ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:43 AM   #1
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Got a helmet? Wear a hat. Thats what they do.

Hey riders.
This is more of a just venting post for me. I the other day I was driving down one of the more dangerous 3 lane roads near my house and saw a motorcyclist. He had beautiful bike which was blue (my favorite color) and a nice helmet which had to be a more expensive one. But the only thing his helmet was protecting was the side of his bike. He on the other hand found that a had would do the job in the even of a crash. Although I'll admit it was a nice hat, I wondered how nice it would be after he got a head injury.

Bottom line? Got a bike and a helmet? Wear the helmet. I know we all want to protect our bikes when it goes down, but giving it the helmet to wear isnt really going to help. Be safe guys.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:47 AM   #2
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Amen brother. A helmet won't do any good hanging on the side of the bike.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:56 AM   #3
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

Yeah I've seen people riding around town with their helmets in their helmet locks. I don't understand why they wouldn't wear it if they had it there.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM   #4
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousD View Post
Amen brother. A helmet won't do any good hanging on the side of the bike.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM   #5
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Not all motorcyclists are meant to survive.. let people do what they want and hike up the insurance rate for the rest.. that's freedom, baby... you want your freedom, you got it.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:27 AM   #6
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

how do guys who ride with no helmet or glasses keep from tearing up. at about 65 for me it gets so bad I cant see.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM   #7
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
how do guys who ride with no helmet or glasses keep from tearing up. at about 65 for me it gets so bad I cant see.
I've always wondered that too!

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM   #8
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Helmets are for girls. You keep it on the bike so if you pick up a girl she wears it.

Do I have to explain everything!

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:47 AM   #9
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
We get a quite a few rastafi riders here in Barbados that wear the helmets on top of their dreads. I find it hysterical. A for effort I guess . . .

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I could care less what other people do. Not wearing a helmet is just Darwin's way of getting stupid people out of the gene pool.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM   #11
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

don't bring darwin into this dude. strictly speaking, given car or bike, the safer option is the cage.
heylookitsfranco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM   #12
RedCromwell
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250

I'm always thankful for my helmet when a rock, or a bug for that matter, smacks my face shield.
RedCromwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #13
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsfranco View Post
don't bring darwin into this dude. strictly speaking, given car or bike, the safer option is the cage.
And the safest option is never leaving your house!

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:53 PM   #14
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Haha, I don't know, my eyes tear up when I run on the track

Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:14 PM   #15
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSR View Post
And the safest option is never leaving your house!
Not if you want to reproduce outside of your own gene pool.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:57 AM   #16
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgrande View Post
Haha, I don't know, my eyes tear up when I run on the track
Crying doesn't count

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinorbit View Post
Not if you want to reproduce outside of your own gene pool.
That's how aids started. Leave the monkeys alone.

Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:05 PM   #17
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Yeah I always wear my helmet. I wear my bicycle helmet when I head out on the bike. Only thing, it is designed to allow a lot of ventilation, only problem with that is when a bee or wasp decides to aim right for a vent. If you ever see a cyclist shaking their head side to side, most likely a bee just flew into their bonnet.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:08 PM   #18
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Crying doesn't count

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:11 PM   #19
SSR
ninjette.org guru

You know, I just don't get the whole "not wearing a helmet". Up here in Canada, it's a federal law you have to wear a motorcycle helmet. So I have to wear one under law. But even then, when I think about how much money I've put into my brain through University, courses, personal reading, why would I not want to spend an extra $300 to the huge list amount of money I've already spent?

That, and a helmet provides many other non-safety benefits, such as being able to ride in a pouring down rainstorm, riding when it's -4C (I think that's around 28F), bug deflector and a microphone/speaker mount. Makes sense to me why I'd wear one!

Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM   #20
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I agree with all of you. It really does make no sense. Down here in florida you have to have one on by law unless you have good insurance that has thousands of dollars worth of coverage. Which still makes no sense. The other day coming home from the beach we got pulled over at a stop light as cops were walking in and out of traffic and the driver of the SUV (my friend) was told to pull in a gas station because she didnt have her seatbelt on. Luckily the guy gave us a break on a hundred and ninety dollar ticket and gave her a ticket for not being able to produce insurance which can be waived if she shows the DMV. But if u in a 4 wheeled vehicle which is enclosed and much safer then a motorcycle, and are required to wear a seatbelt so you dont go flying through the window and kill yourself, why shouldnt you be required to wear a helmet so you dont go flying and killing yourself? Its the same concept and its all about safety. I guess we're a little lacking with laws considering motorcycles.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:07 PM   #21
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

I remember pulling into the BRC parking lot on the first day of riding practice, right behind the R1 with the non-functional brake lights and the helmet hanging off the side.
RhinoJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:14 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
You know, I just don't get the whole "not wearing a helmet". Up here in Canada, it's a federal law you have to wear a motorcycle helmet. So I have to wear one under law. But even then, when I think about how much money I've put into my brain through University, courses, personal reading, why would I not want to spend an extra $300 to the huge list amount of money I've already spent?

