Old May 28th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #161
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperw View Post
well your all going to yell at me but when the cops see that it was a double soild line the cop just just to say its his own fault.Just like if you j walk and get hit you S O L
Um, are you kidding? Seriously, the driver of the truck was way out of line (literally and figuratively). Yeah, the trucker was innocent and driving like a sweet old granny himself, right? He was endangering way more lives than the biker who passed illegally (yes on a double yellow, but one w/ decent sight distance for his acceleration). Under your logic, since the angry truck driver was justified to behave the way he did, let's say he hit an oncoming motorcycle head on as he drove over the double yellow on corner after corner, it's ok because he was justified in behaving that way? Absolutely not. I'd love to know what the cops did.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #162
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Not exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
Both the bikers and the truck driver are STUPID drivers. The proper thing would've been for the bikers to slow down and wait for the truck driver to pull over so that they could pass. You NEVER cross double yellow lines. The truck driver shouldn't have gotten into his road rage and try to hit/block the biker.

Once both acts have occurred they're BOTH at fault.
They may be "both at fault", but they are NOT both at fault for equal crimes. They're both at fault for VERY different grievances, one a traffic infraction and the other attempted murder. Very different beasts there. There are many times when passing on a double yellow with good sight distance is perfectly safe, and on a bike, it's usually safer to not be behind cages, particularly on spirited rides like this one. How do we know that the truck wasn't already purposely acting to frustrate the rider by driving 30 MPH slower than the limit just to spite the rider, riding the brake, etc? It may have been in the rider's best interest to get away from this a-hole.
Even David Hough mentions in his book, Proficient Motorcycling, that many roads are painted double yellow these days when they shouldn't be. It's easier and cheaper to just paint them all consistently double yellow, so in some areas, that has been done. Yes, if the guy got caught passing, he deserved a ticket as anyone does who passes illegally (or speeds, or doesn't stop with both feet down at a stop sign, etc), but he did NOT deserve to be nearly run off the road and hit with a truck!

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #163
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
When we're riding in the mtns, we pass on double yellow all day long. If you don't you get stuck behind an RV or Grandpa in his Buick doing 35 in a 55 zone for miles of winding double yellow, blech. Just because a pass might not be legal, that doesn't mean its unsafe. It also doesn't justify attempted homicide. I would have passed the truck too.
+1

Old May 28th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #164
Linuss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperw View Post
well your all going to yell at me but when the cops see that it was a double soild line the cop just just to say its his own fault.Just like if you j walk and get hit you S O L
Difference between a driver not seeing the pedestrian illegally crossing, and a driver aiming for the pedestrian crossing, than driving all over the sidewalks and down one way streets just to run the jaywalker over.
Linuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #165
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liber View Post
It
At the same time, the driver is being pursued by Rider B>Rider A stops at next stop sign, for God knows what reason, but probably to confront the driver(real smart btw, a double yellow line won't stop him but a stop sign will)>Rider B dismounts and approaches driver in his vehicle>At this point a confrontation seems eminent, and it's 2 armored individuals against one wife beater, the potential for the truck driver to pull a gun here is incredibly high.
asking for it.

Well, if you've ever ridden in a group ride (or even a duo) in the mountains on a long trip, you know the rider in front stops at most intersections to wait on the other rider(s). I'm sure the rider had agreed to stop at the end of the road and wait for the other to figure out which direction to turn.

Old May 28th, 2011, 04:26 PM   #166
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
Well, if you've ever ridden in a group ride (or even a duo) in the mountains on a long trip, you know the rider in front stops at most intersections to wait on the other rider(s). I'm sure the rider had agreed to stop at the end of the road and wait for the other to figure out which direction to turn.
Also, if you listen carefully, you'll hear that the two riders were brothers. Of course they were going to reunite ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Did this video make the news up there?

As far as why the second rider didn't run off and hide, I think that is only proper group biking etiquette. The whole point of going in a group is so that if you get in trouble, someone has your back. If you plan to run and hide the minute there is trouble, I don't want you riding with me.
Uhh... it's also HIS BROTHER.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 06:26 PM   #167
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
This video reminds me of a time I was targeted by rednecks in a big 4x4 truck with absolutely NO provocation! I was on a very popular road outside of Clayton, Ga called War Woman. This is a very tricky, technical road with varying tight turns, camber changes, and frequent debris in the corners. I was riding along at a nice spirited mountain pace when a huge jacked up truck appeared behind me and tailed me within inches. I'd lose him a bit in the corners, but he always caught up to me in the short straights. Hubby was way, way up ahead and wouldn't be able to see what was going on. I was on my own, a little chick on a 250 with 2 rednecks in a big a** truck scaring the hell out of me. My options: Ride like a bat out of hell and try to escape or pull over and be a sitting duck out there on my own. I rode it out thinking I had more of a chance with Lil' Ninj than I did on my own against those two! It was the scariest, most tense mountain riding I've ever done, but thank God I made it. Finally after about 10 miles, they turned onto another road.
Ever since then, yes, as a defensive method, I stereotype cars and drivers...soccer moms with the bumper stickers in mini-vans, rednecks in big trucks, and I won't keep listing, though there are many others. ;-)

Old May 28th, 2011, 06:56 PM   #168
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Profiling saves lives. (As does grammar)
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #169
Too40gawlf
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa!

Quote:
This video reminds me of a time I was targeted by rednecks in a big 4x4 truck with absolutely NO provocation! I was on a very popular road outside of Clayton, Ga called War Woman. This is a very tricky, technical road with varying tight turns, camber changes, and frequent debris in the corners. I was riding along at a nice spirited mountain pace when a huge jacked up truck appeared behind me and tailed me within inches. I'd lose him a bit in the corners, but he always caught up to me in the short straights. Hubby was way, way up ahead and wouldn't be able to see what was going on. I was on my own, a little chick on a 250 with 2 rednecks in a big a** truck scaring the hell out of me. My options: Ride like a bat out of hell and try to escape or pull over and be a sitting duck out there on my own. I rode it out thinking I had more of a chance with Lil' Ninj than I did on my own against those two! It was the scariest, most tense mountain riding I've ever done, but thank God I made it. Finally after about 10 miles, they turned onto another road.
Ever since then, yes, as a defensive method, I stereotype cars and drivers...soccer moms with the bumper stickers in mini-vans, rednecks in big trucks, and I won't keep listing, though there are many others. ;-)
Sorry to hear that story Ally, I hope their HIV infested uncle raped them both later. If I ever see something like that being done to a biker when Im driving my own cage, things arent going to go the way the scum who is doing that thinks they will.
Too40gawlf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #170
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

too40.....
you're absolutely right about understanding what was really going on in that vid but like i said...what does it show ?
Maybe in front of Judge Judy the biker might possibly win the contest but in any court they'd both walk away with fines and while the trucker could be accused of being a crappy driver, the biker intentionally violated a law.
If you dont know by now, you may find out....courts dont like us.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #171
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
too40.....
you're absolutely right about understanding what was really going on in that vid but like i said...what does it show ?
Maybe in front of Judge Judy the biker might possibly win the contest but in any court they'd both walk away with fines and while the trucker could be accused of being a crappy driver, the biker intentionally violated a law.
In case you haven't heard the updates, in this case it's been just the opposite. The last update was that the police weren't that concerned about the ONE traffic violation from ONE biker. They were however pursuing heavy charges and jail time on the trucker.

Plus anyone that can get that idea from that video is not a motorcyclist. No offense, but there is no way a judge and jury would get what you got from it. Just by suggesting it you make yourself look like less of a motorcyclist, just saying. The courts are far more intelligent then rednecks that might try to claim that's what happened. But anyone with 2 brain cells can plainly see that's nowhere near the truth. No trucker (especially a drunk driving redneck) will ever be scared of a single "crotch rocket" rider. I've known too many rednecks, they don't know how to be scared behind the wheel of a pickup truck.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 02:42 AM   #172
RhinoJC
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Quote:
too40.....
Courts are required by law to stay unbiased, meaning any judgement with a bias needs to be explained with an unbiased rational. That line can only be pushed so far. If the judge hadn't thrown the book at that redneck I can almost guarantee his/her seat on the bench would be in jeopardy.

As far as Judge Judy, she is pretty much the textbook definition of everything that is wrong with the American judicial system, hence the reason she's a small claims joke.
RhinoJC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #173
CnnmnSchnpps
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dmitri

Motorcycle(s): TBD

Assault with a deadly weapon. The biker should press charges and the dude in the truck should do time.
CnnmnSchnpps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #174
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
That vid would get the bikers in trouble, not the trucker.
Uh, no. Apparently you haven't been following the whole thread, but the DA charged the redneck with DUI plus a few other things. I think reckless driving, brandishing a weapon and attempted manslaughter were in the mix. The illegal(?) pass was not considered because its only an infraction and not a felony. The redneck is facing 24 years unless he weasels out of it somehow.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #175
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linuss View Post
Difference between a driver not seeing the pedestrian illegally crossing, and a driver aiming for the pedestrian crossing, than driving all over the sidewalks and down one way streets just to run the jaywalker over.
Good analogy.

Old May 29th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #176
Racer x

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
If you look at the first pass by the biker there was a clear line of sight down the road for a good 1/4 mile. The truck on the other hand crossed the line completly with both wheels over the double yellow at least five times and crossed the yellow line numerous other times with no line of sight . He was crossing the yellow on blind curves.
If you listen to the audeo the redneck says it was because they where on rice burners .and he said he grew up on that road and could drive anyway he wanted.

If the riders where on Harleys he would have let them pass.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #177
n4mwd

Quote:
... I was targeted by rednecks in a big 4x4 truck with absolutely NO provocation! ... a huge jacked up truck appeared behind me and tailed me within inches. ...
That sounds horrible! I guess we should all learn to shoot backwards over our shoulders. I knew a guy with a beautiful laser sighted 44 automatic that would probably be perfect for biking. I think I'm going to get one.

Old May 29th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #178
Racer x

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
OK I guess this thread had made its point. BUT now for the fun stuff.

How about a rocket launcher.instead of a .44 or a GUN that says Desert Eagle five point O
http://youtu.be/qcQ5Xm1MZXw
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2011, 03:21 PM   #179
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
OK I guess this thread had made its point. BUT now for the fun stuff.

How about a rocket launcher.instead of a .44 or a GUN that says Desert Eagle five point O
http://youtu.be/qcQ5Xm1MZXw
A rear mounted RPG would discourage most tailgaters.

But seriously, how about a short length of steel chain with fence staples welded to it. For malevolent tailgaters (as opposed to the idiots that just follow too close) just drop in in their tire tracks. Tie a 6' string to it so you can drop it again if you miss.

Alternately, How about one of these. They can be mounted rear facing and have a range of about 4 feet. The flame is invisible and the moron wont even know what's happening until his radiator melts and the engine overheats. If there are plastic body parts in the way, they will be extra crispy. It might turn out to be a good, non-lethal method of controlling tailgaters.

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:48 AM   #180
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill N View Post
KKim,

My first encounter was with a guy that passed me, he turned around and looked over his right shoulder and looked me straight in the eye, then proceeded to turn into me. Only by aggressive braking was I able to not get hit. A few miles later I came upon a Highway Patrol station (Palatka Fl) and described the assault to the trouper on duty and gave him the license plate number. He yawned and said I can't do anything 'cause the guy will deny it.
And that's why I run video every inch I move now, on the bike or in the car. Have full time cameras for each mode.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:52 AM   #181
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Exactly. They want more money, but claim it will save more lives.

Well, I can't agree with you on this one entirely. If I am already speeding, say 85 in a 70, as I stated in my previous post, then I'm not getting over because someone else wants to go by at 90. This isn't Germany, and I am not driving/riding on the autobahn. If I am the slow traffic, then I am already in the right to begin with.
On all federal highways and most state highways it is the law that slower traffic yield right of way to faster traffic, presuming the lane arrangement allows it. Most states also have laws that the left lane is for passing only. In both cases it doesn't matter how fast you're going, if you're not letting them by you're committing a criminal act. Just so you know...

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:54 AM   #182
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Recording my rides for evidence in the event of something gone wrong was one of the three main reasons I wanted a camera. The others were for just remembering good rides and trying to pay attention to mistakes.

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:57 AM   #183
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I DON'T think he was trying to run anyone over. He was attempting to block, realized that he nearly caused a potentially deadly accident, then tried to get away from the witness that was now tailing him. He may have wanted the bike in front to feel threatened so that they would both pull over and he could go on, but he was probably just panicing at that point. He may have thought they would jump him (hence, the crowbar) or knew that they were going to call the police.
I'm assuming this is a parody, because if not someone needs to start taking their meds again.

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:01 AM   #184
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
hell, I would have stopped following him, period.
I wouldn't have stopped, because that video would be key critical evidence if the driver had succeeded in killing the rider by rear-ending him. I'd feel horrible for the rest of my life if I'd stopped following, then came across my buddy's body, and no video to convict the driver with. Heck, the driver could claim, with no video of the collision, that he'd stopped following the rider and the rider just crashed out and died on his own.

Old May 31st, 2011, 08:59 AM   #185
CnnmnSchnpps
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dmitri

Motorcycle(s): TBD

Quote:
Uh, no. Apparently you haven't been following the whole thread, but the DA charged the redneck with DUI plus a few other things. I think reckless driving, brandishing a weapon and attempted manslaughter were in the mix. The illegal(?) pass was not considered because its only an infraction and not a felony. The redneck is facing 24 years unless he weasels out of it somehow.
Awesome! Kudos to the cops and DA for getting this one right and to the tailing rider for keeping a level head and getting it all on film.

Definitely a good reason to keep the gopro on at alltimes

I hope he rots in jail. Here's to cleaning up the gene pool
CnnmnSchnpps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2011, 07:22 PM   #186
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
And that's why I run video every inch I move now, on the bike or in the car. Have full time cameras for each mode.
I'd be curious as to what kind of cameras you have. I want some too, front and back, but haven't found any I like yet. I want something permanently mounted (concealed) in the bike and runs off the bikes battery. And also recycles the storage space on the memory card.

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:54 AM   #187
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I'd be curious as to what kind of cameras you have. I want some too, front and back, but haven't found any I like yet. I want something permanently mounted (concealed) in the bike and runs off the bikes battery. And also recycles the storage space on the memory card.
+1

Old June 1st, 2011, 05:57 AM   #188
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

So they were already cleared but this was posted on another forum discussing it:

"From one of the riders:

TO ANYONE SAYING THE MOTORCYCLES BROKE THE LAW,YOU CAN PASS ON THE DOUBLE YELLOW IN KY,PA, AND SOME OTHER STATES WITHIN CERTAIN CONDITIONS. The police reviewed the videos and cleared both of wrong doing, the truck was going below the speed limit, driver was charged with attmepted murder.."

So looks like I was correct that it wasn't even against the law to pass. Some of those laws are written with poor wording, where it says they would not recommend doing it but it never states you can't do it. If someone in KY can't confirm that it would be nice, I know that is how it goes in Vermont.
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:03 AM   #189
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
What you're looking for is overwrite recording and multiple camera inputs. I've been looking for two years and the only decent one I've found (out of a handful of candidates) is the Stack Electronics line of products: http://www.stackltd.com/digital-video-logger.html

However, they run over $2,000 for a basic setup and I'm still debating if I want to pull the trigger on one. Until then, I'm still using my ContourHD, and may get a second one for aft recording. Disadvantages of it and the GoPro are the fields of view are so wide that even at HD resolution license plates are unreadable at distances further away than a car length.

If you Google "motorcycle mobile dvr" you'll find some other units.

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:29 AM   #190
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
What you're looking for is overwrite recording and multiple camera inputs. I've been looking for two years and the only decent one I've found (out of a handful of candidates) is the Stack Electronics line of products: http://www.stackltd.com/digital-video-logger.html

However, they run over $2,000 for a basic setup and I'm still debating if I want to pull the trigger on one. Until then, I'm still using my ContourHD, and may get a second one for aft recording. Disadvantages of it and the GoPro are the fields of view are so wide that even at HD resolution license plates are unreadable at distances further away than a car length.

If you Google "motorcycle mobile dvr" you'll find some other units.
Those look like the DVR backup system we used for the security system where I used to work. They also had stand-alone "multiplexors" that would take multiple camera inputs and display them in a grid as one camera output (you could configure the size, arrangement, and number of grid parts). I've wanted a portable version of something like that so that I could use a several cheap composite video cameras and a single-channel portable DVR to record front, back, POV, and gauges simultaneously. I've spent hours looking around and can't really find anything that does this. Have you come across anything like that? Perhaps a mobile DVR unit with functionality like that built-in? If the thing you linked to is the same size as the ones I remember, they aren't the most mobile devices!

Old June 1st, 2011, 06:57 AM   #191
n4mwd

Quote:
However, they run over $2,000 for a basic setup and I'm still debating if I want to pull the trigger on one.
I've been debating whether I should just build one. I was hoping to find something cheap, but at $2000, building one sounds more appealing.

I could run several USB HD webcams into a single box for recording into a single transport stream. Also, I might go with a solid state hard drive rather than a flash card. The flash cards are rather limited in terms of recording speed.

Old June 1st, 2011, 07:22 AM   #192
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I'm gonna have to go with the redneck on this one.

Werd to yo mutha:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-ggressive View Post
Those damn motorcycle guys were driving way too fast for those roads.
And that guy in the truck was in total control of his vehicle. Did you notice his lines, perfect NASCAR style and drunk im sure. Im going with the redneck on this one.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 10:27 AM   #193
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Got some more info on this....

Rumor has it, this guy was singled out by a larger group of riders a few miles before the 2 riders in the video. The larger group 15+ sport bikes all gave him a hard time as they passed.

Talked to the sheriff in Pendleton Co., route 10 cuts through that county to and borders bracken county. He said he had no info on the charges that this guy had on him, but he did know of stepped up police presence on 10 and 22. This increase will be for a while and focus on weekends between 10am and 2pm. That to me seems focused on the bikers in general though.

Also, a local cop said he had seen the vid and commented; if you look close, he didn’t attempt to willfully and knowingly harass any other rider (the single white bike in the oncoming lane). As I know this road and look at the video slowing it down right before the white bike passes by, you can clearly see the truck driver moves into his lane…. Still unacceptable, but shows further he must have been chasing down the first rider. The cop also mentioned… why did the truck driver stop in the first place and why did he stay knowing the cops where being called? He must have wanted his voice to be heard.

The police that I talked to about this remained unbiased. “I know those bikers speed down that road. They go down every weekend and we gotta go clean up the mess.” “That guy in the truck is going to kill someone driving like that.” He ended with “Blocking like that only belongs on the TV watching Nascar or a race track. It is never acceptable to block in that manner on a public road.” "Getting out of the truck with a weapon is not good and further shows bad intentions."

I also went to a little local store on route 10 just 1 mile from my house. The locals (bunch of old farmers) are resorting to throwing gravel and sand down in front of their houses to slow the bikers down (could be just a rumor). Interesting how different they treat me, as I road my ninja to that little store, chatting with them about the speeders (cars included) that fly by all the while dressed in leather, holding my helmet in hand. They don't know me, I don't know them but all it takes is a little respect for others on and off the road. Sad that the excessive speed of a few will ruin it for the others.

The only “quality” item left to add to this thread is about education. If it looks fast, sounds fast, it must be going fast. That is the perception that most of the cagers have around here. When I tell them I keep my rpms up for the power coming out of curves, but only going 45mph, it starts to sink in that I am not the threatening speed demon they once seen me to be. “Sure it looks fast, sure it sounds fast, but compared to a car, I am not traveling much faster than you. And don’t tell me you have never went over the speed limit by 5mph”.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 11:05 AM   #194
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Very interesting Chris. Thanks for the update.

Old June 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM   #195
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Rumor has it, this guy was singled out by a larger group of riders a few miles before the 2 riders in the video. The larger group 15+ sport bikes all gave him a hard time as they passed.

Thanks for the update. I definitely want to know what happens to the drunk. Maybe they will make an example out of him.

However, I'm trying to figure out how a bunch of guys on motorcycles could possibly harass a guy in a pickup truck as they passed. Perhaps the bikes each made a certain syllable as they passed similar to the Budweiser frogs.

Ninja 250: "Yewwwwwwwwwwww"
Cruiser: "Duuuuuhhhhhhmmmmmm"
CBR 250R: "Reddddddddddddddddd"
ZX-14: "Nnnnnnnnehhhhhk"

I think realistically that if the redneck had not been drunk he would have been able to control his hatred of sport bikers a little better.

As far as why he didn't run, there may have been any number of reasons.
1) He thought the sheriff would side with him;
2) He wanted to stay and fight;
3) He knew he couldn't possibly get away;

Old June 1st, 2011, 12:47 PM   #196
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Don’t know how they harassed the truck driver, but your syllable theory is not only hilarious, but strangly accurate as well.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2011, 01:23 PM   #197
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Have you never seen The Road Warrior or played Road Rash? Every rider carries chains and clubs. Duh Sport bikes all come equipped with Katanas and Nunchaku. Tourers come with super soakers and nerf guns. And...

Old June 1st, 2011, 02:23 PM   #198
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I've been debating whether I should just build one. I was hoping to find something cheap, but at $2000, building one sounds more appealing.

I could run several USB HD webcams into a single box for recording into a single transport stream. Also, I might go with a solid state hard drive rather than a flash card. The flash cards are rather limited in terms of recording speed.
As long as they can handle the bitrate of the multiple video sources simultaneously, they should be fine. I've never heard of anything requiring SSD speeds without recording multiple HD streams at once. Even then, I'd prefer SDHC or SDxC because I could swap in another card if I needed to archive one after an event and each channel could have a separate SD card all to itself. Most people don't carry around multiple/spare SSDs! Of course, CF uses and IDE interface so you could adapt any SSD or HDD to connect.

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM   #199
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
As long as they can handle the bitrate of the multiple video sources simultaneously, they should be fine. I've never heard of anything requiring SSD speeds without recording multiple HD streams at once. Even then, I'd prefer SDHC or SDxC because I could swap in another card if I needed to archive one after an event and each channel could have a separate SD card all to itself. Most people don't carry around multiple/spare SSDs! Of course, CF uses and IDE interface so you could adapt any SSD or HDD to connect.
I thinking in terms of an HD camera (1080p preferred) in the front and an SD camera in the rear. Something with a fast shutter speed is preferable because its easier to read tag numbers from a frame if they aren't blurred. Anything else such as speed and tach can be data logged in the same transport stream. I'd like to keep the total bandwidth under 10 Mbps. To do that, I might have to sacrifice frame rate.

There are some class 10 SDHC cards out there, and I might go that route, but I would prefer having a little wiggle room. I could RAID some SD cards together to make a faster card, but a SSD is an easy and quick solution. Plus it would be nice to have a wifi server in the bike so that I could view and download any videos I want to keep.

Old June 1st, 2011, 03:53 PM   #200
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
I thinking in terms of an HD camera (1080p preferred) in the front and an SD camera in the rear. Something with a fast shutter speed is preferable because its easier to read tag numbers from a frame if they aren't blurred. Anything else such as speed and tach can be data logged in the same transport stream. I'd like to keep the total bandwidth under 10 Mbps. To do that, I might have to sacrifice frame rate.

There are some class 10 SDHC cards out there, and I might go that route, but I would prefer having a little wiggle room. I could RAID some SD cards together to make a faster card, but a SSD is an easy and quick solution. Plus it would be nice to have a wifi server in the bike so that I could view and download any videos I want to keep.
If you work out a solution I'd sure like to be in on it. The Stack products are the only thing I've seen that were small enough and of decent enough quality to work, though they don't do HD. SPECO makes a DVR but it's more for buses and such and it's pretty big and power heavy, and also doesn't do HD.