or not !
that sure is a neat bike ! I want to get out in the dirt and play with it !
Bob.......

Old March 29th, 2023, 07:43 PM   #34
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob KellyIII View Post
it's weird, like perhaps the starter is sucking so much juice that it won't run with the starter pressed ! if you let off the starter it comes to life like it should have been doing.
That's typical for a marginal battery. I've had it happen many times. As soon as I let up on the start switch the engine starts. Of course as you said, something drawing a lot of current while trying to start could do it too, but that's less likely. Maybe too much resistance in the circuit be the problem.

Old March 30th, 2023, 01:58 AM   #35
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yah ! my thoughts too...like the starter is working so hard at turning it over there's no voltage to fire the plug....
so either the starter is drawing too much power OR the automatic decompression thingy on the cam isn't working..... and I bet it's the latter !
it's a brand spanking new battery not 2 weeks old so I am assuming it is fine
however i do not know the condition of the starter or if the decompression actuator is working or not..... I don't think it is as I heard it struggle real hard to turn it over when the battery was drained down to 10 volts just before I charged it for 3 days at 2 amps
from what I know it shouldn't be hard to turn over EVER when starting at slow speeds the centrifugal action kicks in and the cam depresses one exhaust valve
..... so it shouldn't ever struggle turning it through....
of course it could be just a gummed up starter that is real hard to turn too...
i've seen starter motors that would barely turn ...clean them up and they spin super fast !..... but I have a feeling that is not the case here....
i'm thinking decompression mechanism.
but the drain on the battery if the starter was all gummed up or rubbing the armature, would explain draining the brand new battery.... and that starter has no doubt been used millions of times because there is no Kick starter on it...... I may well change that in the future if I can rummage up the parts !
it takes a side plate from a XR650R the kick starter shaft and drilling a hole for a Pin and the driven gear.... I think ! about $200 bucks on ebay if you can find them or $800.00 new lol.
anyway..... maybe some tinkering will make it start better....
Bob.......

Old March 30th, 2023, 02:08 AM   #36
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

it just dawned on me.... how in the heck would you check compression on an engine that has an automatic decompression system on it ?????????
there's gott'a be a way.... maybe they stick a screwdriver through the tappet cover hole and hold up on the cam to keep it from actuating ?
I think I need a Real BOOK on this monster ! HAHAHAHA
Bob......

Old March 30th, 2023, 06:53 PM   #37
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok I adjusted the forks in the tripple trees and lowered the front 1.5"
I also got the seat back together better it looks a bit worse for the ware but it is functional, and that's what counts ! !
i tightened it all down and then took it off the HF stand and set on it....
OBVIOUSLY i will have to shorten the side stand again by about 2" more as it is way to vertical to trust standing on it's own....
I got on it and found I could flat foot both feet in my slippers ( that I got wet in the snow Augh!) but WOooo HOOO ! I can flat foot it now !
that really surprised me ... it still fills tall to me but that is because I'm SHORT !
it settles quite a bit when I get on it... about 2" I'm guessing but that just means I'll have a soft ride ! HAHAHAH I have no idea if I will have to tighten up the rear in order to keep it from bottoming out yet or not... but I doubt it
COME ON SUMMER DAMMIT !!!!! I'm ready !!!!!
Bob........

Old March 31st, 2023, 06:26 PM   #38
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well, today I got in the Fuel air screw I have been waiting for for the XR650L
so I need to take the carb back off and put it in there so I can adjust it properly for this altitude ( I am sure that has never been done on it!)
I also cut the side stand down another 2".... that is 4" total off the side stand ! that is alot !
.... and that actually seems to be just about right ..it leans enough to be stable with the high winds we get and it's not so angled that it is hard to climb abord ! LOL
... it fired up easily today (50 deg. outside) but actually didn't run the greatest because I forgot to turn on the gas and I always try to run the carb empty before I turn it off....(old habbits die hard) once I remembered to "turn on the gas dummie" it ran great
the Rack for the rear and the side protectors should be here next week I hope april 7th anyway.... ...
and then I buttoned it all back up put my tools away and went into the house to get a cup of coffee and the Kuruge coffee maker thing refused to work.... it's complaining about needing to be de-scailed so I had to resort to grinding some beans and making a 12 cup pot the old way.... I tell ya life is ROUGH ! HAHAHAHA
that super fast Keurig coffee maker is so fast it spoils you quickly !
next to do on the XR is pull the carb and do the Daves mod on it that is remove the slide and drill 2 holes out in the slide to 5/32" so the throttle reacts faster and then re jet it with a bigger jet....( if it needs it I will just ream out the mainjet a tiny bit and call it good.)....while I have the carb off I will get the old screw out that is sheared off or simply capped off so you can't mess with it, and put in the thumb/finger turnable one
that just arrived.... ...
once that is done the Rack should arrive and I can put that on that should help protect the plastics on the side as well .... when I am doing that I will try to tighten up the battery box as it is kind'a flopy for some reason
and yes with my boots on I can flat foot that tall beast easy now... so the height of the bike is no longer a problem ! that battle has been won !!!!! WOOO HOOO !
Now I get to practice my wheel-stand turns for single track riding ! I used to do that easy ages ago when I was younger, but I'm not as young as I used to be, and Horsing around a 350lb. bike may well take some practice !
I really love the way that thumper feels it's got more power than I will ever need I hope ! HAHAHAHA
now if I can make it have a light front end I will be all set !
Bob........

Old April 3rd, 2023, 07:16 PM   #39
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

ok I did see the SUN once today.... but we have a slight chance of snow tonight but mostly sunny tomorrow ! so I went out and took out the carb and put it in the shop on the bench.... I think I will drill out the slide with a 5/32" drill bit
(both holes but not the center one!) which is supposed to make the throttle responce better as this CV carb is fairly slow on reaction time. it didn't feel all that bad when I rode it but anything to perk it up would help.
I mainly took off the carb to repair the fuel air screw.... I don't know if that is a cap covering the hole or if the original screw is snapped off or what is going on there but I am about to find out I bought a longer finger adjustable one
to replace it with ...
I'll pull the sparkplug before I tear into the carb just to see what the burn is like.... I haven't pulled it out yet as it's like the Ninja and you have to take the gas tank off to get to the sparkplug !
Yah ! I don't know why there are so many stickers on this bike but they have been on there for years ...their a bitch to get off !
Bob

Old April 6th, 2023, 03:01 AM   #40
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok... I pulled the XR650L apart the other day and got the seat and gas tank off of it as well as the 2 plastic side panels so almost everything is accessible
the Rack I ordered for it came the other day and at first I thought it was going to be way too small ...but I just went out and held it up to it and looked at it and it looks like it will be absoultly perfect ! I got the one that has seperate side protection bars for the rear.... as I do like crash protection !
so that will be good for the rear.... the front I haven't seen anything in the way of crash bars for the front yet...
When I took the carb off I went ahead and drilled out the 2 holes in the slide to 5/32" as per the Dave's Mod instructions but that is all I have done as far as the Dave's Mod goes I did put a washer under the jet needle and was getting ready to put the carb back on and thought better of it, took it back apart and took out the washer and then re assembled it....Because I remember many times experimenting with changing the clip positions on several bikes in the past and it never improved how the bike ran in fact it almost always introduced a sogg on acceleration..... I did pull the spark plug to check the color and it was fairly sooty from all the starts and stops I have done to it , but under the soot it looked fairly lean so I reamed out the main jet with a torch tip cleaner... but I did not go real far, I just hope I didn't go too far !.... we'll see what it runs like when I put the carb back on.
.....the reason I took the carb back off was to replace the fuel/Air screw that I could not adjust.... I put in a CNC machined thumb screw that I can adjust without tools..... set it at 2 1/4 turns out and I will have to adjust it again once it runs.
I've not delt with the loose battery box yet, I will probably get that when I put on the rack. all in all things are looking pirty good on it.
I can hardly wait for warmer weather !

Bob.....