ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #1
tylerdurden119
ninjette.org member

Name: Kristopher

Motorcycle(s): BLACK 09 250r, burnt orange 09 zx 6r

comp werkes fender kit trouble

K, so i was doin my oil change and i figured good time to throw the fender kit on while it drained. Got it all apart, fender off the bike, but there's this one step where its asking to drill the heads of the rivets out, and I can't get em for the life of me. They're heating up and starting to melt the plastic. I'm gonna try a dremel and get em from underneath. But its sayin to drill the heads out from the top. ??????????????, HELP
tylerdurden119 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #2
tylerdurden119
ninjette.org member

maybe I should use a bigger drill bit???

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #3
kkim

use a centerpunch to mark the center of the rivet first to help position the drill bit. us a small bit first if you are having problems with a large bit. Are the bits sharp? rivets are usually aluminum and relatively easy to drill.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM   #4
tylerdurden119
ninjette.org member

thas exactly what i was sayin , aluminum. I'm goin to the hardware store to get a bit as my torque wrench won't go down to 14.5 lbs for the oil filter and drain nuts so ill just grab a bit while im there. The only thing im wonderin is if size, Im thinkin just a bit smaller than the o/d of the rivet from the underside??

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #5
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Rivits are usually really easy to drill out. If your bits are dull it will cause excess heat. you can either replace the bits if they are cheap, or if they are really nice bits you can buy a sharpener. I honestly think it is not worth sharpening, but i have an uncle who always sharpens his bits.

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerdurden119 View Post
The only thing im wonderin is if size, Im thinkin just a bit smaller than the o/d of the rivet from the underside??
That should work. It may be cheaper in the long run to find a drill bit set on sale that includes the size you need. Buying bits individually can get expensive when you add it all up.

also, if you have a reversible drill, are you sure you have it turning in the right direction?

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #7
tylerdurden119
ninjette.org member

lmao, thas exactly what it was, reversed

damn new technology, i thought it was just a basic drill. lmao. effin screw gun. But i still gonna need a smaller torque wrench mine only goes down to 30lbs.

Old May 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #8
kkim

lol... don't feel bad.

true story... I work at a NASA site and one day one of the techs is drilling a hole on the back of the chassis to install a connector. After about an hour he yells... "I give up.. all the damn drill bits are so damned dull around here!! Can't we get some sharper bits??!!" You guessed it, he had the drill in reverse.

3/8" drive torque wrench. usually works from about 10-90 ft/lbs.