ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #1
DsmRacing
ninjette.org member

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Green 250R and 06 636 maybe?

Consensus on a nice tank bag for 08 250

I'm tired of wearing a backpack, so it's time to purchase a tank bag. I'm looking for one that can hold close to what a backpack can do, but also fit on an 08 250. Maybe they all do, I have no idea, so looking for suggestions and what works for others.

Thanks,

Chad
DsmRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 07:48 AM   #2
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Here's what I posted in the backpack thread. But it doubles as a tank bag when I carry heavier stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago - looking for a pack for touring and commuting. For me, though, I was preparing for a tour down in the States so in an effort to save my back I ended up looking at backpacks that convert into tankbags.

Two of the best I found out there are the:
1) Rapid Transit Recon 19 Tankbag
2) Icon Urban Tankbag

Like you I was worried about my laptop, but I've seen a couple of reviews with no problems at all to their HDD. So I've ended up with the Icon just cause the RT wouldn't have fit my 15 inch. Construction seems a little flimsy and the zippers don't seem to be the best quality, but it still feels like it'll last awhile (hopefully).

and IMO it looks alot better in person
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 08:02 AM   #3
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

Define: "Carries what a backpack can"

The 250R has a narrow tank, so alot of the tankbags don't want to sit right, the taller the tank bag the easier it is to obscure the gauges.

I have a Tourmaster "set"

The set is three parts, and there is a strap base available seperately for non-magnetic tanks. I use the top bag which can carry about 1/4 of what my Oakley pack can for a weekend trip. For daily use...it carries what I need, which generally is a small flexible lunch cooler with a light lunch, 2 1ltr bottles of water.

The LARGER bag by itself can carry quite a bit. I would say it can carry just shy of what I can stuff in my Oakley Pack if I still plan to attach my helmet to the bag. I used to pack a pair of jeans, a couple of shirts, socks, and a sweatshirt in the main compartment and then what ever sundries/toiletries I needed for a weekend jaunt. On the 250R though, that bag is to big for the tank. Constantly shifts around because the side magnets can't get a good hold. Not to mention, for me, it tends to get in the way when doing very slow speed maneuvers.

From the same company, I have the http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tail-Bag.aspx

Which I believe is more like what you are looking for, and about $30 less then I paid for mine when I got it. It does include 4 bungee hooks, so it can be attached with the solo cowl, however, the pack will sit better on the passenger seat.
wyckedflesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #4
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

I use a Rapid Transport Recon 19. It is very useful and can hold just about anything you need for day trips or commuting.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #5
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I've got one of these:

http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3121.htm

suits me better than a tankbag but you can buy tank or tail bag bases (or both!). On my daily commute it will fit my lunch, litre bottle of water, water proofs, spare shoes and jeans plus disk lock... It will also expand and expanded it would take enough for a couple of changes of clothes and stuff for a weekend away...

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #6
py2e
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): 2009 BLACK Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Here's what I posted in the backpack thread. But it doubles as a tank bag when I carry heavier stuff.
+1

Old May 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #7
sm0kediver
one disaster at a time

Name: Jody

Motorcycle(s): EX250J9

I got this one from 6th Gear, and I love it. It carries a lot of stuff and it's expandable. It will carry a full face helmet. It has hidden backpack straps. $59
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6thgearninja.JPG (47.6 KB, 27 views)
sm0kediver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #8
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

I got the fieldsheer eiffel 2 tank bag from www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Basically two tanks bags. One slightly bigger than the other. It was $59.95. I ordered the one with a strap mount, but it came with a magnetic base also...pleasant surprise. The larger bag can fit a helmet inside. The smaller bag can fit inside the larger bag too. I keep a cargo net inside, and have the option of using both bags by putting one on the tail. You can zip them too each other so they are stacked vertically, but that gets a bit tall.

Sidenote: When looking at the dimensions on their website, their including the sidepockets on the slightly larger bag being fully stiffed. But really, the larger bag is only an inch wider and longer and one or two inches deeper.

I think it's great. Most of the time I just travel with the smaller bag. I ever took the large bag to North Carolina on my flight from San Diego on a 5 day trip as my luggage. I'm sold on it.
speedgsx98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Suey250
Da Peon

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I have the Tourmaster Super 14 tank bag and it works well for me and the ninja
Suey250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
OoOooOo i like that!! Where'd you get it? I'm copying you.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #11
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
OoOooOo i like that!! Where'd you get it? I'm copying you.
I usually only go to two stores and you can always get them there - GP bikes in Ajax and Royal Distributing in Innisfill or Guelph. Great stores too btw
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #12
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
I usually only go to two stores and you can always get them there - GP bikes in Ajax and Royal Distributing in Innisfill or Guelph. Great stores too btw
Yea I actually just came back from GP where I ended up buying a Scorpion jacket.....All of this fancy luggage is gonna have to wait until the next pay cheque
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #13
dmonaco05
ninjette.org member

Name: Dom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

my joe rocket manta should be here monday. wont hold as much as a backpack but i dont really carry a lot of stuff and its small and not in the way. what do you bring with you on everyday rides and ill test fit and let you know if it can hold them or not.
dmonaco05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #14
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I use Joe Rocket Manta Bag... great for small run arounds and to offset for more storage I love the Fast Pack from "thecycleguys.com". Fit is for back pillion seat of the new gen 250.. no scratches on paint from bungee cords and hides away when not needed. Easy to get a leg up and over too. Also has luggage and racks specifically for sport style bikes.. I'm very pleased with the Fast Pack.... Has a video on its website.. check it out if you can.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #15
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

im with tim on the tank bags. My sister saw mine and wanted one too lol, little did she know it cost 100+. My point is, the icon urban tank bag is the best of both worlds. looks like a normal backpack and is an excellent tank bag as well.
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #16
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Has anyone tried or use the Firstgear Silverstone tank bag?

nb

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #17
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

Ya know what I would really like? A tank bag with a cupholder.. I NEED my coffee when I get to work... so I have a backpack that originally had a small water bottle that sits into a mesh pouch.. so I grab a coffee cup (sealable) and toss it in there.

At least Im almost ready for vacation anyway.. but would be nice to keep it straight for the 4 blocks that I go from Dunkin D's to work..

Adam

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote