ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 30th, 2023, 11:40 AM   #1
sorcism
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Cyrus

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R and 2007 Suzuki GZ250

2012 doesn't stay running with fuel valve set to on

I recently bought a used 2012 ninja 250r and have been learning how to do my own maintenance/repairs. I took apart the fairings to get familiar with the insides of the bike and saw that the fuel valve has been set to PRIME the whole time i was riding it, i set the valve to ON and the bike no longer stays idling for longer than a few minutes and wont turn over after it shuts off unless i set the valve to PRIME again. Any ideas what it might be and what i can do to fix it?
sorcism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2023, 12:34 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
It's a vacuum operated petcock, so for it to work in the "ON" position, it has to have the vacuum hose attached to its port and to the correct port on the carburetor, and the vacuum diaphragm and valve need to be operating properly.

Don't park it with the petcock set to "Prime" or you risk filling the crankcase with gasoline if a float valve decides to not seal completely.

Welcome to the board, Cyrus! (you may want to make the location in your profile a little less specific)
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2023, 12:49 PM   #3
sorcism
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
It's a vacuum operated petcock, so for it to work in the "ON" position, it has to have the vacuum hose attached to its port and to the correct port on the carburetor, and the vacuum diaphragm and valve need to be operating properly.

Don't park it with the petcock set to "Prime" or you risk filling the crankcase with gasoline if a float valve decides to not seal completely.

Welcome to the board, Cyrus! (you may want to make the location in your profile a little less specific)
LOL dont know why that was set as my location but thank you for that.
Also, since i got the bike used almost a month ago and has been under daily operation (riding and parked) with the petcock set to prime, any idea if that did some dmg that i would have to repair? It doesn't wanna start or stay running with the petcock set to the normal "on" position

Old May 30th, 2023, 01:04 PM   #4
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Welcome Cyrus

The owner turned to prime to allow flow, as you've proven it doesn't flow on ON position. No doubt a blockage or a diaphragm valve situation. A new petcock prices out at $117

51023-0032 TAP-ASSY,FUEL
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2023, 01:07 PM   #5
sorcism
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
Welcome Cyrus

The owner turned to prime to allow flow, as you've proven it doesn't flow on ON position. No doubt a blockage or a diaphragm valve situation. A new petcock prices out at $117

51023-0032 TAP-ASSY,FUEL
will i be doing any dmg to other components if i keep using the bike with the petcock set to prime while i wait for the new part, It's my only means of transportation atm

Old May 30th, 2023, 01:18 PM   #6
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
dunno, though it is possible. Check for fuel in oil (noticible stink) and/or a high oil level in the window.

PS I can do a full refurb/rebuild at half the list price. New parts using a special soft oring on the diaphragm. I have the required kit and oring here.

Old May 30th, 2023, 01:38 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Use this hose-routing configuration:

It's from pre-gen bikes and better than '08-12 new-gen models because it gives petcock its own dedicated vacuum-line not shared with any other devices. You may have insufficient vacuum to keep petcock open due to leaks or cracks in vacuum hoses & fittings. Give that a try 1st.

Then if still not working, send in to ducatiman for repairs/rebuild. Tonne of people have sent him carbs & petcocks for rebuilds and parts come back factory-fresh clean and bikes runs perfectly like brand-new off showroom floor!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2023, 01:48 PM   #8
sorcism
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Use this hose-routing configuration:

It's from pre-gen bikes and better than '08-12 new-gen models because it gives petcock its own dedicated vacuum-line not shared with any other devices. You may have insufficient vacuum to keep petcock open due to leaks or cracks in vacuum hoses & fittings. Give that a try 1st.

Then if still not working, send in to ducatiman for repairs/rebuild. Tonne of people have sent him carbs & petcocks for rebuilds and parts come back factory-fresh clean and bikes runs perfectly like brand-new off showroom floor!
I'm a noob when it comes to mechanic work but i can follow instructions and catch on quick, would this be a relatively easy job or should i dedicate a good chunk of time for this also how likely am i to **** it up more than it already is

Old May 30th, 2023, 09:11 PM   #9
sorcism
ninjette.org newbie

Update: some more information, I took the carb out and looking at the hoses they seem to be in good condition from what i could tell also i can get the engine to turn over with the petcock set to "ON" by giving it a little bit of throttle but it bogs while idling.

Old May 31st, 2023, 06:00 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
You can test petcock flow by taking the rubber fuel hose off the carb and putting the end in a container. Then suck on the vacuum port of the petcock and see if fuel flows freely. If the petcock is working properly, you won't have to suck very hard to get full flow.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2023, 07:36 PM   #11
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I believe the reason Danno mentioned the different hose routing is because the way they have the hoses stock there is very little vacuum going to the petcock...and some times they just stop working and you have to use the PRI position for it to get fuel.
making the change Danno showed in the photo cures that problem. the petcock then gets solid vacuum from the engine and the petcock should indeed work alot better !
.... I have yet to do that to my 250R but am planning on doing just that ...these vacuum operated petcocks are a pain in the butt , however they do provide a bit of security... if you crash and the bike lays on it's side for an hour while your knocked out the gas will not run out of the carb overflow and be lost because the engine will eventually die and no vacuum and the gas line is turned off to the carbs.
it's a nice feature to have but the way the factory did it doesn't provide enough vacuum ...making the hose routing changes is a must in my book... but you have to buy some more vacuum line.... and I haven't done that yet because I do not know what size to get !....
does anyone know what size is needed ? autozone has about 6 sizes !
Bob......

Old June 25th, 2023, 05:47 AM   #12
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
try 3/16" ID

Old June 25th, 2023, 06:15 AM   #13
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ahhhh !
THANK YOU SIR !!!!!
I'll do that !
Bob......