ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Clip-ons - whats the best?

So i'm in the market for a pair of clip-ons... i like the woodcraft because of the way they mount under the triple tree bracket with stock front fork heights, but i like the fact that the kitaco clipons are $120.
if you buy the kitaco's, you have to mount them on top with the triple tree brace lowered an inch, right? but lowering your front forks an inch or so is supposedly beneficial to handling? if it is i would think i would want to lower them regardless, which would mean there would be no sense paying more for the woodcrafts if i'm not going to use them for their advantage of mounting under the tripletree bracket.

what do you guys think? would anyone recommend NOT lowering the front and going with kitacos?

Old December 22nd, 2009, 01:27 PM   #2
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

me personally i'm going w/ kitacos,i asked kkim about the pro's of lowering the front end an inch.i'm going for it!
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:10 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
are there any con's to lowering?

Old December 22nd, 2009, 02:57 PM   #4
DEXSPEED

the bike will be more sensitive to steering,if you are not comfortable w/ the bike,maybe dont do it yet.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:01 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
would the bike be more prone to wondering on things like metal grates? or just easier to dive in a turn? would i want to weight the bars if i lower it to add stability? would weighted bar ends make much of a difference anyway? or would i want to go all out on a damper?

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #6
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
are there any con's to lowering?
For some people, yes. The bike already sits too low and hard parts scrape too easy. I've already put rear sets on and hacked the kick stand mount... if I lowered the bike an inch I'd probably start dragging the body work

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:11 PM   #7
DEXSPEED

a damper makes more of a mechanical sense to work best.not sure about the grates and weights.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:21 PM   #8
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
would the bike be more prone to wondering on things like metal grates? or just easier to dive in a turn? would i want to weight the bars if i lower it to add stability? would weighted bar ends make much of a difference anyway? or would i want to go all out on a damper?

Bar weights aren't gonna do much, they are there absorb vibration and I can't tell the difference between having them and not (I don't run weighted bar ends). The biggest thing that affects how your bike reacts on grates is the tires. Same bike ... a handfull on open-grate bridges with one tire and then not too bad with a different tire, it's just something motorcyclists have to deal with.

A steering damper looks trick... I want one! Get one if you like, but don't do what a lot of people do and expect it to fix things it isn't intended to fix.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:28 PM   #9
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Also you will not be lowering the top clamp an inch if you went with kitaco. The kitaco clamp is about an inch but some of the forks stick out of the top of the clamp in its stock position. The actual mount of lowering you'll be doing is closer to 10-14mm (I haven't measured lately).

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:31 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Ok... lets see if i get this straight...
lowering will make it dive faster with the cost of reduced ground clearance.
the clip-ons will help posturing (which contributes to better handling and weight distribution) and give a slightly torque'ier hold on the forks.
dampers are only really good for preventing tank-slappers and one-off rocks/jolts.
bar weights are basically useless in high-performance motoring. (comfort not being a factor in performance)

Old December 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM   #11
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

pretty much. The amount of reduced ground clearance is equal to the size of a finger nail.

Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM   #12
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

I've seen a 250 with clip-ons above the triple. From personal experience, I think the woodcraft ones sit ever so slightly down and forward.

I went for the woodcraft ones just because I got them for $140, and for $20 bucks I like the look of the bars under the clip ons. PLUS if you don't have to remove your triple if you ever wanted to mount under the handle bars

But for you, if you don't mind the look (or like the look of handle bars over the triple) and your on a tight budget, the KTC is a fine product and you can't go wrong with it.
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:32 PM   #13
Mr_Pete
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
I've seen a 250 with clip-ons above the triple. From personal experience, I think the woodcraft ones sit ever so slightly down and forward.

I went for the woodcraft ones just because I got them for $140, and for $20 bucks I like the look of the bars under the clip ons. PLUS if you don't have to remove your triple if you ever wanted to mount under the handle bars

But for you, if you don't mind the look (or like the look of handle bars over the triple) and your on a tight budget, the KTC is a fine product and you can't go wrong with it.
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get the woodcrafts at for only $140? Thanks.
Mr_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:46 PM   #14
sixstring
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 09 EX250 LE

Special price at a local shop
sixstring is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 24th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #15
jamesbernatchez
Rider newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I got the Woodcrafts for $162 shipped from a track/shop out in Cali. I can't remember the name off hand. They seemed like it was shipped directly from Woodcraft in Mass. I love them! Well worth the price IMO.

'09 Ninja 250R
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2009, 09:08 PM   #16
Choter
ninjette.org member

Name: Haddie

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Do any of the clipons have anything preventing them from twisting if the bike falls over, the factory handlebars bolt in with two bolts and therefore cannot twist unless it breaks it off. I see all the clip-ons just clamp to the tubes or to the top of them where they come out so if they were hit im sure they would twist and let the bike smash real good on the ground. Also do clipons save any weight over the factory handlebars?
Choter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM   #17
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the bars that bolt on to the clipons bend in the event they go down, not the clipons themselves... I would think you wouldn't want to bend your forks if your bike goes down, but rather have the damage contained to scratching some plastics and damaging your controls

Old January 1st, 2010, 12:58 AM   #18
whylee
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2 2009 Ninja 250's Honda VTX 1800

I just installed the Vortex 37mm clip ons on my 09 track bike. They look and feel great. There is no problem with any interferance. There is plenty of room for adjustment. I may try the woodcraft sometime if I get a good deal on a set, but the vortex are great. I will post some pics soon.
whylee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2010, 01:14 AM   #19
whylee
ninjette.org member

A couple pics of the Vortex. I used the plastic hole plugs that go on the frame with a dab of silicon to cover the top of the clip on clamp, they fit perfect and gives it a finished look. Not that it really matters since im not painting the plastic so nothing really looks finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg race ninja 002.JPG (111.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg race ninja 006.JPG (101.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg race ninja 005.JPG (101.2 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg race ninja 003.JPG (83.3 KB, 81 views)

Old January 1st, 2010, 08:59 AM   #20
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choter View Post
Do any of the clipons have anything preventing them from twisting if the bike falls over, the factory handlebars bolt in with two bolts and therefore cannot twist unless it breaks it off. I see all the clip-ons just clamp to the tubes or to the top of them where they come out so if they were hit im sure they would twist and let the bike smash real good on the ground. Also do clipons save any weight over the factory handlebars?
the KTC clip-on's are a lot lighter then the stock bars, and I would think that you would want the clip-on's to snap or brake or twist in a fall so you do not damage your triple or forks. I have the Ktc and I like the look over the woodcraft and you cant beat the price, I also modded my stock bar ends to fit them as I can feel a difference with them on and off, I am 5'6 and have no problems reaching the bars, I have been on a few 300 mile+ rides with them in the twistys and wish I did this a long time ago. and you are not lowering the bike by much at all but you do feel the difference during turn in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clip ons 011.jpg (104.1 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg clip ons 004.jpg (79.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg my ride 009.jpg (85.5 KB, 71 views)

Old January 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM   #21
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

I like how those KTC looks a lot but I'm concerned about the down sweep. Why is that there? To lower the rider? Does it change the way the bike feels? I don't think the stock bars have a downward sweep like that?

In my experience with bicycles, changing he sweep of the handlebars can have dramatic effects?
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM   #22
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I like how those KTC looks a lot but I'm concerned about the down sweep. Why is that there? To lower the rider? Does it change the way the bike feels? I don't think the stock bars have a downward sweep like that?

In my experience with bicycles, changing he sweep of the handlebars can have dramatic effects?
I do not have a negative effect with the ktc clip-on's at all most sport bike have this same sweep, it gives you a better position on the bike for a better feel of the road the bike and you can tuck in better , there is no clearance issue with them either.

Old January 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM   #23
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Sweet.
I think those are the ones I will get when the time comes.
Thanks man. They look great on your ride. =)
Dig your windscreen too.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2010, 06:36 PM   #24
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

When you get a chance, can you show a side-profile of the whole bike as well as the clearance on full lock? Thanks! Your bike looks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_sema View Post
the KTC clip-on's are a lot lighter then the stock bars, and I would think that you would want the clip-on's to snap or brake or twist in a fall so you do not damage your triple or forks. I have the Ktc and I like the look over the woodcraft and you cant beat the price, I also modded my stock bar ends to fit them as I can feel a difference with them on and off, I am 5'6 and have no problems reaching the bars, I have been on a few 300 mile+ rides with them in the twistys and wish I did this a long time ago. and you are not lowering the bike by much at all but you do feel the difference during turn in
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 1st, 2010, 10:37 PM   #25
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betlog View Post
When you get a chance, can you show a side-profile of the whole bike as well as the clearance on full lock? Thanks! Your bike looks great.
sure

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:50 AM   #26
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

my bad for the bad pics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250rpics 001.jpg (74.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 250rpics 004.jpg (77.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 250rpics 006.jpg (82.1 KB, 70 views)

Old January 2nd, 2010, 07:51 AM   #27
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

and thanks Whylee for the idea

Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:25 AM   #28
whylee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
and thanks Whylee for the idea
Your welcome, those caps really make it look much better.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:32 AM   #29
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

yes they do I have been looking around for something to put up there to cover the forks but just couldn't find anything I dident even think of the caps from the frame

Old January 2nd, 2010, 08:35 AM   #30
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

hey whylee do you plan on puting a damper on your race bike

Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:50 AM   #31
whylee
ninjette.org member

Quote:
hey whylee do you plan on puting a damper on your race bike
Yes I do, I just need to see what is out there for it.

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM   #32
Choter
ninjette.org member

Name: Haddie

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

can you put a picture to show how close to the tank they come at full lock. Those pictures only show the windscreen side, thanks!
Choter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM   #33
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
+1 I agree 100%. I wish this was the first mod I did on my motorcycle. The handling has improved drastically IMO. maybe it is because I have been riding with the stock bars for over a year
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 6th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
So i've installed the woodcraft clipons and WOW what a difference! you really do feel stretched out a lot more than stock. one thing I wasn't expecting was how much wider your arms are compared to stock. i must say, i love it! these and the new woodcraft rearsets really make the ninjette feel much more secure leaning it over in turns, and the wider grip really makes side-to-side transitions much smoother and easier.
they were pretty easy to put together and install... getting them set just right probably took the longest, but probably didn't take longer than an hour including ride-test-time... total install time was a little under 2 hours.

Old April 25th, 2010, 05:48 AM   #35
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Where can I get black KTCs?
TmP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 06:56 AM   #36
QuarterBoreNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): Why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmP View Post
Where can I get black KTCs?

http://www.sportisimoto-usa.com/accessories.php
QuarterBoreNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #37
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Wow, they have a lot of neat stuff!!!

Ignition added to the list of must haves
14k here we go!
TmP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #38
KTRacing38
2010 250 Cup Champion

Name: Kristy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R and 2007 Honda CR150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pete View Post
If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get the woodcrafts at for only $140? Thanks.
Bayside Performance has them on sale right now:

Bayside Performance USA

Bayside Performance Canada
KTRacing38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:42 PM   #39
natek
ninjette.org member

Name: nathan

Motorcycle(s): Honda Ruckus

i think i've decided on the woodcraft set. jw if anyone has had problems with them hitting the fairings or windscreen or anything else.
natek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 14th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #40
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
there's only about 1cm clearance when set correctly. if you don't setup your brake lines correctly they'll rub on the top