ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM   #1
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Anyone here trade in a Old Gen for a new one?

New owner of a 2006 Ninjette that I got at a great deal but I was thinking after getting my feet wet again and some miles under my belt I would want to go with the new gen. Did anyone trade and get good deal doing that or did most just sell their bike or keep it as backup?
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #2
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I had an '04 and traded it in (slightly damaged from very minor lowside) for my '11.
I planned on trading in for a new one the next week, just got less than I would've w/ the damage.

Love this '11 A LOT more, it is a bit slower top end, but the way I sit in it and the extra width of bike are much better suited toward my 6'1' 165lb frame.

As for trading up to a newer gen, some of my reasons:
A) current bike needs more repairs than it's worth
B) Plan on keeping the bike a long time
C) Knowledge of bike repairs are limited and I rather focus on learning to ride than learning to repair your bike.
D) Can't beat the feeling of knowing your the only person to ride the bike
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #3
algerath
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

I just sold mine

I just sold my old 95 after I bought my new bike. It was VERY easy to sell, got asking price the first day with 4-5 other interested people. It was kind of in ratty shape too.

I wouldn't hurt to see what the dealer offers for trade though, you could always say no.
algerath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #4
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Around here 250's usually go for what people are asking (usually above nada value, but dont go crazy). You'd prob be better off selling on craigslist then buying a newgen.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #5
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

The Newgen has only one advantage over the pregen - its newer.

Aside from that, the pregen has superior performance and has a center stand. The newgen is slower accelerating, gets worse mileage and doesn't have a center stand. Its also designed to run with one headlight out which looks goofy. Sorry if that offends newgen owners, but its all true.

So why would you want a newgen?
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 06:34 AM   #6
EsrTek

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post

Aside from that, the pregen has superior performance and has a center stand. The newgen is slower accelerating, gets worse mileage and doesn't have a center stand. Its also designed to run with one headlight out which looks goofy. Sorry if that offends newgen owners, but its all true.

This guy seems to have never rode a new gen and is giving his opinion as if it where pure facts... pfft

Only thing he said of factual value is about the centerstand...
but hey if you want a piece under your bike which can scrape the ground and high side you in a hard lean.. then yeah the pre-gen would be ideal!

(no centerstand is part of the reason I wanted the new gen)

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Are we going to do this in every thread like this?

Iron Ninjas!! Battle of the 250s!

Owned 'em both. Greatly prefer the new-gen model for all of the reasons listed in the linked thread. Whether I'd directly trade a pre-gen in for a new-gen is debatable, it would depend on the cost. The great advantage of ninjettes in general is how inexpensive they are, so it comes down to how much those improvements are worth to you (compared to considering even other types of bikes).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #8
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
This guy seems to have never rode a new gen and is giving his opinion as if it where pure facts... pfft

Only thing he said of factual value is about the centerstand...
but hey if you want a piece under your bike which can scrape the ground and high side you in a hard lean.. then yeah the pre-gen would be ideal!

(no centerstand is part of the reason I wanted the new gen)
the pre gen is slower then the old gen.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #9
n4mwd

Quote:

Instead of making an inflammatory statement, why not back up your disagreement with facts. Here is a link to the Wikipedia article that has the performance specs of both the EX250F (pregen) and EX250J (newgen). So exactly what part of my post was opinion?

Old July 16th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #10
EsrTek

removed post, was taking it off-topic too much... sorry to OP and n4mwd

didn't realize how much a pissy biatch I was being earlier, your obviously able to post your thoughts, didn't think I was that out of line when typin it.

Last futzed with by EsrTek; July 16th, 2011 at 10:34 PM.

Old July 16th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
n4mwd

Quote:
Ahhhh I got ya.. I should present facts when I disagree, even when you presented none.
You wrote your post as an opinion based response and did not provide facts to backup those opinions. Therefore, it reads as an opinion and therefore is taken as nothing but.
You clearly didn't review the performance specs in the wikipedia article that I provided a link to. I'm not going to argue the facts that are presented there.

To the OP:
I suggest that you first get used to the pregen. You should easily be able to accelerate 0-60 in 6 seconds. Then go to a dealer and ask for a test drive on a new Ninja 250. If you think the new styling is worth it, then go for it.

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:07 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:

Square headlights, double-stalked mirrors, and banana seats look goofy. Single-sided headlights are standard on sportbikes. Only a few have the vertical cycloptic look.

That said, the current-gen has more accessories, threaded holes for spools, no fuel switch, and it has a fuel gauge too. Well, that's something at least.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #13
kyrider

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

Did not mean to start a pissin match so forgive me. I just see myself getting a current gen in the future. May keep my girl and let my son ride her.
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:18 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Kawasaki themselves claimed 85MPG with the previous-generation and 61MPG from the current-gen, so I don't think the fuel economy drop is in question.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #15
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

I've only traded a new gen for a old gen.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #16
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:

Other than looks (which is preference, but I believe the newgen looks way better), the newgen has a much better suspension which is most important for me. Stiffer adjustable rear shock and firmer forks are a plus. It also has 17 in wheels so there are more options for better rubber. The old gen may be slightly faster accelerating and at the top end, but not enough to surpass the superior suspension.

Every bike I've owned also only has one headlight on and no centerstand, so the newgen isn't really different in that regard. Almost every sportbike I see on the road has one headlight on, so not sure how it looks goofy if it's the norm.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #17
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Almost every sportbike I see on the road has one headlight on, so not sure how it looks goofy if it's the norm.
Cause the "norm" itself looks goofy? The ZX's with dual headlights right at the turn of the century were wired to have both on. They kept that for when they turned the 2000-2002 ZX-6R into the ZZR600. Many testing groups still consider it the best headlight setup ever put on a sportbike. Just because it has recently become the "norm" doesn't make it the best or most intelligent idea. That's just my on that part anyway.

I do agree with the suspension, brakes, and tire option issues. However, there is still alot of options for the pre-gen. They used to be just as modifiable as the new-gen. However, alot of those manufacturers have turned to focus on the new-gen now and have all but stopped producing for the pre-gens. Yet others (AreaP ) have added stuff for the pre-gens.

As for the center stand, I've never heard of it causing high sides like someone had suggested. The center stand is not low enough to be in the way. Your peg scraper will hit the ground before you get close enough to hit the center stand.

I agree with the idea of the OP really thinking about just why he wants to trade from pre to new. List the pros and cons as you see them and see if it's truly worth it.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote