ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

12,000 miles and my first mod

Thats right, I have 12,000 miles on my Ninjette! 98% of them is just from work and back since it is my commuter bike, and the first mod I am having done is a new chain with a little taller gearing so that I can squeeze any and all milage out of it.
Going from stock to a 14/??, I can't remember what the last number was cause I was so excited!!
Any thoughts, comment or concerns from you all?
Little Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2
lamchops
ಠ_ಠ

Name: Janelle

Motorcycle(s): current newbie stick is a loaner :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Green Machine View Post
Thats right, I have 12,000 miles on my Ninjette! 98% of them is just from work and back since it is my commuter bike, and the first mod I am having done is a new chain with a little taller gearing so that I can squeeze any and all milage out of it.
Going from stock to a 14/??, I can't remember what the last number was cause I was so excited!!
Any thoughts, comment or concerns from you all?
I'm curious about gearing changes. (haven't heard anything about the chain before though)
A good 95% of 'my' ninjette's use is around town too and now that i've been riding long enough to notice things that i like or could be better, i'm absolutely -hating- 1st gear

Old June 18th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #3
EvilPooMonkey
ninjette.org guru

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 :)

glad your bike is holding up awesome. had mine 2 months and already put 1700 on it :P id day half mine is from work and the other half is my new found addiction to being on two wheels interested in finding out that second number myself cuz i'm trying to get into paramedic school but the closest place they teach it is 45 minutes away :P
EvilPooMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM   #4
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

12,000 miles and no mods! wow...maybe it's just me, but I can't stand anything I own being and looking stock....call me an attention whore, but I like to be as unique as possible. Anyway,...I was under the impression that increasing the front sprocket by +1 (i.e. 15T) gave more millage and a more usable first gear as opposed to increasing the teeth on the rear sprocket, which gives more torque but less top end...
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 18th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

According to my guys at the shop, dropping one in the front and adding more in the back makes the top end better, and going the opposite way makes the torque better.
I asked if I was going to dog out from a light, and he told me no, cause the little 250 engine has plenty of torque for the mod to keep it from being a dog off the line. He said I would see a longer time between shifts...

Old June 18th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Renner
Ignoring Jiggles

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 Ninja 250R (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthioKnight View Post
12,000 miles and no mods! wow...maybe it's just me, but I can't stand anything I own being and looking stock....call me an attention whore, but I like to be as unique as possible.
Not just you man...I have had my new gen for exactly 3 days and I already have a new exhaust coming in the mail Went with the Delkevic DS70...Cant wait!!
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:19 AM   #7
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

Dropping teeth on the front and/or adding teeth on the back gears the bike lower. Adding teeth to the front or dropping teeth on the back gears your bike higher. Changing 1 tooth on the front is roughly the same as changing 3 teeth on the back.

Old June 19th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #8
EtienneDP
ninjette.org member

Name: Etienne

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 FI

My 2009 hit 25000km's yesterday. I changed to 15/43 from 14/43 at the 24000 service and Im very happy with the performance. She's now doing about 900rpm less in sixth gear at the same speeds as before, 130km/h now sees her cruising along at 8500rpm and there's no need to drop a gear on uphill's. Fuel consumtion around town is slightly better too
EtienneDP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamchops View Post
I'm curious about gearing changes. (haven't heard anything about the chain before though)
A good 95% of 'my' ninjette's use is around town too and now that i've been riding long enough to notice things that i like or could be better, i'm absolutely -hating- 1st gear
I will let you know exactly what happens after the work is done, I would be happy to share all info with you and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Ninjette View Post
Dropping teeth on the front and/or adding teeth on the back gears the bike lower. Adding teeth to the front or dropping teeth on the back gears your bike higher. Changing 1 tooth on the front is roughly the same as changing 3 teeth on the back.
Your right, I had that backwards as usual.

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #10
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Name: Byron

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250 1990

Quote:
I will let you know exactly what happens after the work is done, I would be happy to share all info with you and everyone else.

Your right, I had that backwards as usual.
your in AZ too yay. and i have 15 front and 42 back and i love it. Pretty nice on the I-10 and other freeways. also can use my 1st gear alot more. Good luck

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMSRacer07 View Post
your in AZ too yay. and i have 15 front and 42 back and i love it. Pretty nice on the I-10 and other freeways. also can use my 1st gear alot more. Good luck
Yup, not too far north of you either. I told the guys at the shop what I wanted and they said they could do it, I just wasnt entirely sure which way the gearing would have to go. <---NOOB!

I do a lot of travel down the 202 from work to home, a little more than half the trip, and the rest is open roads with not a lot of stoplights between, so this made a lot more sense to me to do it.

Hey, what are "Winterwings"?

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #12
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Yup, not too far north of you either. I told the guys at the shop what I wanted and they said they could do it, I just wasnt entirely sure which way the gearing would have to go. <---NOOB!

I do a lot of travel down the 202 from work to home, a little more than half the trip, and the rest is open roads with not a lot of stoplights between, so this made a lot more sense to me to do it.
Its all good. Yea the 15 gear up front is def a good idea and helps with gas mileage too

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Hey, what are "Winterwings"? And why arent there more people in our area not on the maps? I have seen countless numbers of Ninjettes in my home area alone, surely they have heard of Ninjette.Org?

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #14
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hey, what are "Winterwings"? And why arent there more people in our area not on the maps? I have seen countless numbers of Ninjettes in my home area alone, surely they have heard of Ninjette.Org?
Winterwings are what Mike makes, makes aftermarket windsheilds and accs. Winterwings go on the pregen ninjas that go on the mirrors that shield your hands from the winter wind. They really do help.

And idk i have seen alot of ninjas down here in tucson and even at motorcycle meets and most of them dont even check the forums.

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #15
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Send me a pic of the winterwings would you? I rode last winter up here, and the wind was down right freaking cold on the hands! They could be the next thing i add to the L.G.M.

Old June 19th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #16
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Send me a pic of the winterwings would you? I rode last winter up here, and the wind was down right freaking cold on the hands! They could be the next thing i add to the L.G.M.
idk if they work on the newgen models. might idk if they would work the same too. never know.

http://www.mikesshields.com/

here is his website. you could ask if they work bc as long as the mirror holes are the same the would work. idk lol. and yeah winters here can be killer on the hangs.

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #17
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

I checked it out, not sure if they will mount right, may have to get crafty with this one, but what a great idea. I was wondering if those "brush guards" for the enduros and dirts would work too? Don't they just clamp on to the clutch and brake levers?

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #18
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I checked it out, not sure if they will mount right, may have to get crafty with this one, but what a great idea. I was wondering if those "brush guards" for the enduros and dirts would work too? Don't they just clamp on to the clutch and brake levers?
yeah those would work. alot of ppl like the brand called Hippo Hands.

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #19
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

DOH! those things are hideous, i would be better off getting some snowmobile mittens!!! LOL

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #20
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
DOH! those things are hideous, i would be better off getting some snowmobile mittens!!! LOL
haha thats why i liked the winter wings they didnt look bad on the bike. ha. or wear some nice winter gloves lol.

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #21
MikeJames21
ninjette.org member

Name: MIKE

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r, passion red

12k and first mod. your bike hates you. it wants to breath and exhale and everything else. how could you ride for so long and do nothing to it??
different stroke for different folks i guess..

Old June 19th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJames21 View Post
12k and first mod. your bike hates you. it wants to breath and exhale and everything else. how could you ride for so long and do nothing to it??
different stroke for different folks i guess..
LOL, no it dont hate me, it love me! Money is the root of all evil here, you gotta have it to use it on farkles! Just bought new house, so additons to bike are, just when needed at this time. But thanks for pointing out love/hate relationship with my L.G.M!

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #23
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

I do have another question: I have the original air filter on my bike, the kind you have to oil, and I was wondering what was a better, if not easier alternative to having to oil it? Maybe a paper filter or something? It is a new gen model.

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #24
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I do have another question: I have the original air filter on my bike, the kind you have to oil, and I was wondering what was a better, if not easier alternative to having to oil it? Maybe a paper filter or something? It is a new gen model.
get K&N pods save room and easy to take out and clean.

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #25
MikeJames21
ninjette.org member

Name: MIKE

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r, passion red

Then you need to jet carbs, so might a well get an exhaust too. Go fast goodies
Posted via Mobile Device
MikeJames21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #26
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Pods? I looked on their site and there wasnt any mention of pods. What are they called exactly?

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #27
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJames21 View Post
Then you need to jet carbs, so might a well get an exhaust too. Go fast goodies
Posted via Mobile Device
get pods and exhaust and he is good to go to jet it and be done with it

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #28
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Using their lookup chart, they have a paper filter that just replaces the one i have, is that what your talking about?

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #29
EMSRacer07
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Using their lookup chart, they have a paper filter that just replaces the one i have, is that what your talking about?
Single pod R-0990

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=R-0990

Old June 19th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #30
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Ok, i found it, thanks for your help!

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #31
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Ok, so I thought i would update you all on the modifications to my Ninjette. The stock 14/45 sprockets have been changed and I went with a 14/42 setup along with a new chain.
I was really surprised at how the bike seemed so different with just that little change to the gearing. I have a long first gear and lower RPM's thru the shift pattern, as well as being able to get 70 MPH at 7800 RPM versus 70 MPH at 8500 RPM. I will have to admit, it may take me a little while to get used to it while I track mileage on a full tank, but I love it so far!