Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 30th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #1
-kj-
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

protective pants??

Hi Everyone,
I am looking into 2 options for pants while riding. I decided on knee armor already so I am just worried about which would actually protect you better.

My first option is the dainese d6 kevlar jeans. I really don't know much about these. It says its weaved with kevlar yarn but it seems like it hasn't been tested anywhere. I tried them on at the store and they felt thicker for jeans and definitely had a slimmer fit compared to all the other brands out there.

My second option is using draggin kevlar liners. I like this just because you can use it under any pants but Im just not completely sold on them. It seems like they would make your pants bulky and make it warm.

Any info on any of these two products would be great. Thanks in advance.
-kj- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Osiris
ninjette.org member

Name: Howie

Motorcycle(s): None Yet, but looking for a 250

not much experience

hey! I've been doing a bit of research as well on buying protective gear. Its hot here in Virginia right now, and I'm expecting us to get up into the 100s again this summer cause its already scorching out if you ask me.

One thing I have found with the jeans is that they're not held to any sort of standard as far as how much kevlar they need to have on the inside. One review I saw of them though gave a lot of information and I wish I could link, but I don't have the link now.

They turned the jeans inside out. When you do that you can see where the jeans are done with kevlar and where the actual jean material is. In a lot of jeans they don't cover so much.

One big problem of course with the jeans is that along the seams they're not made of kevlar so it seems fairly common that even though they have kevlar sewn in they are still susceptible to tearing apart. I've read a lot of those articles myself. I have seen a few pairs that were made a lot better then others though, so if you're dead set on getting these over leather pants I would flip them inside out and look at how they are stitched together. Because once you go into a slide, and they rip apart there isn't anything holding the kevlar in place anymore. An important thing they pointed out was kevlar stiched up the sides of the jeans to prevent them from tearing apart. Some jeans were not fully stiched around the kevlar so that part of it was still hanging.

Also Draggin jeans apparently has a co-joint operation with an Australian company, and I've heard some stories about those jeans not being held up to the same standards as the American made ones. So be careful when buying these jeans that you get the better made stuff. Dainese obviously has a good reputation and they've been around for a while, but I would still check those out before buying them.

Also I found the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7SoPcypNxg they talk about a certain jean, but you can apply this knowledge to all the jeans.

Last futzed with by Osiris; May 30th, 2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: more info
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #3
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

The ones i'm currently looking into are AVG Sport Telluride H20

Removable rain liner as well as a removable quilted cold weather liner.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 09:08 PM   #4
-kj-
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
hey! I've been doing a bit of research as well on buying protective gear. Its hot here in Virginia right now, and I'm expecting us to get up into the 100s again this summer cause its already scorching out if you ask me.

One thing I have found with the jeans is that they're not held to any sort of standard as far as how much kevlar they need to have on the inside. One review I saw of them though gave a lot of information and I wish I could link, but I don't have the link now.

They turned the jeans inside out. When you do that you can see where the jeans are done with kevlar and where the actual jean material is. In a lot of jeans they don't cover so much.

One big problem of course with the jeans is that along the seams they're not made of kevlar so it seems fairly common that even though they have kevlar sewn in they are still susceptible to tearing apart. I've read a lot of those articles myself. I have seen a few pairs that were made a lot better then others though, so if you're dead set on getting these over leather pants I would flip them inside out and look at how they are stitched together. Because once you go into a slide, and they rip apart there isn't anything holding the kevlar in place anymore. An important thing they pointed out was kevlar stiched up the sides of the jeans to prevent them from tearing apart. Some jeans were not fully stiched around the kevlar so that part of it was still hanging.

Also Draggin jeans apparently has a co-joint operation with an Australian company, and I've heard some stories about those jeans not being held up to the same standards as the American made ones. So be careful when buying these jeans that you get the better made stuff. Dainese obviously has a good reputation and they've been around for a while, but I would still check those out before buying them.

Also I found the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7SoPcypNxg they talk about a certain jean, but you can apply this knowledge to all the jeans.
Interesting. Yea, most jeans I've seen usually dont cover all of it. This is why i am leaning towards the the two options of the liners and dainese d6. The d6 definitely felt thicker than regular jeans due to the kevlar.

Old May 31st, 2012, 09:10 PM   #5
-kj-
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
The ones i'm currently looking into are AVG Sport Telluride H20

Removable rain liner as well as a removable quilted cold weather liner.
Those look pretty nice. I kind of want something that you can wear out.