ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 7th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

Break In

What would be the best way for a new rider to break in a new bike? I've read the article by MotoMan, http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm , but it doesn't really help since I won't be able to ride the bike hard as soon as I get it.. Just riding around in a parking lot doesn't seem like a good idea according to that article, but would follow the manual's break in method I guess.
There is a motorcycle performance center here that's owned by a mechanic who breaks in motorcycles.. would that be something I should consider? As long as it doesn't cost me hundreds of dollars..

Suggestions?
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

dont lug the bikes motor and dont keep it in one rpm for too long of a time.
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Break-in

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 7th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I rode around deserted back roads where I wouldn't hold up traffic by only doing 35ish mph.

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM   #5
raybolic
ninjette.org member

Name: Rei

Motorcycle(s): Ninja250R

For the first 400KM I only brought the ninja up to 6k rpm. Then every 100km thereafter I increase my rpm by 1k. I changed oil at 500km.
raybolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #6
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

The manual says to run the bike varied between hard and medium, with lots of engine braking. Mototune says to run the bike hard with lots of engine braking. It's easier to run the bike hard at lower rpms anyway. There's not nearly as much difference between the methods as people like to think. Don't be afraid to use lots of full throttle and lots of engine braking. The most important thing is probably changing the oil soon as possible. Keeping the engine revs low will inspire you to ride it harder and use more throttle if you actually want to get to your destination at a reasonable time. The only really confusing part about break-in procedures is that it's a kinda scary way to learn to ride...of course, I don't think new riders should buy brand new bikes for learning anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
He is getting a 650 which has ridiculous torque in the low end so I wouldn't recommend riding it hard at all, simply because it will be too much to control. The throttle on this bike is super jerky in the low gears so a steady hand is essential. Forget about breakin and just get comfortable on the bike.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #8
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
He is getting a 650 which has ridiculous torque in the low end so I wouldn't recommend riding it hard at all, simply because it will be too much to control. The throttle on this bike is super jerky in the low gears so a steady hand is essential. Forget about breakin and just get comfortable on the bike.
yeah, that changes things. Let a friend break it in for 20 miles, change the oil, and proceed to learn and ride at your own pace. Uh.....stupid question: if the 650 is your first and only bike, why are you asking us how to break it in? Not that we don't welcome you, I'm just confused.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #9
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
yeah, that changes things. Let a friend break it in for 20 miles, change the oil, and proceed to learn and ride at your own pace. Uh.....stupid question: if the 650 is your first and only bike, why are you asking us how to break it in? Not that we don't welcome you, I'm just confused.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lol well I joined the forum in Feb and at the time I was planning on getting a 250 :P

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #10
akshay11
ninjette.org member

There's actually a motorcycle performance store here, and the mechanic who runs it is willing to break in the bike and do an oil change+filter for $50. Said ~60-90mins to do it all. Seems reasonable? An oil change+filter is usually $30 there, so hes breaking it in for $20 it seems.. getting paid to ride a bike lol. Fun.

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #11
raybolic
ninjette.org member

From what I heard, changing oil that early is a waste.. Not much metal residue is left behind from just 20miles. But then again if you have money, it's better than not doing it.

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybolic View Post
From what I heard, changing oil that early is a waste.. Not much metal residue is left behind from just 20miles. But then again if you have money, it's better than not doing it.
The initial break in hones down a fair bit of metal, getting it out early keeps it from getting thrown around the engine and finding places to hide

2l of oil & a KN-401 filter are under £30 (retail price, cost's the shop less), a brand new Ninja 250 is £4650, it's not cheeky to ask for a few freebies when you're spending that sort of cash.

$50 for a dyno break in sounds good, get a printout of how it's running too
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #13
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
The initial break in hones down a fair bit of metal, getting it out early keeps it from getting thrown around the engine and finding places to hide

2l of oil & a KN-401 filter are under £30 (retail price, cost's the shop less), a brand new Ninja 250 is £4650, it's not cheeky to ask for a few freebies when you're spending that sort of cash.

$50 for a dyno break in sounds good, get a printout of how it's running too
Yeah $50 for break in including oil and filter. I'm not sure if it's a dyno break in or street though. Will find out soon. I was thinking I could have the dealer deliver the bike to the mechanic's store instead, and take care of the final payment etc, that way the bike will already be there ready for it to be broken in. Hopefully I can get him to ride it back to my house though lol.. I'm not going to be riding on the freeway the first time I ride the bike.

EDIT: Break in is on the street not on a dyno.

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #14
raybolic
ninjette.org member

0-20km yes it will have some metal shaving.. but not as much as 20-100km. If you think getting oil change at 20km is required, might as well do it every 100km thereafter too.

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #15
DownByFive
@TwoWheelsDC

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Maybe I'm crazy or ignorant, but I just rode my bike like normal. I mean, I didn't redline or anything for the first 1000 miles (given the power curve, that's dumb regardless). I seriously doubt it will have a measurable impact on performance or engine life.
DownByFive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #16
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybolic View Post
0-20km yes it will have some metal shaving.. but not as much as 20-100km. If you think getting oil change at 20km is required, might as well do it every 100km thereafter too.
I never said I think you need an oil change at 20miles. I honestly don't have much knowledge about the break in process apart from what I've read. I've read alot of different articles and so was just putting it out there that some said the critical part is the first 20 miles. The mechanic that I was talking to said his method involves riding it for 20 miles in a certain way and then changing out the oil and filter. The dealer I bought the bike from said just change it at 500 miles.

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I just had mine changed for the first time at 700 miles. My bike has not exploded
AFM #676

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #18
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I just had mine changed for the first time at 700 miles. My bike has not exploded
That's because you made that utube vid of nearly red lining it at 167 miles. Was good luck

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay11 View Post
That's because you made that utube vid of nearly red lining it at 167 miles. Was good luck
She likes it rough
AFM #676

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #20
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I was on the same boat as you. I did the first hundred or two at the recommended rpm, but that was mostly around the neighborhood and side streets where I could only do 25 to 30 MPH. Then someone suggested to keep it at about 6k max, which gets you up to 50 MPH, and just do an oil change or two before the 600 mark. So thats what I did, rode at 6k (50 MPH max) and did an oil change at 400, the 600. People do suggest getting it at 200, then 400, then 600, and I would suggest that too if you can. But if you cant, then do it atleast once near the 3 or 400 mark if you can. As you can see above, not doing so wont exactly blow up your bike.

Ride as fast as you need to be safe and not a hazard on the road, and change out the oil if possible. If you're brand brand new, I would suggest to do what I did, and practice a little on neighborhood streets and any slow back streets that you have. Then follow the 6k rule. Just stay away from redline pretty much though.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #21
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Just ride normally and be wary of the torque of the 650 and slippery new tires. Change the oil when the maintenance schedule comes up and your bike will be just fine. Kawasaki already ran the engine before shipping and the "brand new" bike may have a mile or two on the odometer from the dealership. Did they change the oil each time? Hell no.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:22 AM   #22
killermase
ninjette.org member

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 2504

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownByFive View Post
Maybe I'm crazy or ignorant, but I just rode my bike like normal. I mean, I didn't redline or anything for the first 1000 miles (given the power curve, that's dumb regardless). I seriously doubt it will have a measurable impact on performance or engine life.
Same here. The only thing I avoided was the highway initially, but there's no way in the world I was shifting into 6th gear to go 35 mph. Take the board for the few hundred miles then ride it like you stole it.
killermase is offline   Reply With Quote