ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Need help with a noise

Ok guys need your expertise diagnosing a problem.

Bike has 15K on it. I'm sure it needs a valve job which will be happening soon.

Last night close to home I noticed it was ticking a bit on the loud side while I was sitting at a light.

Checked it out today and it makes a ticking noise only coming back down to idle after blipping the throttle. No more odd ticking at idle (minus normal noise).

So its like...Blip...normal rev and just about getting to idle its tick, tick, tick...sometimes 4 ticks, but every time I blip the throttle.

It seems to ride fine and it has valvetrain type noise when riding but nothing that i'd say is abnormal.

Going to check it out again now to try to narrow it down but im guessing its valves or maybe cct? Any help is appreciated I know its tough to diagnose from my description. I also read any thread i could find here relating to strange noises.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #2
kkim

you've got 15k on the bike and the valves have never been checked/adjusted? if not, it's time.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #3
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Well i bought it used and have only put about 4K of those on so yes its clearly time and I'll have it done soon. I'm just wondering if its doing the bike damage to ride it.

Listened to it a bit more. Not as consistent as i thought. Coming back down to idle sometimes it ticks a couple times, sometimes is seems to 'hang on' for lack of a better term and click a few more times. Once resting at idle it seems normal as far as noises.

It doesnt sound terrible, just not normal. Anyone have any idea? Or should I just stop riding until i can take it somewhere?

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGreen View Post
Well i bought it used and have only put about 4K of those on so yes its clearly time and I'll have it done soon. I'm just wondering if its doing the bike damage to ride it.

Listened to it a bit more. Not as consistent as i thought. Coming back down to idle sometimes it ticks a couple times, sometimes is seems to 'hang on' for lack of a better term and click a few more times. Once resting at idle it seems normal as far as noises.

It doesnt sound terrible, just not normal. Anyone have any idea? Or should I just stop riding until i can take it somewhere?

When in doubt, someone should have a look. Your oil level good?

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #5
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
When in doubt, someone should have a look. Your oil level good?
Yeah, checked that first, oil level looks good. Thanks.

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #6
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

It's coming from the engine area for sure? It's not the clutch lever, right

Old June 25th, 2011, 09:08 PM   #7
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

As far as I can tell. I'll feel pretty stupid if its a piece of plastic banging around.

It's for sure coming from around the engine but can't really hear where. I've been crouching around on the throttle side blipping it trying to narrow it down but i'll have to check it out tomorrow I guess.

Old June 26th, 2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGreen View Post
As far as I can tell. I'll feel pretty stupid if its a piece of plastic banging around.

It's for sure coming from around the engine but can't really hear where. I've been crouching around on the throttle side blipping it trying to narrow it down but i'll have to check it out tomorrow I guess.
I just got my 250r a month ago, but it sounds a lot like mine does. When I have it anywhere over 2000 rpm, i put my head down and listen to my bike rattle. I always assumed it was all my fairings rattling on the bike; mine has 3000 miles on it.
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #9
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

See thats the thing thats weird is it doesnt seem audible while revving up, only when coming back down between maybe 1500-1000 rpm then goes away.

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #10
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

next time you are on the highway, put your head down and move it to the left and right side of the bike and all around and see if you hear the same sound... if not, then idk what it could be. If you do hear it, you got the same thing as me and i hope it is just the fairings!

Ill ask around, i hope you figure that one out
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2011, 07:17 PM   #11
reaperw
ninjette.org member

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

seem like alot of us are having the same noise i am thinking about taking her in to get the vavle adjusted as well.Just hate to spend 350 on this then it has the same noise
reaperw is offline   Reply With Quote