ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old September 29th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #41
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

I think I'm having this problem right now on my 2009, with 13,000 miles on it. 100% STOCK!

But, I took off the carbs and took out both Pilot jets and both Main jets. ALL Jets are clean and i can see through the holes plain as day when held up in the sunlight outside!
I kinda blew out the carbs, I wasnt sure where to blow in/out with the air compressor, so i dunno if i got rid of any blockages!

-I drained all old gas (5-6month old gas with Sta-bil added last Fall). Gas tank now has 1 gallon of FRESH GAS. ***BEFORE I TOOK OFF CARBS I TRIED FRESH NEW GAS***

-The Carbs are clean, inside and out. I DIDNT have to clean them, but shot some carb cleaner into holes and areas that i figured. the float bowls area, no buildup anywhere, DIDNT need cleaning.

-The Diaphragms work like that diy video. smooth return/etc.

-I cannot see anything cracked or wrong with ANY of the gas/vacuum lines.

-Air filter is just fine too, NOT all dirty.

-When I move the carbs butterfly flappers open/closed, they seem to be very much (to my eyes) equally opening and closing. So "carb sync'ing" shouldnt be needed.

Anyother ideas?

Mind you, ATM the bike is still apart, so I havent put it all back together yet... until I figure out why.
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #42
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

What's your starting procedure? Battery health?
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #43
ScorpionNinja

Sorry, I mis posted this.

I meant that Im having the same issues as Blackwidow "My Baby is Sick..." thread.

Battery is fully charge. Choke Fully Down/On.

Im just looking for ideas for if it IS the carbs, Ive cleaned them good (so I think) and I cant see anything wrong or clogged with them. Before I put everything back together and test start/run the bike again. I dont wanna waste time if i put it all back together and bike still runs crappy and have to take it all apart again.

Let me copy/paste a THREAD from my motorcycle clubs website. No one on there has exp with 250Rs.

brb.....

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #44
ScorpionNinja

My 250R wont run correct...

Tonite, i went out and tried to Start my 250R. Heres the story or play by play to give you an idea to form your 2cents...

Its a Carb'ed 249cc parrell twin engine.

It havent rode it, or started it since May 2011.

Last year when I winterized it (Nov.1st 2010), I used 4 gallons of FRESH GAS. Added correct amount of Sta-bil.

I pulled the Battery and kept it inside the house and plugged in the Tender Once a Month, over this Winter.

This May I started it up, took awhile, a few tries, but I was able to get it running and take it for a Ride. 210 miles over 3 hours, then got home and Parked it!

So tell me what you think of me doing this...

Ill update this, but please share your exp with Any Helpful info.

Last futzed with by ScorpionNinja; October 6th, 2011 at 01:35 PM.

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #45
ScorpionNinja

The bike idles and runs. crappy but it does. When i slightly close choke, it dies. If i blip the throttle, it dies. If i slowly give it throttle, it dies.
The idle speed is set correct @ 1,250-1,500 RPMs.

I put in new correct type NGK spark plugs during winterizing last year. So they have 210 miles on them.

Ive let it sit for 4 mins at 1500 RPM idle... then as above, as soon as I give little throttle, or slowly close choke off, it DIES.

Ive been in touch with some of the 250R fourm members that I used to hang with, so far no replies!
Its either just Old-bad gas (Im gonna start trying as my OP) or its gummed carb's.

Battery has plenty of power. Ive sat there and cranked it some 20x in a row. 3 sec cranks at a time, to finally get the bike to IDLE without dying, but choke must be closed fully. As soon as you open choke, or give some thottle.. it DIES!

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #46
ScorpionNinja

I drained all OLD GAS, and put in 1 gallon of FRESH GAS, before removing carbs and taking **** apart.

Bike STILL acts the same as above troubleshooting!

Old September 29th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #47
ScorpionNinja

*** THIS IS A COPY OF MY POST AT A DIFFERENT THREAD/WEBSITE***

I just was outside and Yes... I siphoned the old gas out (2 gallons worth) Its Yellowish LOL. Old Gas is out (as much as I can siphon out) I put in 4 oz. of GUMOUT carb cleaner gas additive and 1 gallon of FRESH GAS. (I figured id ride up to the gas station and top off with 3 more gallons of FRESH GAS.

Well... The bike starts up ok, but as soon as I slowly close CHOKE, It Dies or wants to die! I kept it at IDLE, then slowly gave it more gas, and Held RPMs @ 4k. Then while holding it @ 4k RPMs, I slowly closed CHOKE....held RPMs @ 4k. Did this for 3mins, then slowly let off throttle, it almost idled at 1,500RPM, but after 10 secs... it died.

I kept doing this for 10 mins, then was able to hold RPMs @ 4k, Choke OPEN and rode around the block. But as soon as I slowed down to turn into driveway, I lowered throttle as I downshifted back into 1st gear, it DIED!

I cant take it for a full ride, until I put the plastics all back on, but I wondered what does all this sound to you guys?

Last futzed with by ScorpionNinja; October 6th, 2011 at 01:34 PM.

Old October 8th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #48
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Can anyone help restore the OP? I miss kkim.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #49
ScorpionNinja

Well so after talking to a fellow member of my Club, he thinks that my carb issue is like his wifes 08 250Rs problem this spring.

Its a clogged Idle jet?

Theres 3 types of jets? I thought there was just the (2) Main jets and (2) Pilot jets?

He said to run seafoam through the fuel system and ride the **** outta it on the highway and it should clean out itself.

I already took off and cleaned the carbs, they looked Clean before I even cleaned/blew them off/out. Im still having the same issue of turning Choke off, it dies no matter how long the bike has warmed up.

Old October 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #50
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

You need to physically remove the idle mixture needles, and blow all the passages out with solvent and compressed air. If it won't idle and the needles are set around 2.5 turns out from bottomed, then the idle passages are blocked with varnish and old fuel residue. Nothing you put in the tank is going to help you with that.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #51
lancer3vo
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpionNinja View Post
The bike idles and runs. crappy but it does. When i slightly close choke, it dies. If i blip the throttle, it dies. If i slowly give it throttle, it dies.
The idle speed is set correct @ 1,250-1,500 RPMs!

Proper idle speed is 1250 +/-
lancer3vo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #52
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I just found out that I'm going to have to put the jets in the carbs on my recent EX250F purchase. They are supposed to be in the box of parts I received with it but I don't even know what they look like. Let me just reiterate this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Can anyone help restore the OP? I miss kkim.

Old June 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #53
lancer3vo
ninjette.org member

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Um... What's OP ? <<<<Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I just found out that I'm going to have to put the jets in the carbs on my recent EX250F purchase. They are supposed to be in the box of parts I received with it but I don't even know what they look like. Let me just reiterate this:
lancer3vo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #54
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixter View Post
OP - Original Poster the person who started a particular thread, in this case that is kkim who left the forums a while back
Also "Original Post." There was a concerted effort to make new images for all the @kkim guides and DIYs. No one touched this one.

Old September 11th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #55
professorman
RoopsPhoto.com

Name: RoopsPhoto.com

Motorcycle(s): 03 Gixxer 1000, wife's 08 Ninja 250R

Is there any other comparable guides that has pictures? I need to do a carb clean.
professorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #56
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorman View Post
Is there any other comparable guides that has pictures? I need to do a carb clean.
This section has a ton of carb-related info - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #57
eeeccc
ninjette.org newbie

Name: E C

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Need help.

I am winterizing my newly purchased used 08 ninja.
Had hesitation at 4-5k RPM on 25-50% throttle and sometimes would stall when given 100% throttle off of idle.
From what I read online, likely had dirty carbs so took it out and cleaned it.

So I was all excited and everything putting it back into the bike to test how the carbs run after to find that the entire electrical system does not work when turned ignition to the on position. Not getting any light on the dash 98%. I tried over and over random things, looked at the fuse box and nothing.
On 2 random occasions, when key turned to 'on' the dash light/neutral/engine light appeared but when i hit the ignition button, everything dies and I revert to a state of nervous breakdown where the electrical system does not turn on anymore for a unforseen period of time no matter what I do.

Battery was on a tender since it was removed and checked to be > 12 V.
Didnt touch the electrical system, except disconnecting fairing signal lights, tank fuel gauge sensor and front headlights.

Anyone have experience with this and have any suggestions on whats my next step?
eeeccc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2014, 11:30 AM   #58
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome E C!

Where did you sit your battery when doing the work? It honestly sounds like your battery is gone. ie... fails under load. I would start there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 27th, 2014, 07:31 PM   #59
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeccc View Post
Need help.

On 2 random occasions, when key turned to 'on' the dash light/neutral/engine light appeared but when i hit the ignition button, everything dies and I revert to a state of nervous breakdown where the electrical system does not turn on anymore for a unforseen period of time no matter what I do.

Battery was on a tender since it was removed and checked to be > 12 V.
Didnt touch the electrical system, except disconnecting fairing signal lights, tank fuel gauge sensor and front headlights.

Anyone have experience with this and have any suggestions on whats my next step?
Sounds like the battery just gave up to me too. If you are getting 12.0V you are only at 50% charged. 100% is about 12.7V. Doesn't seem like much difference, but it is.

At times a Tender will show "Full Charge" and the battery may even show 12.7V, but as soon as there's a load (hitting the button) it will drop off to nothing.

That sounds like what yours is doing.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2015, 10:35 AM   #60
eeeccc
ninjette.org newbie

Name: E C

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Thanks so much for the replies!
Its a Great community here. will be trying this out soon.
eeeccc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2017, 10:40 AM   #61
7eleven
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250

The pictures are gone!! HELP LOL
7eleven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 8th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #62
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7eleven View Post
The pictures are gone!! HELP LOL
The original poster has long been gone and he took the pics with him. Sorry.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #63
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Hi guys... I haven't used my bike for a few months and now it won't idle if I turn off the choke. How can I fix this???? Can someone help me???... PLEEEEZE??!!

How many times have we read this on the forum? If the bike was running fine the last time you rode it and it's been a few months since then, the gas in the carbs may be the problem and could be gumming up your jets.

There are a few remedies such as a fuel cleaner/additive (seafoam, berryman's) that you might be able to get by with that will clean the clogged jets, if you're lucky, but if not, removing the carbs and cleaning out the jets is the only way to be 100% sure your jets are clean and crud free.

I haven't ridden the Ninja since last May and knew the jets were clogged. The bike would idle rough when started with the choke and when I turned off the choke, the bike idled really rough and no amount of playing with the idle speed knob would give me a nice steady idle once the bike was warmed up.

So, today I decided to clean my carbs.

This is how I did mine... your procedure may vary, but ultimately you want to get to the inside of the carbs, remove the pilot jets and clean them out.

First step, put the bike up on a rear stand...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9810

Next, remove the bodywork...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9933

and then the gas tank...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10191

then, remove the carbs...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44330

At this point your bike should look like this...

parts removed and safely tucked away in a corner...

Find a clean working area and flip the carbs upside down and remove the float bowls. I use a JIS screwdriver on these screws and have no problems with stripped out screws. I highly recommend you purchase a set if you work on your bike a lot.

The pilot jets are in these "towers" at the bottom of the carb. Use a suitable screwdriver that fit the jets well as they are made of brass and deform easily if you use a loose fitting screwdriver blade.

once removed, this is what the pilot jets look like...

Sorry for the blurry pics, but I was trying to show that my pilot jets were blocked solid. If you hold them up to the light, you should be able to see a perfectly round hole when looking through the jet. As you can see, no light is visible in this jet.

Blast through the jet with compressed air with a nozzle attachment...

and the result after blasting it with compressed air... as you can see, there's light coming through the jet now. When clean, you should be able to see a nice round hole of light. The pilot jet hole is very small, so they tend to clog up very easily, which leads to hard starting.

I checked the main jets just because I was in there. Again, use a suitable size screwdriver to remove the main jets.

Main jets required no cleaning...

Reinstall the main jets, pilot jets and carb bowls.

Reinstall the carbs, air filter and gas tank and start bike up to check your work. If bike runs to your satisfaction, put the bodywork back on.

Hope this helps some of you when you go to start your bike after it's winter hibernation. If you didn't prep your bike before putting it away for winter, I can almost guaranty you'll be doing this jet cleaning come spring time.
what happened to the pictures?

Old July 9th, 2017, 04:47 AM   #64
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
what happened to the pictures?
Kkim has left the forum a while ago. Likely he had his photos hosted here, so the embeding reference links aren't valid if the photos are no longer in the referenced places.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2017, 04:49 AM   #65
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Kkim has left the forum a while ago. Likely he had his photos hosted here, so the embeding reference links aren't valid if the photos are no longer in the referenced places.
he has hundreds like this

Old July 9th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #66
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
he has hundreds like this
Like I said... he left the forum, deleted his photos and cleared out his profile.

The reference links in the photo embedding text are still looking for those photos (which were likely hosted by this site) in places where there are no longer photos because they were deleted when he cleared out his profile. This is what gives the error you see. Basically the website is following a link that doesn't have anything in it anymore.

So... none of his photos are going to show up anymore unless other users had them saved before he left and Big Alex was able to embed the copies into the thread.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2017, 05:13 AM   #67
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Like I said... he left the forum, deleted his photos and cleared out his profile.

The reference links in the photo embedding text are still looking for those photos (which were likely hosted by this site) in places where there are no longer photos because they were deleted when he cleared out his profile. This is what gives the error you see. Basically the website is following a link that doesn't have anything in it anymore.

So... none of his photos are going to show up anymore unless other users had them saved before he left and Big Alex was able to embed the copies into the thread.
thanx for reply. bummers

Old July 29th, 2018, 04:03 PM   #68
Jpc647
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250 , 2005 SV650, 2003SV1000

Did anyone happen to back these photo's up? I need to go through this on my bike, and I can't get the photo's to load. Pictures make it a lot more straightforward.
Jpc647 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2023, 01:16 AM   #69
ThatGuyInTheKilt
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 YZF600R

By the way, the picture links (the pics in the thread, not the threads that are linked) in the original thread.
ThatGuyInTheKilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2023, 01:31 AM   #70
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
many like me used photo studio to post pics. there membership went crazy so i dropped em. lots of my pics still show but photo studio written thru pic

Old February 3rd, 2023, 03:36 PM   #71
IndestructibleNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 08' ninja 250 and Honda XL600

If you run oil in your gas, you won't ever have to clean the carbs. Bike was sitting for months in winter, took 10 seconds of cranking but fired right up. Old trick I found out myself but I read this has been used by old timers for a while, specifically by pouring it down the fuel lines going to carbs and then just putting the machine back into action with straight gas. I elect to just run oil with fuel and never have to worry about a corroded gummed up carb. It also serves as an upper cylinder lubricant and fogging oil while in use. Can't recommend this enough. I use waste motor oil and haven't found a negative yet.
IndestructibleNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2023, 08:19 PM   #72
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

This Picture really helped me clean my carbs where they were at least working for a little while... then a month or so ago I sent the carbs to Gordon and had him fix them !
these are very hard carburators to clean.... it seems that the passage ways are so small that compressed air doesn't do much at all I used a carburator brush and probe cleaning kit to clean them out the best I could and then made sure I had carb cleaner exiting all 4
points on the pilot circuit.... that took some doing ! it wasn't just a poke and spray affair i had to poke and use a thin stainless steel cable down the holes and work it around to get the blockage out ... doing that completely plugged one of the 4 passage ways completely, but I finally got it clear too.... put them back together and it ran fairly good so I ran it like that for a year.... but it still wasn't right and I could tell so I sent them to Ducattiman (Gordon) and had him fix the carbs and he found several things amiss like the wrong jets and a plugged pilot jet....even after all my hard work...
so he is very good at what he does save your self the problem and let a pro fix them for you...that's what I did and I am glad I did !
Bob........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carb cleaning01 NINJA.jpg (107.3 KB, 1 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.