ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM   #1
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darrell

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R

Valve Adjustment Price

Hey guys quick question. I am planning on getting my valves adjusted and having a jet kit put in since I lost some low end power with the new exhaust. I got quoted $365 that is with the parts for valve adjustment and then me providing the jet. Just wanted to see if that sounds like a good deal? Thanks guys

Old June 14th, 2011, 05:45 AM   #2
whiteboy
ninjette.org member

Name: justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250r

See how much it would cost to do the jet yourself But to me that a little much to spend and I would find a diy

Old June 14th, 2011, 06:41 AM   #3
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

I'd invest that money in tools and DIY the whole adjustment and install if you feel comfortable with it/mechanically inclined. There are a lot of FAQs and videos online for visual aid if it's your first time.

If you're in a apartment complex or no access to a garage then that seems like a ok price for a shop to do it. The only thing I can think of to knock down the price is if you strip down the bike, put it in the back of a truck and take it down there. Might lower the price by $50-$100. If that's possible get another quote saying your bike will come in stripped down. I find to disassemble and assemble the bike harder then checking the valves. lol.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #4
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Correction ithat price includes the jet kit and tuning it correctly

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

That's a good price. Valve adjustments run anywhere from 125-175. Add in the jet kit and time to tune and you're in the right ball park.

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #6
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

actually that price now includes them installing the K&N pod filter as well ... Im starting to like this place

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #7
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

I do live in a townhome so no access to a garage. This is a very good shop probably 2 miles down from the dealership. I checked the dealer to see how much they would charge and $400 for the valve adjustment includes oil change, oil filter, new seals, air filter and spark plugs. To install and tune the jet kit that I need to provide would cost $300 PLUS the jet kit!

Old June 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #8
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

I paid a guy who worked as a tech who claimed to know how to adjust valve $50 to check my valves...we worked together (and I learned the process). Honestly, I can tell he never worked on the newer gen 250 before but he knows what to look for when the valve cover was pulled...
It wasn't hard at all...do it yourself and save a bunch. My valves were still in spect after 8K miles. Next time I'll do it myself for sure. It does take a little time though.
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #9
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

If the bike was like my weekend ride i would probably have attempted this myself because i like a challenge and it feels good when accomplished BUT right now this is my main mode of transportation. I have 13k miles on it and never had it checked before. I can't afford for something to take a wrong turn and it take me even longer to get my bike back up and running! I was gonna do the jet kit and air filter myself but if they have it apart there then why not? especially if they will tune it for me

Old June 14th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #10
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

For what it's worth, this thread has prices from a bunch of other people that have had their valves checked by shops (including me for my first valve check), or at least inquired about it. $300 for valves + jetting, pod and tuning it seems like an outright steal. I had to leave my bike with the shop for several days for them to do everything, so be prepared. The valve check + maintenance is doable in a day, but add in the jetting & tuning, it'll be a LONG day for the mechanics.

That said, make SURE you ask them for both before and after clearance measurements on your valves. They have to take them anyway to do the adjustments, so it's no extra time for them. It'll tell you how bad they'd gotten and will (help) prove they actually looked at them.

Old June 15th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Even independent shops quote me $280+ in San Diego. That's valves ONLY.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 08:16 AM   #12
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
For what it's worth, this thread has prices from a bunch of other people that have had their valves checked by shops (including me for my first valve check), or at least inquired about it. $300 for valves + jetting, pod and tuning it seems like an outright steal. I had to leave my bike with the shop for several days for them to do everything, so be prepared. The valve check + maintenance is doable in a day, but add in the jetting & tuning, it'll be a LONG day for the mechanics.

That said, make SURE you ask them for both before and after clearance measurements on your valves. They have to take them anyway to do the adjustments, so it's no extra time for them. It'll tell you how bad they'd gotten and will (help) prove they actually looked at them.
Yea they said they will have to order in the parts so it will be a couple days but whatever to see the difference of $365 here vs. like $900 at the dealer im cool with

Old June 15th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #13
demonchild
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Oscar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki ninja 250R

That price is really steep to have valve adjusted and jetted. I had my bike in for a jett and valve adjustment @ Performance cycle for $180, but total bill was $220 they also did oil change and adjusted my chain. Their labor rate is $80 an hour. I brought in the jett kit and oil filter only bought oil from them. Could have done oil myself but since they offered I said what the hell. I believe their is a Performance cycle shop in Pensacola Fl, don't know where your at in Florida. Hope it works out for you.
demonchild is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM   #14
WOTurtle
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): 09' 250 ARRRRRR

I have almost 12k on my bike and have not had the valves checked either. A local shop here in columbia quoted me 350 just to adjust the valves. I kinda have noticed some power loss, and even a little hesitation at WOT. Could they be that much too tight by now? Stock bike, 2 shims, no snorkle. Sorry to threadjack.
WOTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #15
lonewolf05
ninjette.org guru

all good man! Yea i am at 13k miles now and never had them check until now. I just had a full exhaust and 3 washers with no snorkle. I can post up the measurements when i get my bike back!

Old June 15th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #16
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOTurtle View Post
I have almost 12k on my bike and have not had the valves checked either. A local shop here in columbia quoted me 350 just to adjust the valves. I kinda have noticed some power loss, and even a little hesitation at WOT. Could they be that much too tight by now? Stock bike, 2 shims, no snorkle. Sorry to threadjack.
That could be valves getting way out of whack, restricting influx of gas (amongst other things). Alternately it could be some jets accumulating crud. Either way, you're way overdue for some service, I'd get it done before something happens that'll cost more.

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #17
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momaru View Post
That could be valves getting way out of whack, restricting influx of gas (amongst other things). Alternately it could be some jets accumulating crud. Either way, you're way overdue for some service, I'd get it done before something happens that'll cost more.
I get the impression that valve adjustments often cost in the range of 3 - 400 USD. What does it translate to in work hours?
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2014, 12:04 PM   #18
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
depends on the skill of mechanic and if anything needs to be replaced, most often it takes longer stripping the bike down then it does to do the adjustment.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #19
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
depends on the skill of mechanic and if anything needs to be replaced, most often it takes longer stripping the bike down then it does to do the adjustment.
Like always, when humans (and bikes) are involved, there will be huge variations.
It probably follows some statistical distribution, with some average
number of hours and a standard deviation.
Given that a large number of Ninja 250 R owners answered, we could start
making a graph similar to the one to the upper right corner in the link below..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2014, 03:20 PM   #20
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norway (MORE LIKE SNOREWAY) View Post
I get the impression that valve adjustments often cost in the range of 3 - 400 USD. What does it translate to in work hours?
I just did this a week ago. It had been a long time since I had done any work requiring front fairing removal, and I had to look up each step and be really methodical, so it basically took me all day to do it. Now that I've done it once, I think I could do it again in about 4 hours. I was able to get to the valve cover in under an hour the second time I took everything apart to fix my oil leak. So I figure another couple hours to actually check the valves, take the camshafts out, shuffle the shims around, and put the camshafts back in, and then another hour to put everything back together again. Don't forget to test for oil leaks before you put the fairings back on!
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote