ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 7th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #1
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

Checking Coolant with the fairing on?

This is going to sound dumb...

I'm having trouble checking my coolant level with the fairing still on. I'm using the proper coolant (green, diluted properly etc.) but I just can't see where the level is inside the container with the bike upright. If I take the filler cap off with the bike on the sidestand, the coolant comes up to the level of the cap, so I can't imagine putting any more in there. I checked it with the fairing off, and the level is fine.

Is this just me? Any tips for seeing the coolant through the container while outdoors? I'd hate to have to pull a fairing off every time I want to check the level.
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Kawikaze

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R SE (Sold)

I use a mini flashlight key chain that I simply place up against the reservoir. Once the light shines through, it shows where your coolant level stands.

Old October 8th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #3
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I used to use a good flashlight pointed in from the radiator area or below, but it can still be difficult to see the level on a bright day. I don't know why they didn't use a clearer plastic for the coolant jug, it's just a PITA.
I got so ticked off the other day I pulled off the front of the side cover so I could fit my fingers behind the fairing to screw off the coolant cap. Just the front grommet after I had losened the phillips nut holding the side cover on. I could see the level perfectly like that and it was actually a lot easier and less aggrivating than trying to see the level with a flashlight and I didn't have to touch the fairing.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #4
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

much easier on a dark night with a bright flashlight - seems kind of odd doesn't it.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I was able to see it with sunlight once shortly after I got the bike. Even a year and a half later I've had to dip in the reservoir every other time, usually after I get frustrated because I've wasted half an hour moving the bike in and out of sunlight trying my best to see it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #6
zail
ninjette.org member

Name: zail

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250r

I think the difficulty of seeing the coolant level is one of the most annoying things about this bike! Esp considering it's something that should be part of a regular visual check!