ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #1
djmonkiigrl
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joanne

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja250

Newbie can't downshift!

So it's pretty much self-explanatory, I'm new and learning on my bike still, so I'm hoping that this is a rider error rather than something wrong with my bike, which is new with only 25 miles on it.

I've found recently that while I'm downshifting to a stop, my shift lever seems to get stuck after my first downshift. So in example, if I'm coming to a red light at 3rd gear, it'll get stuck at 2nd and not go down to 1st, which makes taking off at green a little difficult.

I've tried coming to a stop first, and then downshifting, but the problem persists. I'll be at third, come down to second, and not be able to go down to first.

Even if I have the clutch pulled in, the level won't budge for a couple of seconds. However if I wait it out, I'm finally able to downshift. By then, I have a row of cars behind me, honking me and wondering what's up. :[

I'm thinking maybe i'm not matching rev speeds? But I've always been able to downshift completely to first while learning on the MSF bikes, without waiting, so I don't know what's up. : /

Any advice or help would be nice, thanks!
djmonkiigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:29 AM   #2
kkim

are you trying to downshift to first while the bike is moving or are you at a standstill?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:31 AM   #3
djmonkiigrl
ninjette.org newbie

I've tried both and I still have the same problem. The bike won't downshift until a couple second delay.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:33 AM   #4
kkim

Okay... are you letting your foot up fully between shifts? also, are you using the clutch when downshifting?

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Have you released pressure on the leaver so it’s ready to change again

Steve

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:54 AM   #6
djmonkiigrl
ninjette.org newbie

I usually try downshifting more than one gear changes within one clutch pull, when I'm coming at a complete stop.

So my downshifting in traffic looks like this: 1. light hits red 2. I pull in clutch and begin braking with front and rear brakes 3. I try shifting from 3rd to to 2nd to 1st within that single clutch application, so that's two shift changes

I've been told that I don't need to release and reapply the clutch for every shift change (while trying this at a complete stop, I'm also scared of stalling the bike), but would a different method help?

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:56 AM   #7
kkim

try releasing the clutch lever each time between downshifts and see if that solves your problem.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM   #8
parkerstovall42
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Parker

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I also have a brand new bike with a similar problem, if I completely disengage the clutch it sometimes has difficulty fully downshifting. I have found that by slightly releasing the clutch lever - using the little bit of play before you actually hit the friction zone - it tends to alleviate this problem. I have a feeling it's a simple fix, probably just a setup error in the clutch linkage but it's not a big enough problem for me to take it back into the shop before my first scheduled maintenance.
parkerstovall42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:17 AM   #9
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Welcome Joann and Parker! J- with my bike, sometimes it takes a bit more ooph to get it into first- like it's just stuck.... if I give it a bit more forceful tap, it will go right on down... same going up into second... sometimes I need to use a stronger lift to get it to go up into second I just swear quietly and keeep going...

Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM   #10
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Check our linkage and to make sure everything is tight in that area. Also check your clutch "play" to make sure its within spec.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 10:25 AM   #11
rage42
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

I've only owned manual shift vehicles, and sometimes it just needs to clutch let out to get everything moving right or something. It happens to me to, I don't know if it's the clutch itself, or if I'm not fully downshifting something down there, something just doesnt line up right.

If it stops downshifting, i let the clutch go slightly and and reapply, it slips in to one of the gears. Sometimes at a full stop at a light I have to do that every gear. It also likes slipping in to neutral when I think its stuck in 2nd gear.

I never thought it was a real problem, just a quirk, my wrangler has an occasional shifting quirk as well.
rage42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:25 PM   #12
CodE-E
Ninja Newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): EX250K9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
try releasing the clutch lever each time between downshifts and see if that solves your problem.
I also think it's safer to downshift like this. By going down more than 1 gear and then engaging the clutch again, the engine braking can be unexpectedly strong.

Once you get used to the feel of your clutch, you'll be able to downshift 1 gear at a time very quickly. But still, when I shift more than 1 gear down, my clutch is disengaged for a bit too long, and I feel a bit unsafe "cruising" and then suddenly slowing down rapidly due to engine braking. Just doesn't feel safe or smooth.
CodE-E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:55 PM   #13
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Be sure you are in 1st gear BEFORE the bike stops..it's really hard to get back in first if you accident stop in like 4th or 5th gear...

Old July 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM   #14
Twinck
Tinkerer

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): Black 09 Ninja, 09 CBR125 (well sort of.. it's the wifes :) )

Newbie at the keyboard !! (me that is) .. sounds like the gears aren't able to mesh properly in between shifts, by letting the clutch out again you're letting the wheels in the gearbox spin a little to find new alignment.. you can experiment with this between neutral and first when the gears "butt" and wont go in, but if you roll back and forward an inch or so the gear will click in

my 0.02

Tom
Twinck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup. I'd go down 1 gear at a time, letting clutch out each time, until you get a better feel for what exact pressure the shift lever needs to get itself into each new gear at different speeds. Eventually, as the transmission breaks in a little, and as you get a better feel for it, you may be able to revert back to the multiple downshifts with one clutch pull technique.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM   #16
B2FiNiTY
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R

I had the same problem. If it won't go down to first, just pull your clutch lever in about half way, press down and continue to press down while you pull your clutch lever closer and closer. Somewhere in between there it will click in.
B2FiNiTY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM   #17
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Go to a large empty parking lot and just run back and forth for a while, upshifting and downshifting. You should be working through the gears one at a time, using your clutch, and slowly rolling to your stop in first.

I suspect because the bike only has a few miles on it, the transmission is still very snug, and because you are a newbie you are still getting used to it. With the empty parking lot you can concentrate on shifting and not worry about lights or traffic.

Old July 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM   #18
Ohh Snap
420 President

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja grass color

That's what happened with mine, and it was brand new as well.

I don't remember if i stopped in 2nd gear at a red light, but it wouldn't get in 1st. So i drove out of 2nd
Ohh Snap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #19
djmonkiigrl
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for everyone's replies, they were all very helpful!

I went home this weekend and tried doing what everyone suggested: shifting through with individual clutch application, and lo and behold, it's working!

Now I just have a find a large parking lot to practice.

Old July 7th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #20
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

If you are not rev matching when down shifting, I suggest to try it will make down shifting a whole lot smoother, and easier on your transmission. Your trans should get smoother as you put a few more miles on it. My felt clunky untill about 500 miles.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #21
elars
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): None

Manual transmission cars have synchros that help align the teeth of the engine to the teeth of the drive line (most do, VW's don't have one for 1st, Dodges don't have one for Reverse). Most bikes don't. Typically they don't need it. If you go down one at a time and let the clutch out you probably rarely run into the issue, but sometimes when skipping gears by going down multiples at a time you will. It's probably better practice to downshift and let the clutch out as you go, but really there's no difference to your engine or transmission.

Tom essentially described why this happens. Because bikes trans. are inline (1N23456) you have to go through all the gears to get down to one rather than to N from 6 like you do a car. Saves weight and size on something that's not really dire. Slipping out the clutch helps slide those together, so if it sticks, you don't have to fully engage, just slip til you hit friction zone, pull it back in, and try again, it'll work.
elars is offline   Reply With Quote