Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Cargo Space

Notices

Old August 3rd, 2015, 01:22 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Looking for a fix: Coocase V37 Wizard, Volt Edition

The electrical contacts in the locking mechanism of my Coocase V37 Wizard, Volt Ed. are on their way out.

The only USA distributor is Twisted Throttle, and they don't have a replacement part listed. Furthermore, I saw reference in another forum that they are not continuing to carry the brand due to quality/support issues. I tried contacting Coocase directly, but their web-form kept returning error messages (unsuccessfully retried with pop-up and add blockers off).

Came here to see if anyone had any idea how I might be able to fix this. The only "ghetto fix" I can think of is to solder wires to both ends of the connections, running the wire around to the rear over the hinges. This would keep them constantly/permanently connected. Beyond that, and other ideas?

Lid portion of lock:

Base portion of lock:

headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:30 PM   #2
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Have you tried disassembling it and cleaning/tweaking the contact points? They seem to be fairly common electronic spade type connectors. There's actually a special tool made to individually remove each connector from the plastic base. They're usually pressed in and are held in place by barbs on the metal that snag the plastic. The tool depresses the barbs allowing them to be slipped out. Once removed, new connectors can be soldered to the wires and pressed back in to the plastic. A good electronics shop should be able to help you, as they more than likely would have the removal tool and the proper replacement connectors. Since cars are full of plastic electrical plugs, a repair shop specializing in automobile electrics may be able to help also. This video shows a different type of connector, but you can get an idea on how the tool works. https://youtu.be/7orqGTmbOmY
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2015, 03:49 PM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
Have you tried disassembling it and cleaning/tweaking the contact points?
I did initially, but the contacts aren't held in place very well, so I wasn't able to do much. I was relieved when I was able to reassemble it without contacts falling out or breaking a plastic tab.

Old August 3rd, 2015, 04:20 PM   #4
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

@ headshrink : I see in Nevada Wolf's thread regarding her upcoming ride, you're near Folsom? There's a really good electronics store at 19th and J St in Sacramento that may be able to help you out if you want to buy the tool and new connectors. I think it's called Capitol Electronics.

If the connectors and wires aren't damaged but the problem is caused by them fitting too loosely in the plastic, you may be able to use an epoxy to glue them solidly in place.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #5
headshrink

I tore the whole thing apart, and those connectors have no hope. I ended up splicing a bundle of wires as jumpers, so the connectors are bypassed. Had to drill a hole to reroute the bundle in the lid too. This took a couple hours, as I think a couple wires got grounded squeezing the extra wires in a small space, so after a couple tries it worked alright. The only problem now is the remote doesn't work all of a sudden. The connector between the rack base and the case is the same type of POS, so I can't expect that to last very long or too many mechanical connect/disconnections. I'm done with making this work.

I'll use it for a while, then replace it with a bigger model (either a Givi, or super-cheap generic box).