That, and a helmet provides many other non-safety benefits, such as being able to ride in a pouring down rainstorm, riding when it's -4C (I think that's around 28F), bug deflector and a microphone/speaker mount. Makes sense to me why I'd wear one!
It may not be federal law in The States but most states do require them. Most of us live in such states and it seems weired to us too... like a PSA that isn't needed, but I can understand that it is needed in some places (like FL).
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #23
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
I agree with all of you. It really does make no sense. Down here in florida you have to have one on by law unless you have good insurance that has thousands of dollars worth of coverage. Which still makes no sense. The other day coming home from the beach we got pulled over at a stop light as cops were walking in and out of traffic and the driver of the SUV (my friend) was told to pull in a gas station because she didnt have her seatbelt on. Luckily the guy gave us a break on a hundred and ninety dollar ticket and gave her a ticket for not being able to produce insurance which can be waived if she shows the DMV. But if u in a 4 wheeled vehicle which is enclosed and much safer then a motorcycle, and are required to wear a seatbelt so you dont go flying through the window and kill yourself, why shouldnt you be required to wear a helmet so you dont go flying and killing yourself? Its the same concept and its all about safety. I guess we're a little lacking with laws considering motorcycles.
You shouldn't be required to wear either a seatbelt or a helmet. If you have no regard for your own well being, it's none of Johnny Law's business. This nanny state crap is getting out of hand.

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:56 AM   #24
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
You shouldn't be required to wear either a seatbelt or a helmet. If you have no regard for your own well being, it's none of Johnny Law's business. This nanny state crap is getting out of hand.
Hey, I'm down with that up until the point my taxpayer dollars are going to pay for your healthcare. As soon as you start dipping into my wallet to pay for your crash, all bets are off and I want to make sure you are wearing a dang helmet.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #25
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Lets be honest, you crash w/o a helmet you're not going to be needing any healthcare.

Old April 5th, 2011, 03:07 PM   #26
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Hey, I'm down with that up until the point my taxpayer dollars are going to pay for your healthcare. As soon as you start dipping into my wallet to pay for your crash, all bets are off and I want to make sure you are wearing a dang helmet.
Exactly. There was a court case up here in Canada where some religous motorcycle riders didn't want to wear a helmet because it would force them to take off their turbin. That's fine, religous freedom and all that, but when MY taxes are paying for YOUR choices not to wear a helmet, heh, I take exception to religous beliefs*. I don't care if you go riding without a helmet, but you should sacrifice your free medicare that my taxes pay for.

*Not trying to get into any religous discussions here.

Old April 5th, 2011, 07:34 PM   #27
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

Quote:
Exactly. There was a court case up here in Canada where some religous motorcycle riders didn't want to wear a helmet because it would force them to take off their turbin. That's fine, religous freedom and all that, but when MY taxes are paying for YOUR choices not to wear a helmet, heh, I take exception to religous beliefs*. I don't care if you go riding without a helmet, but you should sacrifice your free medicare that my taxes pay for.

*Not trying to get into any religous discussions here.
They screwed with the Mounties uniforms whereby a badge is placed on the front of a turbin in the late 1980's. Now u are telling me they want exceptions to the helmet laws! God when will this all stop and they go back to their turbin lovin countries instead of messin with north American cultures. Seems no one has told them that helmets are far sexier than turbs flyin around in the wind. "amen"
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Two counter-arguments. The first is it's a slippery slope applied against any other health choice that people freely make that affects others. While some cities have banned transfats, and mandate putting calorie labels on fast food, we still don't mandate anyone eat healthy. Or exercise. Or do practically anything to improve their health and minimize the amount of dollars we the taxpayer need to subsidize their healthcare, when the most predictable of outcomes occurs (diabetes, heart problems, you name it). By the very nature of society, we are all in it together. Stating that others need to make the same choices you would because we all pay for it doesn't hold up in many (or even most) examples.

Second argument is more cynical. There has been no published study that shows data that helmet use really will save money. Treating serious motorcycle accident victims is expensive. It's much cheaper for the state (i.e., everyone else) if the victim dies outright, rather than requiring hundreds of thousands of dollars of specialist care. If it really is about the money, show how keeping people barely alive instead of dead when the helmet is the one thing that saved their life, truly saves money of others.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #29
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

I've been living in Florida since 1996... There aren't as many brains to protect down here.

I see these idiots all the time here in Orlando. Usually, there are 2 kinds of helmetless riders we get:
1. The leather clad cruiser guys. Even in summer, black leather... With tassles and fringes. Evidently road rash on your arm is bad, but cracking open your melon is OK! Loud pipes or not, I saw one of the retards get run over, bike and all, at Daytona Bike week 2 years ago. They were going about 10 MPH at the time... with no helmet. I didn't stick around for the aftermath (going the opposite direction) but that dude wasn't getting up. Bouncing your head off tarmac in a 5 foot drop will do that to you.
2. The squids. We all know and love 'em! 120 HP, high revving, limiter bouncing retards (see, more!) that are weaving through traffic 40 MPH faster than anyone else. Well, not weaving, just steering in between two cars, throttling it up and hauling on the brakes to slowly change lanes cutting off the next inattentive tourist. Evidently, not wearing a helmet makes you incapable of handing your mad wild GXXR, y0! However, as pointed out, 9/10 times there is a helmet hanging on the side of the bike. It's there to collect road dust (yummy) and scratch the side of the bike where it rubs. Neato! Sooner or later they'll get smushed under a minivan, maybe they can register as a helmet donor?

Seriously, I don't ever get on my bike expecting to go for a ride and crash. But... it happens. I've dropped a bike (lowside in the snow) and it sucked. But I had a helmet on, and even though I bounced off the pavement, I walked away literally with a few scratches. Even though I don't expect to wreck, I do expect to pelted by bugs, road debris, and sand/dirt/dust etc. Taking a dragonfly to the face at 60 MPH? Not me, I'd rather clean the helmet than explain the welt to everyone that asks. Also, I avoid sunburn (hey, it's hot here) and have terrific tinted coverage from bright days. It also muffles some of the wind and other noise. It's not just safety, but a comfort issue as well.

All that said... I think helmet use and seat belt use should be voluntary for anyone over 18. You're an adult, make your own call. I wear both (not at the same time, unless I'm racing in the car) but if it's not your thing, more power to you!

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #30
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Two counter-arguments. The first is it's a slippery slope applied against any other health choice that people freely make that affects others. While some cities have banned transfats, and mandate putting calorie labels on fast food, we still don't mandate anyone eat healthy. Or exercise. Or do practically anything to improve their health and minimize the amount of dollars we the taxpayer need to subsidize their healthcare, when the most predictable of outcomes occurs (diabetes, heart problems, you name it). By the very nature of society, we are all in it together. Stating that others need to make the same choices you would because we all pay for it doesn't hold up in many (or even most) examples.
And that's a very valid and fair point. I go skiing, I do jumps (small ones) (I also wear a helmet everytime I'm on the slope) and I imagine all the non-skiiers would make the same argument. Why should I pay for someone to engage in a sport such as skiing? But then we can bring in the smokers. Why should I (as a non-smoker) pay your health care when they get lung cancer. But I also eat fast food (and although I'm in excellent physical shape), in general, why should someone who's healthy pay for someone who has diabetis because they over ate.

So I totally see where you are coming from. However, I think the line that is drawn is that motorcycling is by it's very nature more dangerous than eating a hamburger. You could get on a motorcycle for the first time and be hit and killed. It'll take a lot of cheeseburgers for you to die of fat. So I think the immediate risk is what is the defining line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Second argument is more cynical. There has been no published study that shows data that helmet use really will save money. Treating serious motorcycle accident victims is expensive. It's much cheaper for the state (i.e., everyone else) if the victim dies outright, rather than requiring hundreds of thousands of dollars of specialist care. If it really is about the money, show how keeping people barely alive instead of dead when the helmet is the one thing that saved their life, truly saves money of others.
True. No politician will ever say that, but it is true. It's cheaper for someone to be dead then on life support. But using that same logic, it'd probably be easier for car crash victims to be ejected from the front seat of a head-on collision and die hitting the pavement then surviving by wearing a seat belt.

Old April 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #31
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

I love my helmet. I popped it on the other day, just because I missed it during the off-season.