Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Notices

Old August 7th, 2017, 03:46 PM   #41
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I only split if the traffic is stopped.

Even then my speed is no more than 10 or 20 kph.

I ride under the assumption that every tin top is trying to kill me.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #42
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
I only split if the traffic is stopped.

Even then my speed is no more than 10 or 20 kph.

I ride under the assumption that every tin top is trying to kill me.
Seems reasonable. I commonly get passed while splitting; someone comes up behind me and is obviously going faster than I am (or am willing to) so I pull over and let them go by.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #43
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Is it the same with "to be or not to be?" lol. That saying is showing as if the factor of a crash is dependently only on your actions alone.

Reality of life; there are idiots on the road who do not respect you or even themselves that prone to crashes, with or without you involved in it.

Old August 9th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #44
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Seems reasonable. I commonly get passed while splitting; someone comes up behind me and is obviously going faster than I am (or am willing to) so I pull over and let them go by.
What happens if a guy driving a 65 Mustang realizes he's slammed the door on his seat belt and opens his door to retrieve it as you're approaching his car?

Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #45
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
If a driver opens their door, I hit the brakes. This is one of the reasons I don't go all that fast when I lane-split. Gives me time to react.

As far as a crash being dependent on more than just me, you're right. Things happen. I can't control anything other than what I do, though, so I can only watch for those other things and be on guard.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #46
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Strictly speaking I agree that crashing isn't inevitable. Still, I like the old adage of the "Two types of riders...".

It serves as a reminder to me that I should prepare myself as best as I can to try and mitigate the risk of a crash. If I assume it's likely I will go down at some point I have the best reason of all to wear ATGATT, I have the best reason to practice safe riding.

Old August 26th, 2017, 01:03 AM   #47
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRidin View Post
Strictly speaking I agree that crashing isn't inevitable. Still, I like the old adage of the "Two types of riders...".

It serves as a reminder to me that I should prepare myself as best as I can to try and mitigate the risk of a crash. If I assume it's likely I will go down at some point I have the best reason of all to wear ATGATT, I have the best reason to practice safe riding.
Oh sure, he does hand stands on the edge of a cliff and goes mountain climbing. Ever think about taking up chess or shuffle board?

Bill

Old August 26th, 2017, 11:19 AM   #48
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Oh sure, he does hand stands on the edge of a cliff and goes mountain climbing. Ever think about taking up chess or shuffle board?

Bill
Haha, perspective shots are a wonderful tool....even so, being about 8 feet from the edge made me a bit nervous there!

And as for chess, absolutely. As for shuffle board I'll save that for my Caribbean cruise....I'll probably do one of those....eventually.