ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 12th, 2013, 08:18 AM   #1
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Those integrated turn signal mirrors...DIYs missing info

I'm not sure if I read them all but the one(s) that I did read don't indicate the electrical aspect of it.

I heard with led flush mounts, I have to install something to keep it from glowing solid. Should I be installing the integrated mirrors like flush mounts then?

Old September 12th, 2013, 08:43 AM   #2
dooby
ninjette.org member

Name: Pete

Motorcycle(s): '11 250R SE (FI), '14 Daytona 675, '14 Sprint 1050 GT SE

Hi Ken,

I've recently gone to LED rear indicators, flushmount LED front indicators and LED bar end indicators and I learned a lot :-)

I realised I would need a new flasher relay because the resistance of the LEDs would probably not be enough to trigger the stock relay. This is especially true because I was removing all incandescent bulb indicators from my setup. You *might* get away with it if you are leaving some stock bulbs but I don't know.

The second thing was it took me a while to understand how the dash indicator bulb worked. It's a bit clever in that the current appears to be able to flow either way through that circuit relying on the fact that you can't be indicating right and left at the same time on our bike, so one side might be +12V but the other is guaranteed to be 0V. Because the stock bulbs don't care which direction current flows it works. Because LEDs do care, it doesn't work which is when I realised the diode modification is necessary and why.

So I think the answer to your question is yes - if the mirror's indicators are LED then you will need the diode mod and you will probably need a different flasher relay, just as if you were doing LED flushmounts.

HTH, Pete

Last futzed with by dooby; September 12th, 2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Typos
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote