ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 11th, 2009, 04:42 PM   #1
Nny
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): Yamaha R6 (street), GSXR 750 (track) and a Harley FXDB

Soupy's Performance

So, my girl had bought soupy's performance lowering links. Propped up the bike, got the stock links off and come to find out, they don't fit.

They rub up against the suspension, making it incapable to turn or adjust. Cannot tighten the bolts flush. I also had to lower the bike so much to even get them on, I couldn't pull the lift out from underneath the bike. So I guess I have to go against the instructions and adjust before I put them on again...

A few emails later, they are confident I have the right links. They are saying Kawasaki had changed a few parts mid production which make the links a hit and miss on whether or not it will work without any mods. They suggest getting longer bolts and some washers to get them on.

So my question here is:
What size bolts should I be looking for. Just got back from the hardware store and they didn't have anything close. I will try another tomorrow. Maybe the dealer will have the size I am loking for? They are closed now otherwise I would have called already.

Soupy's seemed to be exactly what we are looking for. Adjustable so I can have it stock height and easily lowered for when she wants to take it out without having to put it on the lift every couple of hours.

Previous rides: Ninja 650, Ninja 250, Goldwing and a Nightster
Nny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #2
Nny
ninjette.org member

Nevermind, I think I have it. 12mm...and I think 4 1/2 long.
Lowe's and home depot don't have anything that works. *sigh*
This is going to be tough trying to find something that fits length and diameter while still working with the lowering links.

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #3
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Zach, the problem is that the links were designed for the pregen and not updated for the new gen

Old July 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Nny
ninjette.org member

That was part of my argument with this guy at soupy's I have been talking to. Even the web site shows a different part than what I have but he says the picture on the site was for the pre-gens and what I have is for the new gens. Seems like I am getting the run around. I don't feel comfortable having to put a bunch of washers as spacers just to get it to line up right, but that is what they are saying I need to do.

Old July 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #5
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I can't see Kawi changing parts mid-production - ask them specifically for the part numbers that changed, and we can verify with the online parts finder to see if they changed or not

Old July 11th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #6
kkim

If you can, return the links and go with the Roaring Toyz link. There have been too many people having the same problem you are and Soupys always says the same thing.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Nny
ninjette.org member

Hmmm. That may be the better way to go. Their fix just doesn't make sense to me. Saying that parts were changed mid production also doesn't make sense.
I did check babbitsonline.com and I dont see anything there indicating a change in parts.

Old July 14th, 2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Duvivr6
ninjette.org member

Name: Duvi

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R Special Ed

I have vortex link on mine and they work great!
Duvivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote