ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #41
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Kim,

I'm a little bit surprised at the mildness of your outrage towards the truck driver. Regardless of whether the rider illegally passed or not, the action of the truck was attempted murder. Its like attributing equal blame to a store owner who shoots a shoplifter for stealing a candy bar. The candy bar thief may have asked for getting into trouble but in no way does a minor misdemeanor warrant an execution.

Here its the same deal. The rider may have committed a minor traffic violation, but the lowlife in the truck ATTEMPTED TO MUDER HIM, or at the very least assualt with a deadly weapon.

Many days, I drive my cage to work, and in a dense urban environment I see many pedestrians crossing streets illegally when I have the right of way in my cage. Am I justified in running them over? Are they asking for it? No, I simply allow them safe passage as thats the 'cost of doing business' when it comes to driving in a city environment. On a country road, when you're clogging up a beautiful stretch of road with your 5,000lb+ truck hauling your ATV, riders passing you is the 'cost of doing business.'

I was really, really hoping that the video would end with the cretin in the truck being rendered a bloody pulp. But this video is making its way to EVERY motorcycle board in the country and riders on that stretch of road will know to look out for this guy. Im willing to bet, his next murderous escapade will end much worse for him than he expects. Filthy scum like that should be dealth with harshly.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #42
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
If I were the second rider, when I saw that, I would have pulled waaaaay back and away from that driver, period.
I agree. If I were riding solo, for sure - I would have stayed way back and let the crazy man continue on his way. Better yet, I would have never put myself in that position.

However, it seemed pretty clear that the dude in the truck was determined to catch the first biker and do some serious harm. Can't say for sure, but I would like to think that if I were in this situation, I wouldn't stay back and abandon my ridding buddy. What if he did catch him? I would want to stay close enough to witness an attack and to provide immediate help if he was hit. Plus the video.

Cool road, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
I had a pick up swing a door open at me one time . I kicked in the doors on both sides of his truck . and kicked dents in the bed. I started trying to break the door glass with my fist when he panicked and drove off. YA I was very upset.
There is too much win here....

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #43
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

I also need to say something about the ".... they asked for it" ideology here. By using that as an excuse to lesson the blame on the cager is the same as saying a woman that was raped was "asking for it" just because her style of dress made you horny. Using the "they asked for it" excuse is by far one of the worst and lowest forms of "justification" a person can use for excessive responses. How would you feel if a woman you know and care for was dressed nicely yet sexy and then got raped only to have the rapist use the excuse "she asked for it because of the way she was dressed"? Think on that, and then look back on this video. No one ever "asks for it", others push their own ideals upon them and think they are right and justified for it.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:40 AM   #44
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

I see some bikers breaking the law on a double line. Punishment: Ticket/Citation/Warning.

I see an INSANE redneck going berserk and trying to *murder* them for it.

I don't care what you take away from the video, but the fact of the matter is that the redneck is a *dangerous* member of society, and there are many crazy ass people out there like him. It's sick.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #45
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I dont know how it is there, but the truck drivers better not pull any of that crap down here in Georgia. Most of the bikers here pack heat legally...and if you come at them with a tire iron after trying to murder them with your truck. It is not going to end well for the truck driver.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #46
Mekkakat
Eternal Noob

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): "Blanka" 07' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
I dont know how it is there, but the truck drivers better not pull any of that crap down here in Georgia. Most of the bikers here pack heat legally...and if you come at them with a tire iron after trying to murder them with your truck. It is not going to end well for the truck driver.
I was thinking that too. My mom and her Harley friends all carry legally, and one of the guys got in a tiff pretty bad with a reckless semi driver one summer, to the point that the whole crew (like 10 riders) had to pull off the road. The semi was flagged down ahead at a weigh station, so the lead driver, who is *super* nice, went to talk to him.

Well the driver I guess KNEW he was driving like an ass, called the guy some names, then revealed the tire iron he had behind his leg, then tried to hide his very visible threats behind the open door. Needless to say, the Harley guy asked him to back away, had his hand up high on the holster, and the driver was all "sorry" at that point.

I know quite a few that don't have that level of patience that carry, and I can't imagine that this would be wise for anyone to do down South of all places. That guy in the video is lucky these guys weren't.
Mekkakat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 06:57 AM   #47
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Im a total advocate of CCW. But in that situation, the question will be asked, why did the bikers stop and approach the driver to confront, especially after the driver showed he was prone to using violence? While I would totally feel the rider was justified in using a CCW to protect himself, the question would remain in the minds of others, why didnt they avoid the confrontation when they clearly had means to do so? In most states, use of a CCW requires justification that you had no other means to prevent injury to yourself and no reasonable way of extricating yourself from the situation.

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #48
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 two-fiddy (red)

^ I'm all for the right to carry guns but at the same time i don't like the idea of it. I don't think people deserve to lose their lives over altercations like passing someone. I've seldom found my self in situations i couldn't talk my way out of. But i also train at a mma gym about 4 nights a week b/c i just think an ass whoppin' will teach someone a lesson instead of me shooting them and ending their life. Like Craig's dad says "You live to fight another day, sonnn".
Ninja Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #49
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Assassin View Post
^ I'm all for the right to carry guns but at the same time i don't like the idea of it. I don't think people deserve to lose their lives over altercations like passing someone. I've seldom found my self in situations i couldn't talk my way out of. But i also train at a mma gym about 4 nights a week b/c i just think an ass whoppin' will teach someone a lesson instead of me shooting them and ending their life. Like Craig's dad says "You live to fight another day, sonnn".
Im all for finding a non-violent method of resolving the situation. But if the guy has already tryed to kill me once with his truck, and then threatens me with a tire iron...im not waiting to find out if he will use it or not.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #50
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

I agree bdavison. Yeah the dude did just try to kill him with his truck and then pull out a tire iron. And like i said, thats just my personal outlook on it and i don't knock people for carrying. Not everyone has the physical ability to protect themselves without a weapon. I'd rather my 60 year old dad have a piston than try to fight a tweaked out redneck. Thats just how i personally try to deal with situations. B/c as big a peice of **** as he may be that crazy redneck is probably someones dad, son, husband.

I just have the thought of well yeah the guy went nuts and tried to kill me so i'll just beat his ass, he can pick himself up, go home and lick his wounds, and next time he'll think twice before he pulls that **** and no one has to die. Call it a lesson learned instead of a needless death. If i get my butt kicked then i guess i lost that argument and i'll go home and lick my wounds.

Break in my house and your gonna eat a .357. Get into an altercation with me on side of the road and we'll settle it like men. No need for a death in that situation.

So like i said, i'm all for the right to carry but i'd also rather see people settle things without violence obviously. But only use the threat of death as a last resort.

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #51
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

Just as an FYI, its technically not illegal in Vermont to pass over a double yellow line. It may be the same way for other states.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #52
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post

Did you all not see the first bike pass the truck on a double yellow line?
Did you not see a pickup truck cross the double yellow countless times on blind curves, drive recklessly, and threaten someone with a deadly weapon, and attempted murder by trying to push the bike off the road? I sure as heck did.

License plate # 369-DYR in Kentucky. Time to do some internet scouring.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #53
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I agree bdavison. Yeah the dude did just try to kill him with his truck and then pull out a tire iron. And like i said, thats just my personal outlook on it and i don't knock people for carrying. Not everyone has the physical ability to protect themselves without a weapon. I'd rather my 60 year old dad have a piston than try to fight a tweaked out redneck. Thats just how i personally try to deal with situations. B/c as big a peice of **** as he may be that crazy redneck is probably someones dad, son, husband.

I just have the thought of well yeah the guy went nuts and tried to kill me so i'll just beat his ass, he can pick himself up, go home and lick his wounds, and next time he'll think twice before he pulls that **** and no one has to die. Call it a lesson learned instead of a needless death. If i get my butt kicked then i guess i lost that argument and i'll go home and lick my wounds.

Break in my house and your gonna eat a .357. Get into an altercation with me on side of the road and we'll settle it like men. No need for a death in that situation.

So like i said, i'm all for the right to carry but i'd also rather see people settle things without violence obviously. But only use the threat of death as a last resort.
Thats all fine and well, but perhaps a little naive. It could happen that while youre putting the guy in a very technically correct blood choke, his buddy or buddies whom you didnt account for decide to come up behind you and stomp you.

Or you walk out of a convenience store in a strange neighborhood, just as a carload of hoodlums rolls up and decides you got something nice in your car that they want. Your bjj skills are going to be outmatched against Ole Tyquan's .25 Jennings. Its hard to maintain a mount when you have a .25 acp boring a hole through your intestines.

I think that every law abiding adult with the desire to should carry a firearm for protection. However, the issue is that with a CCW, you rightfully should a whole level of responsibility that you otherwise would not. For example, if ole boy is road raging, runs you off the road in his truck, and then exits to approach you with a tire iron, than by all means ventilate him and not a single reasonable person will object. If however, you follow him, dismount your vehicle and walk up to him to 'teach him some manners' and THEN he pulls a tire iron, then you've gotten yourself into legal hot water, because you escalated the situation.

I carry as often as I legally (being in close proximity to DC and many .gov building here, its not always or often possible) can. However, knowing I have a CCW, makes me takes an extra measure of restraint. I have nothing to prove to anyone and I dont want to intentionally put myself in a situation that would necessitate the use of a weapon. As such, I let many things go by while Im CCWing, that I maybe would not otherwise.

So what Im trying to say is that:

I.) you have much more restrictive 'ROE' as a private citizen carrying a CCW, than a LEO carrying a duty weapon - you have a more difficult time articulating need for deadly force

II.) you better not show your firearm unless you intend to use it. If you are waving it around to teach lessons, you are brandishing. The only time a firearm should clear leather is when your life is literally at stake.

III.) if your life is at stake because of something you did to escalate the situation, you are likely doing something very wrong.

Old May 27th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #54
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

[QUOTE=Ninja Assassin;299130] B/c as big a peice of **** as he may be that crazy redneck is probably someones dad, son, husband.

QUOTE]

What I was trying to convery in my wordy post above is that while your sense of honor is noble, the goblins on the street dont play fair and honor is something foreign to them. If they have the opportunity, they will destroy you and take your possessions with little regard to the consequnces. Even BJ Penn can be physically overmatched by numerous assailants or caught off gaurd by a particularly aggressive one. While a firearm guarantees nothing, its far more effective at saving your life in one of those "Oh ****, everything is on the table and Im in a fight for survival" situations than arm bars and chokes are.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:00 AM   #55
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Im quite sure you cant approach someone with a tire iron in a threatening manner after chasing them for a couple miles.
It's called Assault. Approaching someone in a threatening manner is considered assault. I'm fairly sure a tire iron is a deadly weapon. However, I doubt he would be convicted, as the riders were the first to approach him, and as has been pointed out, they essentially have gauntlets on, so the case would be made in his defense that he felt threatened. As I said before, they should have contacted Law enforcement ASAP.

Quote:
The truck driver is the lucky one... If he approached someone that was packing a 9mm with a tire iron in his hand he might have had a really bad day.
Stupid is as stupid does.
The rear rider puts himself in a position so indefensible, that the driver could just have shot him from the inside of the truck...You don't approach the driver of a truck with an ATV in the back of it, You are asking for it if you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
I also need to say something about the ".... they asked for it" ideology here. By using that as an excuse to lesson the blame on the cager is the same as saying a woman that was raped was "asking for it" just because her style of dress made you horny. Using the "they asked for it" excuse is by far one of the worst and lowest forms of "justification" a person can use for excessive responses. How would you feel if a woman you know and care for was dressed nicely yet sexy and then got raped only to have the rapist use the excuse "she asked for it because of the way she was dressed"? Think on that, and then look back on this video. No one ever "asks for it", others push their own ideals upon them and think they are right and justified for it.
Playing with fire is another term I like. Walking on a golf course in the middle of a thunderstorm is playing with fire(or asking for it). Throwing rocks at a bees nest is playing with fire(or asking for it). etc. Unlike the incident leading up to the slut walks I think you are referring to, "asking for it" is a perfectly legitimate reason to question someone's intelligence. No one intends it as an excuse for the perpetrator, but as a question of the victims intelligence. These 2 riders made a slew of dumb mistakes that lead to me wonder how smart they are.

As for no one ever asking for it, go ask any half intelligent woman how smart it is to wonder around alone at night. The vast majority will always have someone with them. Hell, I wouldn't even wonder around alone at night in certain areas of my own town, because "I would be asking for it"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
Im a total advocate of CCW. But in that situation, the question will be asked, why did the bikers stop and approach the driver to confront, especially after the driver showed he was prone to using violence? While I would totally feel the rider was justified in using a CCW to protect himself, the question would remain in the minds of others, why didnt they avoid the confrontation when they clearly had means to do so? In most states, use of a CCW requires justification that you had no other means to prevent injury to yourself and no reasonable way of extricating yourself from the situation.
Quote:
As far as CCW goes, as it is taught in most Southern states(because almost all of us have reciprocity with one another), your weapon is of last resort. These 2 Einsteins decided to confront the asshole in the truck. If all your ability to escape has been exhausted then your gun is your last line of defense. The riders are asking for it by pursuing this nutcase to a point where he is essentially backed into a corner.

Let's look at the sequence of events:

Rider A passes truck>Truck tries to run Rider A off the road>Rider A passes and tries to escape>Truck pursues trying to run Rider A down>At this point Rider A would have been completely justified in using his (unseen or nonexistent) weapon on the driver, as difficult as it may be to shoot backwards from a motorcycle>At the same time, the driver is being pursued by Rider B>Rider A stops at next stop sign, for God knows what reason, but probably to confront the driver(real smart btw, a double yellow line won't stop him but a stop sign will)>Rider B dismounts and approaches driver in his vehicle>At this point a confrontation seems eminent, and it's 2 armored individuals against one wife beater, the potential for the truck driver to pull a gun here is incredibly high.

The truck driver started this bullshit, so is at fault. However, vigilantism is not protected by law. All I'm saying is that all parties involved in this video were asking for it.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #56
Archerzz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Yea after watching this little clip both parties are at fault. And if the cops did actually show up both should receive tickets, illegal passing for the rider, speeding for both, reckless endangerment for both, etc.. Both need their licenses suspended and need to attend some form of driving school along with possible anger management for the truck driver. Being passed illegally shouldn't make you that angry and the type of bike shouldn't factor in on your reaction.

The biker provoked the truck driver with an illegal pass (happens to me all the time I really don't give a crap I just view them as little radar detectors who are going to flush out the cops ahead of me). Not to say he was justified in trying to run the biker off the road, but had the rider waited for a passing zone and followed the truck at an appropriate following distance this whole ordeal probably would have been avoided. Just because you are on a bike doesn't give you the right to ride like you own the road and then act like you did NOTHING illegal.

But from my short time on a bike I have begun to notice that you get a lot of attention from the cars around you. Cars driving next to you on the highway and zipping past me slowing down looking over at me like I am trying to race them, when I am going the speed limit with the flow of traffic. That is why it is my responsibility as a rider to assume that EVERYONE on the road besides me cannot be trusted and I have to adapt for the stupidity of the drivers/riders around me.

Aside from that, those roads looked mad fun to ride on!
Archerzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:05 AM   #57
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

that's messed up. I've crossed double yellow but that was to avoid getting T-boned by a lady that had no reason to pull out the way she did, especially since we made eye contact and there was no way she could've thought she'd have enough space to get in front of me. I was pissed, had my gun on me (legally) but she didn't express any rage towards me, so no reason to even pull it out. The bikers did break a law, but who doesn't? the truck driver definitely went too far. the bikers should've kept going instead of stopping. If there's a chance to get away from the threat, do it.
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #58
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

One day when going to school, this guy got angry at me because although HE had the yield sign, I didn't yield to him. He chased me for a little bit till I exited the highway and he followed. I got on the phone with PD, let them know what was happening, just as he got out of his car when I was stopped at a yield sign of my own and started banging on my window, to which the police dispatcher heard the banging and yelling.

I let the dispatcher know where I was going to drive to, and as I pulled in to the parking lot the driver started to drive off... but was cut off by 2 hiding police cruisers, who forced him out and on the ground at gunpoint. I was vindicated.

I could have drawn down on him with a gun if I wanted to, and by Texas law, would have been justified, however I don't carry for that very reason: Just because I'm justified doesn't mean I wont get in trouble.

I HAVE, however, looked in to buying a civilian Taser. I've been tased myself, and for most people that's effective enough to get them to back the **** off... plus while police tasers only tase for 5 seconds, civilian tasers tase for 30 seconds, and Taser International replaces your used Taser for free.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM   #59
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
It's called Assault...
Rider A passes truck>Truck tries to run Rider A off the road>Rider A passes and tries to escape>Truck pursues trying to run Rider A down>At this point Rider A would have been completely justified in using his (unseen or nonexistent) weapon on the driver, as difficult as it may be to shoot backwards from a motorcycle>At the same time, the driver is being pursued by Rider B>Rider A stops at next stop sign, for God knows what reason, but probably to confront the driver(real smart btw, a double yellow line won't stop him but a stop sign will)>Rider B dismounts and approaches driver in his vehicle>At this point a confrontation seems eminent, and it's 2 armored individuals against one wife beater, the potential for the truck driver to pull a gun here is incredibly high.

The truck driver started this bullshit, so is at fault. However, vigilantism is not protected by law. All I'm saying is that all parties involved in this video were asking for it.
Very well stated, Chris. This whole situation ended up being a gagglephawk of imbeciles - not cause the rider crossed the double yellow, but they went up to the truck driver and started wandering around aimlessly. Either pull him over and deliver an asskicking or avoid. But dont park right behind him and catcall him as he's coming at you with an implement that could deliver a deadly blow with one strike.

Old May 27th, 2011, 08:51 AM   #60
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
irregardless
It does not mean what you think it means.

Quote:
Yes I did, but irregardless, its highly illegal to try to block someone from passing regardless of the number of yellow lines. Since the truck tried to hit the biker on purpose, it can be nothing shy of attempted murder.
Be real - there have been numerous situations across the US where the cage actually KILLED the biker and did not get charged with anything having the word "murder" anywhere in it.

It wouldn't matter if the biker was 100% in the right, if the truck killed him he'd still be dead.

Don't pass on double yellow
Don't be suprrised when uber-redneck in lifted truck tries to ram you for doing so
Don't be surprised when said redneck tries to chase you down
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM   #61
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
In most states, use of a CCW requires justification that you had no other means to prevent injury to yourself and no reasonable way of extricating yourself from the situation.
I don't know about KY, but in FL we don't have to justify our 'escape from danger' only that we were in life threatening danger. If the redneck was in FL and he only brandished a tire iron, you can't shoot him, but if he took a swing - bang. Also, in FL there is an anti-brandishing law specific to firearms. Do so and you get 5 years minimum mandatory irregardless of the circumstances. You have to either shoot them or keep it holstered. So if the bikers had started waiving a gun at the redneck THEY would serve time in spite of what the biker did. The exception is if he is trying to escape and is being held at gunpoint.

Each state is a little different. Reciprocity does not transfer the state rights. Once you cross state lines, you have to carry under that states rules.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #62
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
I don't know about KY, but in FL we don't have to justify our 'escape from danger' only that we were in life threatening danger. If the redneck was in FL and he only brandished a tire iron, you can't shoot him, but if he took a swing - bang. Also, in FL there is an anti-brandishing law specific to firearms. Do so and you get 5 years minimum mandatory irregardless of the circumstances. You have to either shoot them or keep it holstered. So if the bikers had started waiving a gun at the redneck THEY would serve time in spite of what the biker did. The exception is if he is trying to escape and is being held at gunpoint.

Each state is a little different. Reciprocity does not transfer the state rights. Once you cross state lines, you have to carry under that states rules.
This is true and I've always been told to NEVER pull it unless your gonna use it. However I could totally see a judge saying "son why did you stop at the sign? Couldn't you have just continued on and avoided any confrontation?"

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #63
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:

Playing with fire is another term I like. Walking on a golf course in the middle of a thunderstorm is playing with fire(or asking for it). Throwing rocks at a bees nest is playing with fire(or asking for it). etc. Unlike the incident leading up to the slut walks I think you are referring to, "asking for it" is a perfectly legitimate reason to question someone's intelligence. No one intends it as an excuse for the perpetrator, but as a question of the victims intelligence. These 2 riders made a slew of dumb mistakes that lead to me wonder how smart they are.

As for no one ever asking for it, go ask any half intelligent woman how smart it is to wonder around alone at night. The vast majority will always have someone with them. Hell, I wouldn't even wonder around alone at night in certain areas of my own town, because "I would be asking for it"

This is the sort of mentality that is hurting society. By using the idea of "oh they were asking for it" you are trying to remove blame from yourself onto them. That is extremely shallow and self-righteous in thinking. By using that mentality you are trying to claim you are better then them. Also look at how you jumped immediately into using the term slut. A woman who dresses nice yet sexy is not a slut. If that's how you think then you should consider the idea that you might be a sexist. I've seen many women, wives, mothers, sisters, professionals, that dress sexy yet upscale. Does that mean they are sluts because they wear clothes that accentuate their good looks? No it does not, and it in NO way means they are asking to get raped. But a man with no respect for women, no respect for the law, and extremely horny will do what they want and then try to use that excuse of "she was asking for it". It's a lowlife attempt to beg for mercy when you know what you did was wrong imo.

The same idea goes for what the bikers did. In most places what they did is illegal, but we don't know what the letter of the law is in that area. So who are we to judge? Even if their area has the first bikers action as illegal, it does not excuse the truck driver for his actions in response. His actions far outweigh what the biker did to start this. The biker put himself in danger when he started the pass. The truck driver put everyone on the road in danger with his actions.

The first biker was stopped at the stop sign to wait for his buddy who did the smart thing and stayed behind the truck. I highly doubt he had any idea that the truck was still after him by that point. To me he looked surprised and a little shaken to see the truck again. The second rider did the smart thing of staying behind the truck. He stayed close enough to keep an eye on him while trying to catch up to his friend. After they stopped, I agree, he should have approached his friend away from the driver and immediately called the police after getting the license plate number. He was wrong in approaching the driver and was lucky it didn't end up with someone getting hurt or shot.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #64
Green Streak
Ninjette Owner

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, a puddle of Ninja ZX6

Quote:
This is exactly why I won't carry if I am going to cross state lines. It is to much of a headache.

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #65
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

In some states, it is not against the law to overtake vehicles in the presence of solid yellow lines if it is safe to do so. Section 3303 and 3305 of the Pennsylvania driver code are examples.[3] Vermont State Law also allows passing of the double yellow line when no traffic is on the opposing side, however, one must pass quickly and return to the proper side.

I still want to know if Kentucky is similar, because then it wasn't even illegal. I believe Vermont law reads something along the lines of its not recommended.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 09:55 AM   #66
Mizono
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

after watching the video a second time i figured i would chime in. Ok obviously the biker did a illegal pass. was it wrong?? YES. clear cut. the truck wasnt driving at a slow rate of speed and the biker really didnt even give the truck a chance to possibly slide over so he could pass in safety. He just went around. IMO thats were the bikers fault ends at least till the end. Not only did the truck driver attempt to run him off the road. he actually tried it with several other bikers who were in the oncoming lane. He was obviously chasing the biker. Attempted Murder is a possible charge but most likely itll go down to reckless endangerment or some other lesser charge.

Should they have confronted him....ehh probably not a smart move. BUT it didnt look like they had alot of other places to stop and meet back up. If the biker slowed down he woulda had a F150 up his rear end.

I really do not think pulling a gun is acceptable in public really for most(notice i said MOST) reasons. Now in defense of my home and family you bet your ass. Everyone has their own views on firearms and the right to carry and im NOT debating that issue.

There was alot of fault spread out on the video but in no means did the bikers deserve the level of rage the guy in the truck was putting out.

Again this is my OPINION.
Mizono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #67
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

That's where I think many people are missing the point. Yes, the biker did pass in "Apparently" a no-pass zone. But the redneck already had it out for him before he passed. The biker's crime, in the mind of the redneck, was simply being a biker. This is evidenced by the fact that he tried to hit bikers coming the other way who couldn't have done anything to him. And also by his comments about "you crotch rocket riders" at the end. The fact that the first rider passed him was just an opportunity to kill one as far as the redneck was concerned.

As far as non-violent solutions. Offer the redneck an oxycontin and you'll be his friend for life, or at least until it wears off, whichever comes first. Kentucky rednecks have a thing for oxycontin. Which sadly they get right here in FL, but that's another story.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:34 AM   #68
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
My point about the 9mm.
When I ride in Indiana, I ride with 3 other guys.
Im the only one who doesnt carry. ( I live in Illinois, one of the last 2 states NOT to have some form of conceal carry.)

Try that with my group and you would be facing a .380, and a pair of 9mm's
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #69
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

What boggles me is that, here on a motorcycle forum populated by people who presumably ride motorcycles, that anyone, *anyone*, somehow could possibly think that the rider deserved this attempt on his life. Was the rider riding like a dick? Heck yeah! Was the driver somehow less responsible for what he did, not only in trying to kill the driver but also driving in a manner that could only be categorized as reckless and presented a danger to everyone on the road, not just the rider? Hell no!

I don't know how to say it any plainer than this: There is no justification for what that driver did. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Period.

Jesus, it's bad enough before we start turning on our own.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #70
Ninja Assassin
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thats all fine and well, but perhaps a little naive. It could happen that while youre putting the guy in a very technically correct blood choke, his buddy or buddies whom you didnt account for decide to come up behind you and stomp you.

Or you walk out of a convenience store in a strange neighborhood, just as a carload of hoodlums rolls up and decides you got something nice in your car that they want. Your bjj skills are going to be outmatched against Ole Tyquan's .25 Jennings. Its hard to maintain a mount when you have a .25 acp boring a hole through your intestines.

I think that every law abiding adult with the desire to should carry a firearm for protection. However, the issue is that with a CCW, you rightfully should a whole level of responsibility that you otherwise would not. For example, if ole boy is road raging, runs you off the road in his truck, and then exits to approach you with a tire iron, than by all means ventilate him and not a single reasonable person will object. If however, you follow him, dismount your vehicle and walk up to him to 'teach him some manners' and THEN he pulls a tire iron, then you've gotten yourself into legal hot water, because you escalated the situation.

I carry as often as I legally (being in close proximity to DC and many .gov building here, its not always or often possible) can. However, knowing I have a CCW, makes me takes an extra measure of restraint. I have nothing to prove to anyone and I dont want to intentionally put myself in a situation that would necessitate the use of a weapon. As such, I let many things go by while Im CCWing, that I maybe would not otherwise.

So what Im trying to say is that:

I.) you have much more restrictive 'ROE' as a private citizen carrying a CCW, than a LEO carrying a duty weapon - you have a more difficult time articulating need for deadly force

II.) you better not show your firearm unless you intend to use it. If you are waving it around to teach lessons, you are brandishing. The only time a firearm should clear leather is when your life is literally at stake.

III.) if your life is at stake because of something you did to escalate the situation, you are likely doing something very wrong.
We have the same views on this man. Like i said i'm all for the right to carry. I'm speaking of this particular incident which involved 1 tweaked out redneck in a truck and not a bunch of thugs. You have to have the ability to assess the individual situation. It was two fairly big guys and one tweaked out pissed off redneck with a tire iron. No need to shoot anyone in that situation. Thats all i was saying. And like you say, you shouldn't show a gun unless you intend to use it. So in many cases by simply not having a gun during a heated situation keeps it from escalating to that level. Again, its just my personal views on using deadly force. I know i can't fend off 5 guys. I've tried before and failed miserably and i train 4 nights a week. I don't expect the average person to.

Thats all. We share the same views. Its just not coming across on here. I was simply trying to say there was no need for deadly force in that particular situation... had had one of them had a gun on them, a situation that seems to have ended with everyone going their separate way would have most likely ended very differently. Besides that i simply don't wanna risk shooting a guy in something i feel is justified but then a jury decides i wasn't and i spend the rest of my life in prison without my wife and son. So i try to stay out of iffy situations and when my backs against the law i kick someone in the balls and dip the hell out.

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #71
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
What boggles me is that, here on a motorcycle forum populated by people who presumably ride motorcycles, that anyone, *anyone*, somehow could possibly think that the rider deserved this attempt on his life. Was the rider riding like a dick? Heck yeah! Was the driver somehow less responsible for what he did, not only in trying to kill the driver but also driving in a manner that could only be categorized as reckless and presented a danger to everyone on the road, not just the rider? Hell no!

I don't know how to say it any plainer than this: There is no justification for what that driver did. None. Zero. Zip. Nada. Period.

Jesus, it's bad enough before we start turning on our own.
AMEN brother....Preach it.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #72
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I was hoping he was going to flip his truck off the road trying to keep up personally. Yeah the biker should not have passed, but trying to KILL him and others on the raod ( at 4:22 I bet that biker **** his pants) because you got mad that he passed you is rediculous.

That is like trying to kill someone because his was going 10 miles over the speed limit, its insane logic.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #73
MrBrownTX
ninjette.org member

Name: Brown

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja EX250

Clearly guilty on all sides.

It was a DBag showdown.

Nothing like The Ultimate Show Down.
MrBrownTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #74
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
This is the sort of mentality that is hurting society. By using the idea of "oh they were asking for it" you are trying to remove blame from yourself onto them. That is extremely shallow and self-righteous in thinking. By using that mentality you are trying to claim you are better then them. Also look at how you jumped immediately into using the term slut. A woman who dresses nice yet sexy is not a slut. If that's how you think then you should consider the idea that you might be a sexist. I've seen many women, wives, mothers, sisters, professionals, that dress sexy yet upscale. Does that mean they are sluts because they wear clothes that accentuate their good looks? No it does not, and it in NO way means they are asking to get raped. But a man with no respect for women, no respect for the law, and extremely horny will do what they want and then try to use that excuse of "she was asking for it". It's a lowlife attempt to beg for mercy when you know what you did was wrong imo.

The same idea goes for what the bikers did. In most places what they did is illegal, but we don't know what the letter of the law is in that area. So who are we to judge? Even if their area has the first bikers action as illegal, it does not excuse the truck driver for his actions in response. His actions far outweigh what the biker did to start this. The biker put himself in danger when he started the pass. The truck driver put everyone on the road in danger with his actions.

The first biker was stopped at the stop sign to wait for his buddy who did the smart thing and stayed behind the truck. I highly doubt he had any idea that the truck was still after him by that point. To me he looked surprised and a little shaken to see the truck again. The second rider did the smart thing of staying behind the truck. He stayed close enough to keep an eye on him while trying to catch up to his friend. After they stopped, I agree, he should have approached his friend away from the driver and immediately called the police after getting the license plate number. He was wrong in approaching the driver and was lucky it didn't end up with someone getting hurt or shot.
THE Slut Walks are a series of protests related to a rape in Toronto, in which several officers implied a woman was asking for it because of her state of mind and her choice of clothing at the time of the rape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SlutWalk

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42927752...ave-slutwalks/

What's wrong with society is a group of people dictating what I can and can't do based on their own value judgements. As long as my actions don't infringe on the rights of others, it really shouldn't matter.

Yes, I'm more intelligent than some nutcase that decides to go fishing in the middle of a lightning storm, but am I going to bar him from doing it? nope(family and friends excluded). It's his life and he can do as he pleases, but he is asking to get struck by lightning.

We balance risk and pleasure all the time we get on the bike, but we take EVERY precaution that's practical. MSF, gear, and a combination of defensive/offensive driving skills we practice and practice and practice.

If you are going to throw caution to the wind and go out of your way to put yourself in danger, I'm not going to feel that sorry for you. Don't go insulting a drunk guy at a bar who is twice your size, you are asking for it. Don't weave in and out of traffic at 100mph without a helmet on, you are asking for it. Don't go walking through a gun range(EVER) while people are shooting. I can go on and on.

If some woman wants to go walking through New Orleans with a tube top and high heels on at 1AM by herself, she can do it all she wants, but when I turn on the news and hear that she got raped, 2 thoughts are going to got through my mind: 1) Damn she was an idiot, 2)I hope they find and can the guy that raped her.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #75
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrownTX View Post
Clearly guilty on all sides.

It was a DBag showdown.

Nothing like The Ultimate Show Down.
classic, damn thing used to be stuck in my head all the time.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:30 AM   #76
almost40

ok I watched this vid for a 2nd time. Heres what I saw.
The lead rider had no idea that the truck was still behind him when he stopped. He was hell bent for the horizin after nearly being killed. (cant blame him) When the truck came to a stop the driver was so intent on confronting the lead biker he jumped out of his truck without putting it in park. (hence the rolling truck) The filming biker goes to the aid his buddie who is being confronted by a red-neck and a rolling truck. The truck driver realizes along with the lead biker that the truck is not in park and they separate to move the bike and put the truck in park. (ironic that the truck driver is mad enough to nearly kill and then pursue for miles at a high rate of speed the first biker, but doesnt want his truck to roll into the intersection.)
The truck driver see's hes outnumbered and out armored and pulls a tire iron after he puts the truck in park. (you can tell he didnt put the truck in park when he stopped because when the truck did stop there were no brake lights)
At this point the 2 bikers are in front of the truck and the driver is armed with a tire iron. The filming biker heads back to his bike to get his phone (im sure after the driver grabbed the iron) giving the weapon holding driver a wide berth. He is then pursued for a few steps by a man holing a weapon. (this is the point where if it were me I would have had my hand on my weapon) The situation defuses after that.

I would say that the lead biker would not have been justified in pulling a weapon. Yes, he was confonted, but it was by an unarmed man. The tail biker had the most to worry about. I think anyone of sound mind would have no problem with the tail biker pulling or at least showing a weapon to the driver to let him know that if you get any closer with that weapon it might turn ugly.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #77
almost40

Another thought here. Who has a tire iron ready to be pulled?? He didnt have to search for it. Is that where the tire iron resides in a king cab tuck?? I think NOT.

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #78
nakedhunter
ninjette.org member

Name: Naked

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (RED)

All I can say is I ride a bike, drive a truck, own a home, and have kids that play outside. I wouldn't want ANY of this crud to happen anywhere in my neighborhood or have any part in it...

It's well beyond crossing a double line (which BTW is there for a reason beyond looking pretty) this looks like a small community with rural family homes and yards very close to the road and I would be deathly afraid to ever let my kids go anywhere near the front yard with riders coming through like that.

The rider should have slowed down when he came up on the truck and either wait for a line break or give the truck a chance to let him pass.
It's quite obvious the truck so overreacted and came so close to killing someone from a spur of the moment decision.

The truck has an ATV in the back so I would not think he is some redneck just out to kill riders.

Around here, we ride away from peoples homes, generally try to respect other motorists, and try to stick someone around the traffic laws and regulations.

I just do not like either side in this vid.
nakedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #79
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I would say that the lead biker would not have been justified in pulling a weapon. Yes, he was confonted, but it was by an unarmed man. The tail biker had the most to worry about. I think anyone of sound mind would have no problem with the tail biker pulling or at least showing a weapon to the driver to let him know that if you get any closer with that weapon it might turn ugly.
I think if someone shows intent to use their vehicle as a weapon, then you should consider them armed when they pull up behind you at the next stop sign. Just my

Old May 27th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #80
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I am willing to bet even if it were a passing zone, the same thing would have happened. The truck driver obviously had an agenda before the bikers even passed him.

I have had people try similar stuff(although nothing even remotely to this degree) to me before while passing them in a legal passing zone, some peple just have issues with other drivers passing them, and some have presonal grudges against bikers, especialy sport bikes, probably because of past issues with squids.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote