ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 1st, 2012, 04:43 PM   #1
tgoff
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 Ninja

2007 Tank Hoses Placement?

So I did the airbox mod and cut my battery box off from the air box. Tried cleaning the carbs to the best of my ability and I am currently waiting for my k&n air pods in the mail. I am however, concerned that I put the wrong hoses back in the proper spots. This is how I have them set up. (1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2 and 3 is the overflow)

tgoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:00 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just get rid of all that junk

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3
tgoff
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 Ninja

What do you mean? This is my first bike and I been learning a good amount of basic maintenance from it (previous owner pretty much lied about taking care of it) So I have been fixing her up. What is unnecessary about what I have on the bike?
tgoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Akeru
The Fireburd

Name: Merdane

Motorcycle(s): '02 Ninja 250 "Nikki"

Wow, that's a lot of extra tubes compared to what's on my '02. I wonder what it all does.

I just have one tube on the topside of the tank where number 2 is, and two tubes connected to the petcock.

That was zero help huh

Sorry bout that
Akeru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #5
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

In a 49-state bike the vent system in the filler cap vents to atmosphere right at the filler cap. In California bikes there's a gasket and additional tubing at the filler cap that runs to the back of the tank and two more hoses so that the fumes can't just float away into the air (at $4/gallon!) Instead, the fumes go through one of the hoses down to a container with charcoal in it, the charcoal captures the fumes and when the bike is running the fumes are sucked out of the charcoal and burned in the engine like any other fuel.

Now sometimes liquid fuel may wind up going through that hose instead of vapors, that fuel goes to the bottom of the canister where there is a small electric pump. That pump will pump the liquid fuel back into the tank through a hose, the second of the three hoses. The third hose is the same hose that the 49-state bikes have, and it's just to drain any water that gets into the recess that the filler cap sits down inside, otherwise when you opened your filler cap on a rainy day to fill up the bike a load of water would drop right into your tank.

So, to recap, there are three hoses, one for fuel liquid and vapor to be captured by the charcoal canister, one for liquid fuel to be pumped back up into the tank through, and one to drain water from the filler cap recess.

It's really not complicated once you understand how it all works together, and one benefit is that your garage doesn't smell like gasoline on hot summer days from all the fuel evaporating out of the tank.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote