ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 27th, 2023, 01:01 PM   #1
Ninjathyme
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Tire options for running down the gravel roads

I probably should have bought a klx250 but they don’t really pop up in my area. Commuting wise the local roads in the area I can switch up my commute to be mostly gravel or road riding. I do like riding gravel, and have done a few rides to town via gravel.

Has anyone run shinko 705’s on their bike? Any other options out there touring / dual sport wise?

Just got the bike a couple of days ago. It’s and O8 was sitting for about 5 years has 2,400 miles on it now. Decided to park it until I get tires the ones that are on it are have a spooky amount of dry rot going on, and the both fork seals decided to start puking oil.

When I start the bike in the mornings it acts like it’s running on 1 cylinder for a minute or so then it starts running on two.

The other fun thing going on with it is the rear break starts to drag, until it gets hot enough and assuming boils the brake fluid. I think the slide pins are are a bit rusty to say the least.

I didn’t notice when I was checking out the bike that right side of the swing arm has a ton of flaking paint and rust underneath, I think I’m going to grab one off eBay, they seem to be plentiful.

Really after tire options right now. I plan on getting into the engine too, checking valves / spark plugs, and the other essentials before a long trip.
Ninjathyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2023, 03:11 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yup, I really like Shinko 705 on my SFV650 that I take often to dead-end on hwy-88 at Fish Creek Overlook. Also take ST on it as well. Used to take my pregen 250 on it lots before I sold it.

Can't wait until they fix landslide and get Apache Trail operational again!!!

Then it's another glorious 22-miles of dirt/gravel all way to Roosevelt Dam!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2023, 04:03 PM   #3
Ninjathyme
ninjette.org newbie

Awesome photos!

The Shinko 705 rear and kenda 671 front felt awesome on the gravel. Did about 200 miles, changed out the fork seals this weekend too.

Bike is still running like garbage.

Acts like it’s running on 1 cylinder sporadically but I think that’s because the carbs are super dirty. Above 7,000 rpm’s it’s all good but down low it’s gutless.

Bike has a stock exhaust, and I believe stock jetting any carb tweaking that should be done while I have them out? I’ve looked around on other threads but am a little overwhelmed with amount of carb content out there.

Old September 5th, 2023, 04:45 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjathyme View Post
Bike has a stock exhaust, and I believe stock jetting any carb tweaking that should be done while I have them out? I’ve looked around on other threads but am a little overwhelmed with amount of carb content out there.
In general, bone stock carbs, when perfectly clean, and with good rubber parts, run very well. Top end is on the rich side, so don't be tempted to get bigger main jets.

Our member ducatiman professionally restores them to as-new condition with quick turnaround, in case you would prefer to not get involved with them.
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2023, 08:04 PM   #5
Ninjathyme
ninjette.org newbie

So I ended up wrangling the carbs out the left side of the bike, they're stripped down. Fairly clean on the interior, all holes on the jets were clear enough to say day light thru them when looking at them closely by eye. I'll find some wire and give them a good poke too. The diaphragm on left side of the carb seemed crusty at first glance did a suck and blow test, and it seemed to operate okay.

Fuel filter at the carb gas inlet was spotless.

Is it safe to spray the carb and hoses with carb cleaner, or is it abrasive on the rubber bits?

Going to soak the jetting hardware in carb cleaner overnight, and do some further research on cleaning the ports properly.

Old September 6th, 2023, 05:21 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Don't get solvents on the diaphragms.

If you haven't seen this, it's worth looking at: https://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/10/s...-passages.html
Triple Jim is online now   Reply With Quote