Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 10th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #1
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): none yet

how long have you owned your ninja?

Hey guys,

I was wondering how many years some of you've ownd your ninja? And did you ever get tired of the speed or the power? And upgrade to another bike??

Cause I'm looking at getting a ninja (mainly for the mpg) and I was looking at keeping it for anywhere from 2 to 3 years to for good (and buy a bigger bike of course) but I keep. Having people tell me ill grow tired of it quickly. And I wanted to get some feed back on owners and how they like the ninja.
And how it held up to there expectations. Or did they grow tired of it

Thanks guys.
gsxrninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #2
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I bought my 09 ninja 250 back in april and still love to ride it. It's tons of fun and has plenty of power for me (235lbs.; 6'2"). I normally get anywhere from 50-55mpg. If you buy a ninja 250 as your first bike you won't regret it. I still haven't used the bike to it's full potential though I've taken it to redline many times .

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #3
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I got my bike exactly a year ago! I love it. I downsized after 10+ years of riding mostly 650s and I haven't missed the bigger bikes yet.

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #4
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Joined Ninjette when I purchased my bike!
[#4]
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #5
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoED View Post

Joined Ninjette when I purchased my bike!
Very nice! I hope to have my ninja by january, march at the latest.

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have owned my bike ever since I bought it new out of the crate in April of 05.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:46 PM   #7
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I got mine 11/09...put in on road feb10.
Only time i miss power is passing into oncoming lanes.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #8
itsa250bro
ninjette.org member

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 CP Blue

2 years for me. I got it to practice on before "moving up" like everyone I know told me I would but - I still love it! I know it's not easy to wheelie on, and max speed is only around 100 mph but I still manage to have fun everytime. (people that tell me I need a bigger bike don't know me well)
itsa250bro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #9
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
I got mine 11/09...put in on road feb10.
Only time i miss power is passing into oncoming lanes.
Why so long till you got it on the road?

Old September 10th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #10
eddiekay

Had not yet discovered electric gloves....once i got the Gerbrbings it was a different story.

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #11
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

This is my second 250R. Bought it on July 7, 2011. Previously had a 2008 new gen. I had a few other bikes with way more power but none were anywhere near as much fun. I frequently out run my buddies on their 600's in the twisties- there isn't a staright away more than about 300 yards.

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #12
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

almost a year at this point
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #13
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
This is my second 250R. Bought it on July 7, 2011. Previously had a 2008 new gen. I had a few other bikes with way more power but none were anywhere near as much fun. I frequently out run my buddies on their 600's in the twisties- there isn't a staright away more than about 300 yards.
So you had two of the new gen 250r? Or a pre gen and a new gen?

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:43 PM   #14
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Just hit my 3 year and 21K mile mark

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

If you find yourself getting bored riding ANY motorcycle, you're doing it wrong.

I bought a pre-gen at the beginning of 2009, rode it for 6 months to learn on, then I sold it to upgrade to the strikingly sexy current gen. So I've had my second 250 for about 2 years now. Both on the track and on the street, I have never at any point felt it was boring. That's not to say you should never get any other bike, but "boring" won't be the reason you do.

I'll probably be getting rid of mine when someone pries it from my cold dead fingers (Unless that happens AFTER the zombie apocalypse. In which case, my cold dead fingers will still be on the throttle, and everyone can just back the hell off).
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #16
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

One year and one month since i got my 250, She has been through a lot during her first year and has always treated me right. I plan on keeping this bike for a long time to come. I will have other bikes as i do now but there will always be a place in my riding days for her.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #17
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiphone View Post
If you find yourself getting bored riding ANY motorcycle, you're doing it wrong.

I bought a pre-gen at the beginning of 2009, rode it for 6 months to learn on, then I sold it to upgrade to the strikingly sexy current gen. So I've had my second 250 for about 2 years now. Both on the track and on the street, I have never at any point felt it was boring. That's not to say you should never get any other bike, but "boring" won't be the reason you do.

I'll probably be getting rid of mine when someone pries it from my cold dead fingers (Unless that happens AFTER the zombie apocalypse. In which case, my cold dead fingers will still be on the throttle, and everyone can just back the hell off).

(I'd be riding right with you after the zombie apocalypse but not as a zombie)
And I love your screen name btw.

Old September 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #18
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

31 months, been riding regularly for 29 months, have 33,200 miles under my belt now.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #19
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I sold my '09 Ninjette earlier this year. I liked the bike, but it was never what I wanted. I had it exactly a year, and I went through a cycle of looking at bikes to upgrade, then looking at upgrade options for the 250, then back to other bikes, then back to upgrades for the 250, etc.,etc.,etc. I ended up stumbling on my ZX-6R and decided I had to have it. I mean, it was blue, damnit!

There was nothing wrong with the Ninjette, and I had some incredible fun on it. I will never forget it. However, I am not a big fan of the lack of power. It isn't so much the power itself, but rather the way it is delivered. I don't mind revving the hell out of an engine; in fact, I prefer it to an engine that needs to be short-shifted. But when I rev that engine, it better damn well deliver, and the 250 didn't. A lot of bark, A LOT OF BARK, and NO BITE. Like I said, I want a reward for waiting patiently like a good little boy; my 600 delivers exactly what I want when I play in the upper rpm range.

If I had known better a year ago, I would have purchased a used pre-gen and spent the money for a rear shock to allow it to be capable of handling my weight safely. I could have spent less than $3,000 including the shock. Buy a pre-gen or look into a CBR250.

Just so you know, I like all bikes, regardless of engine size and I have been fortunate to be able to ride several different types over the year and a half I have been riding. I LOVE my wife's TU. In hindsight, I think I preferred it to my Ninjette! It wasn't anywhere near as quick, but it didn't "pretend" to be something it wasn't. I rode it last night, and I honestly miss riding the thing. My wife won't let me ride it often because apparently my heavy ass squishes her seat.

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #20
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Bought mine brand new on April 22, 2011. I love it a lot, and I can't imagine getting rid of this bike, even when I decide to move up to a bigger bike.
I'm planning on keeping it until it no longer runs.

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:08 PM   #21
zem
Matress

Name: Sebastian

Motorcycle(s): Blue 04 Ninja 250

I have had mine for about 3 months now and put about 3200 miles on it. So I've barely had it, but I absolutely love it. It's gonna be a while til I can afford to upgrade, but I plan on keeping it once I do.

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:45 PM   #22
eddiekay

T......that's a really good observation:
" It wasn't anywhere near as quick, but it didn't "pretend" to be something it wasn't. "
I agree 100% from another angle....
It's not the Ninjette or even Kawa that's doing the pretending but some of the owners.
Ever see $1800 aluminum saddle boxes on a BMW or SV,,,but it's spotless clean, not a scratch?
Slip ons , clip ons, dampers and rearsets on a supersport that's 5 years old with 2200 miles onit ?
The Duc guys who look like they're dressed for halloween ?
The HD outlaws ?
It's not the bike that makes believe....it's the riders and that's exactly what's supposed to happen.
IMHO it's the best toy I ever had.

Old September 10th, 2011, 10:50 PM   #23
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Good post, Eddie.

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #24
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

August 12th of this year. Not insured yet since I haven't taken my MSF yet. Been riding it around the neighbourhood, though, and have my week long MSF scheduled for the 19th of September; can't wait to get out on the open road!
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #25
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Comin' up on three years and 20,000mi here. I won't lie; there's some things the ninjette could do better, but for me, that's just more character. I plan to ride this bike til it dies, then rebuild it and ride it some more.

Old September 11th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #26
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I sold my '09 Ninjette earlier this year. I liked the bike, but it was never what I wanted. I had it exactly a year, and I went through a cycle of looking at bikes to upgrade, then looking at upgrade options for the 250, then back to other bikes, then back to upgrades for the 250, etc.,etc.,etc. I ended up stumbling on my ZX-6R and decided I had to have it. I mean, it was blue, damnit!

There was nothing wrong with the Ninjette, and I had some incredible fun on it. I will never forget it. However, I am not a big fan of the lack of power. It isn't so much the power itself, but rather the way it is delivered. I don't mind revving the hell out of an engine; in fact, I prefer it to an engine that needs to be short-shifted. But when I rev that engine, it better damn well deliver, and the 250 didn't. A lot of bark, A LOT OF BARK, and NO BITE. Like I said, I want a reward for waiting patiently like a good little boy; my 600 delivers exactly what I want when I play in the upper rpm range.

If I had known better a year ago, I would have purchased a used pre-gen and spent the money for a rear shock to allow it to be capable of handling my weight safely. I could have spent less than $3,000 including the shock. Buy a pre-gen or look into a CBR250.

Just so you know, I like all bikes, regardless of engine size and I have been fortunate to be able to ride several different types over the year and a half I have been riding. I LOVE my wife's TU. In hindsight, I think I preferred it to my Ninjette! It wasn't anywhere near as quick, but it didn't "pretend" to be something it wasn't. I rode it last night, and I honestly miss riding the thing. My wife won't let me ride it often because apparently my heavy ass squishes her seat.
What do you mean handle your weight safely?? For the pre gen?

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #27
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I have owned my bike for 53 days, 21 hours and 57 minutes (I checked the purchase receipt to figure that out!)

I feel like I've mastered it in that time so I'm going to step up to a Ducati Diavel
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 02:55 AM   #28
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Good luck on the upgrade Akima.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #29
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Good luck on the upgrade Akima.
I was actually kidding, but reading my post back I can see why you thought I was serious!

To be clear:

I TOTALLY LOVE MY NINJETTE ... and have no intention of upgrading.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 03:20 AM   #30
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
After the 600zzr and the 800 Vfr I got tired of 30 to 45 mpg . The weight of a 400 to 500 lb bike. The 1200 dollar a year insurance payment . So I upgraded to the 250 Ninja in Febuary of 2008. It is coming up on 4 years.Still love it
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 07:41 AM   #31
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrninja250 View Post
What do you mean handle your weight safely?? For the pre gen?
The stock pre-gen ('07 - earlier) has no pre-load adjustment for the rear shock. I weigh 270 lbs and every single pre-gen I ever sat on bottomed out in the showroom. Not very confidence inspiring when you start to think about road conditions you will inevitably run into. So in order to have a working suspension for my weight, I would have had to get a new shock. It would still have been cheaper than what I paid for my new-gen.

Old September 11th, 2011, 08:00 PM   #32
lv250
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2009 CRF230L, 1998 Honda VT1100c, 1974 Honda XL100, 07 Yamaha Wolverine 350, 06 ArticCat 250

Got new

I purchased in January 2010 and I love the bike. Only reason I may give up is to clear my garage out and make room for another.

I am planning on adding a ex500 for touring if I get what I want on my ATV. I am also planning on getting in January a BMWF650GS for touring. But first I want to make room, sell the ATV and my 1974 XL100. Get rid of my friends ATV from being stored in my garage. Build a Rack system and put my wife's ATV up and that will allow even more room for a few more bikes.

I would sell my Shadow but the wife loves it. I can not get rid of my little CRF230L way to much fun.

Ah hell follow Jay Leno's advice never get rid just add.
lv250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #33
DiscoBriscoe
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

I've had mine about 4 days.
DiscoBriscoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #34
Chuffmonkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2011 250R SE (sold 5/8/13)

I've had mine exactly one month today. I start a new job next week so I hope to use it as a commuter for a little while, until the bad weather settles in here. And I love it - it's my iPad wallpaper, my PC wallpaper and I have a picture of it on my wall in the office. I think my wife is pretty sick of it by now though.

I had a conversation with some guy in a parking lot on Saturday - he was admiring the bike and, when I told him it was a 250, he goes "well I'm sure it's OK on these side streets" - he was very surprised to hear that it can keep up on the freeway just fine, plus it's great in the twisties, and fuel economy is great.
Chuffmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #35
stealth250
Gearhead

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Bought mine new in July 2008. I've enjoyed every minute of it. No plans on upgrading as this bike suits my needs perfectly. I use it as a nice weather commuter and weekend toy. Sure has helped with the expense of putting gas in a Suburban all the time!

Old September 12th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #36
YORCHI
n00b

Name: Jorge

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2010 Ninja 250

2 months exactly today...

#KCCO
YORCHI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM   #37
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

I don't have it yet. fuuuuuuuuu
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #38
gsxrninja250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I don't have it yet. fuuuuuuuuu
Now was this really needed?

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #39
GeorgiaHooligan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Aaron

almost 3yrs baby. Im 5'10 and 170lbs and IM ready for a little more hp.
GeorgiaHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #40
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Got mine brand new on 8.6.08 still very much in love with her... breaks my heart every time I hear her cry in the garage when I get in the cage