ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 31st, 2015, 04:03 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Yet another windscreen review

just got a new screen so thought I'd share my experience along with the numerous other reviews on the site.

Started with the stock screen, clear, and later blacked it out with PlastiDip as I was repairing it after the wreck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Installed the front stay (new) and mounted the instrument cluster and cowling, the front cowling and headlight, and then discovered Plasti Dip!

Blacked out my windscreen, then touched up some of the black plastics by sanding and spraying.
The stock windscreen is what it is. I never really noticed anything right or wrong about it, figuring it was so low that it might as well have not been there at all. Wind hit my torso and I learned to use the dirty air right above the lip of the windscreen for support. I could feel the buffeting and hear the noise, but knew no difference.

48,000 miles later I was happy, but thought I could do better when facing a headwind. A post appeared comparing the various knock off Chinese screens on Amazon and I gave it a try.

Quote:
New windscreen!

Comparison between stock and the new one,

This one moved the wind up to my face, giving me a slight bubble to hide behind but as I get sore leaning on the tank too much, never really took advantage of it. I did learned (much later) that sitting bolt upright got my head out of the dirty wind and it was quieter and smoother. Oh well, live and learn.

Fitment is great and the screen held up nicely to all sorts of weather that I rode through. My dash, plugs, and poor little Timber stayed dry in rain unless the wind was causing a small vortex (?) behind the screen and pulled water into the void behind the bubble.

But it was really noisy and still didn't quite work when facing a head wind. Least, not that I noticed. So, after 37,000 miles with it, started looking for the touring screen.

Quote:
New windscreen! Thanks @verboten1

Only had the Zero Gravity touring screen for 600 miles now and Oh wow what a difference! It feels easier to accelerate and I'm not breaking my wrist trying to maintain speed in the wind. The bubble is easier to tuck into for me and quiet enough I can finally hear my audio books! I suspect it might help with my mileage a bit as it feels like it cuts through the air smoother than the lower shields did.

I have a big ride coming up soon so I'll update this thread on my opinions as I go along.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2015, 11:21 PM   #2
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
being a taller rider, i really want one of those!

do you still have the double bubble?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote