Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old May 8th, 2017, 07:02 PM   #1
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250r, 87 Honda Hurricane CBR 1000

First bike struggles

Hey guys, I just bought a 05 ninja 250 off of Craigslist and I noticed a hose that's coming out of the top of the right side carburetor is short and plugged with a bolt, the carburetor on the left side also has a hose that splits and goes to the fuel petcock and something next to that that's also attached to the carburetor via hose. Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I'm not sure what I'm doing but by the looks of it I'm running one carb?? Idk... any info helps
Scott
Sbworth17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 8th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Looks like it was part of the CA emissions systems that were removed -

Photo showing "CA emissions fitting" - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Annotated_1.jpg

More photos and info - https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Carburetor_photos
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2017, 05:06 AM   #3
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It looks like where the flux capacitor used to be. If it was there you be in some serious shite if you hit 88mph, if my calculations are correct.

Old May 9th, 2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

Wow... thank you guys for shedding light on that for me. Fortunately you are wrong I got that thing up to 90mph on the way home from buying it thank god nothing bad happened... so what do I do next? I think I mentioned the carb on the fuel petcock side has the T hose hook up, so should I run it the way it is in the picture? Put that T hose on the other carb and put a new hose on the other carb closest to the petcock?
Thanks for all your help guys!

Old May 9th, 2017, 10:31 AM   #5
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbworth17 View Post
Wow... thank you guys for shedding light on that for me. Fortunately you are wrong I got that thing up to 90mph on the way home from buying it thank god nothing bad happened... so what do I do next? I think I mentioned the carb on the fuel petcock side has the T hose hook up, so should I run it the way it is in the picture? Put that T hose on the other carb and put a new hose on the other carb closest to the petcock?
Thanks for all your help guys!
If it did 90 leave it all alone. You are lucky the flux capacitor was removed by a previous owner.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2017, 11:05 AM   #6
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

LOL
sooo it's just a vent for the emissions... sooo I should just unhook the little crack hose with the bolt pushed in it and let them flow out? Im certainly no mechanic but clogging it up does not sound like the right answer.

Old May 9th, 2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That depends on whether the non-CA systems had a vent there, or if it was blocked. I wouldn't just unblock it if it's connected to carb vacuum, for example.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #8
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

Ok so I took off the tank for further review and came across this hose with brown tape around it that was directed under the carbs going through to the other side and just hangin out... could this be the missing link? Would it be stupid to plug it in to the 'clogged up carb'? Aka pull the little inch long hose with the bolt in it, out and plug in this hanging hose to the top of the carb.....
what do you mean if it's connected to a carb vacuum? Would I be able to see this somewhere or are you saying it's plugged to cause a vacuum effect which kinda makes sense to me now that I say it lol

Old May 9th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
That's probably a drain and meant to dangle like that.

I don't know pregens per se, because mine was an 08.

It's a good idea to get hold of a factory maintenance manual, which covers all this stuff complete with diagrams. Far better than guessing and well worth the effort/cost to get (depending on where you get it from).

Never forget that anything you pick up from the net is worth every penny you're paying for it.

You can also learn a lot by perusing parts diagrams at the regular oem part sources... partzilla, bikebandit, etc.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 9th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

I have the manual I just hate looking through it lol sooo I looked through it and I found out that the hose that was hanging with the brown tape on it is actually dirty white tape and it's running from the vapor/liquid separator and is supposed to go to the top of the carburetor.... just as I thought. Tell me if this sounds right... now I'm thinking he put a carburetor in it from a 08 model?? And didn't put a vacuum valve in it... and so he plugged the hole to get suction? Compression? Does that sound right?

Old May 10th, 2017, 06:49 AM   #11
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
If you have the maintenance manual (NOT THE OWNER'S MANUAL) it has all the answers. Really hard to figure out what's going on from a handful of photos. Someone intimately familiar with CA-spec pregens might see stuff they recognize... sorry I can't be of more help.

It's a really good idea to learn this stuff for yourself anyway. Knowledge earned is far better than quick answers spoon fed to you, because you will know what's going on and why.

Ask:

- What am I trying to accomplish?
- Is anything actually wrong with the way the bike runs? (See first question above)
- What does the stock setup look like?
- How is the current setup different? Are there parts missing? (When I did the Kleen Air delete on mine, a couple of hoses and a valve went into the spare parts box.)

Think it through. You got this. You'll come out on the other end with a better understanding of your bike, and you'll be a better mechanic.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2017, 10:02 AM   #12
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My CA-pre-gen is missing a thing on top the carb, too. I've decided not to worry about it since the bike runs fine. I think it's something related to emissions. There's a hose that doesn't seem to connect to anything.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #13
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
If you have the maintenance manual (NOT THE OWNER'S MANUAL) it has all the answers. Really hard to figure out what's going on from a handful of photos. Someone intimately familiar with CA-spec pregens might see stuff they recognize... sorry I can't be of more help.

It's a really good idea to learn this stuff for yourself anyway. Knowledge earned is far better than quick answers spoon fed to you, because you will know what's going on and why.

Ask:

- What am I trying to accomplish?
- Is anything actually wrong with the way the bike runs? (See first question above)
- What does the stock setup look like?
- How is the current setup different? Are there parts missing? (When I did the Kleen Air delete on mine, a couple of hoses and a valve went into the spare parts box.)

Think it through. You got this. You'll come out on the other end with a better understanding of your bike, and you'll be a better mechanic.

Yeah I have the Clymers maintenance manual for it if that's what your talking about. I just don't go right to it because those damn things never have (what you would think would be obvious) a parts diagram that can tell me straight up what every part is on the bike. Plus talking about it helps me figure it out as well i found out a lot by just trying to post accurate information. Anyway... I read all your blogs man I loved every one of them, your very good at drawing a mental picture for your reader I felt like I was writing all that **** myself lol. I wanna be like you one day(experienced, well-versed, crazy, and still alive). Anyway, ya I know doing it myself is always the best way especially doing the little things as you mentioned in one of your articles about rider aids(****in loved it) so I'm giving up on the cheap/easy way out, as for the questions I should be asking myself I'm doing this because the bike won't start lol. My first guess was I flooded it, second was, I let it idle to much, I don't get to ride it as much as I want.. I use it for SHORT(man I wish I worked 100miles away)commute to work and now I'm out of work.. married w/ two kids.... sooo more like never get to lol... so I go out and figdette with it start it warm it up rev it n smell it lol and then turn it off... so I removed the carburetors to clean em out and noticed the plugged inlet or whatever with the bolt which led to all of this. And I got the carbs back on it all hooked up and still didn't start, I took out the spark plugs and they're black... carbon fouled I believe... so my next question is, what do you do to fix a carbon fouled plug? The book mentions the insulation possibly being ruined after finding the plugs like that, that's talking about insulation in what, the spark plug boot? So just get new boots and plugs?

Last futzed with by Sbworth17; May 10th, 2017 at 08:31 PM.

Old May 10th, 2017, 04:22 PM   #14
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hello and welcome!

Dark plugs could just be from starting it up and stopping it quickly without riding to a full warm-up. On those, I just rub some sandpaper in the spark-plug gap to rub off the carbon.

As for not starting, usual test:

- air
- fuel
- spark

Do you have all three?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #15
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
My CA-pre-gen is missing a thing on top the carb, too. I've decided not to worry about it since the bike runs fine. I think it's something related to emissions. There's a hose that doesn't seem to connect to anything.
Ok cool so maybe he didn't put an '08 carb on it like I thought, maybe this is just how it's supposed to work? I'm going to plug everything in the way it 'should' be and see what happens I guess

Old May 10th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #16
Sbworth17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacRyann View Post
Hello and welcome!

Dark plugs could just be from starting it up and stopping it quickly without riding to a full warm-up. On those, I just rub some sandpaper in the spark-plug gap to rub off the carbon.

As for not starting, usual test:

- air
- fuel
- spark

Do you have all three?
Damnit! I tossed em dude. How do I test for air? I'm sure im getting gas, I'll get two new plugs lol, I messed with the air box to get to the carbs it all seemed hooked up maybe the filters filthy? Didn't seem too bad.. but I'll check

Old May 11th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #17
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
If there's air coming out your exhaust, then there's air coming into the engine. Put your hand by muffler-outlet and feel for puffs.

Improperly plugged ports on carbs would cause fuel issue. Might be too much fuel? Float-bowl vents should always be opened. Vacuum-sources should be plugged if they're not used for anything. Do you have vacuum line going to petcock?

Test for spark with plug outside engine. Insert plug into wire and ground outside. Lay on metal of engine or alligator-clip to chassis. Do you see spark jump gap when you crank? Is it a strong thick blue/white spark? Or a thin orange/red spark?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 04:07 PM   #18
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome! ,
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #19
highvoltj
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1986 Ninja 250R (x2) '06 ZX6R 636

re;

Had you hit 88 mph with the Flux-capacitor intact, you may have run into that tree andkilled a pine!! "Space Bastards"!!!
highvoltj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #20
highvoltj
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, 1986 Ninja 250R (x2) '06 ZX6R 636

Ca emissions

When I removed the stock airbox for K&N pods, I also went the distance on my '08 250R and removed all Cali emissions and used sano plugs where needed.
Also blank plate on head for egr tube cover.
highvoltj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #21
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome

Old May 19th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote