ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #1
fmx
troublemaker

Name: Olly

Motorcycle(s): 2012 FZR6R Raven

Any pacific northwest members? Seeking selling price recommendations

Are their any pacific northwest (seattle area even better) members on here? I'm gearing up to sell my 2012 250 - 3k miles, no drops, well maintained Ninja. 7 months old (purchased new from dealer). Really not sure what a realistic selling price is (or trade-in value). Thanks.
fmx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #2
fmx
troublemaker

Bump?

Old September 9th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3
jokesonyou24
ninjette.org foodie

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): None...Yet

well judging from craigslist and cycle trader, I'd say between $3500-$4000. This is a high ballpark, so of course expect to go lower...

Old September 9th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Any mods, what maintenance has been done?

Unfortunately with the 300 coming out and other bikes in and or around the price range I feel like the re-sale on these have dropped a good bit.

I have a 12 purchased in October last year it now has 7200 miles on it. I would not expect to get over $2700 for it from a person unless they were dumb or for some reason really liked my mods, (to many other used ninjas with low miles selling for much less and most people buying 250's don't care about mods) I was offered $2500 on a trade in from a stealership, but that was also 2500 miles ago. I see brand new ones at dealer listed at $3600 to give you an idea, and 2012 left over cbr250's listed as low as $3k

I am helping my friend shop for a used bike and I won't even look at new gen 250s for sale unless they are under $2500 in mint condition with low miles.
Realistic price IMO for your 250 is $2300-$3000, Again I personally would not pay a dime over $2500 for it but someone else might. I am going to look at a 2010 mint, with 3k miles on it for $2300 for my friend and I assume they will come down another 100 at least.

I will most likely never sell my 250 as it is worth more to me than I will ever get for it in cash.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 9th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #5
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

Check for a general idea for value on KBB:

http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/kawas...edretailvalue/

Old September 9th, 2013, 11:26 AM   #6
fmx
troublemaker

Thanks all. No mods really. Shogun frame sliders, new horn (sounds like a car...), spools and that's about it. Just topped 3k miles and I'd like to sell it soon before I add too much more.

I was hoping 3k might be a realistic offer from a private party. 2.5k I might hesitantly accept from a dealer if trading in.

Old September 9th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #7
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmx View Post
Thanks all. No mods really. Shogun frame sliders, new horn (sounds like a car...), spools and that's about it. Just topped 3k miles and I'd like to sell it soon before I add too much more.

I was hoping 3k might be a realistic offer from a private party. 2.5k I might hesitantly accept from a dealer if trading in.
You might be able to get $3k from the right buyer but you will most likely have to be patient and deal with a lot of *** clowns along the way, or you could get lucky.

If you list on craigslist or where ever make sure your post looks organized, makes sense, no typo's, decent sentence structure and list every single detail you can think of that gives a positive history of the bike.

city where you are located
year, make model of bike
when you bought bike
how many owners
clear title?
How many miles on it
how it was stored
how it was ridden
has it been in any accident, ever
routine maintenance done (required service, oil, brakes, tires ect... do you have receipts if done at a shop? List things that have been done not other way around)
Mods to bike ( do you have OEM take offs? are they included?)
why you are selling the bike

That is a good starting list to look competent and give a good background of the bike and seem like a good trust worthy seller.

Things you can leave out from a sellers point are normal wear and tear type things. like scuffs on tank from jacket, small chips from rocks ect..., chain and sprocket wear, loose bearings. All these things will potentially decrease value but I feel it is up to the buyer to search for these things and bring them up to negotiate a better price.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old September 9th, 2013, 04:54 PM   #8
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

$3k is a reasonable price to expect from a private purchaser. My friend just purchased her 2011 w/1900 miles for $3,000 flat. Only modification was frame sliders and everything else was mint. Picked it up out of Bothell, so awful close to Seattle area.

Old September 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #9
fmx
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper64 View Post
$3k is a reasonable price to expect from a private purchaser. My friend just purchased her 2011 w/1900 miles for $3,000 flat. Only modification was frame sliders and everything else was mint. Picked it up out of Bothell, so awful close to Seattle area.
Thanks for the positive vibes Red. Your name sounds familiar, are you on pnw?

Old September 9th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #10
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Quote:
Thanks for the positive vibes Red. Your name sounds familiar, are you on pnw?
If it was earlier in the summer I would think you could get $3500 out of it. I haven't looked at kbb to verify though, I'm just going off what I've seen them going for. Yes to PNW, I'm on a little, more of a lurker at times. Why are you selling the Ninjette?

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #11
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Vehicles in WA tend to have stupidly high asking prices, no telling what they actually sell for though. I'd say ask $3500 expect closer to $3000, but a lot less if you sell it in the winter. Riding season is almost over, especially for you west siders so values are gonna plummet for bikes. And the 300 already hurt the value of the 250 enough lol
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #12
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
if you want to sell it, don't ask $3500, that is so off base it doesn't even warrant an email. You need to be at least in a ball park other wise buyers don't want to waste their time dealing with some guy who thinks their bike is made of gold and somehow doesn't depreciate.

I think you can get $3000 from the right buyer. That being said you do need a little over head to take off to make it sound like you are giving the guy a deal. List it at like $3200 at most, I personally would list it for $3150 and hope to sell it for at least $2900

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #13
fmx
troublemaker

Quote:
If it was earlier in the summer I would think you could get $3500 out of it. I haven't looked at kbb to verify though, I'm just going off what I've seen them going for. Yes to PNW, I'm on a little, more of a lurker at times. Why are you selling the Ninjette?
I'm not on there much anymore. I've been "stealing" my friends' gixxers a lot lately and suddenly realize just how weak my bike is. I'm not bashing it at all. I love it. And it's perfect for my commute. But now that I'm more of a weekend warrior I need something bigger and more powerful. It's a shame to give it up after only a few months, but I'm glad I bought it as it got me back into riding without running the risk of hurting myself.

Old September 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #14
fmx
troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
if you want to sell it, don't ask $3500, that is so off base it doesn't even warrant an email. You need to be at least in a ball park other wise buyers don't want to waste their time dealing with some guy who thinks their bike is made of gold and somehow doesn't depreciate.

I think you can get $3000 from the right buyer. That being said you do need a little over head to take off to make it sound like you are giving the guy a deal. List it at like $3200 at most, I personally would list it for $3150 and hope to sell it for at least $2900
Good advice, much appreciated.

Old September 10th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #15
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Quote:
I'm not on there much anymore. I've been "stealing" my friends' gixxers a lot lately and suddenly realize just how weak my bike is. I'm not bashing it at all. I love it. And it's perfect for my commute. But now that I'm more of a weekend warrior I need something bigger and more powerful. It's a shame to give it up after only a few months, but I'm glad I bought it as it got me back into riding without running the risk of hurting myself.
At least it got you back into riding! I have a major love affair with my 250 and can't imagine selling it. Luckily the hubby is a believer that one motorcycle is never enough. Now I just need a race 250 and a 636 for the track Maybe even a minigalle but I would have to share that one with the husband.

Old September 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #16
fmx
troublemaker

Quote:
At least it got you back into riding! I have a major love affair with my 250 and can't imagine selling it. Luckily the hubby is a believer that one motorcycle is never enough. Now I just need a race 250 and a 636 for the track Maybe even a minigalle but I would have to share that one with the husband.
There's the spirit. I honestly do love my bike. And I find it very comfortable despite looking like a grasshopper riding it (I'm 6'4"). If I could throw a bigger engine inside I would keep it in a heartbeat.

Old September 10th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #17
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

Not sure how useful this information will be, but up here, in Vancouver (Canada), I sold my 2008 Ninja with substantial road rash for $3200. It did have SS brake lines, clipons, and rear sets, but even so, the amount for which I sold the bike was pretty unreal. It really all depends on finding the right buyer, which is largely based on how patient you are. Best of luck with the sale.
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #18
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Quote:
There's the spirit. I honestly do love my bike. And I find it very comfortable despite looking like a grasshopper riding it (I'm 6'4"). If I could throw a bigger engine inside I would keep it in a heartbeat.
Monkey f-ing a football is what my husband calls it, 6'3" for him. I'll have to ask, but he's always talked about dumping a bigger engine into mine as I grow in abilities.

Old September 10th, 2013, 03:07 PM   #19
fmx
troublemaker

Quote:
Monkey f-ing a football is what my husband calls it, 6'3" for him. I'll have to ask, but he's always talked about dumping a bigger engine into mine as I grow in abilities.
I've heard that expression many times. I just think grasshopper fits better, especially with my bright green grass colored bike. Sadly I don't think the frame or fairings could handle anything bigger (not to mention the tires). I've literally given mine everything she had to give (115mph - give or take w/ speedometer accuracy) and she was rattling.