ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old December 28th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Has anyone seen this movie yet? I seen it yesterday, and it was AWESOME!
The story is pretty good, but the 3-D is what really makes this movie stand out. Do your self a favor, and if you have not seen this in 3-D yet, this is a must watch.

Most human vs alien movies will have you rooting for the humans, but this one is quite different.

EDIT, thanks

Last futzed with by Cedilla; December 28th, 2009 at 04:15 PM.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have heard only good things about this movie. Thanks for the review.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

np I'm not really into this genre of movie, I'm more of a comedy person, but this movie blew me away. I really hope to see a lot more 3-D movies made in the near future.

The story will pull at your heart strings too, mostly because it is very similar to what European settlers have done to native populations over the years.

Old December 28th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I really enjoyed it as well!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #5
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D. WOW! Movies will never be the same again.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Seen it in IMAX. AMAZING. The story line, though, is a sci-fi rehash of Dances With Wolves.

Old December 28th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #7
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

I saw this Xmas day with some family, wasn't anticipating much. Wow, was I pleasantly surprised. This is the best CG animation I've ever seen; I couldn't even spot the places where they mixed it with 'real' video shots. Story progressed steadily, which is a nice change from the usual 150min movies that drag on in places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
Movies will never be the same again.
Remember that for every one film of this calibre, there's another dozen that don't hold a candle. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for all films to be this well done, but doubt it'll be happening any time in the forseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
The story line, though, is a sci-fi rehash of Dances With Wolves.
I agree completely. That said, it's a great story to rehash and rather a sobering commentary on human nature.

Definitely suggest seeing this though.

Old December 28th, 2009, 10:34 PM   #8
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

The story itself wasn't amazing but the world and the detail put into it is simply mind blowing. The animals, the fauna, the interactions, just wow.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2009, 02:09 AM   #9
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

yea..this movie just raised the bar. it looked AMAZING. everytime something exploded the detail was simply amazing. its a milestone for the movie industry. only a matter of time before movies start to look like this.
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #10
shporsche
ninjette.org member

Name: sean

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 09

Yup tops 3-D graphics and good movie.

The 3-D won me over in the Toy story add played before the movie.
When Jessie puts her hand out to touch me, i was most certainly touched.
shporsche is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Spoiler alert!!!!!

if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to know the plot, don't read further. really.

If you have seen the movie, and want a laugh (or don't plan on watching the movie), click on the attached pic...

JmRmb.jpg

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old January 4th, 2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Spoiler alert!!!!!

if you haven't seen the movie and don't want to know the plot, don't read further. really.

If you have seen the movie, and want a laugh (or don't plan on watching the movie), click on the attached pic...

Attachment 5366
Whoever did that did the same about Harry Potter and Star wars..funny stuff

Old January 5th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #13
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I liked this move. I also have a thing for blue chicks

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #14
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Yeah, Cameron has never been really strong on things like originality, plot, dialogue, character, scriptwriting and the like. As a story, the entire thing is utterly derivative. It's all been done before.

But you should definitely go see this movie (in IMAX 3D if possible) for one simple reason.

By the end of it, you will be convinced that ten-foot-tall, weirdly sexy blue people are real.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 01:31 PM   #15
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
But you should definitely go see this movie (in IMAX 3D if possible) for one simple reason.
A note on IMAX...

Check to see IMAX locations around you and if possible, go to a film IMAX, not a digital.
Digital IMAX theaters are not much different from a normal theater with a screen size around 65 feet using 2 2k- resolution projectors (the projectors are overlayed to maximize light, not resolution, so it's only a 2k resolution picture).
In comparison the film IMAX near me has a 100 foot screen that it curved to help surround. As far as resolution, film IMAX is said to be around 10k resolution, FAR more then any projector at this time.

On top of the screen size and resolution, film IMAX locations are all purpose build and feature MUCH better seating and sound.

When movies started coming out on IMAX, this first one I saw was the Dark Night. I unfortunately saw it on a digital IMAX screen and walk away relatively unimpressed. Better then a normal movie? Yes, but not quite what I had expected. I went home and researched and found my mistake. We wnt back and saw the movie again in a real (film) IMAX theater and it was completely amazing.

So do yourself a favor and see this movie in a film IMAX theater, you won't be sorry. If you goto IMAX.com and search for theaters, you can click theather details on the map and it will state weather it is a classic projection or a digital projector.
If you don't have one near you, then a digital IMAX is still a good experience and worth seeing.

Old January 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #16
Ash
ninjette.org member

Name: Ash

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

That is great info on IMAX.

I was still very impressed with Avatar on the digital 3D IMAX that I saw it on - the screen was of decent size, though not as large as classic IMAX (anyone remember "To Fly"? I saw it as a child at the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum)

According to the website there are 7 IMAX screens within a 50mi radius of where I live. Only 2 are classic IMAX, the rest are digital IMAX. One is in a science center and the other is in a museum and it appears they only show science related movies. Oh well.
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #17
Zim
ninjette.org member

Name: Zim

Motorcycle(s): '04 EX250F

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #18
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash View Post
According to the website there are 7 IMAX screens within a 50mi radius of where I live. Only 2 are classic IMAX, the rest are digital IMAX. One is in a science center and the other is in a museum and it appears they only show science related movies. Oh well.
Mine happens to be in a science center as well, The Museum of Discovery and Science in Ft Lauderdale...however they show movies there luckily. I guess being in Downtown Ft Lauderdale, it's a BIG money maker to show the movies for them.

Old January 5th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #19
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

this movie will totally change the way animation is progressing. just like jurassic park did over 15 years ago. honestly, it made the animation for lord of the rings seem elementary.

the credits filled the entire screen, i don't know how they we're able to get all the names published in less than ten minutes. the amount of brainpower and coordination was equivalent to the student body of some community colleges, for sure.

i agree, watch this in an imax theater. but don't sit next to an old dude who breathes loudly. irritating.
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #20
DaveinOH
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): None yet

I went in critical, turns out it was one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. Actually went back and saw it again a few days later.
DaveinOH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #21
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

i liked this movie alot....3D was sold out so we are going back to catch it in 3D...i haven't seen a 3D movie since that michael jackson one at disneyland as a kid
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #22
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
i liked this movie alot....3D was sold out so we are going back to catch it in 3D...i haven't seen a 3D movie since that michael jackson one at disneyland as a kid

Wow, that's over 20yrs ago when Captain EO came out.

I saw this movie in IMAX 3D........ ummm 3 times so far.

I absolutely love this movie. The story may have been done before, but I hate to break it to you but 90% of the movies brought out in the past 20 years have been of stories told before in a different way. (Independence Day was a revamp of War of the Worlds for example, the aliens are unstoppable even to a nuke strike till a 'virus' stops them...hmmmm) But the interaction of the characters, the look of the Na'Vi, how fleshed out the world was, how the 3D wasn't cheapened with silly in your face gimmicks, the sound made you feel like you were there and it was soooooo easy to forget you were merely watching a movie for over 2 1/2hrs. I'll probably go back and see it again in IMAX before it leaves theaters.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #23
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
The story may have been done before, but I hate to break it to you but 90% of the movies brought out in the past 20 years have been of stories told before in a different way.
Agreed. That seems to be the only negative comment people can come up with about this movie (it's not original). Yes, that may be true, BUT you still have to think about the thought and design that went into everything, from how to envision the scenery and people...how things react with eachother...how the people communicate with nature and tame the animals, etc. All of that is original and out of the directors mind...how he sees it. The concept isn't original, but everything put together, it is original and came out great.

Old January 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #24
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

great movie 3D kinda bothered my eyes in the beginning i wonder if they will put this on bluray w/ 3D?hoooooora!
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #25
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I finally saw this movie. Been trying for a while to get some IMAX tickets but they're been selling out at a furious rate around here.

Fantastic movie and I'll definitely see it again. Yes, this story is re-hashed, but most stories and movies are like that. To be honest, this is the best telling of this story that I've ever seen. Throw in some more winning elements from other movies (ie: the matrix), and the best CG animation ever...and you have a winning combo.

My only complaint is that this movie won't be as great when you re-watch it on a regular TV. This really is an experience you have to have in the theatre.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:52 PM   #26
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I haven't seen Avatar yet (to be honest, I may never see it), but I have read a synopsis of the storyline and I've got a question for those of you who've seen it.

I think I remember reading that the main character is a paralyzed ex-military guy. Is that correct? Also, I believe that in the story, when the spaceship reaches it's destination (a moon, right?) the human scientists are able to create bodies for the humans to somehow inhabit so they can operate in the moon's atmosphere.

Well, if they've got the technology to create whole, functional bodies then why is the story's hero stuck in a wheelchair? I mean a spinal cord injury is like a shaving nick compared to the creation of an entire body, right?
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #27
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Cost. They say that there is an operation that will give him back working legs, but it costs way more than he can afford. See the movie.

Old January 10th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #28
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Cost. They say that there is an operation that will give him back working legs, but it costs way more than he can afford. See the movie.
+1...see the movie. There's more to it than the story haha.

Old January 10th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #29
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Okay, I'm still having trouble with why the screenwriter insisted on having the main character be paralyzed. It doesn't say anything good about the Earth society when they have the resources, technology, and organization to do things like travel across the galaxy and grow/create whole new bodies based on aliens they've only just encountered, but at the same time this society won't provide an operation for a disabled military veteran.

This plot issue just doesn't work.... Man joins military and serves country. Man is seriously injured during military service to country. Country posesses medical technology capable of making this disabled veteran whole again. But no, they tell him it would cost too much? They do have the money to put together galaxy-crossing spaceships but an operation for the disabled veteran would break the bank?

That's like telling your mom you can't afford her heart medicine because you upgraded to a more expensive cellphone contract.

It might just be my 20+ years of U.S. military service that won't let me brush off the insult this represents.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Greg - watch the movie. Your indignant about the wrong parts of the plot. ;-)

He's not with the military anymore, and is basically a mercenary, but can only be such because his DNA happens to fit; has nothing to do with his injury. The galaxy-crossing spaceships in this case aren't put together by the country or any other governmental body, but are in fact mining ships doing this for profit, along with some science investment that allows these avatars (but only because the profiteers believe they will help make them money).

There are many things that happen in this movie that people can perceive as an insult to the military, but this particular one likely isn't in the top 20.

Old January 10th, 2010, 11:22 PM   #31
ScraitT
Green!

Did it ever even say if it was government military...or private military hired by the mining companies for protection?

Also after completing this mission for the military, they were going to pay for his surgery to get his legs back.

Old January 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #32
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
This plot issue just doesn't work.... Man joins military and serves country. Man is seriously injured during military service to country. Country posesses medical technology capable of making this disabled veteran whole again. But no, they tell him it would cost too much? They do have the money to put together galaxy-crossing spaceships but an operation for the disabled veteran would break the bank?
I hate to break it to you, but this sort of thing already happens now. I didn't server as long as you but I do know of thousands of disabled vets not getting the medical care or benefits they need because the VA won't accept their claim or downsize their claim/disability. Not to mention our government already spends billions on science projects now as it is.

But that's only a MINOR detail of the movie. Yes he's paralyzed, but that actually works for him mentally as he operates his Avatar. The big thing is the world itself and how fleshed out it is. Just go see the darn movie and when you do put aside this notion of it slighting the military or that's ALL you're going to see. When you go to see a movie expecting to see something negative about it you will usually find it somewhere. So go see it with an open mind and you'll love it.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 10th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #33
laraider
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r green(sold) 2009 zx6r green

great movie! worth the money. recomend
laraider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 11th, 2010, 05:46 AM   #34
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Okay, I'm still having trouble with why the screenwriter insisted on having the main character be paralyzed. It doesn't say anything good about the Earth society when they have the resources, technology, and organization to do things like travel across the galaxy and grow/create whole new bodies based on aliens they've only just encountered, but at the same time this society won't provide an operation for a disabled military veteran.

That's like telling your mom you can't afford her heart medicine because you upgraded to a more expensive cellphone contract.

It might just be my 20+ years of U.S. military service that won't let me brush off the insult this represents.
The fact that the ex-military gut is paralyzed doesn't play that much of a big role in the movie, he get excited to get his legs back as an avatar but that's it. And second their is no military, they are hired mercenaries. if I recall no country ever gets named. Get that "country" thing out of your head, this movie is pretty much about the whole human race(who destroyed their own world) wanting to invade a foreign world/species for natural ressource...

Old January 11th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #35
Flashmonkey

Quote:
As everyone has already mentioned, this is actually a minor point to the overall story of the movie...BUT it does add to the overall theme of the movie. The fact that Earth, despite having the technology available, doesn't help this man due to cost...should give you a hint as to the overall theme they're going for. And yes, this is applicable to the present day world.

Dood..seriously...watch the movie haha. Or at least download a bootleg version of it.