ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 9th, 2017, 11:50 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - Harley-Davidson Introduces New Model –*And it's Not a Cruiser!

Harley-Davidson Introduces New Model – And It's Not a Cruiser!

With 2017 Street Rod Harley Takes Step in New Direction

Harley-Davidson has pulled the cover off a new motorcycle that is set to take American motorcycling in a new direction. With standard footpegs (Harley optimistically refers to them as rear-set) and a 27-degree fork rake, it is decidedly not a cruiser.

Powered by the same 750cc liquid-cooled V-twin found in the existing Street 750, the new Street Rod is clearly aimed at responding to riders' decades-old calls for an American standard. Although Harley-Davidson says the Street Rod's targeted environment is urban, it suggests there's even more than meets the eye in terms of performance and handling.

“It gets your attention. And we wanted a chassis to match, sharp handling and aggressive, perfect for urban cut-and-thrust and canyon carving," said Harley-Davidson Chief Engineer Mathew Weber.

To that end, the Street Rod reportedly offers 8-10 percent more torque (depending on market) through the mid-range than on the Street 750, and 18-20 percent more horsepower. No official figures have been offered, but based on Street 750 dyno figures and our own fuzzy math, that suggests the Street Rod will deliver roughly 68 hp at peak (8750 rpm) and 47 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm. Pretty decent numbers that – on paper – put it on par with the new Kawasaki Z650.

“The Street Rod’s new High Output Revolution X 750 has got hot cams, gas-flowed heads, more compression and a higher redline,” said Weber.

'Drenched in Harley-Davidson Dark Custom™ styling'

If the name doesn't give it away already, the Street Rod's styling clearly echoes that of the somewhat maligned V-Rod. Blacked-out forks and triple clamps, a*speed screen, and dual front discs (!) give the front end a robust feel. The rear is accented with a*new tail section, with perforated rear mudguard, and LED taillight and indicators. The presence of 17-inch wheels suggests riders will be able to find good rubber.

"The Street Rod also features a larger volume air box and new dual 42mm throttle bodies, new four-valve cylinder heads and high-lift camshafts, plus a higher-volume exhaust muffler – all designed to increase airflow and efficiency," according to a Harley-Davidson media release. "Compression ratio is raised from 11.0:1 to 12.0:1 and the redline goes from 8000 to 9000 rpm."

The biggest story of the Street Rod, though, comes in its chassis.

“Tires, wheels, suspension and frame geometry are engineered to work together and deliver handling that’s light and precise at all speeds,” said Weber.

The 27-degree fork rake (as opposed to 32 degrees on the Street 750) will allow for more agile steering, and Harley says lean angle has been increased quite a bit, to 37.3 degrees on the left and 40.2 degrees on the right (compared with 28.5 on both sides for the Street 750). Seat height has been raised to 765 mm (30.1 inches) and the pegs place a rider's foot just a little behind the knee. Harley-Davidson describes the pegs as rear-set, but we'd say they offer a more comfortable "standard" riding position.

The front end features rigid 43mm USD forks gripped by lightweight aluminium yokes. New rear shock absorbers feature an external reservoir to increase fluid capacity and maintain damping consistency; travel has been increased 31 percent to a respectable 117 mm (4.6 inches). The swingarm is slightly longer to accommodate the taller shocks, which will aid in handling.

Flat, drag-style handlebars create an aggressive riding position, according to Harley. Again, looking at photos of riders on the bike we'd say it's more a standard riding stance, but it's easy to forgive Harley for its use of hyperbole here. The word "standard" doesn't tend to elicit excitement in people. And from everything we see, the Street Rod appears to be a bike worth getting excited about. Meanwhile,*bar-end rear-view mirrors can be mounted above or below the grips, and feature a patent-pending design that allows them to fold back without interfering with the rider’s hands. Sounds like that means they'll be useful for folks wanting to use the Street Rod to filter (i.e., lane split) through traffic.

The Street Rod wears Michelin Scorcher 21 radial tires out of the box, but we've had a quick check of its rim sizes –120/70 R17V front and 160/60 R17V rear – and it appears the bike would accommodate a quality sport-touring tire like the Dunlop Roadsmart III. Lastly, with increased go comes increased whoa. The Street Rod is equipped with TWO 300mm discs up front and a single disc at the rear. ABS is standard on European models and is available as a $750 option in the United States.

The Street Rod is available in Vivid Black, Charcoal Denim, or Olive Gold, with a US starting price of $8,699 (£6,745 in the UK).

We'll be getting our first chance to ride the Street Rod next week. To put it mildly: we can't wait.

More from RideApart:
     Related Stories

Click here for full story...

Old March 9th, 2017, 12:42 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Holy crap. A Harley I don't instantly hate.

Not that I love it, but at least it doesn't make me go "eh" yet again.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:05 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
With great interest, I went to the Harley site and checked the specs. When I saw this one: Weight, In Running Order 516 lb. I instantly lost all interest in it. That's more than 100 pounds heavier than a Yamaha FZ-07. It also has less power, and a $1,500 higher price. So it's a step in the right direction, but still quite a few steps behind buyable for me.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #4
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
Harley needs to realize that there competitors is more than american made product
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Damn a Harley I can see myself riding, that's impressive. I don't think I'm getting one but still, good job HD with the move in a good direction

Old March 10th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #6
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Yeah, a move in the right direction. It sounds heavy, though, which doesn't thrill me.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2017, 04:02 PM   #7
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Looks like an attempt to create a Ducati Monstro vibe but 25 years after that started and less innovative.
Harley should stick to making Harleys. Shame they sold the 50% Aermacchi stake, it would have been able to run a more sporting brand against Ducati (who now own it)

Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2017, 05:57 PM   #8
steiny
ninjette.org member

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): Zrx1100,ZRX1200, C14, CRF100's,KLX400

https://www.brocksperformance.com/br...=818&zoneid=22

Found this on Brocks web site , Looks nice
steiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2017, 07:05 AM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Holy ****, this is modern! drop about 80 lbs off this thing and it would be legitimately sporty, methinks.

I like it. Definitely not a knee-dragging "sport" bike that we all love, but for a Hardly-Ableson, it's a great change. 2 rotors, their new liquid cooled engine, a steeper head angle, and increased lean angle? Good work, H-D Mo Co.

I'm interested in reviews. This legitimately might be something I'm interested in, besides the weight.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #10
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Some angles look Kwaka Z1r, others Honda 750 four, it sort of looks like a retro from all angles.

I cannot see the HD diehards buying one, I assume HD are looking at the younger coffee shop hoppers to purchase it, with that it needs to lose a ton of weight to appeal to the younger and novice riders.

I would pass on it mainly due to the weight.

Lets give it 12 months to see how reliable it is.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #11
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Yes, and it's also being made with overseas markets in mind, and will be a high end motorcycle in a country like India.

Old March 11th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #12
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

From wicki, so take it with a grain of salt but.....

Production for sale in the United States and Canada is done at Harley's Kansas City facility; production for the rest of the world, including engines, is done at the Harley-Davidson India subsidiary in Bawal with indigenous components.[3][6

Being in Australia that would make ours a Indian Harley.

Sort of like the Mercedes that are made in Hungary.

Maybe not for me....
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2017, 09:24 PM   #13
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
From wicki, so take it with a grain of salt but.....
I find Wikipedia to have fewer errors than sources like my old World Book Encyclopedia.

Last futzed with by Triple Jim; March 12th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.

Old March 12th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #14
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ People automatically bag on Wikipedia, but if one actually takes the time to search through the cited references for a lot of articles, one will find legitimate information.

No joke, Wikipedia was a great reference for a lot of engineering school. Looking up formulas, alternative explanations for concepts in class, common assumptions to simplify for a common application, etc.

Now... there are also doozies where edits have been made with less than academic intentions in mind, but hey. In my experience, Wikipedia articles are very quickly reviewed when changes are made. If a change doesn't look academic, it's quickly cut out. If a change looks like it was made with the right intent but not validated through citation, it's flagged as [citation needed] or something to that extent.

It's great for a 5 minute reference that can lead to further information if you so choose. It's not going to hold up in court, but better than hazy recollection.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 12th, 2017, 09:53 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
It's not going to hold up in court, but better than hazy recollection.
But then what quote from any encyclopedia will?

I just looked up some information about the formation of the earth in my old World Book Encyclopedia this morning. I did it to see how much the information has changed in 50 years. I noticed that at the end of the article, there was a list titled "Books to Read", but no actual sources. How then is this well respected Encyclopedia better than Wikipedia?

Sorry, end of hijack.

Old March 13th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #16
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I'm looking forward to taking one for a test ride.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote