ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #1
o5mooch5o
DIY newbie

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

HID Headlights Strobe

I've had my HID headlights on my 250 since August 2011 and they've been perfectly fine (http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/m...-hid-kit-p-195). Now, all of a sudden, only when both the bike is off (like, after riding and the power switch is off but key is on) and the high beam is on, they strobe and you can hear the ballasts hum with the strobe.

Bike running: they're fine even with high beam on or off;
Bike off: The low beam is fine. As soon as you but the high beam on, they strobe.

Just fyi, I do have an integrated rear light and led signals with the replaced diode and underglow kit straight from the battery w/ fuse, neither of which I think are causing the problem as they never have before and nothing has changed. It has also been cold, mid-upper 20s at night (central Jersey) and the bike has been housed outside this "spring" and covered. I've had it out the last two nights with no strobe while riding or while the bike was on whatsoever.

My gut says maybe the ballast(s)? or cold? Any ideas?

Update: So upon further review last night, if the bike is off and the high beam is not warmed up and you try to put it on, the ballast just clicks and won't even turn the light on. Now my gut is that my battery might just be low despite having the bike out for 120 miles over the last 2 days which is why they work fine with the bike running but not with it off ... Any input still appreciated.

Last futzed with by o5mooch5o; April 6th, 2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Update
o5mooch5o is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I thought the headlights turned off when the bike was powered off?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by o5mooch5o View Post
.......Now my gut is that my battery might just be low despite having the bike out for 120 miles over the last 2 days which is why they work fine with the bike running but not with it off ... Any input still appreciated.
I agree.
I would measure the voltage that the ballast feels while strobing.
The generator can be supplying during a long trip, but a defective battery may not retain that charge.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Battery
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #4
o5mooch5o
DIY newbie

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Most likely the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I thought the headlights turned off when the bike was powered off?
If you turn the switch off, all the lights stay on. Turn the key and obviously everything turns off.

But yeah, I had it down to Baltimore and back and it's doing it much much less. My guess is the cold nights combined with lack of early season riding drained the battery. It just freaked me out as it's something I've never heard of or seen.

Thanks!
o5mooch5o is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:13 AM   #5
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

it's definitely the power supplied to the ballast.

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your battery is dead, it just might not be providing the 14 volts that it would typically be provided while your bike is running.

this is a small vehicle. I wouldn't fret about it. You shouldn't be using the headlight without the bike running anyway, you'll drain the tiny battery pretty quickly.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote