ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 5th, 2009, 03:32 AM   #1
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

Keeping the bike cooler...

Amazingly in the UK we're having hot weather (for us!) - about 80 - 90 F here most of this week and I was windering what are the best mods you guys in hotter climates have found of keeping your bikes cool... I commute to work about 6 miles accross the city and have noticed the bike getting hotter on the hot days (funny that eh?...) with the temp guage creeping into the top 1/4... I filter (lane split) when I can to keep moving and keep the airflowing over the engine but my skills in this area need some work.. lol

I was coming home from work the other day and it was really hot and as I left work the rain started to really hammer down and then as I was sat at a junction about a mile and a half from work I noticed what I thought was smoke coming off the engine As I couldn't smell anything I concluded it must be steam ... something which various people have since confirmed - has that ever happened to anyone?

Old July 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Whenever I get cought in a downpour I usualy notice steam coming from the engine. Water usualy gets splashed on top of the engine and steams up. No harm though this is normal.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 07:24 AM   #3
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by zail View Post
with the temp guage creeping into the top 1/4...
you have a temp gauge?

When I am stuck in traffic or have to ride really slow for a while, I can hear/feel the fan kick on for a little while. If your bike is getting hot and the fan isn't running, check that out to see if it is working properly.

nb

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #4
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjabrewer View Post
you have a temp gauge?
Do the European 2008+ bikes have a temp gauge, or is this a pre-2008 bike?

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #5
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

so they are FI and has a temp gauge? What about gas gauge?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #6
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Mine runs a bit hot right now, but the temps are over 100+F (38C). I can feel the heat both on my legs as the airflow moves and build under the seat. I am thinking of adding the spare oil cooler I have to try and keep the motor a little cooler.

If your temps are only temporary, don't worry about a long term fix as it could cause the bike to not fully warm up when it cools off. In my case, the temps will be like this until early-middle of October.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Do the European 2008+ bikes have a temp gauge, or is this a pre-2008 bike?
European ninja 250 08-09 are fuel injected...They have a temp gauge instead of a gas gauge...
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #8
zail
ninjette.org member

Yep, we have temp gauge and no petrol gauge... thanks for advice .. need to check out the fan I guess!

Old July 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM   #9
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I suppose some of the bikes over here could be running as hot as yours, but we just wouldn't know since there is no gauge.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2009, 03:50 AM   #10
zail
ninjette.org member

Ah yes.. good point Nick ... lol...

Old July 6th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #11
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
European ninja 250 08-09 are fuel injected...They have a temp gauge instead of a gas gauge...
I see said the blind man, I see.

nb

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #12
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

It may help you to switch out your coolant for the season to just distilled water, or water wetter. You can also replace some of your coolant with water wetter..mixing the two will help lower temperatures still

maybe this link will help: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23131
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #13
delvey91
Fuel Injection FTW

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Old:2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R New:99 ZX6R 'G2'

I used to commute 20 miles to college and going through town the temp needle used to be all over the place. Stop at some lights for about 3 mins and it would be right up near the red and the fan cut in. Move off and it would go right down to below half again. Never seemed to be a problem though

Got: Powerbronze Irdium Screen, Powerbronze Rear Hugger, A.R.T Racing Slip on can
delvey91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #14
robb08
ninjette.org newbie

Name: rob

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarchoMoltov View Post
I want a temp gauge...
robb08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Here you go!

http://wiki.ninjette.org/DIY_Daytona_Water_Temp_Gauge

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2009, 11:35 PM   #16
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

Quote:
Amazingly in the UK we're having hot weather (for us!) - about 80 - 90 F here most of this week and I was windering what are the best mods you guys in hotter climates have found of keeping your bikes cool... I commute to work about 6 miles accross the city and have noticed the bike getting hotter on the hot days (funny that eh?...) with the temp guage creeping into the top 1/4... I filter (lane split) when I can to keep moving and keep the airflowing over the engine but my skills in this area need some work.. lol

I was coming home from work the other day and it was really hot and as I left work the rain started to really hammer down and then as I was sat at a junction about a mile and a half from work I noticed what I thought was smoke coming off the engine As I couldn't smell anything I concluded it must be steam ... something which various people have since confirmed - has that ever happened to anyone?

Don’t worry the fan on mine does not start up until the needle is almost in the red.

Steve

Old July 10th, 2009, 12:59 AM   #17
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Hmm, I wouldn't worry about it unless you hit red (then pull over IMMEDIATELY). I only notice it come on when I turn the bike off at times...not sure why.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #18
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

My fan rarely comes on and when it does it is only for a few minutes. I just assumed that most 250cc bikes are air cooled, so the liquid cooled system is pretty efficient and it only takes a minute for the fan to cool the engine down to where is should be.

Old July 13th, 2009, 04:08 PM   #19
Wes
ninjette.org member

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): EX250-F14

g21-30: Water does not boil at 212 degrees F when it is in a pressurized container, such as a radiator. That's why pressure cookers were all the rage before microwaves, you could make the water hotter and stuff would cook faster. Did you that KFC uses a modified high-pressure cooker full of grease to cook your chicken? MMMmmmmmM!

Anyhow, a 15PSI increase raises the boiling point of pure water to 250F. I'm pretty sure the Ninja has a 15PSI rad cap.

Lowering the operating temperature is also not wise. There is a reason they set the thermostat where they do: the hotter the engine, the better the fuel atomizes, the better the fuel burns, and many other good things. Engine temperature is set at around 190F to maximize those effects while preventing part deformation, coolant boiling (which means it no longer cools) while leaving some headroom.

The OP does not need to worry about his enjine temperature unless his gauge shows red. If it EVER shows red, he either:

a) has a problem with the cooling system such as a blocked passage or air pocket
b) has a defective radiator
c) the ambient temperature is well above 40C (104F) and he is not moving

Also, the 50-50 antifreeze mixture is far more important for anti-freezing purposes. It does little to promote cooling, pure water with a drop or few of dish soap probably does a better job. On the other hand, pure water will seriously mess up your engine if it ever freezes...

Wes
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #20
zail
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post

The OP does not need to worry about his enjine temperature unless his gauge shows red. If it EVER shows red, he either:

a) has a problem with the cooling system such as a blocked passage or air pocket
b) has a defective radiator
c) the ambient temperature is well above 40C (104F) and he is not moving

Wes
Cheers Wes (and everyone else!) that's what I needed to know (Luckily the chances of the ambient temps here reaching 40C are very slim...)

Old July 14th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
SLP offers this 160º thermostat for all LS1/LS2/LS3/LS6/LS7 2004-08 Corvettes/2005-06 GTO/2004-06 (2007 Classic) Full Size Trucks/SUV's equipped with 4.8/5.3L/ 6.0L engines along with 2006 Trailblazer SS and 2008 Pontiac G8. These low-temp thermostats dramatically reduce operating temperatures, while increasing thermal efficiency and your engine's performance in the process. Racers know that a cooler running engine is a better performing engine. This new thermostat replaces the factory unit, allowing coolant to circulate at lower engine temperatures, keeping the engine cooler. Not legal for use on pollution controlled vehicles.
This makes no sense to me. A lower temp thermostat does absolutely nothing to improve the cooling ability of the radiator. All a thermostat controls is the minimum operating temperature of the motor. It does this by limiting flow to the radiator until the temp approaches the desired operating temp, then letting the flow open once the temp has reached the appropriate level, and as long as the temp remains there it will stay open.

So here's what I don't get. Sure, if the radiator is capable enough (and I'm sure that it is), in normal conditions cruising down the highway that 160 degree thermostat will allow the engine to stay right at that temp. It will in fact be running cooler than it would have with the standard thermostat, as its minimum operating temp to open to full flow is lower.

But that does nothing to improve the "performance" of that motor. If you're just cruising along, you're making 50 hp at most, not using any real performance from the motor. If you actually start using any performance of the motor (higher speed runs, track day, drag strip, whatever), the engine temp will go much higher than that minimum, and once it does the engine temp is solely determined by this: (amount of heat produced by engine - amount of heat removed by radiator). The effectiveness of the radiator once its flow is open has zero to do with the thermostat and everything to do with the surface area and efficiency of the radiator itself.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #22
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
This makes no sense to me. A lower temp thermostat does absolutely nothing to improve the cooling ability of the radiator. All a thermostat controls is the minimum operating temperature of the motor. It does this by limiting flow to the radiator until the temp approaches the desired operating temp, then letting the flow open once the temp has reached the appropriate level, and as long as the temp remains there it will stay open.

So here's what I don't get. Sure, if the radiator is capable enough (and I'm sure that it is), in normal conditions cruising down the highway that 160 degree thermostat will allow the engine to stay right at that temp. It will in fact be running cooler than it would have with the standard thermostat, as its minimum operating temp to open to full flow is lower.

But that does nothing to improve the "performance" of that motor. If you're just cruising along, you're making 50 hp at most, not using any real performance from the motor. If you actually start using any performance of the motor (higher speed runs, track day, drag strip, whatever), the engine temp will go much higher than that minimum, and once it does the engine temp is solely determined by this: (amount of heat produced by engine - amount of heat removed by radiator). The effectiveness of the radiator once its flow is open has zero to do with the thermostat and everything to do with the surface area and efficiency of the radiator itself.
You have a point, but a lot of people with LS1's add a manual fan switch and swap the radiator for a better performing and lighter one too. I did with my T/A before I sold it. Before I made this mod My T/A would often get as hot as 230 and after the better radiator my temp dropped to about 200. I don't know if the thermostat did much, but it was cheep. Since the LS1 has a reverse flow system. the thermostat is triggered by the already cooled water comming from the radiator. This means that your running temp is always going to be a lot higher than your thermostat rating. Nasty stuff if you ask me, but the reverse flow also passes coolant by the heads first so it helps prevent knockinging in such a high compression engine (suposidly).

Plus remember SLP wants to sell the thing. Ofcourse they are going to exagerate its benefits.

Man I miss my T/A

Old July 14th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

All of that sounds fine, there may be benefits under light load to running the engine cooler than the factory says to, and a recommendation of a 160 degree tstat on the Hemi's might very well be accurate. But they aren't performance benefits, as once you start using any of that real performance of the engine the thermostat just doesn't matter.

Old July 14th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #24
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Actually, the ROT (Rule of Thumb) is that the coolant operating temp is roughly 20 degrees higher than the thermostat rating. Thus 160=180, .... 190=210.... 195=215 .....
I dont buy that....... unless it's like 100 deg out
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #25
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:

If your coolant level is good and your fan is functioning properly (coming on, dropping the temp then turning off) then you're fine.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #26
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I don't think that bolded section shows what you're trying to say. It doesn't say that the vehicle will run at 20 degrees higher than its rating. It says that the thermostat will be fully open at 20 degrees higher than its rating. The vehicle may very well stabilize at a temperature somewhere between its rating and 20 degrees north of that rating, with the thermostat partially open. Depends on outside temperature, radiator size, current engine load, and a number of other factors. Can the vehicle stabilize at exactly the temperature where the thermostat goes fully open? Sure. But it's no guarantee that it will.

Old July 14th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #27
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
For you, I will provide one reference:

Thermostats will begin to open at their rated temperature and are fully open about 20°F higher,
I'll buy the fully open part(not what you mentioned 1st), but not that said vehicle will be running 20deg hotter than the thermostat. < Unless it's hot as hell out
My car & R1 runs at 160, 163 for the bike. The 250r has 160 stat in it also, but I have no clue what its running at.
For computer controled cars, you have watch out with the 160deg stat. Sometimes it's too low for the ecm to get into open loop.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote